X-ray opinions

Related:
Create New Tag

1/9/2021 8:52 AM

I know this isn’t a medical site, but also know there are several members here in the medical field. Plus lots of you have been broken and put back together with varying results. So here’s where I’m at on this femur break. I have Kaiser insurance but the surgery was done at a non Kaiser facility. I had my follow up ortho appt Thursday with a Kaiser ortho. I knew by the look on his face and his answers he wasn’t impressed but he also knew not to throw anyone under the bus. The broken piece is pretty obviously not “between” the top and bottom bones, the floating piece appears to be barely held in place with the tip of one screw, and that leg is easily a half inch shorter from the hip to knee. He said there is a 50/50 chance of having to go back in and redo it. He wants me to wait 4 weeks to see if the bones are starting to bridge the gap. I’m going to call Monday and say I want it redone right ASAP. “50/50” chance of healing with a 100% chance of a shorter leg doesn’t seem like much of an option to me. Anyone have a repair like this heal ? He said it’s not a good time with covid and the hospitals overwhelmed, obvious surgery risks etc etc. But I feel like I need to push to have it right sooner than later. What would you do ? Wait the 4 weeks and hope it’s healing and not worry about the leg length discrepancy or say fuck it make it right now even though that requires another surgery and an unpleasant bone graft. I fee like all the pt I’m doing to get it to heal is like polishing a turd, what’s the point ? Anyway what would you do ? Photo

|

1/9/2021 9:10 AM

They need to make it right instead of crossing their fingers and hoping for the best. I know in a previous post you mentioned it was rushed. It looks like it was just that. Rushed.

|

1/9/2021 9:56 AM

Chance1216 wrote:

They need to make it right instead of crossing their fingers and hoping for the best. I know in a previous post you mentioned it was rushed. It looks like it was just that. Rushed.

Thats what I’m thinking. At least the pelvis and left leg will be stronger and theoretically should be easier than what I just ent through. Unless the bone graft comes off the left leg I guess. Ive never had one but I hear a bone graft hurts more than the part they’re fixing....

|

1/9/2021 10:23 AM

He also said right now it’s a race between the bones growing together vs the screws coming loose. Never time to do it right always time to bo it over

|

1/9/2021 10:23 AM

Chance1216 wrote:

sumdood wrote:

Thats what I’m thinking. At least the pelvis and left leg will be stronger and theoretically should be easier than what I just ent through. Unless the bone graft comes off the left leg I guess. Ive never had one but I hear a bone graft hurts more than the part they’re fixing....

I fractured my medial malleolus (ankle) many years ago. It didn’t set right. They had to go back in, re-break it, add extra pins and a plate. Wasn’t done right the first time.

I’m sorry your having to deal with this. Pain and recovery, only to start looking at options when it should’ve been done right the first time. I don’t think Covid should be an excuse to say,
“ one leg is shorter then the other but, you’ll be fine”.
You honestly shouldn’t be dealing with this.

|

1/9/2021 11:28 AM

That is displaced by a great amount not a little bit. If your legs are not symmetrical you'll end up with greater hip issues later in life.

Fix it Bill.
Get a lawyer, second surgery shouldn't cost you a dime.

|

1/9/2021 12:08 PM

Yeah, that's f'd up. I didn't know Stevie Wonder was also an Ortho surgeon.

I had a very similar break to my left femur. My Doc plated the floater piece in on both sides and a rod was placed inside the femur from the hip to the knee.

Even with that my leg ended up being slightly shorter than the right leg.

I'd get it fixed correctly asap. If it heals improperly and has to be re-broken at some point it is going to be much worse for you.

Best of luck dood.

|

1/9/2021 2:33 PM

Thanks for confirming what I pretty much knew.

|

1/9/2021 2:52 PM

Message sent. We’ll see what answer I get

|

1/9/2021 5:06 PM

Damn Dood that is really scary. Hope you get it sorted out sooner than later bud. Sucks you have to go through this all over again, keep your head up!

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

1/9/2021 6:20 PM

ocscottie wrote:

Damn Dood that is really scary. Hope you get it sorted out sooner than later bud. Sucks you have to go through this all over again, keep your head up!

Thanks I appreciate it. Trying to think long run. Not sure what the time frame will be, I’m still on blood thinners so I’m sure it won’t be right away but hopefully before a month goes by. We shall see......

|

1/9/2021 6:29 PM

Broke my femur through the growth plate when I was 14, closing down that growth plate. They actually ended up shutting off the growth plates in both legs so my broken leg wouldn't be an inch+ shorter. The alternative was to wait till I was done growing and get a spacer put in. I elected for the growth plate surgery so I could keep playing sports.

Thank god I did, I've heard the other option is a miserable recovery. I know this is a different situation than yours but my doc was awesome and we did it right the first time around and with both follow up surgeries to add/remove metal. Needless to say I'm a few inches shorter than I could have been. Oh well.

Knees, ankles, hips, lower back all hurt all the time now, but I think its way better than what it could have been if I took the second option.

Best of luck to you, hope they make it right and you heal quickly. Keep grinding through PT now and after next surgery, it sucks but its 10000000% necessary.

|

1/9/2021 7:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2021 7:52 PM

I will gamble that getting it fixed asap will save you lots of pain and misery for the next 2 or three decades. I had a bad surgeon “ruin” my wrist 15 years ago. It hurts always. There is a large part of me that would like to find that surgeon and do very mean things to him. Aaaah. Not worth it. Get it fixed.

|

1/10/2021 6:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/10/2021 6:58 PM

My dad went through similar situation. Rod, wasn’t right. Another surgeon at metro health in Cleveland Ohio took the case and fixed it.

Man you’re going through a tough spot.

Mean that’s tough call. You’re more than welcome to go get a Kaiser opinion....see what they want to do. No easy answer for this unfortunately.

|

GP740
Since 1987

1/10/2021 8:39 PM

They think that’s fixed?

|

Lover. Fighter. Wild Bull Rider.

1/10/2021 8:52 PM

At the very least, get another opinion. My own personal angle would be to get it fixed correctly, rather than "waiting to see," but you never know what else the doctor is considering. They many have done the best they could given the circumstances of your injury.
No matter what happens, good luck. We're praying for you.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/13/2021 7:54 PM

I am a dentist and whenever I hope something will work out or "lets wait and see" the overwhelming majority of the time it doesnt work out. If that was my leg I would eat my shit sandwich and go in one more time to have it done correctly. It's a pain in the ass for everyone now to save a potential major future pain in the ass

|

1/14/2021 12:41 PM

The Kaiser orthopedic surgeon called this morning. He and his peers were not impressed. He said not only was the displaced piece not in the correct place and floating there, they also used the wrong screws. So week after next I’m scheduled to go back in and get the femur redone. The game plan is yank out all the hardware that’s there, reposition the loose piece back between the top and bottom bones, take a bone graft from the pelvis and use the paste to fill-in any gaps, use a longer rod with thicker stronger screws, and add more cables around the post from the hip replacement. So I lost about six weeks worth of healing time at this end, but I should make it up at the other end because I’ll be able to start putting weight on it sooner, Plus it’ll be nice to have each day closer to recovery rather than each day closer to another surgery.

|

1/14/2021 1:36 PM

That truly is the only real opption. I didn't want to bum you out too much but those screws look like they're barely touching the displaced piece much less stabilizing it.

It's gonna suck but the end result is looking much better. Tell your wife all of us motoheads thank her for takin such good care of you. 👍😉

|

1/14/2021 3:59 PM

sumdood wrote:

The Kaiser orthopedic surgeon called this morning. He and his peers were not impressed. He said not only was the displaced piece not in the correct place and floating there, they also used the wrong screws. So week after next I’m scheduled to go back in and get the femur redone. The game plan is yank out all the hardware that’s there, reposition the loose piece back between the top and bottom bones, take a bone graft from the pelvis and use the paste to fill-in any gaps, use a longer rod with thicker stronger screws, and add more cables around the post from the hip replacement. So I lost about six weeks worth of healing time at this end, but I should make it up at the other end because I’ll be able to start putting weight on it sooner, Plus it’ll be nice to have each day closer to recovery rather than each day closer to another surgery.

Glad to hear you are getting it fixed correctly.

Make sure they really pay attention to the healed length being equal to your other leg. As I mentioned above about my broken femur, it healed shorter than the other and I have ever since had lower back issues from walking/standing with my pelvis not being squared up. Wear the left heel off my shoes at a faster rate also.

I am supposed to be wearing a lift in that shoe to offset the length difference, but after a while of doing it gave up on it so that issue is on me.

Good luck with the surgery dood!

|

1/14/2021 3:59 PM

KMC440 wrote:

That truly is the only real opption. I didn't want to bum you out too much but those screws look like they're barely touching the displaced piece much less stabilizing it.

It's gonna suck but the end result is looking much better. Tell your wife all of us motoheads thank her for takin such good care of you. 👍😉

Oh yeah trust me I looked at that, not only is the piece nowhere near being between the other bones it does look like it’s floating, maybe, maaaaybeee The very tip of the one screw is into the loose piece. I will also let my wife Sue know that she gets the Vital MX dirtbikervseal of approval 😂👍. She’s made it pretty clear I owe her a tropical vacation, which I will be more than happy to oblige her with haha. She’s also looking forward to getting back on the dual sports 😎

|

1/14/2021 4:03 PM

sumdood wrote:

Shit like that usually only happens on July 1st (when the new residents start in the OR) everybody gotta learn....silly

|

GP740
Since 1987

1/15/2021 2:07 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Shit like that usually only happens on July 1st (when the new residents start in the OR) everybody gotta learn....silly

I guess someone graduated early laughing

|

1/17/2021 2:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2021 2:08 AM

Found another angle. (Bottom pic)This one shows the gap better and also that the leg was (is) crooked. Glad they’re redoing it I felt it click and move today. It was a little un-nerving to say the least.

Photo
Photo

|

1/17/2021 4:20 AM

Bill, i hope it goes swimmingly from this point onward. looking at the bottom picture only one thing comes to my mind.

|

the ultimate MX renegade from the east shore of the big cold pond

1/17/2021 11:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2021 12:03 PM

That’s not fixing itself. I think they’re gonna have to take all that out. That last picture just shows nothing is Lined up even with the plate that is securely in place.

Do they have any intra-op films they shot so you can compare immediate post operative to these new films?

Could of very well been all lined up and movement in the first few days the screws just didn’t grab and pulled out....

|

GP740
Since 1987

1/17/2021 12:26 PM

Ffs...I usually look at x-rays and can't see shit when the doc says, "here's the problem". If I can see that's a complete fail then I'm sure a decent doc can fix you up. Sorry that you have to go through this though.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

1/17/2021 4:18 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

That’s not fixing itself. I think they’re gonna have to take all that out. That last picture just shows nothing is Lined up even with the plate that is securely in place.

Do they have any intra-op films they shot so you can compare immediate post operative to these new films?

Could of very well been all lined up and movement in the first few days the screws just didn’t grab and pulled out....

Yeah they’re starting over. Next week I do more x-rays and pre-op appts. The surgery is scheduled the following week.

|

1/18/2021 6:29 PM

sumdood wrote:

Yeah they’re starting over. Next week I do more x-rays and pre-op appts. The surgery is scheduled the following week.

Good to hear! Thoughts and prayers be with you.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

1/19/2021 2:02 AM

ocscottie wrote:

Good to hear! Thoughts and prayers be with you.

Thanks ocscottie ! I’ll post the revised x-rays when I can. Pre op is Thursday, revision next week. 👍

|