Words You Can Never Spell

Related:
Create New Tag

1/3/2018 5:24 PM

There are certain words that I can never spell, not if my life depended on it. I mean I can’t even get the spelling close enough so spell checker suggests the correct spelling. My number one word I can never spell is,

“Restraunt”

You know, those places where you go for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. People take your food order and bring you food, and you pay for it.

Restaurant

The correct spelling of this word is pretty F’ed up to begin with. Google finally helped me get the spelling right. Google works better that MS Word spell check because it anticipates the word you are trying to type.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

1/3/2018 5:36 PM

"Beleive" gets me every time. I dont know if its just how i hit the keys or what, but i can never get that "i" in the right place.

"...because it anticipates the word you are trying to type."

Texting so much has really eroded my computer typing skills because of auto fill. I kinda suck at typing, cant not look at the keys, even after all these years.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

1/3/2018 5:41 PM

I actually phonetically say words like restaurant and Wednesday to myself while I type them (i.e, res•tau•rant and Wed•nes•day). And I put emphasis on the part that always screws me up ('tau' and 'nes').

The single word that gets me most of the time if 'the.' Such a simple word, but for some reason, my fingers always think it's spelled teh. Nine times out of ten, when I see that stupid little red line under a word, it's under 'teh.'

|

1/3/2018 5:56 PM

I am a pretty good "speller" ( I too think wed-nes-day everytime I type it. Feb-ru-ary also) but I have some pet peeves about other people and their spelling and misuse of common words:

loose for lose (looser for loser as well)

Their - there - they're

Your - you're

breath - breathe

|

1/3/2018 6:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2018 6:10 PM

Op, that ones gets me every time and I consider myself an expert speller. I can spell words, or get very close to words I have never heard before. I think this skill set was developed because early on in elementary school I was a terrible speller. I had a few teachers early who really helped be understand how words sound.

Something that still gets me is I get confused on when to use “effect” vs “affect”. I’ll even look it up on google and I still sometimes don’t know which one I should be using in a sentence. This one isn’t as difficult but “insure” vs “ensure”.

Probably some others like that. Drives me crazy sometimes.

|

1/3/2018 6:09 PM

This one also gives me fits.

Amateur

I just can’t remember it. And I spell it in ways auto correct can’t pick it up.

|

1/3/2018 6:11 PM

Wednesday ,i always seem to fuck it up , yes i used auto correct .laughing

|

1/3/2018 6:13 PM

I won the third grade spelling bee. Encyclopedia....bitches!

Of course the Brits here are laughing their asses off.wink

|

1/3/2018 6:16 PM

newmann wrote:

I won the third grade spelling bee. Encyclopedia....bitches!

Of course the Brits here are laughing their asses off.wink

Of course the Brits here are laughing their arses off.

Fixed it for you! wink

|

1/3/2018 6:17 PM

Scissors...I had to look it up to post this

|

scte3.0 pro-line trinity tekin

1/3/2018 6:25 PM

The English language is considered by many to be the hardest to spell. A lot of our words are spelled differently then they sound or are prounced.

And we also have a lot of homonyms. Words spelled the same but have different meanings.

We also have a fair amount of homographs. Words spelled the same but prounced differently with different meanings.

Interesting stuff!!

|

1/3/2018 6:45 PM

I used to always spell definitely wrong until one of my eighth grade classmates corrected me on AOL instant messenger. Never again.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

1/3/2018 6:50 PM

TXDirt wrote:

The English language is considered by many to be the hardest to spell. A lot of our words are spelled differently then they sound or are prounced.

And we also have a lot of homonyms. Words spelled the same but have different meanings.

We also have a fair amount of homographs. Words spelled the same but prounced differently with different meanings.

Interesting stuff!!

" I consider myself an expert speller"

"than" they sound... just saying
|

1/3/2018 7:00 PM

TXDirt wrote:

Interesting stuff!!

gabrielito wrote: " I consider myself an expert speller"

"than" they sound... just saying

My tiny phone prevents perfection!

|

1/3/2018 7:54 PM

It’s funny that you brought this up. I know I have some some words that I struggle with, but for some reason I can’t think of them at the moment. There was even one at work today and thought to myself “damn it Jake you know better” haha. I guess they are random for me.

Oh Newman, 3rd grade spelling bee winner myself...ribbon and all... not saying much coming from east TN public schoolz educatioumon

|

1/3/2018 8:13 PM

Phoontang

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

1/3/2018 8:17 PM

I always thought it was spelled "Poontang".

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

1/3/2018 8:18 PM

Motorcross........

|

1/3/2018 8:19 PM

Is it? I always thought it was called virgina

|

1/3/2018 8:23 PM

Maybe that's why I always got a slap in the face, wasn't prunouncing it rite ether.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

1/3/2018 10:59 PM

ocscottie wrote:

"Beleive" gets me every time. I dont know if its just how i hit the keys or what, but i can never get that "i" in the right place.

Texting so much has really eroded my computer typing skills because of auto fill. I kinda suck at typing, cant not look at the keys, even after all these years.

I before E except after C...laughing

Hope you are well my brother.wink

|

1/3/2018 11:17 PM

Ezza that's just weird ...

|

1/4/2018 12:08 AM

KMC440 wrote:

Ezza that's just weird ...

It's whatever you perceive it to be.laughing Not bad for a Homskoolar ay.

|

1/4/2018 3:34 AM

Freind = friend

|

1/4/2018 4:44 AM

Besides restaurant...seems like “maintenance” is another word that gets me..

I spell restaurant so bad spell check recognizes it as restraint ..

|

1/4/2018 5:11 AM

You guy's are Lucky!

Try being a little dyslexic, a mild case of ADD too & having a attention span of a Nat.

Now being 60+ with a few BIG crashes & being knocked out a few times. I know to proof read my postings.

But some of the harder medical words are easy for me, You figure that one out??

|

00' BMW K1200 RS
83' Maico 490 ( The Project bike)
81' Maico 490- FOR SALE
03' KTM 525 SX (In ICU)
14.5 KTM 450 Fe- FOR SALE

1/4/2018 5:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/4/2018 5:47 AM

After you hit yer knoggen did you ever speak fluent Portuguese? I knew someone at an account I had that did. Believe it or not he was a touch different.

Surprise was one word that always gets me.

|

1/4/2018 6:56 AM

ocscottie wrote:

EZZA 95B wrote:

I before E except after C...laughing

Hope you are well my brother.wink

. . . or when it sounds like "ay", as in "neighbor" and "weigh"

|

1/4/2018 8:08 AM

Some things you see all the time. The difference between knowing "your" shit and knowing "you're" shit. Defiantly instead of definitely. Moran instead of Moron. Striping instead of stripping. Many others.

I've always been a better than average speller and resist the urge most times to correct what seems to be endemic. Having said that, if a word is used incorrectly or invented and used frequently enough, it eventually becomes part of the vernacular and then makes it into the Oxford English volumes and becomes part of the language.

|

1/4/2018 8:52 AM

Foghorn wrote:

Some things you see all the time. The difference between knowing "your" shit and knowing "you're" shit. Defiantly instead of definitely. Moran instead of Moron. Striping instead of stripping. Many others.

I've always been a better than average speller and resist the urge most times to correct what seems to be endemic. Having said that, if a word is used incorrectly or invented and used frequently enough, it eventually becomes part of the vernacular and then makes it into the Oxford English volumes and becomes part of the language.

If "irregardless" ever makes it in, I'll shoot a dictionary.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.