does drug rehab work?

doofy
10/27/2017 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2017 12:57pm
Have you heard of Sick Recovery? Personally don't know a whole lot about the program but seems like an awesome path for the mx minded. He's...
Have you heard of Sick Recovery? Personally don't know a whole lot about the program but seems like an awesome path for the mx minded. He's got a bunch of great videos on facebook too.

https://www.sickrecoveryllc.com/

https://www.facebook.com/sickrecovery/videos/1977289342519732/

doofy wrote:
Called and called but the # was disconnected. Finally found the right number on facebook, called it - rang a few times then sent to vmail...
Called and called but the # was disconnected. Finally found the right number on facebook, called it - rang a few times then sent to vmail. Sent a text saying i was eager to get into to program, and needed help and had some questions. Was told id hear back in a couple hours. Never heard back. Also send them a fb message with my #, it was read but not responded to.

Im not here to bash anyone but i think its hilarious how the guy who runs the program posts videos about how we need to call each other on our bullshit and taking accountability, when you literally have someone reaching out asking for help to be totally blown off like a nuisance.
Hey dude. My names Kevin Kolb. First, I wanna thank my buddy who’s on here a lot for letting me know this was posted. 2nd I...
Hey dude. My names Kevin Kolb. First, I wanna thank my buddy who’s on here a lot for letting me know this was posted. 2nd I need to apologize if I missed a call or made a mistake. That’s not me man, I try my hardest to get back to everyone. Some days that’s a full time job In itself and I’m grateful to be busy helping others. Here’s my cell. 484-219-5949. I have had an issue with returning emails on my website and we are working at fixing that. And to the dude he said I probably relapsed, NOT A CHANCE BRO....I’m a lifer on this side. Haha. Please send me a text tomorrow morning. Part of my problem is that living at a Track means I’m in the middle of nowhere, and that also means I have no service...so the only time I get calls and texts is if I’m inside the building with WiFi. I’m working on all this. No excuses...I’ll do my best to get to you as soon as I can. Thanks for setting me straight!

Kevin David Kolb
SRR
I did text you back, maybe a week ago once I got a reoly from you and I replied and again never heard back.

But anyways folks, im being admitted in 1 hour. Talk to yall in a month or so
doofy
10/27/2017 1:06pm
And I also want to tell everyone thanks for the kind words and advice. I usually know better then to post personal shit on here, the way we all bust each others balls, so I kinda figured that I was asking for it by posting this. Later!
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
10/27/2017 4:20pm
Best of luck doofy, update us when you get out.

And yeah we bust each other's balls, just like real life friends (kinda weird huh?) But some things are too serious. Your life is one of those things.
erik_94COBRA
10/31/2017 1:26pm
Doofy, it takes big balls to air out your most vulnerable of problems in a forum like this. Keep us posted on your progress. Prayers and good vibes to you.

The Shop

doofy
11/1/2017 5:48pm
Im back boys. I always assumed rehab programs were a month or so, apparently insurance companies got tired of doing that so basically now theyll pay for 1 week.

I just did my week. No bs, hardest thing Ive ever done. I didnt take any of the detox meds they had and kinda white knuckled it. Not a wink of sleep for 6 days. Felt hysterical, like i could burst out with laughter and/or sob at the same time, haha. Now I can sleep for maybe an hour a night and have the most bizarre dreams ever. Im not sure Im on board with the 12 step program, kinda seemed like just fraternizing about what shitbags we are inside and how we wreck our/our loved ones lives. I am not proud of the things Ive done but all I can do is change my ways and move forward.

Im glad I went, and at first I was happy with my counselor, he kinda "talked me off the ledge" at about 3am on day 3 when I was ready to check myself out. But as my discharge day approached he started harping on me suuuuper hard about going to live at a halfway house and attending their partial hospitalization for a remaining 3 weeks.... at an additional $1000.

When I respectfully declined, I was more or less told good luck and how great my chance at relapse was had I not heed his advice. It was a slap in the face. Felt like dealing with a car salesman.

Anyway, thank everyone for all the positive comments.
JRT812
11/1/2017 6:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 6:35pm
Not bashing and glad you went. Hopefully it will be a first step, but you may have needed more than a week. I know that most places provide financial assistance or even pay in full when this happens Not for all places and don’t know the criteria to be selected, but they have sponsors donate for this very reason. The 12 step program is just a tool for you to use while also providing insights and other avenues to stay sober. I hope you buy into the process which unfortunately is probably longer than a week...maybe not for you.

However, I will also agree rehab is a business that intends to make money just like any other business. Doesn’t mean the people and the process presented isn’t there to help you through this journey. Hang in there Doofy.
11/1/2017 7:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 7:26pm
Maybe attend some NA meetings. I know when I was trying to get clean, I made over 500 meetings in my first year. More of a way of occupying my time somewhere other than the previous methods. First thing they suggest is to get a sponsor. I tried three different people in the first two years. They are just people, with similar problems as others in recovery.

Did a lot of step work. A bit of service work for the groups. After 5-6 years of continuous meetings, I tapered off a bit. Never completed all twelve steps, as I never clicked with any of my sponsors. The step work is more about changing old behaviors, making amends, and not repeating the same life patterns which got us to our lowest point.

All I can say is, sponsors won't keep you clean, meetings won't, nor step work. You have to STAY clean, meaning abstaining from all mind altering drugs. I had been clean about a month or so before I ever stepped foot into the rooms of NA. It is a good avenue for fellow ship.

Everyone is different. I am in no way suggesting to follow my lead. You have to find what works for you. But staying clean is the first step. None of the steps, sponsors ,meetings, service work , are going to help if you do not stay clean.

Basically, just try to find a better way to live, without the use of drugs. I still have some bad character defects. Will always be an addict, with addictive behavior. The steps offer a different way of looking at life, and possibly a new way to live.

My program is not ,and has not been the best. I have stayed clean, though. But still feel like a shitty person a lot of the time. Not the nicest, or friendliest. This is where step work with the RIGHT sponsor could be very beneficial.

I'll have 11 years clean day after tomorrow. Not sure how I managed to do it. But clean time does not mean recovery time. Just a non active addict. But things are a bit better without using.

Rehab may be helpful. I was so down ,out ,and broke that I could not afford it. I detoxed in my garage (man cave) for about 10 days. Went inside to take a shit when I could, but just laid on an old couch for the most part, looking at my old bikes, worn out parts, a messy shop area. It sucked.

I can tell you what did not work for me. And this is just my experience. I ended up seeing a couple of different psychiatrist within the first year of being clean. The counseling was okay, but instantly they brewed up a cocktail of meds, changing them as time went on.

It helped a bit at first, but each change was not much different. I finally quit going, and quit the meds. Another 10 days of hell getting off that stuff. Did not realize the effect they had on my mind, equilibrium, motor skills, etc, until I had been off them for about three days.

The meds had me pretty dulled , and I did not even realize it.
JPT
11/1/2017 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 7:14pm
Remember, this may the first time you needed some help, this is not the first time they've helped someone. Listen to what they're telling you, not what the drug is telling you.

Hope the very best for you.
APLMAN99
11/1/2017 8:40pm
doofy wrote:
Im back boys. I always assumed rehab programs were a month or so, apparently insurance companies got tired of doing that so basically now theyll pay...
Im back boys. I always assumed rehab programs were a month or so, apparently insurance companies got tired of doing that so basically now theyll pay for 1 week.

I just did my week. No bs, hardest thing Ive ever done. I didnt take any of the detox meds they had and kinda white knuckled it. Not a wink of sleep for 6 days. Felt hysterical, like i could burst out with laughter and/or sob at the same time, haha. Now I can sleep for maybe an hour a night and have the most bizarre dreams ever. Im not sure Im on board with the 12 step program, kinda seemed like just fraternizing about what shitbags we are inside and how we wreck our/our loved ones lives. I am not proud of the things Ive done but all I can do is change my ways and move forward.

Im glad I went, and at first I was happy with my counselor, he kinda "talked me off the ledge" at about 3am on day 3 when I was ready to check myself out. But as my discharge day approached he started harping on me suuuuper hard about going to live at a halfway house and attending their partial hospitalization for a remaining 3 weeks.... at an additional $1000.

When I respectfully declined, I was more or less told good luck and how great my chance at relapse was had I not heed his advice. It was a slap in the face. Felt like dealing with a car salesman.

Anyway, thank everyone for all the positive comments.
You've spent $1000 on plenty of things that hurt you, it's not that much in the grand scheme of things for something that could help drastically change your life for the better.

Like someone said above, this may be your first rodeo, but it isn't theirs.

Good luck.
doofy
11/2/2017 12:49pm
Maybe attend some NA meetings. I know when I was trying to get clean, I made over 500 meetings in my first year. More of a...
Maybe attend some NA meetings. I know when I was trying to get clean, I made over 500 meetings in my first year. More of a way of occupying my time somewhere other than the previous methods. First thing they suggest is to get a sponsor. I tried three different people in the first two years. They are just people, with similar problems as others in recovery.

Did a lot of step work. A bit of service work for the groups. After 5-6 years of continuous meetings, I tapered off a bit. Never completed all twelve steps, as I never clicked with any of my sponsors. The step work is more about changing old behaviors, making amends, and not repeating the same life patterns which got us to our lowest point.

All I can say is, sponsors won't keep you clean, meetings won't, nor step work. You have to STAY clean, meaning abstaining from all mind altering drugs. I had been clean about a month or so before I ever stepped foot into the rooms of NA. It is a good avenue for fellow ship.

Everyone is different. I am in no way suggesting to follow my lead. You have to find what works for you. But staying clean is the first step. None of the steps, sponsors ,meetings, service work , are going to help if you do not stay clean.

Basically, just try to find a better way to live, without the use of drugs. I still have some bad character defects. Will always be an addict, with addictive behavior. The steps offer a different way of looking at life, and possibly a new way to live.

My program is not ,and has not been the best. I have stayed clean, though. But still feel like a shitty person a lot of the time. Not the nicest, or friendliest. This is where step work with the RIGHT sponsor could be very beneficial.

I'll have 11 years clean day after tomorrow. Not sure how I managed to do it. But clean time does not mean recovery time. Just a non active addict. But things are a bit better without using.

Rehab may be helpful. I was so down ,out ,and broke that I could not afford it. I detoxed in my garage (man cave) for about 10 days. Went inside to take a shit when I could, but just laid on an old couch for the most part, looking at my old bikes, worn out parts, a messy shop area. It sucked.

I can tell you what did not work for me. And this is just my experience. I ended up seeing a couple of different psychiatrist within the first year of being clean. The counseling was okay, but instantly they brewed up a cocktail of meds, changing them as time went on.

It helped a bit at first, but each change was not much different. I finally quit going, and quit the meds. Another 10 days of hell getting off that stuff. Did not realize the effect they had on my mind, equilibrium, motor skills, etc, until I had been off them for about three days.

The meds had me pretty dulled , and I did not even realize it.
Thats incredible man, congrats on 11 years. Monumental. Do you feel it gets easier with time? When I was able to do it on my own in the past, it seemed unbearable for a bit then gradually eased up until I no longer thought about it. The cravings are insidious, almost like possesion. Luckily Im not feeling much of them now, and actually slept about 4 hours last night!

Im glad I finally gave in and went. I know the work is just beginning but I thought a couple weeks ago that my goose was cooked and it was hopeless.
motogrady
11/2/2017 7:12pm
Congrats guy, good to hear. It's a big thing, an admirable thing.

Helped me to kinda distance, or drift away from the party crowd.
Honestly, some of the stuff when I think back on it, still cracks a smile with me.
'specially when life gets to be a drag,

But it is not worth the consequences that come with it, and you know it.

Moving on, finding other things, other people to fill your life with, huge thing.
But really, what other choice is there?
11/2/2017 7:58pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2017 8:07pm
doofy wrote:
Thats incredible man, congrats on 11 years. Monumental. Do you feel it gets easier with time? When I was able to do it on my own...
Thats incredible man, congrats on 11 years. Monumental. Do you feel it gets easier with time? When I was able to do it on my own in the past, it seemed unbearable for a bit then gradually eased up until I no longer thought about it. The cravings are insidious, almost like possesion. Luckily Im not feeling much of them now, and actually slept about 4 hours last night!

Im glad I finally gave in and went. I know the work is just beginning but I thought a couple weeks ago that my goose was cooked and it was hopeless.
Every now and then, a passing thought of those days runs through my mind. It's part of who I am. I had to get away from a lot of people ,places, and things.

Did some messed up things the first year or so I was clean. Like going back to a job where most were still using, and the owner was dealing out of the place. Tried to distance myself and just do my job, but it was not where I needed to be.

Or taking 100 Vicodin as payment for some work I did, as the person told me they had no money, but had a script. I just wanted my money for the work I did. This was with about 16 months clean time.

Is that messed up or what ?

In 2010, went to a job interview. It was the first above board job I had sought in years. The general manager wants me to meet the department manager. The guy walks in, holds his hand out, and all I could smell was the reek of weed on him.

I thought, WTF, I am trying to get away from this crap .

Drug use is rampant in society. Can never fully escape or eliminate it from our surroundings.

Just do the next right thing. Most of us know between right and wrong.

It is a bit easier as time has passed. But always have to be aware that I am only one hit, one pill, one bump, away from relapse. You won't relapse if you don't pick up that first one.

Best of luck to you.
11/3/2017 9:16am
Doofy best of luck. It’s not a matter of luck at all. You can do it. Press on sir.
doofy
11/3/2017 5:00pm
doofy wrote:
Thats incredible man, congrats on 11 years. Monumental. Do you feel it gets easier with time? When I was able to do it on my own...

Every now and then, a passing thought of those days runs through my mind. It's part of who I am. I had to get away from...
Every now and then, a passing thought of those days runs through my mind. It's part of who I am. I had to get away from a lot of people ,places, and things.

Did some messed up things the first year or so I was clean. Like going back to a job where most were still using, and the owner was dealing out of the place. Tried to distance myself and just do my job, but it was not where I needed to be.

Or taking 100 Vicodin as payment for some work I did, as the person told me they had no money, but had a script. I just wanted my money for the work I did. This was with about 16 months clean time.

Is that messed up or what ?

In 2010, went to a job interview. It was the first above board job I had sought in years. The general manager wants me to meet the department manager. The guy walks in, holds his hand out, and all I could smell was the reek of weed on him.

I thought, WTF, I am trying to get away from this crap .

Drug use is rampant in society. Can never fully escape or eliminate it from our surroundings.

Just do the next right thing. Most of us know between right and wrong.

It is a bit easier as time has passed. But always have to be aware that I am only one hit, one pill, one bump, away from relapse. You won't relapse if you don't pick up that first one.

Best of luck to you.
I know what ya mean man. Obviously they kept my phones while i was in and as soon as I turned them on you'd have thought I was a celeb with the texts from the dealer wondering where I was and all the great things they had. Yet when I needed them on a daily basis they treated me like an annoyance.

Oh well. Im so done being someone elses fool. Being talked to and treated like a dumbass by some section 8 unemployed slob and working my ass off to fund their habit.

As previously mentioned, I totalled my truck a few weeks ago. Today I hung out with my old man all day and went and bought a little $800 beater ranger to get around in for a bit, and spent the day cleaning it up with my dad also. I think its the happiest he's been in years.

Before I kinda thought of life as a chore, and looked at everything as an obligation. It feels great to lead a fairly normal life now where every thought isnt consumed by one thing
11/3/2017 6:07pm Edited Date/Time 11/3/2017 6:13pm
Doofy, just think of the money you will save by not chasing that next high. I cringe when I think of that aspect of the past.

It got to the point I could not afford to stay high. That led to some pretty desperate activities.

My last arrest cost me $4K to keep my ass out of jail. I was broke, ready to go with a public defender, and take my chances.

I had one family member who still had faith in me. They got their attorney to represent me, and I walked on a possession charge, criminal trespass, theft.

If I had done it my way, I'd probably still be wearing a state number.

Once I got clean, I went kind of manic on a lot of tasks / chores / loose ends that I had neglected for years. I was kind of freaking a few people out, as I just tackled as much as I could, every day, from day light to dark. For about six or seven months, I never let up.

Shaped this little back yard track in the picture below with a shovel and a wheel barrow. 20 yards of clay, just to stay busy for a day or so.

Staying busy kept me occupied, gave me a sense of self worth, and my mind away from the old ways.

That tapered a bit, and I found a balance , new job, was able to repay the attorney fee's, new truck.

Heck, even have a fair bit of change in my pocket these days. Being a productive member of society was never a priority for me. But I try to do right these days. If nothing else ,it gives me peace of mind.

I can guarantee your Dad is proud of you. We just don't realize how much worry we put our loved ones through when caught up in addiction.

Enjoy yourself with the ones who love you.

Best of luck.

11/4/2017 9:19pm
It's really quite simple. YOU HAVE TO FUCKING WANT IT. If you don't, the excuses will flow like water down the Nile.
doofy
7/31/2018 9:21pm
Hey guys. I know nobody was holding their breath refreshing the page to see if Ive posted back on this thread but ive kinda been through a lot and thought id give everyone an honest update.

So I got out of detox in early november. If you read the thread you'll know that I had an amazing job that I loved and was able to jump back into the swing of things. I was working out everyday and felt great. Got back on trt and felt the best I ever had in my adult life. I even bought a new f150! I was so happy and proud of myself. I reconnected with an old girlfriend and things were going great.

For a bit. I blocked my dealers number from my personal phone and deleted all contacts. But something happened one day. He called my work phone. I hadnt used in months but even seeing his number on the screen made my heart race with excitement. I shouldnt have answered. Temptation got the best of me. Wouldnt you know the guy who talked to and treated me like a scum junkie was now nicer than ever. Said he had something for me to try out free of charge.

I relapsed. It started everything all over again. Except this time I wasnt so lucky. I lost that job. The screwed up thing is i was already in so deep that at the time pissing away a career I had worked my entire adult life for meant nothing to me. Losing the job meant I couldnt pay for the truck anymore so it was repossessed. I had $9k in my 401k when I left and cashed it out. It was gone in a month with Nothing to show for it.

I got a wake up call in the form of being arrested. It probably saved my life. Owi/Possession charge. The time I spent in county jail I did some serious reflecting of how far I've sank. I spent a couple days in the drunk tank which was freezing cold... While in horrible withdrawal. It was traumatizing as he'll. I told myself when I got it id never touch the shit again.

That's been months ago. And ive stuck to sobriety. The girl I told you I reconnected with somehow stuck it out and we are engaged. She held me and kept me calm so many times when I was ready to crack. Drove me to NA meeting and sat in the car waiting for me for the months I had no license. I was very embarrased of my situation but she always encouraged me and said she was proud at the changes I made. Also helped me find work and im back with an excavating company as of Monday!

I'm pretty Damn thankful and excited for the future rather than counting the minutes of monotony as I have before while sober. I of course wish I could have pumped the brakes sooner and kept it together but I think this is what had to happen. This is what it took to set me straight.

Deja New
8/1/2018 3:50am
Well after reading all that I can only say I hope you keep it together and wish you all the best for your future. I know addiction is a bitch to struggle with.......
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
8/1/2018 11:31am
wishing you all the best, good luck,
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
8/1/2018 4:50pm
Best wishes doofy. Hope theres no more relapses in your future.
8/1/2018 5:14pm
We all fall from time to time. Just have to get back up. Doofy, I had over 11 years clean, and relapsed this past March. Found a spliff laying on the ground in a store parking lot. Ended up firing it off. Have been faltering every day since. Not a good feeling, at 54 years old. I just keep saying "it's just a little weed". I know where that first one can lead to. Maintaining, but threw away over 11 years of hard work, to get high. I know the feelings you describe, as when I found that little piece, the excitement level soared, even after all that time clean. Oh well, I am used to dumb mistakes in my life. It's about all I have ever known.
doofy
8/1/2018 8:37pm
We all fall from time to time. Just have to get back up. Doofy, I had over 11 years clean, and relapsed this past March. Found...
We all fall from time to time. Just have to get back up. Doofy, I had over 11 years clean, and relapsed this past March. Found a spliff laying on the ground in a store parking lot. Ended up firing it off. Have been faltering every day since. Not a good feeling, at 54 years old. I just keep saying "it's just a little weed". I know where that first one can lead to. Maintaining, but threw away over 11 years of hard work, to get high. I know the feelings you describe, as when I found that little piece, the excitement level soared, even after all that time clean. Oh well, I am used to dumb mistakes in my life. It's about all I have ever known.
I'm sorry to hear man. I dont mean to downplay it but I don't know anyone who's wrecked their life over weed. But I understand your thinking. That it starts with "oh its harmless" then before you know it you're back in the gutter.

Thanks everyone for the support. Sometimes I feel like a broken record and this is cyclical. I really do appreciate having a place to spill my guts
8/2/2018 12:21am
yes drug rehab works if your ready to change. I can write a novel. Long story short. 4 years clean and sober. I had gotten lower then low. everything in the book you name it.

I got my life back and my passion for bikes.

msg me if you need someone to help you.
doofus
2/21/2021 1:35am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2021 1:46am
What’s happening y’all, it’s doofy here. Tried to get my old account back but couldn’t remember the password. Anyway I was just checking in for a few reasons. Number one to let y’all know I made it and I’m still kickin, number 2 to spread some positivity, number 3 to let anyone out there that’s strugglin to know that if I made it, you can too and never give up on it, and number 4 cause I got a new 2020 kx250 and I’m back in the game! I tried writing one big long post earlier and the pics wouldn’t appear so I’m going to try it different and chronicle my story in seperate posts here.
doofus
2/21/2021 1:45am
The most critical thing in my recovery has been that I met this amazing woman. When we met she had a solid career, owned her home, college educated. Never been in trouble or even involved with any kind of drugs. I just got out of jail, no job, no licence, no car and was 30 living with my parents. She helped me change all of that. She had faith in me when I didnt in myself. I was still using when we met and she was patient but held me accountable thru the many attempts I made but one day I got it right! Here we are a year ago on my 31st birthday

MJC
2/21/2021 1:47am
I remember this thread but to be honest mate, hadn’t given you another thought sorry. 🤷‍♂️
But bloody stoked you turned your shit around!
No excuses, just head down and work through it. Fark me, a lot of people could do that
doofus
2/21/2021 1:48am
Shes so badass she let me finance a bike in her name cause my credit was wrecked lmao, heres me and my 2020 kx250 the day I got it

doofus
2/21/2021 1:51am
We just had a baby together! Here she is, Layla. Born 1/3/21

doofus
2/21/2021 1:53am
Here’s me and Mel at my first race back. Was just going out to finish, On a stock 250f, hadnt raced in years and not in shape. I actually did decent and have been riding and racing better than I ever have. Mel is several months pregnant here lol

Post a reply to: does drug rehab work?

The Latest