Your job/career

motogrady
8/19/2019 8:48pm
hvacr has kind of been the most thing I do to make a living. Can't seem to get away from it. Always something different. Different places, people, the work itself is what I like.

Finished this one last week.

motogrady
8/19/2019 9:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2019 9:12pm
A 7 foot kitchen exhaust hood. Didn't make the hood, or charge the fire suppression system, but everything else. The owner, KD, is a hari Krishna guy. Right in downtown Morgantown.

The shiny light gauge metal is where the air sucks in. The dark, round to square exhaust duct is 16 ga welded,
all made on site. 1/8th 6011s using a red Lincoln stick welder and a 4 foot brake.

Notice the wiring, first hood I've had where all the controls and fire stuff is in the hood. Being all electric stove and fryer, we had to pull 100amp wire,
#2 aluminum, from the circuit box, thru the hood controls and contractors to feed the equipment.
After all that, the brick works was almost fun.

Next job up, replace 2 - 5 ton AC units in a car dealership, almost 80 miles away.

8/20/2019 7:19am
danman wrote:
IT Manager, Healthcare. Pays the bills, but Healthcare is pretty stressful with all of the diminishing reimbursements. What once was a stable industry is now a...
IT Manager, Healthcare. Pays the bills, but Healthcare is pretty stressful with all of the diminishing reimbursements. What once was a stable industry is now a mess.
Shit rolls down hill. Your stress Compounds by the time it hits the bedside nurse.

The Shop

danman
8/20/2019 7:38am
danman wrote:
IT Manager, Healthcare. Pays the bills, but Healthcare is pretty stressful with all of the diminishing reimbursements. What once was a stable industry is now a...
IT Manager, Healthcare. Pays the bills, but Healthcare is pretty stressful with all of the diminishing reimbursements. What once was a stable industry is now a mess.
Shit rolls down hill. Your stress Compounds by the time it hits the bedside nurse.
I agree, but where I work, we are the ones getting shit on. Prior to me, there was 2 IT managers over a 5 year period. On was here a year, then no manager for 1.5 years. The next one only made it 6 months, then another 1+ with no manager. I've been cleaning up the negligence the last 4 years. I've also spent the last 4 years trying to get our Sr Leader team to understand that IT is an asset and can help the Organization, as opposed to being a necessary evil. It's an uphill battle, but it's working slowly. We are finally getting some $ to upgrade the infrastructure to get it up to the early 2000's era.
I say this tongue and cheek, but thankfully, I sit in the basement away from people, so my stress is pretty much only seen by my team and my boss.
casper
8/20/2019 9:48am
Petroleum engineer for TransCanada. Essentially over see the operations of 7 northern Ohio storage field that contain 1000 wells and 120billion cubic feet of gas.
I'm an EE that works in software but if I were to do it again, I would want to go the PE route. I almost went to get a Masters in PE during the recession but then the price of oil plummeted and passed on it. How is it working as a PE these days?
MotoSavage
8/20/2019 12:22pm
Lead Designer over at BikeGraphix. But currently in school for the next 3 years to get a Bachelors in Business Information Systems.
Pirate421
8/20/2019 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2019 7:18pm
Military and I work Friday overnights on an ambulance as an EMT because I’m a glutton for punishment I guess
Chance1216
8/21/2019 6:00am
Foreman for a commercial plumbing contractor in the Seattle area.
WVUpetro2013
8/21/2019 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2019 2:46pm
casper wrote:
I'm an EE that works in software but if I were to do it again, I would want to go the PE route. I almost went...
I'm an EE that works in software but if I were to do it again, I would want to go the PE route. I almost went to get a Masters in PE during the recession but then the price of oil plummeted and passed on it. How is it working as a PE these days?
Depends what part of the industry you are in. From what I can tell, the exploration and production appears to have stabilized some in the Appalachian area. I think I was pretty fortunate to land a job as a reservoir engineer in gas storage right before the recession. Storage industry has not really seen much fluctuation as there is not much boom or bust with the transmission companies.

Edit: Ironic side note that you may appreciate. The person that trained me right out of college was an EE working for a Petro service company for 20 years, then decided to get a masters in PE online and become a storage reservoir engineer.
SEEMEFIRST
8/21/2019 6:45pm
Machine tech for a fairly well known cola company.
But we just bottle water.

But if you see my mom, tell her that I'm a piano player in a whorehouse. I'd hate to disappoint her.
chewy4063
8/21/2019 11:00pm
Paramedic. Looking for a change real soon.
akmx17
8/22/2019 12:53pm
Web and App Developer
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
8/22/2019 2:35pm
I keep a water filtration plant running for the city water in my city.
SEEMEFIRST
8/22/2019 7:36pm
dsmith wrote:
You know anything about turbidity or conductivity?

Haha...
motogrady
8/22/2019 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2019 7:49pm
dsmith wrote:
We had a pretty big event here in WV a few years ago.

I never realized all what goes into what you guys do.
After a chemical storage tank leaked for a day or so, into a main river here, it contaminated more than a few water plants and towns downstream.

By the time a few guys in a treatment plant noticed the chemicals in their place it was too late.
The work that had to be done, giant filters had to be replaced, water lines were flushed for months, they had to supply
who knows how many people with bottled water for over a year.
Property values plummeted, toursium also, people were just plain freaking out.

There was a a pretty long story on the news, just the chemicals you guys use, the strength, the quantity of them,
was kinda mind boggling.
Moto331
8/22/2019 11:30pm
Realtor and rideshare driver (Uber/lyft) in beautiful
Coeur d’Alene Idaho
dmm698
8/23/2019 4:35am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2019 4:36am
Mechanical engineering degree, did a few years of engine system testing, now manage a Dyno lab while still doing some testing here and there at a larger Tier 1 OE supplier.
8/23/2019 6:05am
Just got off a small stent of active duty...few months. Loved it. Learned A lot.
HackMan162
8/23/2019 6:09am
I'm an EE in chip design. I manage a team that is designing the best microprocessor cores in the industry. Smile

I'm a total gearhead at heart, but it pays the bills....
Casting
8/23/2019 6:36am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2019 6:46am
I am a supervisor in a psychiatric hospital, primarily responsible for people ages 6-18.

Prior to this, I was doing neuro-psych assessments for a regular hospital. Most people getting a full neuropsych assessment are doing so because they experienced (1) a concussion, (2) traumatic brain injury beyond simply a concussion, or (3) complex mental health issues that require lots of testing to accurately diagnose and treat.

A full neuro-psych assessment takes about 6 hours, not including the intake interview where we simply ask questions to gather information on background.

The assessment itself is roughly 6 hours of activities either with paper/pencil, on a computer, and with a psychologist (who is always present to observe the person taking the tests). These tests look at peoples problem-solving skills, working memory, language production, language comprehension, processing speed, fine motor skills, logic, visual-spacial skills, focus/concentration, mood, etc.

Most people I worked with were regular citizens, though on occasion we would get someone court-ordered for neuro psych testing and that was usually pretty interesting...

I would love the opportunity to learn about the concussion protocol used in motocross.

We still have so much to learn about concussions and recovery.
jpatz319
Fantasy
1285th
8/23/2019 7:58am
Plastics Engineer for a large pool equipment company. I don't know if it would still be my first choice but when i entered school (2009) I opted for a degree with a 95% job placement.
WVUpetro2013
8/23/2019 8:47am
dsmith wrote:
motogrady wrote:
We had a pretty big event here in WV a few years ago. I never realized all what goes into what you guys do. After a...
We had a pretty big event here in WV a few years ago.

I never realized all what goes into what you guys do.
After a chemical storage tank leaked for a day or so, into a main river here, it contaminated more than a few water plants and towns downstream.

By the time a few guys in a treatment plant noticed the chemicals in their place it was too late.
The work that had to be done, giant filters had to be replaced, water lines were flushed for months, they had to supply
who knows how many people with bottled water for over a year.
Property values plummeted, toursium also, people were just plain freaking out.

There was a a pretty long story on the news, just the chemicals you guys use, the strength, the quantity of them,
was kinda mind boggling.
Yea, I was here for that, it was super sucky
8/24/2019 2:00pm
Water distribution and little treatment when that side needs help with maintenance
SEEMEFIRST
8/24/2019 2:36pm
Water distribution and little treatment when that side needs help with maintenance
We need 10 micro Siemens and 8ph!

I'm giving it all she's got Captain!
8/24/2019 2:48pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:

lol. We only have a fluoride treatment plant and I don't know much about it. The distribution guys help once in a while to change out the media
mxtech1
8/24/2019 3:48pm
Drive train engineering at John Deere. I conduct lab and field testing during product development.
scrallex
8/24/2019 6:58pm
Just finished my degree in mechanical engineering in May. Worked my whole last year of college as the chief of engineering for BlastPro Manufacturing, a small manufacturing company that specializes in shot blasters and floor scrapers.

Did that full time for all of three months after graduation before accepting a job to work for Mark Rober, a mechanical engineer turned YouTuber. Now I help build crazy stuff and do basically all the things that he either has no time for or is not interested in doing. For me, as someone who thought they wanted to be an engineer his whole life but soon found out that the typical 9-5 behind a desk was not for me, this was the single greatest thing to ever happen in my life!
SEEMEFIRST
8/24/2019 11:53pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:

lol. We only have a fluoride treatment plant and I don't know much about it. The distribution guys help once in a while to change out...
lol. We only have a fluoride treatment plant and I don't know much about it. The distribution guys help once in a while to change out the media
Ah, we bottle water.
They're very picky.

Post a reply to: Your job/career

The Latest