Who’s ready for the bottom to fall out?

nytsmaC
Edited Date/Time 6/15/2022 9:02pm
Just sitting over here wondering how long until bad turns to worse. Seems like our economies are in a downward spiral and thinking drastic measures may be required to prepare for what’s coming.

It’s tempting to liquidate everything but our currencies are plummeting. Crypto is in a freefall. Real estate seems like it’s likely to follow shortly. Where/what to do with your liquidity? Precious metals/commodities?

Crazy times we are living in. My wife and I have good equity in our home but I wonder if it would be smart to get out before prices plummet, or just hold on because we can afford to. We are upper middle class and aren’t suffering but by no means do I think we are immune from a catastrophic depression era. I wish I had the answers and knew how inflation is going to effect home prices, etc. What I’m concerned about is to be standing here with my dick in my hand, not doing anything, while I watch our equity bleed out.
|
Titan1
6/13/2022 1:29pm
Seems like to a certain extent, recessions are a self fulfilling prophecy...

one person starts talking about a recession, then more people do, then even more people...then the media starts reporting about people talking about a recession...then it starts seeping into main street types...soon everyone is expecting a recession, so they start acting like we are already in one, changing spending habits (spending less), then those changes are reflected in wall street earnings, then the stock market drops, then more people start changing their spending habits...then every slides downward....

then one person starts talking about the recession being over, then more people do, then even more people do...media starts reporting that the some people think the recession is over...then that thinking seeps into main street types...soon everyone is expecting the recession to be over, so everyone starts acting like its over, changing spending habits (spending more), then those changes are reflecting wall street earnings, then the stock market goes up, then more people start changing their spending habits, then everything starts shifting upwards...

then one person starts talking about another recession...

I've always wondered about that...
Zycki11
6/13/2022 2:22pm
Titan1 wrote:
Seems like to a certain extent, recessions are a self fulfilling prophecy... one person starts talking about a recession, then more people do, then even more...

one person starts talking about a recession, then more people do, then even more people...then the media starts reporting about people talking about a recession...then it starts seeping into main street types...soon everyone is expecting a recession, so they start acting like we are already in one, changing spending habits (spending less), then those changes are reflected in wall street earnings, then the stock market drops, then more people start changing their spending habits...then every slides downward....

then one person starts talking about the recession being over, then more people do, then even more people do...media starts reporting that the some people think the recession is over...then that thinking seeps into main street types...soon everyone is expecting the recession to be over, so everyone starts acting like its over, changing spending habits (spending more), then those changes are reflecting wall street earnings, then the stock market goes up, then more people start changing their spending habits, then everything starts shifting upwards...

It can act like a domino affect. The stock market is forward thinking though. News has recently been spouting recession and quite frankly, there is no upside at the moment. The real fear is the bond market and Michael Burry is betting on it failing. If the US bonds fail we are in for a LARGE amount of pain
Zycki11
6/13/2022 2:30pm
I can tell you I have puts for Friday. If $375 doesn’t hold well going into the feds meeting on Wednesday I can see Jerome Powell increasing to .75bps and the S&P500 getting down to $350
Chance1216
6/13/2022 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 2:33pm
I’m on the flip side of this coin. As unfortunate as it is, I’m waiting for the bottom to fall out. I’ve worked hard my whole life to finally be in a position to buy a house but, at what cost? The way the market is now, 100K over asking, another 100K worth of updates remodeling while continuing to rent a house is what I’m currently looking at. The last house my realtor sent me pictures of was a gross trap house. Garbage and, old food everywhere. 400K was asking. It needed to be stripped down to the bare studs and, everything else needed replaced. Even the roof. I can’t afford two households.

If you’re a homeowner, it’s definitely your market. Houses are selling within a few days. You’re guaranteed to get way over your asking price but, will you hold out with cash in hand until the market drops to find something nicer/cheaper? Or, will you be looking at something similar to your current household?

The Shop

Zycki11
6/13/2022 2:40pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I’m on the flip side of this coin. As unfortunate as it is, I’m waiting for the bottom to fall out. I’ve worked hard my whole...
I’m on the flip side of this coin. As unfortunate as it is, I’m waiting for the bottom to fall out. I’ve worked hard my whole life to finally be in a position to buy a house but, at what cost? The way the market is now, 100K over asking, another 100K worth of updates remodeling while continuing to rent a house is what I’m currently looking at. The last house my realtor sent me pictures of was a gross trap house. Garbage and, old food everywhere. 400K was asking. It needed to be stripped down to the bare studs and, everything else needed replaced. Even the roof. I can’t afford two households.

If you’re a homeowner, it’s definitely your market. Houses are selling within a few days. You’re guaranteed to get way over your asking price but, will you hold out with cash in hand until the market drops to find something nicer/cheaper? Or, will you be looking at something similar to your current household?

Housing needs to go down and that is just one tiny portion of the equation. It is seriously ugly every direction you look.
TXDirt
6/13/2022 2:43pm
Housing market is showing signs of cooling. New builds in the two fastest growing cities in North Dallas are down 23% from last year.
nytsmaC
6/13/2022 2:47pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I’m on the flip side of this coin. As unfortunate as it is, I’m waiting for the bottom to fall out. I’ve worked hard my whole...

I guess what I’m failing to understand is with the supply/demand issue of the housing market, new construction costs skyrocketing combined with supply chain issues and a devaluing dollar, what is the likelihood of prices actually coming down any time soon?

It seems like if/when it happens it may be sudden and drastic. When that time comes you’ll definitely be in the driver’s seat, assuming you can even qualify for a mortgage depending on how high interest rates are.

It just seems like so much doom and gloom on the horizon. The middle class is slowly getting slaughtered. Our economy is propped up on nothingness, how long can we keep pretending that our countries are not bankrupt and at what cost? Where is it going to take us?
Chance1216
6/13/2022 3:08pm
Chance1216 wrote:

Zycki11 wrote:
Housing needs to go down and that is just one tiny portion of the equation. It is seriously ugly every direction you look.
The list definitely could go on.
Chance1216
6/13/2022 3:25pm
Chance1216 wrote:

nytsmaC wrote:
I guess what I’m failing to understand is with the supply/demand issue of the housing market, new construction costs skyrocketing combined with supply chain issues and...
I guess what I’m failing to understand is with the supply/demand issue of the housing market, new construction costs skyrocketing combined with supply chain issues and a devaluing dollar, what is the likelihood of prices actually coming down any time soon?

It seems like if/when it happens it may be sudden and drastic. When that time comes you’ll definitely be in the driver’s seat, assuming you can even qualify for a mortgage depending on how high interest rates are.

It just seems like so much doom and gloom on the horizon. The middle class is slowly getting slaughtered. Our economy is propped up on nothingness, how long can we keep pretending that our countries are not bankrupt and at what cost? Where is it going to take us?
Hopefully, interest rates aren’t too insane when that time comes. Could always refinance down the line I imagine.

I don’t know what the future holds but, construction is slowing down a bit here in the Seattle area. I know of one company that tracks their fire sprinkler heads. The previous three years, they saw an average of 8% increase each year. 24% increase over three years. Now, it’s already platued and, starting to dip.

The way I see it is, supply in demand. If there’s no demand prices drop. Same goes for bidding jobs. To get work, contractors will eventually lower their prices. I could be pissing in the wind here but, it’s just a guess.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/13/2022 3:45pm
I'm renting now and hoping to buy in April/May of next year. I hope the real estate market tanks just big enough that home prices plummet but my job doesn't go away. That's a fine line, for sure.
whyZ
6/13/2022 3:53pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Just sitting over here wondering how long until bad turns to worse. Seems like our economies are in a downward spiral and thinking drastic measures may...
Just sitting over here wondering how long until bad turns to worse. Seems like our economies are in a downward spiral and thinking drastic measures may be required to prepare for what’s coming.

It’s tempting to liquidate everything but our currencies are plummeting. Crypto is in a freefall. Real estate seems like it’s likely to follow shortly. Where/what to do with your liquidity? Precious metals/commodities?

Crazy times we are living in. My wife and I have good equity in our home but I wonder if it would be smart to get out before prices plummet, or just hold on because we can afford to. We are upper middle class and aren’t suffering but by no means do I think we are immune from a catastrophic depression era. I wish I had the answers and knew how inflation is going to effect home prices, etc. What I’m concerned about is to be standing here with my dick in my hand, not doing anything, while I watch our equity bleed out.
Controlling energy prices is the causes, and the solution.
Titan1
6/13/2022 3:55pm
Titan1 wrote:
Seems like to a certain extent, recessions are a self fulfilling prophecy... one person starts talking about a recession, then more people do, then even more...

Zycki11 wrote:
It can act like a domino affect. The stock market is forward thinking though. News has recently been spouting recession and quite frankly, there is no...
It can act like a domino affect. The stock market is forward thinking though. News has recently been spouting recession and quite frankly, there is no upside at the moment. The real fear is the bond market and Michael Burry is betting on it failing. If the US bonds fail we are in for a LARGE amount of pain
(You know more about this than I do...so honest question) What affect do you see a recession having on inflation? Will the dropping consumer confidence, rising unemployment, etc. etc. reduce demand for enough things to drop prices? Or will a recession have the opposite affect?

Zycki11
6/13/2022 4:34pm
Titan1 wrote:

Zycki11 wrote:
It can act like a domino affect. The stock market is forward thinking though. News has recently been spouting recession and quite frankly, there is no...
Titan1 wrote:
(You know more about this than I do...so honest question) What affect do you see a recession having on inflation? Will the dropping consumer confidence, rising...
(You know more about this than I do...so honest question) What affect do you see a recession having on inflation? Will the dropping consumer confidence, rising unemployment, etc. etc. reduce demand for enough things to drop prices? Or will a recession have the opposite affect?

Hard to say, normally it would help curb inflation. The problem we are running into is the route cause of our current inflation and how the fed reacts. Typically the fed starts by raising rates aka base point hikes. We will at minimum raise another .50bps on Wednesday, but inflation continues to grow. So we may even see a .75bps to help with inflation.

Essentially, some want the bandaid to be ripped off and go up an entire point or 1.0 to stymie inflation, but it would hurt the markets. So the fed has been hoping for a “soft landing” by stating the plan in advance(even though they were WAY too slow reacting) and sticking too it. This last cpi report stated things are continuing to get worse which means the fed may have to increase either the rate of the hikes or the hike size themselves.

In the end, fuel costs need to go down to allow cheaper deliveries of goods, thus helping a bit on suppliers side. In reality, when you have people not working at the rate the US has, the costs of goods and services are up due to demand and eventually they will need workers back, fuel costs lower, housing market to cool down, and consumers not willing to pay for said goods/services at the current price.

For the first time, the US has his a trifecta and not in a good way. The fed can’t use printed money like they did for 2008 and Covid. The deficit is too large for the private sector to help pay by giving money and the government paying them back with interest. On top of the regular inflation.

NOT GOOD
Titan1
6/13/2022 4:49pm
Zycki11 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
(You know more about this than I do...so honest question) What affect do you see a recession having on inflation? Will the dropping consumer confidence, rising...

Zycki11 wrote:
Hard to say, normally it would help curb inflation. The problem we are running into is the route cause of our current inflation and how the...
Hard to say, normally it would help curb inflation. The problem we are running into is the route cause of our current inflation and how the fed reacts. Typically the fed starts by raising rates aka base point hikes. We will at minimum raise another .50bps on Wednesday, but inflation continues to grow. So we may even see a .75bps to help with inflation.

Essentially, some want the bandaid to be ripped off and go up an entire point or 1.0 to stymie inflation, but it would hurt the markets. So the fed has been hoping for a “soft landing” by stating the plan in advance(even though they were WAY too slow reacting) and sticking too it. This last cpi report stated things are continuing to get worse which means the fed may have to increase either the rate of the hikes or the hike size themselves.

In the end, fuel costs need to go down to allow cheaper deliveries of goods, thus helping a bit on suppliers side. In reality, when you have people not working at the rate the US has, the costs of goods and services are up due to demand and eventually they will need workers back, fuel costs lower, housing market to cool down, and consumers not willing to pay for said goods/services at the current price.

For the first time, the US has his a trifecta and not in a good way. The fed can’t use printed money like they did for 2008 and Covid. The deficit is too large for the private sector to help pay by giving money and the government paying them back with interest. On top of the regular inflation.

NOT GOOD
Those are similar to my-less educated-thoughts on it. I appreciate your take.

Fuel is key as far as I can tell...Somehow, some way fuel needs to start coming down (this China covid thing seems to be in the news today, and see a dip in prices...but we need more than that).
hubbardmx50
6/13/2022 4:49pm
You could sell now and make a lot of money. Problem is you still need a place to live. Guess you could sell now, rent until we're in a Great Depression in 1-2 years and buy when prices go down.
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/13/2022 4:55pm
We have been seeing mostly supply side inflation. Raising interest rates will help that a bit by cooling off the housing market and possibly lowering prices of raw materials. Material prices are crazy for everything not just house construction supplies. Alot of this commodity inflation is from de-globalisation from covid.

Cryptos is getting destroyed and that likely to ramp up in the coming weeks, I don't think that has as much penetration in the economy as the hypsters would have you believe. There will be some mortgage defaults, hopefully it doesn't turn into 2008 again, but the market has been regulated at least a little more than back then.

The fundamentals of the US economy are still pretty good, recession or much slower growth is ahead.
Zycki11
6/13/2022 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 5:01pm
early wrote:
We have been seeing mostly supply side inflation. Raising interest rates will help that a bit by cooling off the housing market and possibly lowering prices...
We have been seeing mostly supply side inflation. Raising interest rates will help that a bit by cooling off the housing market and possibly lowering prices of raw materials. Material prices are crazy for everything not just house construction supplies. Alot of this commodity inflation is from de-globalisation from covid.

Cryptos is getting destroyed and that likely to ramp up in the coming weeks, I don't think that has as much penetration in the economy as the hypsters would have you believe. There will be some mortgage defaults, hopefully it doesn't turn into 2008 again, but the market has been regulated at least a little more than back then.

The fundamentals of the US economy are still pretty good, recession or much slower growth is ahead.
Crypto will be changing by the end of this year or early next year. MM and HF are going to be “trading” crypto 24/7 which means lots of liquidity is leaving the market

Housing won’t lower raw material cost much when it slows down. It will take more than that to help the suppliers reduce costs.
borg
6/13/2022 5:08pm
So much of the shit we are going through is a direct result of the economic shutdown. It's not a result of the pandemic it's the shutdown. You cant really look at historical situations and draw many parallels because this has really never happened before on a national scale. I don't see a recession because there is still great demand for products. The problem is that production has not caught up after the shutdown. Steel, lumber and oil are just part of it. Interest rates need to go up. They have been stupid low for way too long. That won't end well for the gov't but this has been coming for a long time. These lying frauds we call politicians may have to face the fact they put our national checkbook in this position.
It's way more complicated than I can fathom I'm sure but it's not a typical situation at all.
The market has been overpriced for a long time based on the PE ratio of the S&P 500 but a market correction doesn't necessarily mean recession. It means opportunity for cash holders.
The real estate situation here in SoCal is asinine. Again. This time for different reasons. It deserves a crash.
Zycki11
6/13/2022 5:21pm
borg wrote:
So much of the shit we are going through is a direct result of the economic shutdown. It's not a result of the pandemic it's the...
So much of the shit we are going through is a direct result of the economic shutdown. It's not a result of the pandemic it's the shutdown. You cant really look at historical situations and draw many parallels because this has really never happened before on a national scale. I don't see a recession because there is still great demand for products. The problem is that production has not caught up after the shutdown. Steel, lumber and oil are just part of it. Interest rates need to go up. They have been stupid low for way too long. That won't end well for the gov't but this has been coming for a long time. These lying frauds we call politicians may have to face the fact they put our national checkbook in this position.
It's way more complicated than I can fathom I'm sure but it's not a typical situation at all.
The market has been overpriced for a long time based on the PE ratio of the S&P 500 but a market correction doesn't necessarily mean recession. It means opportunity for cash holders.
The real estate situation here in SoCal is asinine. Again. This time for different reasons. It deserves a crash.
We are in a recession, they just haven’t been honest about it.
borg
6/13/2022 5:38pm
borg wrote:
So much of the shit we are going through is a direct result of the economic shutdown. It's not a result of the pandemic it's the...
Zycki11 wrote:
Who hasn't been honest about it?
Zycki11
6/13/2022 5:43pm
borg wrote:
Zycki11 wrote:
borg wrote:
The fed and the numbers they post. It is all a farce because they want things to appear better than they are
borg
6/13/2022 5:56pm
Zycki11 wrote:
borg wrote:
Zycki11 wrote:
The fed and the numbers they post. It is all a farce because they want things to appear better than they are
The Fed does not calculate GDP. The BEA does. They are part of the Dept. of Commerce.
SEEMEFIRST
6/13/2022 6:12pm
Did they already raise the interest .75, or are they about to.
borg
6/13/2022 6:35pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Probably in the next couple of days.
Zycki11
6/13/2022 7:33pm
borg wrote:
Zycki11 wrote:
borg wrote:
The Fed does not calculate GDP. The BEA does. They are part of the Dept. of Commerce.
I know, it is the fed themselves who can skew the numbers and base it off of particulars
Zycki11
6/13/2022 7:35pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
The fed is meeting tomorrow and will have an announcement on Wednesday. With cpi above 8.6% we are looking for PPI to maintain or minimize that number to stay at .50 if it is higher than 8.6 we will have .75bps
Premix
6/13/2022 7:58pm
There are so many people that have so many different revenue streams than there were 5, 10, even 15 years ago. A metric shit ton of people made a killing in the market the last two years along with selling homes for solid gains. The number of PPP loans that were forgiven for private and corporate companies is absolutely sickening. There is a TON of money out there right now.

I don’t see things going up, but it’s certainly not coming down anytime soon

SEEMEFIRST
6/13/2022 8:01pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Zycki11 wrote:
The fed is meeting tomorrow and will have an announcement on Wednesday. With cpi above 8.6% we are looking for PPI to maintain or minimize that...
The fed is meeting tomorrow and will have an announcement on Wednesday. With cpi above 8.6% we are looking for PPI to maintain or minimize that number to stay at .50 if it is higher than 8.6 we will have .75bps
FUBAR....
SCR
6/13/2022 9:11pm
The Fed has no where to run and no tools to fix the situation they put us in along with Congress and the treasury by financing the Govt with debt. Congress has to raise taxes or cut spending. Or continue financing with debt until we have runaway inflation which is probably already in progress.

For about 20 years the Fed has artificially kept interest rates low and flooded the system with cheap money and debt so the Govt can spend more than they take in with taxes. Financial assets have got insanely overvalued and a lot of people have made money. But a lot of that debt didn't go toward investing in Companies expansion of goods and services and labor. The US is a massive importer not an exporter like we used to be and our debt to GDP ration was alway about 30 to 60%. After not taking responsibility for the 2008 collapse our debt to GDP quickly went to 100% and today we are at like 130% or something.

Inflation is 8% and in reality higher. What do interest rates need to get to to bring that down.
How does the Govt pay the interest on the debt if rates go up.
Who is going to buy the treasuries that the Fed is tying to offload from their balance sheet and the Treasuring needs to sell to the Fed to finance the Govt ?

What happens to millions of pension funds when the stock market crashes because the Fed raises rates 1 or 2%.

I try to read about this stuff and it gets really complicated when you think about the US dollar is the global currency and we are linked with all the global markets and currencies, the IMF and other central banks.

Its a hell of a mess and I dont know if we are headed for hyper inflation, depression, deflation. Default and a new
digital currency which would be a really really bad thing I think.

All I know for sure is we have been getting ripped off for a long time by the central bank and the Govt has been honest with us about any of it or willing to do anything serious or honest for at least the last 20 years or so.

I hope that people will start getting together locally and find mutual ground to figure out how to clean out our Govt starting with City Councils, state reps and the people we send to Congress. As far as I can figure there is no good reason for these financial disasters every one of them is caused or enabled by the Govt and Central Bank.

Post a reply to: Who’s ready for the bottom to fall out?

The Latest