coronavirus and the economy/ business

PastranaWho
Edited Date/Time 11/16/2020 2:11pm
I own a appliance repair company out here in NYC , mostly do repairs for property management companies. 2 techs , my son and myself. Just finished talking to a landlord who owns 10 buildings out here and he said collecting rent is going to be a issue and here comes the domino effect. Depending how long this last hopefully wont have to let go of my 2 technicians. what you guys got going?
|
newmann
3/23/2020 10:15am
Collision repair here. No people out driving, no people out crashing. Had a really good first quarter about to wrap up here. Fortunately I haven't been pissing away money and our little company is pretty good. I also have 27 townhouse rentals here locally, going to be an interesting few months coming up there. They are pretty much all paid for as well so I know I'll still be able to stay on top of my end of it all.
borg
3/23/2020 10:50am
Self employed construction and semi retired. Was very busy all the way through early March. I'm used to dry spells so over the years I have learned how to save. My main customer is in the medical manufacturing business so I could be back at any time. They are not shut down. I have a few other smaller jobs that have been put on hold. Fine with me. I have a new guitar I'm working on.
whyZ
3/23/2020 11:02am
Materials converter; Foam, Plastic, Rubber. Like Newman, pulled down some stunning number at the beginning of this quarter, tapered off some, but not too bad. Fortunately here in Az. we're not having the scare quite like Cali-Wa. & NY. We just got tapped by a national C-store chain ( long time customer ) to design, develop and start manufacturing a clear plastic barrier between the cashier and customer for their stores. Being fast tracked, and want product to start shipping with-in days.
OldPro277
3/23/2020 11:03am
Auto dealer GenMgr here. Our Governor has has shut down ALL "non-life sustaining" businesses as of 8am this morning. Also ,Allegheny County has issued a "stay at home " order for its residents. We are in the neighboring Westmoreland County ( where we have 4 confirmed cases).

We were in the midst of a record breaking March, even delivered 3 on our last day open. We are fortunate that we own all 85 pieces of inventory so there is no terrible floor plan interest accruing while the sales inevitably go into the shitter. And we sort of escrow our income to the following month, so we all will have income coming in for the next 4-5 weeks but after that it will be Pa UC or tapping our savings, UNLESS the Democrats will allow the Small Business Stimulus package to pass (They were 13 votes short yesterday)

By the way guys-- sorry about the political reference

The Shop

kongols
3/23/2020 11:38am
Logistics manager. I work only with import from Italy, Spain and Portugal to Baltic States. Partial loads only. We`re still working. I have couple customers who have difficulty to pay for service we provided a month ago. We`ll see how it goes. Large part of customers are from Russia. Their money lost 20% of value.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
3/23/2020 12:12pm
Solar sales. No one wants me knocking on their door, so I'm looking at ways to market and sell over the phone, through Zoom, etc. Ironically this lull in business now will likely mean a upturn towards the end of the year, unless new home sales tank, and then things will likely go completely tits up.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/23/2020 1:14pm
Small Remodeling contractor with myself, wife and a occasional helper or 2. We are hooked into 2021 with some pretty big jobs and all of them are anxious for us to get started. The only thing that would hurt my work is if we cannot get materials.

One positive I want to pass along. One of my best clients who has had me remodel a good 60% of their huge home is high up at the naval hospital in San Diego. He wants to meet with me and my wife as soon as we have the time to go over plans for another good size remodel at his house. He is well off but not filthy rich. What makes me feel good about this is he was willing to meet us n person and he’s also believing that going ahead with his remodeling plans tells me he does not foresee this epidemic lasting for a long time. If so he obviously would be holding onto his money
3/23/2020 1:54pm
We were hoping to move in a year or three. I feel like real estate might take a dive if people are out of work. On the plus side we might be able to pick up another condo in Missouri to rent out. Definitely no shortage of hours in the emergency medicine game for now though.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
3/23/2020 2:26pm
Editor on the Network TV side of things. Shit is about to get real around here real quick. Just about everyone in my business is out of work, and there is literally no ways of creating new content. Some Post Production staff (Editors/Sound Designers/Mixers/Post houses) have figure out how to work remotely, but that's maybe a week or two for most until everything is finished.

Luckily, my immediate family is able to support each other if need be. The lady and I will be fine, and we are helping my kids out. Luckily our house is paid off, but man, a new neighbor one street over just paid low 7 figures and is now unemployed. People out here are driving around in 100,000+ dollar vehicles and buying wildly over-priced real estate, when they are just like most people, 1-2 months away from financial ruin.

This is going to suck HARD for a lot of people, and it sucks.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/23/2020 2:43pm
avidchimp wrote:
Editor on the Network TV side of things. Shit is about to get real around here real quick. Just about everyone in my business is out...
Editor on the Network TV side of things. Shit is about to get real around here real quick. Just about everyone in my business is out of work, and there is literally no ways of creating new content. Some Post Production staff (Editors/Sound Designers/Mixers/Post houses) have figure out how to work remotely, but that's maybe a week or two for most until everything is finished.

Luckily, my immediate family is able to support each other if need be. The lady and I will be fine, and we are helping my kids out. Luckily our house is paid off, but man, a new neighbor one street over just paid low 7 figures and is now unemployed. People out here are driving around in 100,000+ dollar vehicles and buying wildly over-priced real estate, when they are just like most people, 1-2 months away from financial ruin.

Thumbs down for that horrible news Avid. There are soooo many people in the same boat as your neighbors. If I was younger I’d be in that same situation. Luckily with age comes some knowledge to not make yourself payment poor and it sounds like you are gonna be okay for the foreseeable future. Good luck 👍
3/23/2020 3:11pm
Oil and gas - I can’t control the price of oil so I’m only going to worry about doing my job the best I can and if I get laid off I can make it for at least a year maybe more. I’ve been broke before but I sure as hell have never been poor. And no matter what I have the best wife and two sons a man could ask for.

These times remind me of a guy that used to work for me that always said: today is a blessing, yesterday is in the past and tomorrow isn’t promised.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
3/23/2020 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2020 3:25pm
KennyT wrote:
Thumbs down for that horrible news Avid. There are soooo many people in the same boat as your neighbors. If I was younger I’d be in...
Thumbs down for that horrible news Avid. There are soooo many people in the same boat as your neighbors. If I was younger I’d be in that same situation. Luckily with age comes some knowledge to not make yourself payment poor and it sounds like you are gonna be okay for the foreseeable future. Good luck 👍
Honestly, I went through the instant gratification phase and spent everything I made before the check cleared the bank. Well, what was left over after raising kids and bills. lol

But, I thank my Lady for changing my ways. I mean, we don't have a ton of cash on hand because it was all going to the mortgage to paid off, but we are asset positive. Even though we could buy a nice boat, nice car, motorcycles, trips, etc, we we were both raised in the business and know how lean times can get.

Shit, my Lady still drives the car we bought her 18 years ago and I finally just bought my first new truck in almost 14 years. That payment is going to sting a little now. hahaha
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/23/2020 3:41pm
My company makes industrial gas turbines.
The good news: We are critical to infrastructure so we still have manufacturing going, pipelines and offshore rigs need power always, hospitals need back up power always.
The bad: Oil prices are in a ditch and frickin corona...

The future is quite uncertain but I think I feel a lot more comfortable about my job than the average person :/
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
3/23/2020 4:34pm
I own a timber joinery business, making solid timber doors and windows, here is New Zealand

we are going to a government enforced 4 week lock down from tomorrow night, we have already shut up, i have 8 full time plus 2 part time staff, the government down here is giving us a 12 week subsidy to not make staff redundant, to a max of about $14 per hour of most staff which will help a-lot. (most my guys are on $28 plus, we are not considered essential so have to shut, ill pay my guys 80% of a standard week for the first 4 weeks and access it from there,

not expecting to get paid much by customers in between, and had just paid most my bills for the month, will be tough to keep, ill keep up with any quoting that comes through, so hopefully we can hit the ground running, the first month back will be tough on cash flow, i know a lot of my mates are in worse positions than me tho,
3/23/2020 7:13pm
Wierd times. wife is an OR nurse. Her case load is way down as electives have all been cancelled. So there’s no work.

Our rural hospitals are slow right now. People are staying away. Staffing to grid theyre cutting hours like I’ve never seen before. Bizarre. Would think they would boost hours. Currently looking at taking two contracts in nyc or Ann Arbor Michigan for 8-13 weeks to generate income. We can chill for about 6 months if I don’t but that will crush the cushion and my 401k is nauseating me daily. After 6 months...Then won’t be able to pay bills. But I hope this ends quicker than that.

I’m thinking economy gonna roar back when the media number generating machine starts showing a serious decline in new cases/deaths.
APLMAN99
3/23/2020 7:55pm
Wierd times. wife is an OR nurse. Her case load is way down as electives have all been cancelled. So there’s no work. Our rural hospitals...
Wierd times. wife is an OR nurse. Her case load is way down as electives have all been cancelled. So there’s no work.

Our rural hospitals are slow right now. People are staying away. Staffing to grid theyre cutting hours like I’ve never seen before. Bizarre. Would think they would boost hours. Currently looking at taking two contracts in nyc or Ann Arbor Michigan for 8-13 weeks to generate income. We can chill for about 6 months if I don’t but that will crush the cushion and my 401k is nauseating me daily. After 6 months...Then won’t be able to pay bills. But I hope this ends quicker than that.

I’m thinking economy gonna roar back when the media number generating machine starts showing a serious decline in new cases/deaths.
The media isn’t generating the numbers.

They are reporting them.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
3/23/2020 8:04pm
scott_nz wrote:
I own a timber joinery business, making solid timber doors and windows, here is New Zealand we are going to a government enforced 4 week lock...
I own a timber joinery business, making solid timber doors and windows, here is New Zealand

we are going to a government enforced 4 week lock down from tomorrow night, we have already shut up, i have 8 full time plus 2 part time staff, the government down here is giving us a 12 week subsidy to not make staff redundant, to a max of about $14 per hour of most staff which will help a-lot. (most my guys are on $28 plus, we are not considered essential so have to shut, ill pay my guys 80% of a standard week for the first 4 weeks and access it from there,

not expecting to get paid much by customers in between, and had just paid most my bills for the month, will be tough to keep, ill keep up with any quoting that comes through, so hopefully we can hit the ground running, the first month back will be tough on cash flow, i know a lot of my mates are in worse positions than me tho,
Good on you, Man. Thank you for being a compassionate employer.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
3/23/2020 8:59pm
avidchimp wrote:
Good on you, Man. Thank you for being a compassionate employer.
Cheers man, I have one more job to finish before we have to lock up at midnight tommorrow (wed here)

everyone has been cool,
3/23/2020 9:45pm
avidchimp wrote:
Editor on the Network TV side of things. Shit is about to get real around here real quick. Just about everyone in my business is out...

Reminds me of something Dave Ramsey once said on his show. Basically, drive down any neighborhood, and the majority of people are living paycheck to paycheck with no savings.

I see it all the time with friends, family and colleagues. They have tremendous salaries but have to pay an expensive mortgage, fancy cars, etc.

I used to hate the fact that my dad could be so frugal at times and now I can’t thank him enough for instilling those values in me.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
3/23/2020 10:13pm
Reminds me of something Dave Ramsey once said on his show. Basically, drive down any neighborhood, and the majority of people are living paycheck to paycheck...
Reminds me of something Dave Ramsey once said on his show. Basically, drive down any neighborhood, and the majority of people are living paycheck to paycheck with no savings.

I see it all the time with friends, family and colleagues. They have tremendous salaries but have to pay an expensive mortgage, fancy cars, etc.

I used to hate the fact that my dad could be so frugal at times and now I can’t thank him enough for instilling those values in me.
For the most part we weren't "broke" growing up, but there were some really lean times there for sure. Even got to watch my Mom's car get repo'd a week before Christmas (with our presents in the trunk) one year from my bedroom window with my sister. Thankfully my Dad's career started taking off when I was around ten and things have been really good since. But I was never given anything, it had to be earned.

You learn a lot from seeing those things.

My Ladies family is much the same way. They knew the stories their parent's told of the depression. They can pretty much afford anything they could ever want, but they still live in the house her Dad was basically born and raised in, about a half mile from where we live. Shit, he drove the same Chevy S-10 till it literally died in my driveway when he was leaving to go home one day. Went out and bought a little Toyota Carolla since I have my truck.

Be frugal people.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
3/24/2020 1:39am
I’m just a plain govt worker on law enforcement side. We’ve started getting to telework a couple of days a week.
3/24/2020 4:25am
Eye care medical devices and pharma. Since all elective non-essential medical procedures are postponed, cataract surgeries and similar procedures have stopped along with our sales. Contact lense sales are still good. Production sites are still open, but we anticipate they will start slowing down once global inventories reach a certain coverage. Salaries are still being paid to sites like the one i work on cause finance, customer service, SnOP, etc can all work from home. Once production stops things will get interesting. The way upper management sees things, is that this is temporary and that medical procedures will eventually come back. We have a solid balance sheet, so im not worried for my job for now.
duckdog77
3/24/2020 4:30am
newmann wrote:
Collision repair here. No people out driving, no people out crashing. Had a really good first quarter about to wrap up here. Fortunately I haven't been...
Collision repair here. No people out driving, no people out crashing. Had a really good first quarter about to wrap up here. Fortunately I haven't been pissing away money and our little company is pretty good. I also have 27 townhouse rentals here locally, going to be an interesting few months coming up there. They are pretty much all paid for as well so I know I'll still be able to stay on top of my end of it all.
Same here. Painter at a big MSO. We were deemed essential and remain open. Indiana goes into lock down at mid night tonight. I will still be able to work but I’m sure the flow of cars will slow. Luckily for my family my wife is the GM at another location that will remain open and is on salary so we will have her income coming in which is plenty to pay the bills. We’ve done well with living within our means and have a good amount of back up. I’ve told my paint team if they need anything to let us know. They are my family Away from home and I’m here to help them get through the rough time if business slows. I haven’t heard any talk of our company helping us out if things go too far south. So it could def get rough for some of the employees.

There’s also the downside of the company remaining open and being customer facing that we have the potential to get sick our selves. With a 4 month old at home we’d both really like to stay healthy.

Stay safe everyone we will get through it and be stronger on the other side!
Boxvan446
3/24/2020 6:09am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2020 6:10am
I own a landscape supply business with a couple of locations. About 10-14 employees and just starting to gear up for the season. WI is suppose to announce today what their "stay at home" order looks like. I don't think we will make the cut for essential business. Even though we run trucks with gravel/sand to construction sites all over Southeast WI. We also supply local DPW with materials and supplies. It'll be an interesting next few days/weeks to say the least. I think we will be ok from a business standpoint. I've got some space on my line of credit at the moment to operate and take care of employees. Personally the family and I are fine.
3/24/2020 8:38am
APLMAN99 wrote:

They are reporting them.
Weird that they always have the biggest numbers to report on Monday. I have heard that they they collect the data through the weekend, but don't report it until Monday.

APLMAN99
3/24/2020 8:52am
APLMAN99 wrote:

They are reporting them.
Weird that they always have the biggest numbers to report on Monday. I have heard that they they collect the data through the weekend, but don't...
Weird that they always have the biggest numbers to report on Monday. I have heard that they they collect the data through the weekend, but don't report it until Monday.

The numbers are growing, so there isn’t anything weird about a day being bigger than the day before......

Is that really a difficult concept to grasp?

And just for clarity, they didn’t report that on Monday, they appear to be reporting that early Tuesday......
3/24/2020 8:55am
I work in commercial healthcare practice group insurance. Just got an email from headquarters informing us that are jobs are secure and to continue working from home. It’s reassuring in these hard times. Thoughts and prayers to our fellow Americans.
JPT
3/24/2020 9:32am
Thing is it's not an either/or situation. Restrict activities like now and it hurts the economy. Don't act, let this thing blow up unrestricted, the medical system collapses, half the first responders are out, not to mention truck drivers, farmers and the work force in general. The economy gets hammered over a period of months.

I feel for the people who are out of work, businesses that are struggling. I'm retired but those investments I worked so hard to save are taking a serious hit. This is scary. But there is no easy answer. I think trying to curb it now is the only reasonable answer.
3/24/2020 9:57am
APLMAN99 wrote:
The numbers are growing, so there isn’t anything weird about a day being bigger than the day before...... Is that really a difficult concept to grasp...
The numbers are growing, so there isn’t anything weird about a day being bigger than the day before......

Is that really a difficult concept to grasp?

And just for clarity, they didn’t report that on Monday, they appear to be reporting that early Tuesday......
Originally reported on Monday and updated on Tuesday. I saw the article yesterday. It's just something I'm watching. We will see.

Post a reply to: coronavirus and the economy/ business

The Latest