Who's got a moto van?

Edited Date/Time 5/17/2018 1:47pm
Well I was in this glorious club with my 03 sprinter for quite some time, got it right after I got out of the sport and it just died on me and ended up being junked today.. Right as I have my foot back into the sport. Go figure

So I need a new one. My sprinter had 394xxx when I put her to rest today.. Always had issues since I got it with 50k. Im wondering if anyone here has had any strong runners and to tell me which make/model/years of van to look for. Or if you've had something with problem after problem, like my sprinter I'd like to know aswell. I'm just concerned with reliability over 200 mile one way trips non stop. Currently planning to look at some late 05-08 e350's this week. Some diesel some not, plus I'm a tad leery of ford.. also how is handlebar clearance in those type vans? Coming from the sprinter I'm not too excited..

Idk maybe someone will chime in and shine a little light..

As always thanks guys

My to do list is= van/bikes/flood of go pro uploads of sunset ridge and Byron - in that order! Need time machine.
|
newmann
3/5/2013 9:23pm
Ford E-Van front doors are easily damaged if you are opening and closing them a lot or are in a high wind area. The hinge area will start to crack around the spot welds and the outer skin will separate from the inner structure. Easy to check, usually you can feel the door drop as it opens off the latch /striker. Swing it open and see if it opens too far and take a peek. Not a cheap fix especially when it snags and crushes the back edge of the fender.Wink

I'm seeing more of those ugly ass Nissan Vans. Some sweet configurations available for a moto hauler.
3/5/2013 10:08pm
Very good I'll make sure to look for that. I'm starting to think I should keep an eye out for an extended chevy.. Do you think it would be risky getting something around $10-13k with probably around 40-60,000 miles but less than 100k miles for sure? Those "ugly ass nissans" are so new still, they're more pricey but usually have 20-30k miles on em when I've looked. I'd really prefer a diesel van, but they are hard to come by around here currently. Probably get a gas v8 just because I'll find one faster that has everything else I'm looking for.. How bad will gas mileage be? My 08 escalade gets about 13 average Sad

I don't plan on keeping this van more than 3 years so it's sort of a tuff call because either route could lead to disaster or good reliability and I'll get about the same depreciation loss/repair costs ets loss either way I go.
motosmith
3/6/2013 2:14am
You can stand up with full head clearance in a sprinter, correct? I always had standard Ford or Chevy vans and not being able to stand up inside really gets old after a while.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
3/6/2013 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2013 12:34pm
motosmith wrote:
You can stand up with full head clearance in a sprinter, correct? I always had standard Ford or Chevy vans and not being able to stand...
You can stand up with full head clearance in a sprinter, correct? I always had standard Ford or Chevy vans and not being able to stand up inside really gets old after a while.
Smith,remember the old one I had years ago (windowless stretched E350)?
Pretty sure we spent an afternoon cruising around in it looking for a place to ride that wasn't flooded out
to test out that 01 250F I sold you.

I liked it though...the not being able to stand never really bothered me.
I put padding & carpet in it and a clear office mat down where the bike went.
Then I would just pull the mat and power-wash it & vacuum the carpet off.

The Shop

3/6/2013 2:45pm
How reliable was your e350? that's the same platform Id prefer- windowless, stretched and I'm assuming I'll be forced into a gasser because diesel vans are all so illusive around here currently.. Can anyone recommend a reputable cargo/work van dealer in IL or southern WI? Maybe something similar to "autolandoutlets" but with work vans? I'd strongly recommend that place btw if anyone is looking for ANY type of diesel pickup. Best heavy duty truck dealer hands down but they don't carry vans regularly.

Various ford/chevy dealers around here don't have much of a selection/ what I'm looking for. And i'm leery of most "mom & pop" dealers. I do have plans to test drive a 2007 e250 reg box tomorrow just because it has 32k and they are asking $8,000. So well see how that goes
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
3/6/2013 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2013 2:55pm
How reliable was your e350? that's the same platform Id prefer- windowless, stretched and I'm assuming I'll be forced into a gasser because diesel vans are...
How reliable was your e350? that's the same platform Id prefer- windowless, stretched and I'm assuming I'll be forced into a gasser because diesel vans are all so illusive around here currently.. Can anyone recommend a reputable cargo/work van dealer in IL or southern WI? Maybe something similar to "autolandoutlets" but with work vans? I'd strongly recommend that place btw if anyone is looking for ANY type of diesel pickup. Best heavy duty truck dealer hands down but they don't carry vans regularly.

Various ford/chevy dealers around here don't have much of a selection/ what I'm looking for. And i'm leery of most "mom & pop" dealers. I do have plans to test drive a 2007 e250 reg box tomorrow just because it has 32k and they are asking $8,000. So well see how that goes
I bought the E350 as a trade-in work van up in Washington state.
Took it to a shop and had it tuned up and had the windshield replaced.
It had almost 300k miles on it when I got it....no joke.
We used the heck out of it and I personally never had any issues with it while I owned.
Other then when my buddies who borrowed it.... they couldn't get used to the big mirrors and would hit shit with them and break them. lol
The guy that bought it from me ended up having a some tranny issues a couple years later though.
But all in all,I liked the van and personally had good luck with it.
I believe I paid about $6,500 for it....but it was really clean Inside & out....So it was a steal to me.
I believe it was a late 1990's model...I forget the exact year though.
nytsmaC
3/7/2013 9:15am
Get the extended Chevy. We've had a 97, 02, 07 GMC 3500 vans, put 400k+ miles on each of them and they were great.

Decided to try a Ford, as I remember the 99 I had was good. Bought a 11 E150 and 12 E350, not really impressed. They're okay, but liked the extended GM's better.

Ford has a new replacement for the econoline series coming out in 2014, you might want to research it, it might be worth waiting for. I haven't really looked into them yet.
3/7/2013 10:27am
no matter what you buy, make sure you put an oversized Fox sticker in the back window.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
3/7/2013 10:51am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2013 10:52am
no matter what you buy, make sure you put an oversized Fox sticker in the back window.
Nah,the rare blue & yellow FMF 0val is the key man!
Seriously had one on mine. Smile hahaha
3/7/2013 11:24am
Good info guys thanks! Went out to see an e350 today, didn't even take it for a spin because when I got there I noticed the tires were close to shot (ad said new) and the passenger side door to the cargo area had alot of rust around it. Basically the dealership totally BS'd the ad and me when I called to inquire the other day. So we walked off the lot. The search continues..

Hahah hey I'd rock that oval with pride! I think my all time favorite decal is the Honda woodpecker Tongue
ocscottie
3/7/2013 4:11pm
This would prob get more action in the moto room, now that most of the pissing and moaning over last weekend is over with.

Do you want it moved there?
ocscottie
3/7/2013 8:46pm
~bump~ Here ya go dude. There have been some cool threads / advice about setting up moto vans.
IceMan446
3/7/2013 9:56pm
Wasnt there just a dude on here trying to sell a moto van all decked out?

It was sweet. Go back and look for it.
JB 19
3/7/2013 10:07pm
I currently have an 05 chevy express 1500 cargo standard length with a V6. Its a great van for hauling bikes and dry wall or whatever. I want something I can tow a camper with and my dream van is a 3500 extended cargo with a duramax diesel. You don't see many for sale and new one is 45,000$ Sad Some guys want a new Vett.....some guys want a new diesel van. Smile
mxnick
3/7/2013 10:47pm
Well I was in this glorious club with my 03 sprinter for quite some time, got it right after I got out of the sport and...
Well I was in this glorious club with my 03 sprinter for quite some time, got it right after I got out of the sport and it just died on me and ended up being junked today.. Right as I have my foot back into the sport. Go figure

So I need a new one. My sprinter had 394xxx when I put her to rest today.. Always had issues since I got it with 50k. Im wondering if anyone here has had any strong runners and to tell me which make/model/years of van to look for. Or if you've had something with problem after problem, like my sprinter I'd like to know aswell. I'm just concerned with reliability over 200 mile one way trips non stop. Currently planning to look at some late 05-08 e350's this week. Some diesel some not, plus I'm a tad leery of ford.. also how is handlebar clearance in those type vans? Coming from the sprinter I'm not too excited..

Idk maybe someone will chime in and shine a little light..

As always thanks guys

My to do list is= van/bikes/flood of go pro uploads of sunset ridge and Byron - in that order! Need time machine.
One question: Why no more Sprinter? I heard the early ones (like what you had) had reliability issues, but thought they got sorted out? Sprinters are way bigger and better than the Ford / Chevy vans, and they handle better and get better gas milage.

Are you not considering another one of those?

Like you, I had a sweet moto van back (it was a box van) in the day, and missed it after it was gone. I bought another one a while back, but the gas milage just killed me. When I had my box van in the mid 90's, gas could be found at $.99 (in Georgia and New Jersey) but now at $4+ in CA, a box van just doesnt work. Like, not at all.
3/8/2013 12:03am
Bought a express 1500. Would recommend getting a diesel. More pulling options same gas mileage.

Mine gas van had 70000 and I needed to replace valve covers and the rear main seal. Make sure that shit has been changed before 100,000 or your driveway will have oil spots.

Walled it off. Can fit 2 450s and a 2 stroke 250 in the back with stands and 3 gas cans. It's not extended and tight. Get a 2500 extended.
3/8/2013 3:33am
With a budget that big you should be able get something pretty sweet.
If its just a Moto hauler look for a enterprise commercial fleet rental. I picked up an f150 on the cheap that way. With your budget you would be able to pick one up and have plenty of money to build it into what you want.

Yes it will have just over a 100 k miles on ii but Most of the fleet vehicles are pretty well maintained cause who ever has them doesn't have to pay for it.
mxpappy711
3/8/2013 3:47am
The ford rear door openings are a bit lower than the chevy, bikes with tall bars needed to be compressed a little. I just went from a 1990 e 250 with a straight 6 w/220,000 mi. still going strong they gave me 1,500 for a trade on a 2000 chevy 3500 w/40,000 mi for 7,000.
Both work well, same gas milage even with a 350 in the chevy. will tow 10,000 lbs according to manual too. 3 full size bikes,riders and gear plus trailer if you want. Cant go wrong with either one. Just check condition and maintenance or get some kind of warranty.
MiSledder
3/8/2013 6:24am

343,000 miles and I know every says they will drive it anywhere but I would, 3500 Express 6.0, 16 highway 13 town
gotwings
3/8/2013 8:28am
I have an 04 Sprinter 2500 158wb, tall roof. 255k, best vehicle ive owned. You cant beat 24-26 mpg, And standing up in back rocks! Love it!!! No major issues, but I bought with rebuilt tranny.
4stroke4DWIN
3/8/2013 8:49am
I recently picked up a RUNNING, EMISSIONS PASSING 86 G30 Hi-Cube for 700.00. I love this thing, though a 20gallon tank with a 5.7L 1 ton sucks balls on gas. I have built a 4' sleeper which will have a bed, T.V., Microwave, inverter/converter I have a Generac 5000 watt continuous 6000 watt surge generator out of a class C to run everything, it all ready has a spot for it. Thing came with water tanks and plumbing, I have a roof top R.V. A/C with heat strip not installed yet. Also has extra space for 3 batteries. I can still get 3 bikes plus a pit bike in the back along with tools and power washer. I have a Motorcycle shop so it's used as track support also. I keep it half assed stocked with parts people usually break at the track.
gotwings
3/8/2013 9:13am
Can I get a Choco taco and a fudgesicle...
LOL!
BIGRIGGIN
3/8/2013 9:26am
I owned every young kids, or at least my dream van for a number of years. 1984 Ford Quadravan 4x4 with Banks Turbo Diesel. I purchased it for $3500 in 1995 from the Thomas Fogarty Wine ranch. My buddies fab'd up a one off roof rack set on Yakimas. So many good times in this ultimate moto machine. I sold it after the fucktards at BLM shut down Clear Creek in 2008.

7eleven
3/8/2013 9:43am
If you're looking for a standard extended van, look no further that a private sale of a 1 owner Ford E-250 or 350 with a 5.4 V8. Hands down best standard van made. Stay away from GMC, the trans are junk. Stay away from Diesel because the diesel fuel these days, it's killing the injectors. I've had 4 powerstroke diesel vans and loved them, but lost injectors, super pricey!

my 2 cents...I've had 15 vans...
ocscottie
3/8/2013 10:22am
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
I owned every young kids, or at least my dream van for a number of years. 1984 Ford Quadravan 4x4 with Banks Turbo Diesel. I purchased...
I owned every young kids, or at least my dream van for a number of years. 1984 Ford Quadravan 4x4 with Banks Turbo Diesel. I purchased it for $3500 in 1995 from the Thomas Fogarty Wine ranch. My buddies fab'd up a one off roof rack set on Yakimas. So many good times in this ultimate moto machine. I sold it after the fucktards at BLM shut down Clear Creek in 2008.

Craiger, you are a BOSS!

...i still miss my van every day, If the walls of that thing could speak, can you imagine the stories it could tell? Would make a great movie Woohoo

I think it was Burks who broke the "Eco" off the "Econoline" and made it the "NoLine", i think our record was something like 14 people (and 2 wheelchairs) packed into it. So many good times Cool
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/8/2013 10:43am
I have an 02 ford e350 extended with a 7.3 diesel, i love that thing! If you get a diesel in the ford i would highly recommend tracking down the older 7.3 instead of the 6... the 7.3 is bullet proof... I run a standard bar height and i barely clear though getting in and out, i've loaded a buddies bike with me (he is about 6'4) and runs a taller bar... it was kinda tricky.

Also i've driven a friend's chevy extended with the duramax, the chevy's longer wheelbase in the extended really helps the handling. I would have love to have bought a duramax 3500 chevy van, but the duramax option has only been available sine 06 making it pretty scarce.

with my 7.3 in an e350 it came with a 4.11 gear ratio, i swapped it out for a 3.55 in the rear end. Now im getting roughly 20-21mpg highway at about 70-75.
3/8/2013 11:03am
I recently bought a 2004 Chevy Express extended 3500. It drives like a crew cab truck, plenty of vertical space in the back for bikes. The 6.0 engine runs smooth. I did 10mpg with the van loaded and pulling a 20ft loaded camper trailer at 75mph. Same mileage I got with my old Ford box van with a 7.3 diesel going 60mpg.

Do you plan on using it for work or just moto?
Ryno23
Fantasy
891st
3/8/2013 11:28am
I have an 02 E350 super duty XLT fully loaded with the V-10. 163k on it with no problems at all. It has been a great moto rig and gets about 13 on the highway at 75 with 2 bikes, tools, and gear in the back.

Post a reply to: Who's got a moto van?

The Latest