bands with the best guitar tone

davis224
Fantasy
182nd
4/25/2015 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2015 9:51pm
Right now, I'd have to say Alabama Shakes is doing it for me. The perfect blend of clean and crunch, with that fat hollowbody tone!
https://youtu.be/OQEbAlFw5_0
|
wreckitrandy
4/25/2015 5:58pm
Sounds good. A good sonic spread. Very keen dynamics as well. I've always had trouble playing in bands with keys. My sound is kind of mid heavy and doesn't sit well with a B3. Ty Tabor's tone has always been my favorite dirty sound. Even when he was using solid state amps and still, now that he's been using the Fractal Audio thingy. Early ZZ Top guitar sounds just ripped. For a clean tone, Mark Knopfler always sounded good to my ear.
FolkLoar
4/25/2015 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2015 6:57am
Sounds good. A good sonic spread. Very keen dynamics as well. I've always had trouble playing in bands with keys. My sound is kind of mid...
Sounds good. A good sonic spread. Very keen dynamics as well. I've always had trouble playing in bands with keys. My sound is kind of mid heavy and doesn't sit well with a B3. Ty Tabor's tone has always been my favorite dirty sound. Even when he was using solid state amps and still, now that he's been using the Fractal Audio thingy. Early ZZ Top guitar sounds just ripped. For a clean tone, Mark Knopfler always sounded good to my ear.
Mark Knopfler... What a badass.

I've always had a soft spot for Rory Gallagher's tone when he was plugged in (If we are talking bluesy electric stuff). It is pretty well known that Brian May as well as a few other more popular guitarists jacked Rory's setup and tone back in the day. They only wish that they could make it sound like he did though.

http://youtu.be/ITB4VMG5dUs
APLMAN99
4/25/2015 10:05pm
Pink Floyd. David Gilmour's guitar tone was always such a signature of perfection to me growing up that it probably can't be topped in my mind.

The Shop

FolkLoar
4/26/2015 6:11am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2015 7:15am
Can't argue with any of those choices..

I know it's not exactly a guitar but there is a newer two piece band called Royal Blood with just a drummer and bass player.. The guy runs his bass through two different rigs and it's pretty wild what kind of GUITAR tone he gets from it while still having that low end rumble. Perfect for a two piece, really fills out the sound.

Definately worth a listen just to hear the sound he gets out of that bass. Also just a very good rock album start to finish.

It's my 4yr old's favorite album at the moment so I get to hear plenty of it.

http://youtu.be/VX4knlmVrb0
71Fish
4/26/2015 8:49am
[img]https://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/list/242d95085fde6948a36bdd6553ba7d3c12d738bc.jpg[/img] /End thread. However Sleep was a great choice!!

/End thread.

However Sleep was a great choice!!
Hard to vote against the Devil's cord.
4/26/2015 8:02pm
here is another tone that will make your teeth bleed. Also that snare.....

I like when guitar tones are so good you don't really have to do bad ass riffing, just let the guitar sound do all the work.

https://youtu.be/iIGKlicb8n0
Crash82
Fantasy
2187th
4/26/2015 8:16pm
Pantera, cowboys from hell.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
4/26/2015 8:58pm
FolkLoar wrote:
Can't argue with any of those choices.. I know it's not exactly a guitar but there is a newer two piece band called Royal Blood with...
Can't argue with any of those choices..

I know it's not exactly a guitar but there is a newer two piece band called Royal Blood with just a drummer and bass player.. The guy runs his bass through two different rigs and it's pretty wild what kind of GUITAR tone he gets from it while still having that low end rumble. Perfect for a two piece, really fills out the sound.

Definately worth a listen just to hear the sound he gets out of that bass. Also just a very good rock album start to finish.

It's my 4yr old's favorite album at the moment so I get to hear plenty of it.

http://youtu.be/VX4knlmVrb0
I'm into this for sure. "Figure it out" is killer!
TeamGreen
4/26/2015 11:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2015 11:33pm
Tom Morello's sound with Audioslave

Richie Blackmore...anything; but, about the time they recorded Can't Happen Here, it seems to me his "sound" was at it's best.

Satriani's sound with Chickenfoot has some Epic Crunch with typical Satriani Sustain-Perfection (Down the Drain, Big Foot)

Any Ronnie Montrose...from Montrose thru all the Gamma stuff. My favorite: Connection.

Brian F'n May...lots of Unappreciated talent there.
wreckitrandy
4/27/2015 5:50am
You ever notice how some guitar sounds on very famous recordings, seem rather thin? For example, some of Page's tones sound a bit shrill if you listen closely. When I used to cover those tunes, I could never get happy with my approximation. The same thing with George Harrison. To me, his sound was thin. It was like the sound made it harder to play. I could never put it into words. Still can't. On the other hand, a band like Kansas, with everything in the world going on in the mix, I always just loved the sound of Leftoverture. Boston, same thing. Bad Company. Exceptional sounding recordings on every level with guitar tones that were vocal but never got in the way of the vocals. It's hard to describe.

Not trying to side track the OP but, what defines 'good' tone to you? The OP mentioned a blend of clean and crunch. Also 'fat'. I've been guilty of too much crunch, distortion in years gone by. I find myself leaning more towards an overdriven but cleaner sound now.
Harry_Gray
4/27/2015 7:09am
If were talking Guitar tone; one would possibly suggest listening to Dopethrone by Electric Wizard. Gnarly sounding shit. Also...someone above mentioned Sleep. Smile Also liked Dino's Guitar tone on the first two Fear Factory albums. Apparently, he used a modded Marshall JCM 800 for those albums as well.
FolkLoar
4/27/2015 7:13am
You ever notice how some guitar sounds on very famous recordings, seem rather thin? For example, some of Page's tones sound a bit shrill if you...
You ever notice how some guitar sounds on very famous recordings, seem rather thin? For example, some of Page's tones sound a bit shrill if you listen closely. When I used to cover those tunes, I could never get happy with my approximation. The same thing with George Harrison. To me, his sound was thin. It was like the sound made it harder to play. I could never put it into words. Still can't. On the other hand, a band like Kansas, with everything in the world going on in the mix, I always just loved the sound of Leftoverture. Boston, same thing. Bad Company. Exceptional sounding recordings on every level with guitar tones that were vocal but never got in the way of the vocals. It's hard to describe.

Not trying to side track the OP but, what defines 'good' tone to you? The OP mentioned a blend of clean and crunch. Also 'fat'. I've been guilty of too much crunch, distortion in years gone by. I find myself leaning more towards an overdriven but cleaner sound now.
Damn Randy, you know your stuff! I see that you are in Granite Falls. I have a Hickory address but am in Caldwell County on the lake.. Kids go to Granite Falls.
Rocket88
4/27/2015 7:26am
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

If there is ever a "Tone Freak" it would have to be Eric!

4/27/2015 7:39am
Harry_Gray wrote:
If were talking Guitar tone; one would possibly suggest listening to Dopethrone by Electric Wizard. Gnarly sounding shit. Also...someone above mentioned Sleep. :) Also liked Dino's...
If were talking Guitar tone; one would possibly suggest listening to Dopethrone by Electric Wizard. Gnarly sounding shit. Also...someone above mentioned Sleep. Smile Also liked Dino's Guitar tone on the first two Fear Factory albums. Apparently, he used a modded Marshall JCM 800 for those albums as well.
I love electric wizard. They have a new album out. I saw it on vinyl but it was expensive as shit so I said I would come back to it.

Clutch has some great tone also.
IWreckALot
4/27/2015 7:43am
There are three bands that come to mind. I can ALWAYS tell when one of these three release a new song even if I haven't heard the singer or know the song.

Tool
AC/DC
Avenged Sevenfold

I was once told that artists can patent their sound. Is that even possible?
Rocket88
4/27/2015 8:30am
It worked for Harley Davidson!
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
4/27/2015 9:47am
here is another tone that will make your teeth bleed. Also that snare..... I like when guitar tones are so good you don't really have to...
here is another tone that will make your teeth bleed. Also that snare.....

I like when guitar tones are so good you don't really have to do bad ass riffing, just let the guitar sound do all the work.

https://youtu.be/iIGKlicb8n0
Yes and yes!

Others I dig for tone: August Burns Red, Deftones, In Flames
Cygnus
4/27/2015 11:45am
You ever notice how some guitar sounds on very famous recordings, seem rather thin? For example, some of Page's tones sound a bit shrill if you...

That is more a great producer than player IMO. Some guys just know how to master a record and make something decent great.
Cygnus
4/27/2015 11:48am
I almost always answer this question with 3 guys. Brian May, Randy Rhodes and Dimebag Darrel.
4/27/2015 3:42pm
Cygnus wrote:
I almost always answer this question with 3 guys. Brian May, Randy Rhodes and Dimebag Darrel.
I liked Dime in the later years when he switched amps and got rid of the solid states.
cjmx
Fantasy
1180th
4/29/2015 6:21am
Sheavy is a great band...longtime fan. Here's some other bands with sweet riffs

Novadriver

https://youtu.be/4rUgHs1yfyI?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0

a little heavier: Solace

https://youtu.be/e_1314fNrYM?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0

and no way you can leave out Eddie Glass from Nebula

https://youtu.be/mM_VpcqUMg8?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0

the list goes on and on.
WeiserGuy
4/29/2015 7:16am
Not a single mention of two of the ALL TIME greatest? Never heard of Alabama Shakes but I dig it.

Jimmy Page & Jimi Hendrix have to be included in this discussion.

Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
4/30/2015 5:37am
I love the guitar tone of the shoegaze genre, of which My Bloody Valentine rule

4/30/2015 5:53am
WeiserGuy wrote:
Not a single mention of two of the ALL TIME greatest? Never heard of Alabama Shakes but I dig it. Jimmy Page & Jimi Hendrix have to...
Not a single mention of two of the ALL TIME greatest? Never heard of Alabama Shakes but I dig it.

Well, I don't think page's tone is very good.
Rocket88
4/30/2015 7:41am
WeiserGuy wrote:
Not a single mention of two of the ALL TIME greatest? Never heard of Alabama Shakes but I dig it. Jimmy Page & Jimi Hendrix have to...

Well, I don't think page's tone is very good.
Gotta give it up for Page on Led Zep 1!

Telecaster through an old Supro amp = Balls of Steel!

Post a reply to: bands with the best guitar tone

The Latest