Your job/career

rhargrave431
Edited Date/Time 12/16/2019 7:47pm
I looked in the archives and didn't see anything, just curious to what some of your jobs are? I remember a few years ago, someone had something to do with the fabrication of Felix Baumgartners space jump, anything else exciting out there!?
|
1/11/2017 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2017 1:54pm
There was a thread only a month or two ago about exactly this, but I can't find it either. Even site searching on google I couldn't track it down.

Anyway, I formulate and engineer lubricants for powersports machines. Not exciting per se, but there are some interesting moments.
hvaughn88
1/11/2017 2:08pm
I sell hand sanitizer outside of the adult bookstore
I bet you're making money hand over fist

The Shop

JW381
1/11/2017 2:37pm
I work at a fab shop. We build components for SpaceX, the USAF (currently building F16 docking stations for a base in Misawa Japan), companies that test bullet proof glass, and a ton of other construction. None of it is direct contract work and it's usually all pretty industrious as opposed to high end work. Still fun though and I've learned a ton.
MR. X
1/11/2017 2:51pm
I build the dies for the cars that Newmann eventually gets to repair.
JRT812
1/11/2017 3:57pm
Project management within the healthcare field.
KBOLTZ
1/11/2017 4:25pm
Motion Graphics Designer at the NFL
newmann
1/11/2017 4:36pm
So far, I'd like to follow JW and Mr X around throughout the day. I love seeing stuff get built. I would make an excellent flunky, even know how to push a broom quite well.
JRT812
1/11/2017 4:40pm
Same here Newmann! Love that stuff!
APLMAN99
1/11/2017 4:42pm
After a couple of extended tangents, I'm happy to be back to my roots, so to speak. Growing a whole bunch of apples, and a pretty fair amount of cherries.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
1/11/2017 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2017 4:55pm
My division of GE builds large industrial engines (500 -5000hp) used in oil & gas and power gen applications. In the natural gas application they suck gas out of the ground, boost it down the pipeline and into your house or storage. I work in the product support group.

Interesting story- two of our engines driving generators were in the basement of the World Trade Center. They provided emergency backup power. The engines were running during the collapse of the towers and were providing emergency lighting in the stairways. One engine survived and was brought back to our factory and is on display..I walk past it every day.. On more than a few occasions I have seen people break down emotionally when they see the engine.

Here it is arriving at work. Shortly after it was clear coated.

MR. X
1/11/2017 4:55pm
newmann wrote:
So far, I'd like to follow JW and Mr X around throughout the day. I love seeing stuff get built. I would make an excellent flunky...
So far, I'd like to follow JW and Mr X around throughout the day. I love seeing stuff get built. I would make an excellent flunky, even know how to push a broom quite well.
You would have a blast at the plant ,your back ground in collision would help tremendously while seeing outer panels go from flat stock to a finished body panel in 3-5 hits . You would get a kick out of the high light booths too , basically a wall of light tubes ,the body panel is wiped with a lite oil to simulate a gloss paint job . You would be surprised how small of a piece of dirt/debris it takes to make a body panel unacceptable . A grain of sand would create an out board so big that you would see it clear as day in highlight.
sleeve1
Fantasy
1921st
1/11/2017 5:24pm
Welder/Fabricator for the past 20 years. Currently supporting the aerospace industry. When I took the job I had to sign a no disclosure form but i will say I get to weld some really cool stuff.
JWACK
1/11/2017 5:34pm
I maintain all the mechanical and electrical devices on a good stretch of railroad. Railroading will toughen you up a bit!
JRT812
1/11/2017 5:35pm
Would love to learn how to weld Titanium
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/11/2017 6:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2017 6:45pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
That is one of the most underated 1-2's (non-scripted) Ive seen here. Stay golden!

hvaughn88
1/11/2017 7:16pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
kzizok wrote:
That is one of the most underated 1-2's (non-scripted) Ive seen here. Stay golden!

Wink
newmann
1/11/2017 7:46pm
newmann wrote:
So far, I'd like to follow JW and Mr X around throughout the day. I love seeing stuff get built. I would make an excellent flunky...
MR. X wrote:
You would have a blast at the plant ,your back ground in collision would help tremendously while seeing outer panels go from flat stock to a...
You would have a blast at the plant ,your back ground in collision would help tremendously while seeing outer panels go from flat stock to a finished body panel in 3-5 hits . You would get a kick out of the high light booths too , basically a wall of light tubes ,the body panel is wiped with a lite oil to simulate a gloss paint job . You would be surprised how small of a piece of dirt/debris it takes to make a body panel unacceptable . A grain of sand would create an out board so big that you would see it clear as day in highlight.
I see those outies from time to time in new replacement parts. Also unboxed a new Ford hood once that was still banded shut from the factory. Open it up and there was a four foot tall dick, complete with balls and legs running full sprint drawn in magic marker on the inside of the box. Laughing
captmoto
1/11/2017 10:00pm
There was a thread only a month or two ago about exactly this, but I can't find it either. Even site searching on google I couldn't...
There was a thread only a month or two ago about exactly this, but I can't find it either. Even site searching on google I couldn't track it down.

Anyway, I formulate and engineer lubricants for powersports machines. Not exciting per se, but there are some interesting moments.
Sweet!! What oil do you run in your bikes? Do you run a secret blend of unobtanium?
MX114
1/12/2017 3:00am
I invented yoga pants. Your welcome mankind
MR. X
1/12/2017 3:04am
MX114 wrote:
I invented yoga pants. Your welcome mankind
Thank you sir , you've increased the size of spank banks all over the world.
MX114
1/12/2017 4:27am
sumdood wrote:
Since 1980 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/01/12/168617/s1200_BPSLOGO.jpg[/img]
Since 1980

That logo is awesome. And San Clemente may just be the greatest place in the country to live and work. Good stuff man not a bad way to make a living
MR. X
1/12/2017 4:44am
newmann wrote:
I see those outies from time to time in new replacement parts. Also unboxed a new Ford hood once that was still banded shut from the...
I see those outies from time to time in new replacement parts. Also unboxed a new Ford hood once that was still banded shut from the factory. Open it up and there was a four foot tall dick, complete with balls and legs running full sprint drawn in magic marker on the inside of the box. Laughing
It must be the kids drawing the dicks . There is one on the guy of the cross walk sign ,there is a dick car on the bathroom wall complete with a dick as the driver . Random beams with dicks drawn on them ,probably every dry erase board you come across will have some kind of dick drawn on it. Its an epidemic of dick fetish.
MR. X
1/12/2017 5:05am
Brad460 wrote:
My division of GE builds large industrial engines (500 -5000hp) used in oil & gas and power gen applications. In the natural gas application they suck...
My division of GE builds large industrial engines (500 -5000hp) used in oil & gas and power gen applications. In the natural gas application they suck gas out of the ground, boost it down the pipeline and into your house or storage. I work in the product support group.

Interesting story- two of our engines driving generators were in the basement of the World Trade Center. They provided emergency backup power. The engines were running during the collapse of the towers and were providing emergency lighting in the stairways. One engine survived and was brought back to our factory and is on display..I walk past it every day.. On more than a few occasions I have seen people break down emotionally when they see the engine.

Here it is arriving at work. Shortly after it was clear coated.

So is that a dresser rand plant ? My best friend is an engineer for dresser rand ,I think it's Siemens now?
1/12/2017 5:59am
There was a thread only a month or two ago about exactly this, but I can't find it either. Even site searching on google I couldn't...

captmoto wrote:
Sweet!! What oil do you run in your bikes? Do you run a secret blend of unobtanium?
I run the regular stuff off the shelf, but that is mostly because I suck and it would be a waste to run the good stuff in my own bikes.

The unobtanium is reserved for the dyno bikes and to the pro teams. Those are the interesting moments.

Post a reply to: Your job/career

The Latest