 iPhone 4

noob
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:46am
Anyone here have one? Like it? How does is compare to the 3GS?

I futzed with one at the Apple store. The retina display is amazing, looks like ink on paper. The 3GS is $100 cheaper, but they didn't have one in the store for comparison.
|
flarider
7/23/2010 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2010 1:29pm
The picture quality on video is "HD-like"

I like it has an LED flash for pictures (nice)

The video conference thing you see on tv works ONLY on wifi and ONLY when both users are on an iPhone4 (maybe someone will come up with an app, but Apple will likely block it)

Only negative I have heard is the "left corner" issue that drops calls, but is remedied with a case/cover/piece of duct tape (seriously) and the overall reception is a wee bit less

Battery life is supposedly much improved

There's a wait for it right now, which is fine because I want to see more feedback on batt life, as that is the biggest reason for me to switch from the 3GS
noob
7/23/2010 1:43pm
How long does the battery last on your 3GS?
flarider
7/23/2010 1:57pm
Websurfing and shit, couple hours - total killer
Phone only, depending on length of calls, 6-8 hrs
Calls and surfing, forget it

Battery life is my only real complaint of the iPhone, otherwise I love it
sc961
7/23/2010 1:59pm
Dave, my complaint is everytime I see one of your posts it makes me hungry..

Damnit, change your picture before I have to get pants with a larger waist size!

The Shop

noob
7/23/2010 2:08pm
flarider wrote:
Websurfing and shit, couple hours - total killer Phone only, depending on length of calls, 6-8 hrs Calls and surfing, forget it Battery life is my...
Websurfing and shit, couple hours - total killer
Phone only, depending on length of calls, 6-8 hrs
Calls and surfing, forget it

Battery life is my only real complaint of the iPhone, otherwise I love it
Couple hours? Bummer. I'm more interested in the mobile internet and apps than the actual phone.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
7/23/2010 2:23pm
Battery life is better than my 3gs I had before.

My whole issue is the proximity sensor. I hang up on people all the time. If you don't keep it firmly against your head it will activate the screen. Jobs said it will be fixed in the next software update. I have had every Iphone and this is the only one with this issue. Anytime I type or move around and am talking I either mute the call or hang up on the person or something. They weren't joking when they said the phone had facetime...I just didn't know what facetime they were talking about!!
zjbell
7/23/2010 3:05pm
My 3GS does pretty good on battery life, I think brightness has a lot to do with it. I bought an external battery for $30 bucks and the thing works great.
flarider
7/23/2010 3:14pm
I carry an external battery if I will be out all day
TeamGreen
7/23/2010 3:22pm
I kept the 3G under the advice of someone in Cupertino who suggested I jus' wait a lil' while and be happy with the good battery life that I've got. All of which supports Dave's points.

Also, I'm waitin' to see if the new one is worth a shit in the near-term...again, all the same reasons as Dave stated.

I'm of the opinion that my 3G (With pseudo 3GS capabilities) is fine for my Phone/PDA & I'll jus' get one of the WiFi/4G-64(128?) I-Pads.

In the mean-time: I'm waitin' on a new Mac Book Air that'll probably kill any desire I have for any of this hand-held stuff...
J.F.S
7/23/2010 3:31pm
I couldnt care less what people say or dont say, I am getting an Iphone 4 regardless, lets face it,
TeamGreen
7/23/2010 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2010 3:40pm
A Question for you Apple-Types:

Any of you runnin' your day to day world on a Mac Book and a Time-Capsule?

I'm thinkin' a book w/ external key-board, monitor and the Time Capsule and I'm DONE?! Right?

Time machine in the office for my off-book file storage and I'd i-Life to it whenever I'm on-line...so...anyone?

Add a "mini" if needed, and..still...I'm DONE!

(A Tera is WAAAAAAAY more than I'll use...)

Any real-world Apple users with an opinion on this?
flarider
7/23/2010 3:41pm
MacBook Pro on a 1TB Time machine

Works great
Never notice it's working

Few months back I spilled water into my MB Pro
Bought new one, restored from Time machine and it's like nothing ever happened

(thank God insurance covered the damage and paid for new one)
TeamGreen
7/23/2010 3:43pm
flarider wrote:
MacBook Pro on a 1TB Time machine Works great Never notice it's working Few months back I spilled water into my MB Pro Bought new one...
MacBook Pro on a 1TB Time machine

Works great
Never notice it's working

Few months back I spilled water into my MB Pro
Bought new one, restored from Time machine and it's like nothing ever happened

(thank God insurance covered the damage and paid for new one)
Another Q...

Do you have many application "cross-over" issues with your day to day stuff...like attachments in Word/MS Office...any Solid Works, etc.?

Thanks
flarider
7/23/2010 3:52pm
I use VMWare Fusion to boot WinXP, for the sole purpose of invoicing on QB Pro

The Mac version of QB Pro is supposedly not as good, and I have always used the Win version.

VMWare Fusion boots like an app, runs like an app and I can even drag and drop from Win to Mac and Mac to Win. So when I do a back up of my QB, I have a saved version in WinXP and I also drag/drop a copy into a folder on my Mac desktop

HIGHLY recommend VMWare Fusion
You can boot and run Win and Mac simultaneously, no separate booting

TeamGreen
7/23/2010 3:55pm
flarider wrote:
I use VMWare Fusion to boot WinXP, for the sole purpose of invoicing on QB Pro The Mac version of QB Pro is supposedly not as...
I use VMWare Fusion to boot WinXP, for the sole purpose of invoicing on QB Pro

The Mac version of QB Pro is supposedly not as good, and I have always used the Win version.

VMWare Fusion boots like an app, runs like an app and I can even drag and drop from Win to Mac and Mac to Win. So when I do a back up of my QB, I have a saved version in WinXP and I also drag/drop a copy into a folder on my Mac desktop

HIGHLY recommend VMWare Fusion
You can boot and run Win and Mac simultaneously, no separate booting

Classic!

I'm going to try this on a friends system (He's in the publishing biz) and if that's the wya to run S-Works, too...well...

I'm set!

Thanks!

Btw, I asked, else-where, if there's a comparable Rockstar product for your Monster Q...
Bob693
7/23/2010 4:14pm
I have the iPhone 4 and I love it. I haven't had any issues with the left corner deal. I'm a lefty and can only make it lose a couple of bars if I try and block it. Battery life is greatly improved over my 3G. I had to make sure to plug it in the car if I wanted it to last all day (I'm always on it) while the new one will have about 40% left if I don't charge in the car. If you hold a 3GS next to the 4 the difference in the screen resolution is huge. Only complaint is like tcannon said, the proximity sensor.
Scotty
7/23/2010 7:51pm
I've noticed when I d/l'd the OS4 for the my 3GS phone the battery life seems like it cut in half. I think the new software is to much for the older phones.. I'm also planning on getting a 4 version soon.. I think the whole argument is rather stupid about the antenna needing a protective case, since 99% of iPhone users use a case anyway on their phone.. The 4 version is the shit.. Way faster the 3Gs and the screen graphics are incredible.
swizcore
7/23/2010 8:35pm
I was holding out for the white 4G but with the extended delay announced this morning I said eff it and ordered a black one.
Cygnus
7/24/2010 5:59am
I have a 3gs and I thought it was the shit. But once you realise how many websites use flashand the shit battery, It makes the iphone seem like a toy. I will be switching away from this POS as soon as my contract is up.
huck
7/24/2010 6:36am

Service is worse than my 3G.
The screen turns on when I'm on calls.
It drops calls regularly.
Service goes from 4 bars on 3G to 1 bar on edge. WIthout even moving the phone.

Battery life does seem to last a lot longer.
Typical day of a lot of texting, checking emails, listening to blue tooth music and doing a little internet would have my 3G needing a charge towards the end of the day. So far, this one has lasted all day without any trouble.

flarider
7/24/2010 6:38am
Flash isn't a big deal for me
Battery has bugged me

I will be upgrading, but since there is a wait list and at least a week's backorder, I figure I will wait until inventory is more on-hand.
My thinking is, these later models filling in the B/O and wait list, might be slightly modified over the early versions and perform a little better

Just like with new bikes, NEVER buy new/re-do models, either wait a year or wait for later production runs

I'm waiting for later production runs on i4
Cygnus
7/24/2010 7:00am
If I never see another blue lego it would be fine with me. iphone= junk. Apple needs to get over themselves.JMO
swizcore
7/24/2010 7:54am
flarider wrote:
Flash isn't a big deal for me Battery has bugged me I will be upgrading, but since there is a wait list and at least a...
Flash isn't a big deal for me
Battery has bugged me

I will be upgrading, but since there is a wait list and at least a week's backorder, I figure I will wait until inventory is more on-hand.
My thinking is, these later models filling in the B/O and wait list, might be slightly modified over the early versions and perform a little better

Just like with new bikes, NEVER buy new/re-do models, either wait a year or wait for later production runs

My brother in law ordered his Monday and it arrived yesterday, that may be an anomaly, or not.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
7/24/2010 11:29am

Me too, I will just stick it out with my 3gs.
Scotty
7/24/2010 11:49am
Cygnus wrote:
If I never see another blue lego it would be fine with me. iphone= junk. Apple needs to get over themselves.JMO
Man I've had a lot of phones over the years, and I think the iPhone is the best yet.. Haven't tried a Droid yet though. Flash is going away soon anyways IMO. Thats old school technology

Post a reply to:  iPhone 4

The Latest