bands you can't believe weren't or aren't bigger

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2012 6:16 AM

Any bands out there that you absolutely love and just can't believe they aren't better known? I discovered the band Failure after I found out a Perfect Circle covered one of their tunes, The Nurse Who Loved Me. The album Fantastic Planet blew me away, it should have been the Dark Side of the Moon of the 90s but I think they were only slightly popular when they were together. This album defines everything the 90s/grunge was about IMO. I HIGHLY recommend buying or downloading the album and listening to it all the way through.





|

2/9/2012 6:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2012 6:48 AM

Back in the 80s/early 90s....Zebra. They were the biggest band in the New Orleans area back then. They got signed and had some modest MTV success, and I think they did okay in the NY/NJ area when they moved up there. But with so many crappy 80s bands having much more success than they deserved, Zebra didn't get nearly enough credit. Their first album remains one of my top 10 albums of all time. They put out some great music, and Randy Jackson was an extraordiary guitar player. I think he did really well as a studio musician afterwards. They still perform occasionally down here, and Randy Jackson does some solo acoustic shows that are amazing.
&feature=related">

&feature=related
|

2/9/2012 9:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2012 9:52 AM

FAILURE was a really awesome band and I managed to see them twice at the Casbah here in San Diego...HUM was also a rocking band and just started to make it when they had a serious road accident while touring and didn't want to continue as a band....saw them at the Casbah and they were so loud and powerful they blew they power out and had to play nearly the entire show in the dark using backup generator power....so rad!

|



2/9/2012 12:27 PM

yzthumpa wrote:

Back in the 80s/early 90s....Zebra. They were the biggest band in the New Orleans area back then. They got signed and had some modest MTV success, and I think they did okay in the NY/NJ area when they moved up there. But with so many crappy 80s bands having much more success than they deserved, Zebra didn't get nearly enough credit. Their first album remains one of my top 10 albums of all time. They put out some great music, and Randy Jackson was an extraordiary guitar player. I think he did really well as a studio musician afterwards. They still perform occasionally down here, and Randy Jackson does some solo acoustic shows that are amazing.
&feature=related">

&feature=related

That’s awesome thought I was there only fan.

|

2/9/2012 1:33 PM

Local H for me.









|

2/9/2012 1:38 PM

I'm really old, so I'll bring up an old band.

King's X. There album "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska" was one of my favorite-ever albums when it came out (88?,89?). I still listen to it all the time. Check it out:

&ob=av2e



|

2/9/2012 2:19 PM

Way underrated...



|

2/9/2012 2:20 PM

Storyville

|

"The public sucks. Fuck hope." ~ George Carlin

2/9/2012 2:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2012 5:38 PM

Cig--Ditto on the Clutch, one of my favs. Great band to just sit and chill to, or fire up a fat one.

Every band I listen to I always think "Why the HELL are they not as big as the Beatles? I think they are GREAT."

Down, My FAVORITE metal band, I dont know how they dont sell out arenas, but they did open for metallica. They dont even have a record label anymore, all self produced and promoted and recorded in Phil's barn.






|

2/9/2012 3:53 PM

McGuffey Lane.
Flatbush.

|

May 2012 be the best year of year of your life.

2/9/2012 4:04 PM

The Judy's. Anyone from the Houston /Austin area in the early 80's probably saw them around the club scene. Goofy ass college kids. Guyana Punch was a classic. I see the whole damn Washarama album is out there on Youtube.


|

2/9/2012 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2012 4:10 PM

&feature=related
|

May 2012 be the best year of year of your life.

2/9/2012 4:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2012 4:32 PM

look out below wrote:

Cig--Ditto on the Clutch, one of my favs. Great band to just sit and chill to, or fire up a fat one.

Every band I listen to I always think "Why the HELL are they not as big as the Beatles? I think they are GREAT."

Down, My FAVORITE metal band, I dont know how they dont sell out arenas, but they did open for metallica. They dont even have a record label anymore, all self produced and promoted and recorded in Phil's barn.






I've seen them open for Metallica, but I also got to see them in a small club down here a couple years ago. One of my best friends was in Razor White with Phil and was in Victorian Blitz with Kirk back in the day. Kirk's other band, Crowbar, just played a club down here last weekend, and I freaking missed it cause we were out of town for my kid's Taekwondo tournament. You just can't beat seeing bands like that in a small club. Phil is a beast. I wish he hadn't gone through all the drug problems so he would have fully realized his potential. Although sometimes it's the messed up shit that makes them what they are, so you never know. I've been on a Pantera rampage lately. Just ran my kid to the store and cranked it up and he says, "We still have to listen to this?" lol

|

2/9/2012 4:36 PM

Newmann, I remember that song like yesterday. Wasnt that about 1981?

|

"The public sucks. Fuck hope." ~ George Carlin

2/9/2012 4:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2012 4:52 PM

yzthumpa wrote:

I've seen them open for Metallica, but I also got to see them in a small club down here a couple years ago. One of my best friends was in Razor White with Phil and was in Victorian Blitz with Kirk back in the day. Kirk's other band, Crowbar, just played a club down here last weekend, and I freaking missed it cause we were out of town for my kid's Taekwondo tournament. You just can't beat seeing bands like that in a small club. Phil is a beast. I wish he hadn't gone through all the drug problems so he would have fully realized his potential. Although sometimes it's the messed up shit that makes them what they are, so you never know. I've been on a Pantera rampage lately. Just ran my kid to the store and cranked it up and he says, "We still have to listen to this?" lol

I have seen Down ten times (i think). I follow them like a dead head hippy. ha. I also am a huge fan of Louisiana Metal. I picked it up when I lived in Lake Charles. Crowbar, EHG, Choke, Acid Bath, Dead Man Circus, Soilent Green, Exhorder, so much good metal comes from a place that really does not embrace it, only country and Zydeco. I saw Crowbar a few months ago opening for St Vitus, yeah it was cool.

|

2/9/2012 4:51 PM

The Cult

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

2/9/2012 5:07 PM

look out below wrote:

Cig--Ditto on the Clutch, one of my favs. Great band to just sit and chill to, or fire up a fat one.

Every band I listen to I always think "Why the HELL are they not as big as the Beatles? I think they are GREAT."

Down, My FAVORITE metal band, I dont know how they dont sell out arenas, but they did open for metallica. They dont even have a record label anymore, all self produced and promoted and recorded in Phil's barn.






yzthumpa wrote:

I've seen them open for Metallica, but I also got to see them in a small club down here a couple years ago. One of my best friends was in Razor White with Phil and was in Victorian Blitz with Kirk back in the day. Kirk's other band, Crowbar, just played a club down here last weekend, and I freaking missed it cause we were out of town for my kid's Taekwondo tournament. You just can't beat seeing bands like that in a small club. Phil is a beast. I wish he hadn't gone through all the drug problems so he would have fully realized his potential. Although sometimes it's the messed up shit that makes them what they are, so you never know. I've been on a Pantera rampage lately. Just ran my kid to the store and cranked it up and he says, "We still have to listen to this?" lol

look out below wrote:

I have seen Down ten times (i think). I follow them like a dead head hippy. ha. I also am a huge fan of Louisiana Metal. I picked it up when I lived in Lake Charles. Crowbar, EHG, Choke, Acid Bath, Dead Man Circus, Soilent Green, Exhorder, so much good metal comes from a place that really does not embrace it, only country and Zydeco. I saw Crowbar a few months ago opening for St Vitus, yeah it was cool.

In the New Orleans area there was a decent club scene for metal in the mid 80s, mostly around Fat City in Metairie, but it seemed like all the clubs died out around the same time. Around the early 90s it was just dead. My friend was mainly with Dark August by then, and there were a few clubs around that supported metal, but not much.

|

2/9/2012 6:15 PM

|

May 2012 be the best year of year of your life.

2/9/2012 6:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2012 6:40 PM

There were a few bands that came to mind but after listening to them for the first time in along time it turns out it is really no surprise they weren't or aren't bigger. Here is a band I saw open for Megadeth that I really really dug though.

|

2/9/2012 6:51 PM

Racer92 wrote:

Newmann, I remember that song like yesterday. Wasnt that about 1981?

81-82. I saw them a couple of times here in Beaumont. Fun times. The Judy's and Joe King Carrasco. Joe King did a gig in Dallas recently.

|

2/9/2012 7:14 PM



I thank Clyde at my local record shop for these guys ,when i was 15
|

2/9/2012 7:50 PM

For me it would be Bullet Lavolta. One of the better bands in the late 80's early 90's Boston scene.

|

2/9/2012 7:55 PM

Skeletonwitch frickin rules. Some of the most amazing guitar work I have seen in a live show.



Darkest Hour. Had a run where they were getting huge, then kinda dropped away a bit.
|

Commander in Chief of team A.B.V.

2/9/2012 8:23 PM

Might sound a bit corny, but Tommy Tutone was a pretty decent band outside of their "one-hit wonder" status.

|

2/9/2012 9:53 PM

violet psychotic sawmill band

|

2/10/2012 4:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2012 4:59 AM

Cigaro wrote:

Way underrated...



I just got into Clutch a few months back, after a recommendation from a friend. They're aweseome. I especially like 'The Devil & Me'.

I was chatting to someone in a pub on saturday who saw them support Thin Lizzy the previous night night and he was also very impressed.

The Black Keys have suddenly broken through into the mainstream over here (after sitting on the periphery for about 5 years) and I reckon the popularity of other 'riff heavy' bands like Clutch could start to rise soon.

|

Jeff Emigs Keys to the Race:
1. Get a good start
2. Don't crash

2/10/2012 5:37 AM

Nantucket. When I was stationed in North Carolina, late '70's they were very popular in that region.....

Kind of a Southern folk rock pop thingey...

|

2/10/2012 5:39 AM

I think Clutch is a fairly decent sized band, big enough I'm sure they make a comfortable living playing music, but they aren't so big that they can't go to the store down the street without everyone recognizing them. I'm glad they aren't too big, because I've been able to get up close at all the shows I've been to

|

2/10/2012 5:58 AM

vet323 wrote:

I'm really old, so I'll bring up an old band.

King's X. There album "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska" was one of my favorite-ever albums when it came out (88?,89?). I still listen to it all the time. Check it out:

&ob=av2e



Tell it vet! Criminally under appreciated and still thrown' down.

|

2/10/2012 6:33 AM

vet323 wrote:

I'm really old, so I'll bring up an old band.

King's X. There album "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska" was one of my favorite-ever albums when it came out (88?,89?). I still listen to it all the time. Check it out:

&ob=av2e



Very true, Kings X had a cool thing going in those days.

|

"The public sucks. Fuck hope." ~ George Carlin