Would you go see "Rush" play with a different drummer?

NorCal 50+
11/30/2018 12:09am
Huge Portnoy fan here- back in '97 I was doing some local music journalism and found myself backstage with MP, doing an interview on the Falling Into Infinity tour. I was a massive DT fan at the time so I was pretty awestruck. We're sitting there talking in this shitty trailer and Pettruci and James Labrie walk in. They are all joking around like normal musician dudes. They wanted some chicken sandwiches from Wendy's so I ran across the street and picked up some food. This was before the show. When I come back Myung had shown up looking pissed off and everybody was quiet and serious. Even back then there was strain behind the scenes.
NorCal 50+
12/2/2018 10:14pm
I thought of this thread when I was watching this vid tonight- the DT drummer audition video. It really conveys what is required to produce this kind of music- it's beyond technique. It's transcendent the way Roger DeCoster or any of your favorite moto-heroes transcend jumps and turns into an art form. I think we call it
"passion.". Grinning Mangini is awesome.

https://youtu.be/1tZ-go2CXqo
Talisker
12/3/2018 8:09am Edited Date/Time 12/3/2018 9:06am
No, i would not. Saw rush in 95 in New Orleans at UNO for the Roll the Bones Tour. They played all 20 minutes of 2112 to the T. Some bands you can get away with replacing band members or sometimes the lead singer. Some bands you can't. Rush is one of those bands you cannot replace any member in my opinion. Growing up my father was a drummer in all the best bands and owned a recording studio. He is currently a one stop shop for anything media/audio/video related. Check them out if you get a chance, Holbrook Multimedia in Lafayette La. Not to mention the newer generation drummers dont have the same fundamentals as the older guys in my opinion.
12/3/2018 9:28am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Huge Portnoy fan here- back in '97 I was doing some local music journalism and found myself backstage with MP, doing an interview on the Falling...
Huge Portnoy fan here- back in '97 I was doing some local music journalism and found myself backstage with MP, doing an interview on the Falling Into Infinity tour. I was a massive DT fan at the time so I was pretty awestruck. We're sitting there talking in this shitty trailer and Pettruci and James Labrie walk in. They are all joking around like normal musician dudes. They wanted some chicken sandwiches from Wendy's so I ran across the street and picked up some food. This was before the show. When I come back Myung had shown up looking pissed off and everybody was quiet and serious. Even back then there was strain behind the scenes.
Wow. What an experience. Thanks for sharing.

I never realized how important Mike Portnoy was to Dream Theater, both musically and creatively speaking, until he left. Though Mangini is an absolutely superb drummer by any measure, DT's work has lacked that certain "something" since Portnoy left. The band has always been technical, but the "feel" just isn't there anymore. Portnoy's drumming has a passion and swing that no other modern drummer on his technical level can match. He knows when to go all out, and when to hold back. He has an incredible intuition for what a song requires at any given point, and that is something that just cannot be taught.

The Shop

NorCal 50+
12/3/2018 9:59am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Huge Portnoy fan here- back in '97 I was doing some local music journalism and found myself backstage with MP, doing an interview on the Falling...
Wow. What an experience. Thanks for sharing. I never realized how important Mike Portnoy was to Dream Theater, both musically and creatively speaking, until he left...
Wow. What an experience. Thanks for sharing.

I never realized how important Mike Portnoy was to Dream Theater, both musically and creatively speaking, until he left. Though Mangini is an absolutely superb drummer by any measure, DT's work has lacked that certain "something" since Portnoy left. The band has always been technical, but the "feel" just isn't there anymore. Portnoy's drumming has a passion and swing that no other modern drummer on his technical level can match. He knows when to go all out, and when to hold back. He has an incredible intuition for what a song requires at any given point, and that is something that just cannot be taught.
Yep- agreed. The last DT album I bought was the first one with Mangini. After that I kind of lost interest. He's amazingly technical but almost a little bit too much. MP was insanely good. I still think watching Scenes from a Memory live is a club was the greatest rock show I have seen, except for maybe Rush in fifth row on their last tour.
The most jaw dropping Portnoy performance is Glass Prison in my mind. Ridiculous.

Post a reply to: Would you go see "Rush" play with a different drummer?

The Latest