You stay classy, Pat Robertson...

Spinner
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 7:24pm
http://open.salon.com/blog/the_desperate_blogger/2010/02/27/robertson_g…

Robertson: “God Even Angrier with Chile than Haiti"

Citing what he described as the “the persecution of a great hero who rid their land of Godless communists” as a possible cause, prominent TV evangelist and amateur seismologist Pat Robertson today argued that the 8.8 magnitude of the earthquake that struck Chile early this morning should serve as a warning to the population that “God is even angrier with them than he is with the people of Haiti.”

“If I had to guess, I’d say it must have to do with Chile’s persecution and attempted prosecution of their great former leader, and a personal hero of mine, Augusto Pinochet – who, it should be noted, had never been convicted of a crime when the Lord called him home three years ago.” The popular host of ‘The 700 Club’ and longtime bingo circuit icon also added, “General Pinochet not only assisted the CIA in the overthrow of Chile’s Marxist government, but is widely credited with personally arranging the meetings of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of his countrymen with Jesus.”

General Pinochet, who spent the last eight years of his life fighting prosecution on human rights and other charges before succumbing to congestive heart failure in December 2006, could not be reached for comment, even by Robertson. The General–turned-Dictator has long been considered a transformative figure in the field of Crimes Against Humanity as a result of his landmark policy of ‘Forced Disappearance’, and was even honored in 1998 with the first-ever arrest warrant for a former head of state under the principle of ‘universal jurisdiction’ by Spanish Judge Baltasar Garzon, who is currently investigating former Bush Administration officials for War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity.

For his part, Robertson, who reportedly lobbied then-President George W. Bush on behalf of former Liberian Dictator and accused Human Rights criminal Charles Taylor in exchange for lucrative gold mining contracts, says that he is “praying that the people of Chile will heed this warning, and never again blaspheme against God and international free-market commerce by nationalizing their most precious natural resources.”
|
Titan1
3/1/2010 11:42am
That guy is a waste of air, he should be encouraging his followers to contribute to the rebuilding and welfare of those people, not judging them.

Totally uncalled for.
Racer92
3/1/2010 12:30pm
What kinda god would be angry, mad and purposefully harm its creation(s)?
eddie
3/1/2010 12:56pm
so robertson and pinochet were buddies .... i am not surprised .

The Shop

72kiteboarder
3/1/2010 4:12pm
This guy should be banned from the air waves for hate mongering.
FlaNard
3/1/2010 4:29pm
To "stay" classy, one must first be classy. Robertson and class have nothing in common.
J.F.S
3/2/2010 1:07am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2010 5:54am
Racer92 wrote:
What kinda god would be angry, mad and purposefully harm its creation(s)?
No god, hence there is no god. Robertson is a waste of air, amazing that he has a following, him and his fans are truly idiots for so many reasons.
3/2/2010 10:43am
he gives Christians a bad name - yet many Christians follow him no matter what he says.
Tom_joad
3/2/2010 11:15am
"For those who aren't sure: I always try to provide "hints" as to what's real and what's not. What's real is Robertson's own "deal with the Devil" (or in his case, Taylor from Liberia) for which a link is provided. Aside from tags 'snark' and 'satire', i also try and throw in clues like: "... prominent TV evangelist and amateur seismologist" "The popular host of ‘The 700 Club’ and longtime bingo circuit icon..." "General Pinochet, who spent the last eight years of his life fighting prosecution on human rights and other charges before succumbing to congestive heart failure in December 2006, could not be reached for comment, even by Robertson." and "...honored in 1998 with the first-ever arrest warrant for a former head of state..."
The Desperate Blogger
February 28, 2010 09:26 AM"

look at the sheep eat...
3/2/2010 12:10pm
Tom_joad wrote:
"For those who aren't sure: I always try to provide "hints" as to what's real and what's not. What's real is Robertson's own "deal with the...
"For those who aren't sure: I always try to provide "hints" as to what's real and what's not. What's real is Robertson's own "deal with the Devil" (or in his case, Taylor from Liberia) for which a link is provided. Aside from tags 'snark' and 'satire', i also try and throw in clues like: "... prominent TV evangelist and amateur seismologist" "The popular host of ‘The 700 Club’ and longtime bingo circuit icon..." "General Pinochet, who spent the last eight years of his life fighting prosecution on human rights and other charges before succumbing to congestive heart failure in December 2006, could not be reached for comment, even by Robertson." and "...honored in 1998 with the first-ever arrest warrant for a former head of state..."
The Desperate Blogger
February 28, 2010 09:26 AM"

look at the sheep eat...
you are saying this Pat didn't say this stuff? It's obvious the clip above was written with a little humor, but there is a vid out there somewhere of him saying this.
Tom_joad
3/2/2010 1:44pm
No, the author is saying Pat didn’t say that stuff.

Post a reply to: You stay classy, Pat Robertson...

The Latest