Yellowstone Flooding

davis224
Fantasy
165th
6/21/2022 7:29am
They're reopening the southern part of the park tomorrow, north loop is probably going to be closed til next year.

Took a Wyoming road trip last year, Yellowstone was crazy crowded, spent less time there than I wanted because it just felt like a museum exhibit, wait in line, snap your picture, move on. Once you get more than a couple miles into a trail you can be completely alone though, same with the Tetons.
Ended up spending the most time in a "breezy" range in the area, had to hike through thigh deep snow, but it was worth it.
TeamGreen
6/21/2022 11:41am
For the folks that like to see the hi-country and “the outer range”, when the north end of the park is closed…THAT is the best time to hike in and see the park in all it's glory.

The Shop

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
6/22/2022 1:36am
Meanwhile in Ca we got the most rain we’ve had in months tonight
plowboy
6/22/2022 8:08am
sumdood wrote:
Meanwhile in Ca we got the most rain we’ve had in months tonight [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/22/556247/s1200_252E9687_8051_4D66_8CA2_EAAD0E3B0587.jpg[/img]
Break out the life vests...lol.
peelout
6/22/2022 8:27am
sumdood wrote:
Meanwhile in Ca we got the most rain we’ve had in months tonight [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/22/556247/s1200_252E9687_8051_4D66_8CA2_EAAD0E3B0587.jpg[/img]
unplug the power tools!
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/22/2022 9:52am
Here's the schedule of how they are letting people into the park.
McG194
6/22/2022 12:33pm
dkurtd wrote:
Idiots trying to pet Bison. Like so many things wrong in our world, it's the Bisons fault when the idiot gets gored or trampled.
Yes, there are lots of idiots in the world but I don't think I've ever heard people blaming a bison for a person getting the hell kicked out of them by a bison.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
6/22/2022 2:29pm
dkurtd wrote:
Idiots trying to pet Bison. Like so many things wrong in our world, it's the Bisons fault when the idiot gets gored or trampled.
McG194 wrote:
Yes, there are lots of idiots in the world but I don't think I've ever heard people blaming a bison for a person getting the hell...
Yes, there are lots of idiots in the world but I don't think I've ever heard people blaming a bison for a person getting the hell kicked out of them by a bison.
My girlfriend grew up by Shenandoah and has heard people ask rangers "when the bear show is", and tell a ranger "the animatronic bears out front are terrific!", I watched people put their toddlers in front of bison in Yellowstone for a photo op, and had a ranger in Yosemite tell me if I wanted to keep my bear spray to put it in my pack, it's banned in the park because too many tourists thought it was like "bear OFF" and sprayed their kids and campsite down with it.

If you can dream it, people are dumb enough to do it. It's a blurry line between wanting everyone to be able to enjoy the beauty of the parks, and wanting to keep idiots away at all costs.

By the way, I did just see on their IG page that they're hoping to open the majority of the park in a few weeks? Wonder what they're going to do about the chunks of missing road, just backfill and pave at a later date?
lumpy790
6/22/2022 4:50pm
dkurtd wrote:
McG194 wrote:
Yes, there are lots of idiots in the world but I don't think I've ever heard people blaming a bison for a person getting the hell...
davis224 wrote:
My girlfriend grew up by Shenandoah and has heard people ask rangers "when the bear show is", and tell a ranger "the animatronic bears out front...
My girlfriend grew up by Shenandoah and has heard people ask rangers "when the bear show is", and tell a ranger "the animatronic bears out front are terrific!", I watched people put their toddlers in front of bison in Yellowstone for a photo op, and had a ranger in Yosemite tell me if I wanted to keep my bear spray to put it in my pack, it's banned in the park because too many tourists thought it was like "bear OFF" and sprayed their kids and campsite down with it.

If you can dream it, people are dumb enough to do it. It's a blurry line between wanting everyone to be able to enjoy the beauty of the parks, and wanting to keep idiots away at all costs.

By the way, I did just see on their IG page that they're hoping to open the majority of the park in a few weeks? Wonder what they're going to do about the chunks of missing road, just backfill and pave at a later date?
Yellowstone, Grand canyon and Tetons are all on our bucket list.

My guess is dump in huge boulders where the road was and line the edges along the creek to slow erosion next time
davis224
Fantasy
165th
6/22/2022 5:06pm
McG194 wrote:
davis224 wrote:
My girlfriend grew up by Shenandoah and has heard people ask rangers "when the bear show is", and tell a ranger "the animatronic bears out front...

lumpy790 wrote:
Yellowstone, Grand canyon and Tetons are all on our bucket list. My guess is dump in huge boulders where the road was and line the edges...
Yellowstone, Grand canyon and Tetons are all on our bucket list.

My guess is dump in huge boulders where the road was and line the edges along the creek to slow erosion next time
I've yet to make it to the Grand Canyon, I'd love to make an early winter/late fall desert trip and see a few desert parka like Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon and Death Valley

Post a reply to: Yellowstone Flooding

The Latest