Wild Horses

G-man
Edited Date/Time 8/26/2021 2:56pm
15 minutes from the casa is a National Forest and this: Woohoo

https://www.azcentral.com/picture-gallery/news/local/arizona/2020/03/16…

Dry, Dusty Desert with Tumbleweeds...Cheerful
|
Titan1
8/11/2021 2:30pm
They are an invasive species in the West...and beautiful invasive species...but an invasive species none-the-less.

But I will say this about them...Wild horse trails make some of the best [off-grid] single track trails. They are tall and wide enough to really move vegetation out of the way...And they tend to not scale straight up the sides of mountains (like deer and other trail forming wild animals)...

SEEMEFIRST
8/11/2021 4:38pm
Titan1 wrote:
They are an invasive species in the West...and beautiful invasive species...but an invasive species none-the-less. But I will say this about them...Wild horse trails make some...
They are an invasive species in the West...and beautiful invasive species...but an invasive species none-the-less.

But I will say this about them...Wild horse trails make some of the best [off-grid] single track trails. They are tall and wide enough to really move vegetation out of the way...And they tend to not scale straight up the sides of mountains (like deer and other trail forming wild animals)...

I think they are invasive anywhere in the U.S.

My feeble mind recalls the Europeans introduced them, Spaniards maybe? They introduced a lot of species here.

At least horses break off grass, and don't eat roots and all like goats and sheep. Same with cows.
JustMX
8/11/2021 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2021 4:47pm
I have never understood how people think they are environmentally friendly.

The amount of money that is spent on them by our government is just silly, especially when groups oppose any kind of efforts to control herd size through sterilization or culling herds.

Those people condemn more to die from starvation or lack of water.

Unintended consequences

Another is doing away with horse slaughter in the us, which results in animals being stuck on a truck to Canada or mexico, and it isn't a pleasant trip.
SEEMEFIRST
8/11/2021 4:59pm
JustMX wrote:
I have never understood how people think they are environmentally friendly. The amount of money that is spent on them by our government is just silly...

The amount of money that is spent on them by our government is just silly, especially when groups oppose any kind of efforts to control herd size through sterilization or culling herds.

Unintended consequences

Another is doing away with horse slaughter in the us, which results in animals being stuck on a truck to Canada or mexico, and it isn't a pleasant trip.
It's crazy, isn't it?
The wife of the guy I bought some show heifers from has/had maybe 20 wild horses.

All in different stages of training. Some will likely die wild, but they are well cared for.

She could hardly talk about what the government does to them without crying.

Tony wasn't all that excited about the added hay burners, but we married guys know why he puts up with it.

The Shop

8/11/2021 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2021 5:15pm
Are there wild horses on some outer banks islands in NC?
SEEMEFIRST
8/11/2021 5:28pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
Are there wild horses on some outer banks islands in NC?
You know that there ain't no such thing as a free horse, right?
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
8/12/2021 4:11pm
These two were hanging out by my house the other day….

rjg
8/15/2021 10:39am
Humans are an invasive species.
G-man
8/15/2021 1:39pm
rjg wrote:
Humans are an invasive species.
Couldn't have said it better imo.

I find it appalling and sad when an animal in the WILD attacks or even kills someone then they send out a posse to KILL the animal when it was THEIR TERRITORY in the first place! The human is invading.

I know I'll probably get all kinds of flack but an Animal like a mountain Lion, cougar etc are rare and disappearing at an ALARMING RATE on this planet.

But I'm an animal lover so that is the side I take.

Humans suck in general but why not just use a tranquizer gun and relocate the animal to another area why kill a beautiful creature is something I WILL NEVER GET.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
8/16/2021 11:09am
Gman- interesting take on things. How do you feel about euthanizing dogs that kill? For example, in my area recently, a woman was housesitting for a friend. The friend's 3 pits had at her at some point, and did her in.

The woman knew the dogs, and had no history of antagonizing behavior. The dogs had no adverse history either.

So what do you feel should have been done? Not looking to pick a fight- genuinely interested in your perspective given your statement on animals in the wild.

Thanks.
G-man
8/16/2021 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2021 4:37am
Hman144 wrote:
Gman- interesting take on things. How do you feel about euthanizing dogs that kill? For example, in my area recently, a woman was housesitting for a...
Gman- interesting take on things. How do you feel about euthanizing dogs that kill? For example, in my area recently, a woman was housesitting for a friend. The friend's 3 pits had at her at some point, and did her in.

The woman knew the dogs, and had no history of antagonizing behavior. The dogs had no adverse history either.

So what do you feel should have been done? Not looking to pick a fight- genuinely interested in your perspective given your statement on animals in the wild.

Thanks.
Hman,

That is a very unfortunate incident and a tough question to answer and no answer will be good.

But we all know Pitbulls don't have the best reputation for stuff like this and I don't think three in a home ( where they can have a dangerous pack mentality) with a pet sitter is in its natural environment like a mountain Lion in the wild.

While I don't agree with Euthanasia I'm not sure what other options there are.
It's not like they can relocate in the forest like a mountain Lion.
captmoto
8/23/2021 9:57am
G-man wrote:
Couldn't have said it better imo. I find it appalling and sad when an animal in the WILD attacks or even kills someone then they send...
Couldn't have said it better imo.

I find it appalling and sad when an animal in the WILD attacks or even kills someone then they send out a posse to KILL the animal when it was THEIR TERRITORY in the first place! The human is invading.

I know I'll probably get all kinds of flack but an Animal like a mountain Lion, cougar etc are rare and disappearing at an ALARMING RATE on this planet.

But I'm an animal lover so that is the side I take.

Humans suck in general but why not just use a tranquizer gun and relocate the animal to another area why kill a beautiful creature is something I WILL NEVER GET.
Mountain lions attacking humans becomes a learned behavior. This was a while back but it show the predatory nature of these cats. The man killed in this article worked for Clear Channel I think in and was here for the California rounds of Supercross. attacks on humans here in Calif aren't that rare. Not as rare as I would like them to be. A mile from where I live a lion was preying on dogs for a couple weeks.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Mountain-lion-attacks-kill-1-injure…

About the time this happened I was on a big brush fire and several cat tracks were found where hand crews were working. The daily safety message included these reports and was a watch out point.
Lions also kill just to kill. This was seen in Malibu where a woman lost 5 llamas over a couple night to 1 lion.
Since California decided to protect lions the deer herd has shrunk dramatically. Add in drought and wild land fires and the future of the deer population is really shaky.
The last state study I saw estimated that the lion numbers were going up in certain parts of the state.
They're not as rare and shrinking as you think.
G-man
8/23/2021 11:29am
Yes I remember the Clear Channel guy who was killed and yes it was very tragic.

But nothing is going to change my mind on who the REAL intruders are.

OldPro277
8/23/2021 11:36am
Brad460 wrote:
These two were hanging out by my house the other day…. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/08/12/505398/s1200_01684C32_FBDC_4E77_9244_E4D1B6FA9F91.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/08/12/505399/s1200_9BF825BA_B6BC_4460_872D_79C3D4BD02D2.jpg[/img]

Odd, here's our 2 , lol
8/23/2021 6:55pm
Brad460 wrote:
These two were hanging out by my house the other day…. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/08/12/505398/s1200_01684C32_FBDC_4E77_9244_E4D1B6FA9F91.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/08/12/505399/s1200_9BF825BA_B6BC_4460_872D_79C3D4BD02D2.jpg[/img]

Beuatiful horses!!!
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
8/25/2021 5:02pm
JustMX wrote:
I have never understood how people think they are environmentally friendly. The amount of money that is spent on them by our government is just silly...

Unintended consequences

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
It's crazy, isn't it? The wife of the guy I bought some show heifers from has/had maybe 20 wild horses. All in different stages of training...
It's crazy, isn't it?
The wife of the guy I bought some show heifers from has/had maybe 20 wild horses.

All in different stages of training. Some will likely die wild, but they are well cared for.

She could hardly talk about what the government does to them without crying.

Tony wasn't all that excited about the added hay burners, but we married guys know why he puts up with it.
If the wife ain't happy ain't nobody happy!
G-man
8/26/2021 2:56pm
Don't know how my thread of the Salt River WILD Horses went off the rails....oh that's right it's Vital. Shocked

But to me and my Animal Loving eyes it does not get more beautiful than this.

How anyone can find pleasure in killing an awesome animal like this is beyond me and must be sick in the head. Probably never luved a pet and or tortured animals as a kid.

Post a reply to: Wild Horses

The Latest