Yellowstone Flooding

LungButter
6/14/2022 8:42am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2022 5:07pm
Seems like Mother Nature has had enough of Yellowstone being raped by tourists and wants a break. Feel bad for folks who are gonna lose belongings and jobs but it'll sure be good for the park to get a break from the tourists for awhile. It's pretty sad how overrun it's become and the stupidity that people display there.

|
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
6/14/2022 8:55am
Man, that sucks. I feel for all the displaced people.
ElliotB16
6/14/2022 8:58am
Maybe it just rained a lot
LungButter
6/14/2022 10:13am
ElliotB16 wrote:
Maybe it just rained a lot
If you wanna get technical it's actually a combination of rain and snow run-off coming out of the mountains.
peelout
6/14/2022 10:29am
pretty wild shit, my guess is it will be a long time before they get the roads/bridges/etc built back up for visitors

The Shop

LungButter
6/14/2022 10:35am
peelout wrote:
pretty wild shit, my guess is it will be a long time before they get the roads/bridges/etc built back up for visitors
Agreed. It's gonna be hell on the economy around there but shit has been out of control there lately. Hopefully this is a chance to reset and bring things back to a manageable level.
Jeremy A.K.
6/14/2022 11:05am
LungButter wrote:
Agreed. It's gonna be hell on the economy around there but shit has been out of control there lately. Hopefully this is a chance to reset...
Agreed. It's gonna be hell on the economy around there but shit has been out of control there lately. Hopefully this is a chance to reset and bring things back to a manageable level.
Specifically ,what are your concerns about people visiting public land?
dkurtd
6/14/2022 11:12am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 11:17am
LungButter wrote:
Agreed. It's gonna be hell on the economy around there but shit has been out of control there lately. Hopefully this is a chance to reset...
Idiots trying to pet Bison. Like so many things wrong in our world, it's the Bisons fault when the idiot gets gored or trampled.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
6/14/2022 11:20am
LungButter wrote:
As someone who spent a ton of time up in the Tetons/Yellowstone growing up I can tell you the amount of people that visit that area now is out of control. Everything is being impacted by the onslaught of tourists. Air quality, wildlife, just nature in general. It's like being at Disneyland on a holiday weekend.

I for one am glad that the park is effectively shut down right now. It needs a break from us.
Jeremy A.K.
6/14/2022 11:24am
Interesting takes ,just curious is all. I'm on the opposite of the "argument" I take access to public lands very serious . We have a great thing going in this country with public lands.
LungButter
6/14/2022 11:25am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 11:31am
Everything that avidchimp said.

Especially in recent years the overcrowding has been disgusting.

It is quite possible to "love something to death".

Edited to add: I too take access to Public Lands very serious. I have spent thousands of my own dollars and hundreds of hours of my own time fighting for and defending it. We have a lot of idiots in this country who would love to see it sold off and privatized.
jeffro503
6/14/2022 12:06pm
Man that road is just destroyed! A lot of work getting that thing repaired.
peelout
6/14/2022 12:24pm
LungButter wrote:
Everything that avidchimp said. Especially in recent years the overcrowding has been disgusting. It is quite possible to "love something to death". Edited to add: I...

Edited to add: I too take access to Public Lands very serious. I have spent thousands of my own dollars and hundreds of hours of my own time fighting for and defending it. We have a lot of idiots in this country who would love to see it sold off and privatized.
obviously Yellowstone is the main topic of the thread, but i'll piggy-back it and say that ever since Covid EVERY public place in Utah has been overcrowded to the point being ridiculous. i've never seen the lakes more overcrowded than over the last two years. the mountains for camping, atv/offroading. Moab is a damn joke anymore. it's out of control.

as for Yellowstone, i've only really ever been in the Winter snowmobiling near West Yellowstone so i've never witnessed the crowds first-hand. but i know it's been bad especially the last couple years.
Jeremy A.K.
6/14/2022 12:35pm
LungButter wrote:
Everything that avidchimp said. Especially in recent years the overcrowding has been disgusting. It is quite possible to "love something to death". Edited to add: I...

peelout wrote:
obviously Yellowstone is the main topic of the thread, but i'll piggy-back it and say that ever since Covid EVERY public place in Utah has been...
obviously Yellowstone is the main topic of the thread, but i'll piggy-back it and say that ever since Covid EVERY public place in Utah has been overcrowded to the point being ridiculous. i've never seen the lakes more overcrowded than over the last two years. the mountains for camping, atv/offroading. Moab is a damn joke anymore. it's out of control.

as for Yellowstone, i've only really ever been in the Winter snowmobiling near West Yellowstone so i've never witnessed the crowds first-hand. but i know it's been bad especially the last couple years.
Here in the north east camp grounds are out of spots every weekend and the cost of campers is through the roof. I would have never in a million years thought camping and outdoor activities twould spike the way they have.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
6/14/2022 12:41pm
peelout wrote:
obviously Yellowstone is the main topic of the thread, but i'll piggy-back it and say that ever since Covid EVERY public place in Utah has been...

The traffic getting in and out of Jackson nowadays is unreal bad.

As you said, the whole national park system is being over-run. I won't even go near Zion anymore.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
6/14/2022 1:41pm
avidchimp wrote:
The traffic getting in and out of Jackson nowadays is unreal bad. As you said, the whole national park system is being over-run. I won't even...

As you said, the whole national park system is being over-run. I won't even go near Zion anymore.
This flooding is sad but I also agree with everyone. There are so many oblivious/ignorant idiots crowding national parks these days.

I went to Zion this winter during pretty rare snow/whiteout conditions. It was amazing with almost no one there. No way I’m ever going back during any “peak” season.

Joey_Bridges
6/14/2022 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 1:52pm
Same with what used to be a very quiet, locals only, wilderness area linville gorge.
For years we could walk from our cabin over to the gorge, hike around all day, and never see another human.

Not anymore.
We avoid the place now from Friday morning thru Sunday night.
Even during the week people are flying up and down the road, marked for 20mph, leading to the gorge.

Trash, cars parked blocking the forest service road, smoldering fire pits, tree stumps from citified idiots chopping down trees for firewood, etc... are taking their toll.
Even guys on dirt bikes poaching hiking trails.

We've had a place above the gorge for a dozen years now.
The last few years it's gotten insane.
Jeremy A.K.
6/14/2022 2:34pm
Same with what used to be a very quiet, locals only, wilderness area linville gorge. For years we could walk from our cabin over to the...
Same with what used to be a very quiet, locals only, wilderness area linville gorge.
For years we could walk from our cabin over to the gorge, hike around all day, and never see another human.

Not anymore.
Even during the week people are flying up and down the road, marked for 20mph, leading to the gorge.

Trash, cars parked blocking the forest service road, smoldering fire pits, tree stumps from citified idiots chopping down trees for firewood, etc... are taking their toll.

Nothing says jack ass like chopping down a live tree and trying to burn it lol
lestat
6/14/2022 3:11pm
Because of Covid , all the usual American tourists had to be tourists in America rather than out of country . Quite the spectacle isn’t it ?
TeamGreen
6/14/2022 3:15pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 3:22pm
Same with what used to be a very quiet, locals only, wilderness area linville gorge. For years we could walk from our cabin over to the...

Not anymore.

During COVID, I've been thru or driven by the east entrance to Yosemite a coupl'a times per month. Early on they went to a reservation system...JUST TO GET IN THE PARK...I was a bit annoyed; but, "the inner-little kid" that spent his summers at Yosemite understood.

It has since been revised to this:

A reservation is required to drive into or through Yosemite National Park from 6 am to 4 pm daily. If you are planning to arrive after 4 pm, please do not arrive at a park entrance station until after 4 pm. Vehicles blocking roads will be cited.

Well, after seeing what y'all are throwing down...combined with the ABSOLUTELY INSANE SHIT I've seen...ESPECIALLY in "Yosemite Valley" where allllll the tourists go to see "Yosemite"...

Examples:

On trails near bus parking: HUMAN SHIT all over the f'ing place. Not Kidding. This is right on the Merced River near what once was a prime fishing spot.

Stupid-Ass-TERRIBLE drivers! Never-mind the dumb-asses SPEEDING or, worse yet...revving their Loud Assed Motorcycles and Cars...but...NO WORRIES! You won't believe how expansive a ticket for violating any of that is...and I'm certainly "OK with it". Parking Violations will cost you a fortune, too. I LOVE IT!

The problem for Yosemite, for a long time now, is -or has been- the very same issue(s) many of you are talking about for Yellowstone, Zion and The Gorge.

From what I'm seeing, this "reservation system" is working to slow things down.

Look, we all sound like a bunch of bitchy old guys yelling at the kids,"Get of my damn lawn!". But, ya know what?
We ain't wrong.

I'm jus' sayin'...
TeamGreen
6/14/2022 3:19pm
lestat wrote:
Because of Covid , all the usual American tourists had to be tourists in America rather than out of country . Quite the spectacle isn’t it...
Because of Covid , all the usual American tourists had to be tourists in America rather than out of country . Quite the spectacle isn’t it ?
Ok, you're not gonna believe this...

Because, I've got a shocker for ya. Yup, right here in the middle of Non-Moto...

I completely agree with you!

I've seen people in remote places in the Sierras during "The COVID" where I VIRTUALLY NEVER saw people prior to COVID.

I apologize if I caused you to fall-over in dis-belief. Grinning

Jake_CR250R
6/14/2022 4:09pm
peelout wrote:

avidchimp wrote:
The traffic getting in and out of Jackson nowadays is unreal bad. As you said, the whole national park system is being over-run. I won't even...

It truly is insane how things have changed. I went to Zion 4 years ago right around this time and only came across 3 other people on the Angels landing hike. I haven't even thought about making a National Park trip in the past few years things have been so crowded.

I don't have an answer, I fully agree the parks should be open to everyone and that's one of the unique things about the U.S., but I'd also like to see the parks healthy and maintained for many years to come.
Natester551v
6/14/2022 4:36pm
I sat next to a gal on a flight a couple of years ago (probably 3.5 years, because it was well before COVID) that worked for one of these big companies that runs the lodging and tourist services (gift shops, hotels, etc.) and asked her what happened with Zion (close to us in St. George). She said that during the Obama administration they began advertising our national parks in Europe, where many folks had never seen anything like some of our parks (back during the World's Fair in the early 1900s there were booths set up with photos from Zion, and people thought they were fake). Anyhow, the advertising worked to drive up the traffic into our national parks like 10x.

I think most people visiting from Europe or other places are generally pretty respectful (it's probably the ugly Americans that leave all of that crap and behave so badly in many cases), but the sheer volume is way out of control. I'm not anti-imigration (legally of course) or xenophobic at all, but sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't do like a lottery system for overseas visitors (and reservations for US citizens). It's gotten that bad....
early
Fantasy
2139th
6/14/2022 4:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 5:50pm
More people getting outside in the parks is a net benefit. Public lands have been underfunded for a long time and alot of infrastructure needs updated for increased modern traffic, Yellowstone will hopefully get some upgrades after this disaster.

Damn check out this video these people are lucky!!!!
peltier626
6/15/2022 11:14am
Well, speaking of the overly touristy crowd, I'm guilty. We have a bucket trip planned in July to Yellowstone. Hope everyone is safe and the extent of the damage has subsided. I for one know first hand the damage of mother nature when she's angry. Hurricane's hit us far to frequently and Ida ran right over our town. As far as overcrowding, not sure what the solution is but we as a family are stewards of the land and ultimately respect the earth but do feel the wonder of the parks are meant to be shared. It's a delicate balance.
SEEMEFIRST
6/16/2022 4:20am
Doesn't look good for your July trip.
They're still evacuating people.
Joey_Bridges
6/16/2022 4:38am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Doesn't look good for your July trip.
They're still evacuating people.
Indefinite closure, is what they're saying.

Going to be tough on local economies that have grown around the area.
peltier626
6/16/2022 6:42am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 9:16am
Maybe I should have used "had" a bucket trip. I know they are still accessing the situation but everything seems to be north of Yellowstone from what I gather. We will wait a week or so then make a decision. Mother nature wins always.
plowboy
6/16/2022 7:29am
Only been to Yellowstone once. Early July 1989. Park was full so we had to camp along the river on the road to Cody the first night. When you see full size trees roaring down the river...it's easy to believe how flood conditions could wreak havoc. Awesome place but too many people for me...even back then. Side note...my national "camping" trip involved more motels than I expected because most sites were full...even on the military bases.
LungButter
6/16/2022 8:07am
peltier626 wrote:
Maybe I should have used "had" a bucket trip. I know they are still accessing the situation but everything seems to be north of Yellowstone from...
Maybe I should have used "had" a bucket trip. I know they are still accessing the situation but everything seems to be north of Yellowstone from what I gather. We will wait a week or so then make a decision. Mother nature wins always.
The video showing all the washouts in the road is the North Entrance Road to the park.

That big house going into the river and floating away was employee housing for park employees.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them not re-open any of the park this Summer.
early
Fantasy
2139th
6/16/2022 8:48am
Account from a park employee, this situation is a big deal, I wouldn't look for the park to be open this summer at all.

Post a reply to: Yellowstone Flooding

The Latest