Woman killed by selfdrive car.

borg
Edited Date/Time 3/20/2018 3:38pm
|
MR. X
3/19/2018 11:12am
I don't why they let those POS on the road already ,obviously the technology isn't done yet.
XXVoid MainXX
3/19/2018 11:13am
This will be an interesting story to follow. I believe the person behind the wheel is as much responsible for anything that happens just as if it were not an autonomous vehicle. They must not have been paying attention and didn't take over.
3/19/2018 11:13am
the first of many to come....keep your eyes peeled more than ever when you are a pedestrian these days. It's becoming like frogger out there with all these smartphone users and self driving cars on the road.
3/19/2018 11:14am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2018 11:20am
Yea saw that.

Now I did hear a report she wasn’t in a cross walk. Wonder if Uber had a legal leg to stand on for that.

Also was the driver behind the wheel complacent or did the car not respond to the drivers controls ?

They do have drivers behind the wheel.

Robots are great, but still algorithms have flaws. Just like human being judgement....can’t say I’d ever get into a self driving car that is on public roadways.

Also google used to have self driving cars did they scrap that ?

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/19/2018 11:56am
Georgie, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it for me: I will NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ride in an autonomous vehicle. I've seen my computer crash too many times to risk having the same thing happen while it's speeding me to work. F THAT!!!

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/19/2018 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2018 12:16pm
How many people were killed yesterday by idiots driving their cars? I’ll take the odds of a self driving car everyday over the fucking numbnuts they get behind the wheel every day.

This lady walked into traffic outside of a crosswalk....you are not going to see positive results from those actions. There are pedestrians killed all the time for doing stupid stuff.
easydoesit
3/19/2018 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2018 12:26pm
KennyT wrote:
How many people were killed yesterday by idiots driving their cars? I’ll take the odds of a self driving car everyday over the fucking numbnuts they...
How many people were killed yesterday by idiots driving their cars? I’ll take the odds of a self driving car everyday over the fucking numbnuts they get behind the wheel every day.

This lady walked into traffic outside of a crosswalk....you are not going to see positive results from those actions. There are pedestrians killed all the time for doing stupid stuff.
100% agree. The system might not be perfect, but it is better than the alternative.

This is the first death and I don't believe there had been any major injuries prior. This in a time span of 5 or so years...not bad.
TXDirt
3/19/2018 12:29pm
Falcon wrote:
Georgie, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it for me: I will NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ride in an autonomous vehicle. I've seen...
Georgie, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it for me: I will NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ride in an autonomous vehicle. I've seen my computer crash too many times to risk having the same thing happen while it's speeding me to work. F THAT!!!

Have you flown in an Airplane in the last 20 years? 90% of the flight is auto pilot. That doesn't seem to bother anyone.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/19/2018 12:29pm
KennyT wrote:
How many people were killed yesterday by idiots driving their cars? I’ll take the odds of a self driving car everyday over the fucking numbnuts they...

easydoesit wrote:
100% agree. The system might not be perfect, but it is better than the alternative. This is the first death and I don't believe there had...
100% agree. The system might not be perfect, but it is better than the alternative.

This is the first death and I don't believe there had been any major injuries prior. This in a time span of 5 or so years...not bad.
I have a SUV with adaptive speed control. It took about 1 minute to get used to it and now it’s on constantly in heavy traffic. Much safer having the computer doing my braking/accelerating and all I do is hang onto the steering wheel. Don’t get me wrong, I love sport driving but when you sre bumper to bumper it’s sure nice having the car doing all the thinking
MR. X
3/19/2018 1:09pm
KennyT wrote:

That's not an accurate argument ,of course more people were killed by conventional automobiles ,look at the ratio of conventional cars to the auto driving ones.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/19/2018 1:39pm
KennyT wrote:

MR. X wrote:
That's not an accurate argument ,of course more people were killed by conventional automobiles ,look at the ratio of conventional cars to the auto driving ones.
So are you under the assumption that automated vehicles are more dangerous on the roads than the literally thousands of intoxicated, elderly, or teens driving and texting, calling, eating, aggressive road rage, putting on eye shadow, blow jobbing, hobnobbing, and on and on?

Check the stats but I’m pretty sure the percentage of drivers that have some form of drug in them is in the 30% range....it’s disgusting
3/19/2018 1:43pm
Falcon wrote:
Georgie, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it for me: I will NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ride in an autonomous vehicle. I've seen...

TXDirt wrote:
Have you flown in an Airplane in the last 20 years? 90% of the flight is auto pilot. That doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Yea but the auto pilot ain’t landing the bitch. Or taking off....human does that.

Auto pilot didn’t land that 737 In the Potomac and save lives. THe captain Did. himans are awesome ! Lol. Think I’m gonna go binge watch “people are awesome” YouTube videos now.
3/19/2018 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2018 1:48pm
KennyT wrote:

MR. X wrote:
KennyT wrote:
So are you under the assumption that automated vehicles are more dangerous on the roads than the literally thousands of intoxicated, elderly, or teens driving and...
So are you under the assumption that automated vehicles are more dangerous on the roads than the literally thousands of intoxicated, elderly, or teens driving and texting, calling, eating, aggressive road rage, putting on eye shadow, blow jobbing, hobnobbing, and on and on?

Check the stats but I’m pretty sure the percentage of drivers that have some form of drug in them is in the 30% range....it’s disgusting
And what happens when the computer program goes into a fatal loop ? Or gets a virus through it’s wifi and Just decides it’s time to floor it. there have been cases where nerds have hacked into the autonomous systems and controlled the braking remotely.....and the throttle. That’s crazy !!!

Oh I should mention THose nerds were actually trying to do that and could only do it when they were within the blue tooth range. They weren’t trying to wreak havoc....One car had one test subject the other car had hackers. They all knew what they were doing. I gotta dig that article up I think I read it in motor trend waiting in an auto dealer.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
3/19/2018 1:50pm
What does the crosswalk issue have to do with anything? Is the neighborhood kid who chases a ball out into the street going to stay in the crosswalk?
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/19/2018 1:51pm
MR. X wrote:
KennyT wrote:
So are you under the assumption that automated vehicles are more dangerous on the roads than the literally thousands of intoxicated, elderly, or teens driving and...

And what happens when the computer program goes into a fatal loop ? Or gets a virus through it’s wifi and Just decides it’s time to...
And what happens when the computer program goes into a fatal loop ? Or gets a virus through it’s wifi and Just decides it’s time to floor it. there have been cases where nerds have hacked into the autonomous systems and controlled the braking remotely.....and the throttle. That’s crazy !!!

Oh I should mention THose nerds were actually trying to do that and could only do it when they were within the blue tooth range. They weren’t trying to wreak havoc....One car had one test subject the other car had hackers. They all knew what they were doing. I gotta dig that article up I think I read it in motor trend waiting in an auto dealer.
I will take my odds with a handful of nerds over the thousands of the others I mentioned above

Before these cars are commonplace I’m sure they will have dialed in the software to make it as safe as air travel, which is about as safe as it gets
MR. X
3/19/2018 2:59pm
KennyT wrote:

MR. X wrote:
KennyT wrote:

I didn't mean it that way , i come across many assholes during my drive to and from work ,it's actually my favorite word while driving . I agree that once the automated cars are perfected that should cut down on traffic accidents. I don't feel like they should be allowed to run where ever they want just yet. I've always said if they can drive 30 miles in a blinding snowstorm then they can drive anywhere .
XXVoid MainXX
3/19/2018 3:07pm
That's what the human behind the wheel is for. They're not allowed to run wherever they want without a human to monitor them. This appears to be as much a failure of the human as it was the autonomous vehicle.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/19/2018 3:45pm
You guys seem to forget that there will still be drunk, high, teenage, elderly, texting morons driving everywhere, even after widespread adoption of autonomous cars. I'm all for letting THOSE idiots get into them, but until driving oneself is illegal, autonomous cars won't fix that problem.

As for me, I will take advantage of having the tiniest bit of control over my own fate, and I will control the car I am riding in myself, for as long as I drive. That, or I'll ride in a car with someone I trust behind the wheel. If the scenario I alluded to above happens to come true in my lifetime and self-driving is outlawed, then I may be forced to make a decision I won't like at all.

I don't believe that AI will ever be able to make a last-ditch effort to survive a crash. Nor will it make a "best-case" decision, like crashing into a telephone pole instead of a schoolbus full of kids.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/19/2018 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2018 4:22pm
Hman144 wrote:
What does the crosswalk issue have to do with anything? Is the neighborhood kid who chases a ball out into the street going to stay in...
What does the crosswalk issue have to do with anything? Is the neighborhood kid who chases a ball out into the street going to stay in the crosswalk?
The crosswalk issue has everything to do with it. The lady was hit because she dangerously crossed a street where she wasn’t supposed to. That shits on the news daily here in So Cal.
A Self driving car is not why this woman was killed. You walk out into the street in front of a moving automobile and there’s a good chance you will die....that’s pretty obvious
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/19/2018 4:25pm
It's going to be increasingly tricky as vehicles start rolling out with no steering wheels. Looks like it won't be long and you're just going to...
It's going to be increasingly tricky as vehicles start rolling out with no steering wheels. Looks like it won't be long and you're just going to have to walk:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/12/16880978/gm-autonomous-car-2019-detr…
Yeah, not getting into that thing.
XXVoid MainXX
3/19/2018 4:53pm
I can't wait to be honest. Then I can text and nobody will yell at me for it.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/19/2018 5:17pm
My adaptive cruise control makes it much easier to load my bong
wreckitrandy
3/19/2018 8:17pm
This isn't the future I always dreamed of. On many levels.
3/20/2018 5:45am
KennyT wrote:
My adaptive cruise control makes it much easier to load my bong
Adaptive cruise and lane assist. You’re all set.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
3/20/2018 6:47am
Hman144 wrote:
What does the crosswalk issue have to do with anything? Is the neighborhood kid who chases a ball out into the street going to stay in...
KennyT wrote:
The crosswalk issue has everything to do with it. The lady was hit because she dangerously crossed a street where she wasn’t supposed to. That shits...
The crosswalk issue has everything to do with it. The lady was hit because she dangerously crossed a street where she wasn’t supposed to. That shits on the news daily here in So Cal.
A Self driving car is not why this woman was killed. You walk out into the street in front of a moving automobile and there’s a good chance you will die....that’s pretty obvious
So it she had popped off the sidewalk unexpectedly, but within a crosswalk, she would not have been hit?
XXVoid MainXX
3/20/2018 7:15am
In this case, both the car AND the human behind the wheel both were unable to avoid this accident. I have to believe if it were ONLY a human behind the wheel and no autonomous car in the mix, this accident was going to happen anyway, regardless of whether it was in a crosswalk or anywhere else. It's not really a lot different than a driver's ed instructor sitting in the passenger seat, with his 2nd set of controls, with a new driver at the wheel.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/20/2018 7:27am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2018 7:30am
Hman144 wrote:
KennyT wrote:
The crosswalk issue has everything to do with it. The lady was hit because she dangerously crossed a street where she wasn’t supposed to. That shits...
Hman144 wrote:
So it she had popped off the sidewalk unexpectedly, but within a crosswalk, she would not have been hit?
It’s really hard to say, I don’t know if the Uber vehicle has crosswalk detection. My point is if a person steps in front of a moving car on a road there is a very good chance of being hit.

I’m not sure how you proceed as a pedestrian but I would never start moving on a crosswalk without making visual contact with the driver and make sure they not only see me but they are slowing down. Otherwise it’s suicide. If I saw no driver at all I would be more likely to hold back. People can blame the car all they want but this death is 100% on the victim

Post a reply to: Woman killed by selfdrive car.

The Latest