Would you go see "Rush" play with a different drummer?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/26/2018 10:20 AM

Very interesting:

"Geddy Lee recently spoke to Rolling Stone’s Ryan Reed about the new reissue of Rush’s 1978 LP Hemispheres, and at the end he casually mentioned that the band may find a way to continue on after Neil Peart’s retirement. “I would say there’s no chance of seeing Rush on tour again as Alex, Geddy, Neil,” he said. “But would you see one of us or two of us or three of us? That’s possible.”

Being a drummer, I mostly go to the shows to see Peart. Imagine the pressure of perfectly replicating some of the most difficult drum parts in the history of rock and roll, with millions of Rush fans dissecting every move.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

11/26/2018 11:01 AM

Photo
|

11/26/2018 11:06 AM

All thru childhood I thought Rush had a female vocalist. Even seeing pics and music videos, I thought Geddy Lee was a chick. Am I the only one?

|

11/26/2018 11:11 AM

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Neil is too badass!

|

11/26/2018 11:58 AM

Yes. Saw them in 1977 on the "Closer to the Heart" tour. If they play pre Permanent Waves material then I am IN!!!

|

11/26/2018 12:05 PM

I would. They're not going to embarrass themselves....I'm sure they'll find a worthy replacement should they decide to go forward with this.

|

11/26/2018 12:23 PM

No. I have been fortunate to see them 3 times in my life. I count my lucky stars. Rush should not go on with a different drummer.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

11/26/2018 12:43 PM

I will add that when John Bonham died I thought Led Zeppelin could have gone on with a different drummer. I would have gone to see them with a different drummer.

But Rush. No I would not see them with a different drummer.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

11/26/2018 1:59 PM

I'd be more interested to hear what Geddy and Alex could do with someone else in terms of new originals.
Marco Minneman posted on his Facebok that he's been playing with Lifeson. Lifeson made a solo album called "Victor" that was really good.
Minneman is no joke:

|

11/26/2018 2:59 PM

I'd see Lee and Lifeson, for sure. But nobody in that audience would be seeing "Rush."

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/26/2018 4:07 PM

No.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

11/26/2018 5:41 PM

|

Nick
-2015 Grom grocery getter
-2011 Road King Classic
-2010 WR250X supermoto

11/26/2018 6:55 PM

I guess it would depends who it would be...I would if it was terry bozzio, Richard Christy, chad wackerman, Kenny Earl Edwards, Marco Minneman,etc,etc,etc... aw man theres a lot who could fill his shoes. but ya,,peart is the man

|

scte3.0 pro-line trinity tekin

11/26/2018 9:58 PM

Spurdo wrote:

All thru childhood I thought Rush had a female vocalist. Even seeing pics and music videos, I thought Geddy Lee was a chick. ...more

I literary didn't know that until I randomly came across a live performance of their's a few years back on youtube, while watching a Beastie Boys vid that used the beginning of Tom Sawyer.

|

11/27/2018 7:38 AM

Neil Peart seems like an ass in all of the interviews I've seen.

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

11/27/2018 8:09 AM

NO..... just glad I was able to see them live.

|

2020 KTM 350 SXF

11/27/2018 10:59 AM

I saw Rush. I was camping at the Vet World Championships at Glen Helen about 20 years ago when I heard an advertisement on the radio for the concert at the Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavillion (that there name will date this story) that same night! After a 15 minute walk to the venue, a security guard let us in through a side gate and we stood on the lawn. Fucking awesome! Those 70's and 80's bands that are still around....are around for a reason! They've perfected their art over all that time, and if you liked them then....they're usually just as good or better now. No doubt Peart is one of the greatest drummers ever...right up there with Bonzo and Moonie! With that being said, I heard a so cal DJ's son (Matthew Thompson) que up a Rush song with everything but the drums. This kid played the drums live to the other band members recording and he nailed it! If you liked Rush then....there's no reason not to see them with another drummer. I think Alex and Getty realize the importance of who they choose as a replacement. They're not going to replace him with some schmuck..

|

11/27/2018 3:43 PM

It's possible. Remember, Steve Via replaced Eddy. Of course Steve says "You never replace Eddy", but he is pretty humble.

|

11/27/2018 3:51 PM

motosmith wrote:

Here are a few great examples of that.

|

11/27/2018 3:52 PM

|

11/27/2018 3:52 PM

|

11/27/2018 3:53 PM

|

11/27/2018 5:13 PM

motosmith wrote:

??

Eloquent, moderate, intensely private and unlucky enough to have lived through the death of his daughter and his wife, yeah. I never quite thought of him as an ass though. unsure

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/27/2018 5:27 PM

there is a drummer out there somewhere that is as good as Neil ........just have to find him and not expect him to sound just like Neil did.....

I've found in my journeys that as good as you think you are, or someone else is........... It doesn't take long to find someone that is better.......

|

11/27/2018 8:49 PM

motosmith wrote:

Falcon wrote:

??

Eloquent, moderate, intensely private and unlucky enough to have lived through the death of his daughter and his wife, ...more

Thats why I posted those interviews. Threw in the dinner just because it's funny.

|

11/27/2018 8:51 PM

MP could do it. He would be thrilled.

|

11/27/2018 9:50 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

I saw Rush. I was camping at the Vet World Championships at Glen Helen about 20 years ago when I heard an advertisement on the ...more

Test for Echoes tour they played 2112 in its entirety. No opening act. That show was awesome.

|

11/27/2018 11:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/27/2018 11:12 PM

The thing about Neil- many can replicate his drum parts (but most not perfectly) and who could dream this shit up in the first place? Not to mention coming up with the lyrics and concepts for Rush The man is an icon. And Geddy and Alex are so badass I would probably show up to see whatever they have going on.
I first saw Rush in '84 and the last time was 2015 or so- I have never been disappointed seeing them live.

|

11/27/2018 11:41 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

The thing about Neil- many can replicate his drum parts (but most not perfectly) and who could dream this shit up in the first ...more

That is the elephant in the room.

|

11/28/2018 6:54 AM

Not sure Alex will be there either....
Photo

|

"A rule is a rule and without rules, there is Chaos"....Cosmo Kramer