Why is polygamy illegal?

jtomasik
Edited Date/Time 1/21/2012 6:50pm
Now, I can understand if there's slavery or abuse, but I'm not sure that all polygamy relationships would be problematic.

What's the logical basis for making it illegal?
|
level
4/5/2008 7:37pm
It works for Hugh Hefner...

The Shop

todder
4/5/2008 9:41pm
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.
Jenny37
4/5/2008 10:57pm
Should be up to the individuals involved.
r_outsider
Not The End of the World, but you can see it from here, AB CA
4/6/2008 12:59am
Think about this pragmatically. Have you lived with one woman? Why would you want another one or three nagging you to fix the sink? You wouldn't get any more action, if anything you'd get less. Best case scenario they're all best of friends, in which case you're completely ignored while they all go shopping and you're left to fend for yourself, in a manner of speaking. Worst case, and far more likely, they hate each others guts, they all turn on you for not taking each one of their sides, or (more likely) being a real dumbass and taking one of the other ones sides, and you're still stuck jerking off. That's just too much drama and stress for a poor simplistic linear thinking and not completely insane male to take.

And ladies, don't even think about two or five guys. Okay, you might get a few sickos (like your average rock band, for instance) to play nice and share some subhuman plaything once if you get 'em whacked out on various chemicals. This is not the behaviour of a severely normal male of the homosapien species, especially not ones looking for something longer term than the five minutes it takes for them to orgasm. Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx may have tossed a few groupies around like drug addled and STD ridden footballs, but not Heather Locklear and Donna D'erico. No, males are far too possesive and insecure to let the other boys play with their personal toys. Unless of course the boys are gay, their personal toys are each other, and the lady is just a prop thrown in for a few laughs, like say, a vibrator or whatever else it is people do.
jtomasik
4/6/2008 8:02am
Well, apparently certain people see things differently than you, r_outsider. Opinions don't mean much. If some group of people see it as something accetable, I'd like to know why the government should say otherwise.

I still haven't see the subjective, logical evidence than indicates it's any worse than have a boyfriend/girlfrient, or having kids and not getting married, or any of the other variations.
flarider
4/6/2008 8:05am
Obviously r_outsider isn't familar with swinging
4/6/2008 8:08am
The problem I have is with arranged marriges between grown men and 15 year old girls its pedophelia under the guise of religion. You want to marry more than one adult then go right ahead.
flarider
4/6/2008 8:23am
The problem I have is with arranged marriges between grown men and 15 year old girls its pedophelia under the guise of religion. You want to...
The problem I have is with arranged marriges between grown men and 15 year old girls its pedophelia under the guise of religion. You want to marry more than one adult then go right ahead.
Agreed
Age of consent is a major issue in this instance
jmar
4/6/2008 8:23am
jtomasik wrote:
Now, I can understand if there's slavery or abuse, but I'm not sure that all polygamy relationships would be problematic. What's the logical basis for making...
Now, I can understand if there's slavery or abuse, but I'm not sure that all polygamy relationships would be problematic.

Not sure I buy into all of this but #1. and #4. pretty much says it all plus the fact that as Polygamy exists today, it almost always involves young underage girls.

Ten Reasons Why Polygamy Should Be Illegal
In all polygamous cultures on the planet, women have extremely low status. All must obey their husbands, fathers, or brothers at all times. All are poor with few or no rights. In many, the women are virtual prisoners of their family compounds. Almost none get to choose who they marry, and many are married against their will to much older men. Moreover, the religions in these cultures assign women very low status, which teaches women not to expect more out of life for themselves. Thus, despite the polygamists' arguments, polygamy is not about rights: it's about the power over and control of one group by another.
Polygamy is almost never polyandry. It's not about women's freedom to choose who they marry or how many spouses they have: it's about women being owned by men.
Polygamy skews the natural ratio of marriageable men and women. If one man can take 20 women as spouses, then 19 men must do without spouses entirely. For this reason, polygamous cultures have to deal with the problem of excess males, either through wars and conflicts or through ostracization. This skewing of the natural ratio would create conflict in Canada.
Most North American "families" in polygamous situations are on welfare or food stamps. The men in these "families" cannot financially support all the women and children, and the women are generally not permitted the freedom to choose a career and work outside the family compound. This shows that in a modern society, polygamous marriages are neither healthy nor stable institutions.
The media has shown some polygamous women claiming that they are happy in their multiple marriages. But these statements have to be viewed carefully. According to the religion of these cultures, women are only permitted into heaven by permission of their "husband." In addition, if these women make a statement that could be construed as anti-polygamy, the leadership of the religious community will take away their children. Thus, women in these cultures are afraid to reveal their true thoughts and feelings or to jeopardize their fragile status. Meanwhile, many women who have left these polygamous cults describe the complete subjugation they had to endure. For this reason, the statements of polygamous women cannot be taken at face value.
Legal polygamy would turn immigration into a nightmare. An immigrant can claim to be wed to half a nation of women and demand that all these women be brought to Canada. Polygamists can arrive at the border and demand refugee status because of persecution. Sorting out these claims would be impossible, since most nations refuse to give legal status to such marriages.
Legalized polygamy would reduce women's rights. Polygamous cults from all over the world would start immigrating to Canada to take advantage of a right to live this lifestyle. Once they take citizenship, they would be able to vote for the values they believe in – low status for women. Moreover, they would raise their enormous families of children to believe these same values, which would further add to the anti-women voting pool. In a short period of time, 200 years of struggle for women's rights would vanish.
The issue of same-sex marriage is not at all in the same category as polygamous marriage. First, same-sex marriage is still a partnership and relationship of two people, most often with the objective of starting a family. Second, nonheterosexuality is a biological state, not a choice. In contrast, nobody is born a polygamist. Thus, polygamy is not a rights situation in the same sense that nonheterosexual marriage recognition is a rights situation. Third, same-sex marriage does not affect anyone except the two people involved; whereas polygamous marriage affects all of society because of its impact on women's status in Canada.
In Canada, marriage is a partnership and a relationship. Polygamy turns marriage into a cattle drive.
Canada should be prepared to protect the lifestyle choices of those who have sexual-family forms that are not marriages. A multiple sexual partners lifestyle is not and should never be illegal in Canada. In addition, having children with multiple partners or sharing one father for several women's children should never be illegal either. These are lifestyle choices. However, Canada has the right and the responsibility to recognize only one spouse as a legal spouse and refuse to recognize all others. In other words, Canada cannot prevent polygamists from doing what they do, but they can refuse to grant it any legal status.
jtomasik
4/6/2008 8:29am
Well, I'd say allow polygamy, as long as the conditions within the situation doesn't place anyone in a situation where they don't have their freedoms, or where there are underage children involved. Polygamy itself shouldn't be illegal, unless someone can prove that part of the definition is it includes the situations we're concerned about.

Honestly, I have a feeling the illegality is more religious driven.
jmar
4/6/2008 8:31am
jtomasik wrote:
Now, I can understand if there's slavery or abuse, but I'm not sure that all polygamy relationships would be problematic. What's the logical basis for making...

jmar wrote:
Not sure I buy into all of this but #1. and #4. pretty much says it all plus the fact that as Polygamy exists today, it...

Not sure I buy into all of this but #1. and #4. pretty much says it all plus the fact that as Polygamy exists today, it almost always involves young underage girls.

Ten Reasons Why Polygamy Should Be Illegal
In all polygamous cultures on the planet, women have extremely low status. All must obey their husbands, fathers, or brothers at all times. All are poor with few or no rights. In many, the women are virtual prisoners of their family compounds. Almost none get to choose who they marry, and many are married against their will to much older men. Moreover, the religions in these cultures assign women very low status, which teaches women not to expect more out of life for themselves. Thus, despite the polygamists' arguments, polygamy is not about rights: it's about the power over and control of one group by another.
Polygamy is almost never polyandry. It's not about women's freedom to choose who they marry or how many spouses they have: it's about women being owned by men.
Polygamy skews the natural ratio of marriageable men and women. If one man can take 20 women as spouses, then 19 men must do without spouses entirely. For this reason, polygamous cultures have to deal with the problem of excess males, either through wars and conflicts or through ostracization. This skewing of the natural ratio would create conflict in Canada.
Most North American "families" in polygamous situations are on welfare or food stamps. The men in these "families" cannot financially support all the women and children, and the women are generally not permitted the freedom to choose a career and work outside the family compound. This shows that in a modern society, polygamous marriages are neither healthy nor stable institutions.
The media has shown some polygamous women claiming that they are happy in their multiple marriages. But these statements have to be viewed carefully. According to the religion of these cultures, women are only permitted into heaven by permission of their "husband." In addition, if these women make a statement that could be construed as anti-polygamy, the leadership of the religious community will take away their children. Thus, women in these cultures are afraid to reveal their true thoughts and feelings or to jeopardize their fragile status. Meanwhile, many women who have left these polygamous cults describe the complete subjugation they had to endure. For this reason, the statements of polygamous women cannot be taken at face value.
Legal polygamy would turn immigration into a nightmare. An immigrant can claim to be wed to half a nation of women and demand that all these women be brought to Canada. Polygamists can arrive at the border and demand refugee status because of persecution. Sorting out these claims would be impossible, since most nations refuse to give legal status to such marriages.
Legalized polygamy would reduce women's rights. Polygamous cults from all over the world would start immigrating to Canada to take advantage of a right to live this lifestyle. Once they take citizenship, they would be able to vote for the values they believe in – low status for women. Moreover, they would raise their enormous families of children to believe these same values, which would further add to the anti-women voting pool. In a short period of time, 200 years of struggle for women's rights would vanish.
The issue of same-sex marriage is not at all in the same category as polygamous marriage. First, same-sex marriage is still a partnership and relationship of two people, most often with the objective of starting a family. Second, nonheterosexuality is a biological state, not a choice. In contrast, nobody is born a polygamist. Thus, polygamy is not a rights situation in the same sense that nonheterosexual marriage recognition is a rights situation. Third, same-sex marriage does not affect anyone except the two people involved; whereas polygamous marriage affects all of society because of its impact on women's status in Canada.
In Canada, marriage is a partnership and a relationship. Polygamy turns marriage into a cattle drive.
Canada should be prepared to protect the lifestyle choices of those who have sexual-family forms that are not marriages. A multiple sexual partners lifestyle is not and should never be illegal in Canada. In addition, having children with multiple partners or sharing one father for several women's children should never be illegal either. These are lifestyle choices. However, Canada has the right and the responsibility to recognize only one spouse as a legal spouse and refuse to recognize all others. In other words, Canada cannot prevent polygamists from doing what they do, but they can refuse to grant it any legal status.
Sorry but for some reason the numbers didn't past.

1. In all polygamous cultures on the planet, women have extremely low status. All must obey their husbands, fathers, or brothers at all times. All are poor with few or no rights. In many, the women are virtual prisoners of their family compounds. Almost none get to choose who they marry, and many are married against their will to much older men. Moreover, the religions in these cultures assign women very low status, which teaches women not to expect more out of life for themselves. Thus, despite the polygamists' arguments, polygamy is not about rights: it's about the power over and control of one group by another.

4. Most North American "families" in polygamous situations are on welfare or food stamps. The men in these "families" cannot financially support all the women and children, and the women are generally not permitted the freedom to choose a career and work
jtomasik
4/6/2008 8:37am
Well jeez....how many large families, driven by belief to those numbers, end up seeking social assistance?
jmar
4/6/2008 8:45am
jtomasik wrote:
Well, I'd say allow polygamy, as long as the conditions within the situation doesn't place anyone in a situation where they don't have their freedoms, or...
Well, I'd say allow polygamy, as long as the conditions within the situation doesn't place anyone in a situation where they don't have their freedoms, or where there are underage children involved. Polygamy itself shouldn't be illegal, unless someone can prove that part of the definition is it includes the situations we're concerned about.

There are no laws today that keep a man from having as many (common law) wives as he wants. Why would you want to open up Pandora’s Box by legalizing something that almost always degrades women along with placing underage girls into marriage?

jmar
4/6/2008 8:48am
So you’re logic is to add to this problem?
jmar
4/6/2008 9:04am
jtomasik wrote:
Well, I'd say allow polygamy, as long as the conditions within the situation doesn't place anyone in a situation where they don't have their freedoms, or...

Honestly, I hillegality is more religious driven.ave a feeling the

I understand that religious beliefs have caused its share of problems with our country and society today. But peoples dislike of religion has also caused people to look past at what should be common sense just to even the score.

What ever happen to logic and common sense?

flarider
4/6/2008 9:11am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:33pm
jtomasik wrote:

jmar wrote:
There are no laws today that keep a man from having as many (common law) wives as he wants. Why would you want to open up...
There are no laws today that keep a man from having as many (common law) wives as he wants. Why would you want to open up Pandora’s Box by legalizing something that almost always degrades women along with placing underage girls into marriage?

Isn't that akin to the gay marriage argument?

Maybe you should toss in a couple "what about the children" statements in order to come full circle
jmar
4/6/2008 9:41am
jtomasik wrote:

jmar wrote:
There are no laws today that keep a man from having as many (common law) wives as he wants. Why would you want to open up...

flarider wrote:
Isn't that akin to the gay marriage argument?

Maybe you should toss in a couple "what about the children" statements in order to come full circle
You’re assuming that my beliefs are driven from some type of moral judgment. As you always tell me, you know what can happen when you assume. My beliefs are driven by nothing more than common sense. As I have said earlier, if a man wants to live in a big house with multiple women and raise and raise as many children they want, more power to them. With that said, they need to have the finical ability to do this with out government assistance and they should be held to the same laws that everyone else is as far as raising the children.

But why legalize something that is already legal?

BTW: I have absolutely no moral issues with gay people. You might be surprised how many gay friends and acquaintances that I have.
flarider
4/6/2008 10:00am
Point is, to deny something based on the "what if" argument doesn't always apply.
Saying that they can live together indefinitely, legally, is the basis to not allow them to marry makes the argument to outlaw ALL marriages as a whole, as anyone can live together...so why allow marriage at all?

Marriage offers more legal recognition benefits than negative legal issues it may bring.

Disallowing consenting adults the ability to make marital coupling decisions on their own is silly.
If a man (or woman) wants to have two or more spouses, they should be allowed to do so.
It is their lives, it should be there choice and it is a choice that affects no one but themselves.
It has no bearing on anyone else's life whatsoever.
Jenny37
4/6/2008 10:05am
I have several friends that participate in polygamy. In each instance it is up to the individuals to talk about the boundaries that they personally feel most comfortable with. MOst of the time they have a main relationship "marriage" and then they are allowed to have other sexual partners but they talk about it first to make sure the other feels comfortable with it.

I think the pologamy groups where the man forces women to marry, have their children and degrade the women is wrong especially with young children, but it is not how typical pologamy relationships work just the ones the media covers. The media covers the ones where the women aren't allowed to talk and they dress in 1800's clothes and crap like that. Those men are just nasty people.
flarider
4/6/2008 10:08am
Sounds like in the first paragraph you're discussing open marriages or swinging
jmar
4/6/2008 10:47am
flarider wrote:
Point is, to deny something based on the "what if" argument doesn't always apply. Saying that they can live together indefinitely, legally, is the basis to...
Point is, to deny something based on the "what if" argument doesn't always apply.
Saying that they can live together indefinitely, legally, is the basis to not allow them to marry makes the argument to outlaw ALL marriages as a whole, as anyone can live together...so why allow marriage at all?

Marriage offers more legal recognition benefits than negative legal issues it may bring.

Disallowing consenting adults the ability to make marital coupling decisions on their own is silly.
If a man (or woman) wants to have two or more spouses, they should be allowed to do so.
It is their lives, it should be there choice and it is a choice that affects no one but themselves.
It has no bearing on anyone else's life whatsoever.

You’re point would be well taken if we were discussing the Gay Marriage issue and I would agree with you on most of you’re points. Polygamy is a much more completed issue when it comes to the “legal issues” that could, and would come about if polygamy were recognized as a legal marriage. Here are a few of the issues that could turn into a muddy mess.

• Divorce
• Insurance benefits
• Social Security benefits. (particularly death benefits)
• Taxes
brainbasket
4/6/2008 11:08am
Polygamy is illegal because having only one legally recognized spouse at a time is part of American culture. The reason polygamy's illegal is likely based on Judeo-Christian influences, but there are biblical examples of polygamy in the old testament too, so there are other cultural influences at work as well.

It's easy to make an argument that all the social and cultural norms in our society are backwards and wrong if they have a basis in religion, but the reason things like polygamy are considered un-normal in this society is because the society as a whole is comfortable with the idea of one spouse at a time.

There may be 1% that believes polygamy is great, but they chose the wrong society to practice their beliefs in - along with those making moral judgements about how keeping polygamy illegal is "wrong".

There's cultures out there that promote the idea of harums for those that think polygamy is a good idea. Those that think those cultures are not as backwards as our own should move to one of those countries and live it up .....
Jenny37
4/6/2008 12:10pm
flarider wrote:
I've always thought of polygamy as having multiple sexual partners that are not necessarily defined by marriage.
WhKnuckle
4/6/2008 12:29pm
In a broader view, if marriage is a spirtiual commitment between individuals and between themselves and God, then why does the government get involved at all? Does the government think it has the wisdom to stand in for God?

"Marriage" is something that should be the unique province of a church and a faith. The government should recognize ONLY civil unions, which is a legal agreement between adults, dealing with property, care of children, etc, etc.

I believe in the separation of church and state. For starters, tell the state to get out of the marriage business, they don't have the bonifides to do it.
flarider
4/6/2008 2:31pm
flarider wrote:
Jenny37 wrote:
I've always thought of polygamy as having multiple sexual partners that are not necessarily defined by marriage.
That's just an open marriage or swinging
Technically, legally, polygamy requires marriage

Post a reply to: Why is polygamy illegal?

The Latest