Who has quit drinking and why?

greenmx5
4/10/2019 6:26am
I was never a heavy heavy drinker, but would have moments. I quit for the same reasons a lot of you have. Acid reflux and depression were big ones. Neither were getting any better with alcohol. When I started taking anti depressants, I quit drinking alcohol. I'm not sure what helped more, the anti depressants or not having the alcohol. I went 6 months without drinking an ounce and my body just felt better. Then I got off the anti depressants because I hate taking pills. My mind was more focused. I was less sluggish in the mornings. Alcohol naturally reduces your testosterone over time. My workouts started getting better too.

You also don't get as deep of sleep as what your body needs to get fully rested. Anyone here notice how much more vivid your dreams get if you stop drinking for about a month? Your body is trying to catch up on the REM (Rapid eye movement) sleep you had been missing out on.

These days I have some IPA's and craft beers once in a while on the weekends while watching the races. 2-3 at most. I'm better without the weeknight beers.
Sierra Ranger
4/16/2019 10:05am
Well, I wasn't going to do a bunch of updates, but I had to share my experience riding for the first time after getting clean from alcohol.
Around the three-week mark I went and did some pretty heavy moto (for me) at a sand track. First ride in about 5-6 months After a few laps I was literally wondering why my arms weren't pumping up and I could just keep riding.
I wasn't even thinking about the drinking but then it hit me that was the reason. I think the difference is I am heavily hydrated now. I had my best riding day in decades and had a helluva lot more fun and had a better attitude. It was one of those rides where every muscle is sore the next day, but you feel great.
Full disclosure: I actually had one beer (leftover in my fridge) late one Saturday night watching a race. One beer once in a great while is not a big deal for me, but I am done with regular drinking forever! (Wife is off my back, too).
If I can help anybody with tips, lemme know...if you tried to quit and couldn't, don't get down on yourself- just try again. It might take 50 times but you'll eventually get sick of the mental battle.
gt80rider
4/16/2019 10:44am
I quit drinking the day I found herb.... used to drink a 5th a day n college....

Alcohol, I never liked the taste.... Also hate hang overs and the inability to do anything athletic when drinking (it generally upsets my stomach)...

Herb... Stronger....makes me sleep like a baby, no hang overs.... Also helped me lose a bunch of weight while generally feeling much happier....

That is just for me.... Herb isn't for everyone...
fourfourone
4/16/2019 12:13pm
gt80rider wrote:
I quit drinking the day I found herb.... used to drink a 5th a day n college.... Alcohol, I never liked the taste.... Also hate hang...
I quit drinking the day I found herb.... used to drink a 5th a day n college....

Alcohol, I never liked the taste.... Also hate hang overs and the inability to do anything athletic when drinking (it generally upsets my stomach)...

Herb... Stronger....makes me sleep like a baby, no hang overs.... Also helped me lose a bunch of weight while generally feeling much happier....

That is just for me.... Herb isn't for everyone...
Gonna agree with this. Same for me

The Shop

greenmx5
4/16/2019 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 4:45pm
Well, I wasn't going to do a bunch of updates, but I had to share my experience riding for the first time after getting clean from...
Well, I wasn't going to do a bunch of updates, but I had to share my experience riding for the first time after getting clean from alcohol.
Around the three-week mark I went and did some pretty heavy moto (for me) at a sand track. First ride in about 5-6 months After a few laps I was literally wondering why my arms weren't pumping up and I could just keep riding.
I wasn't even thinking about the drinking but then it hit me that was the reason. I think the difference is I am heavily hydrated now. I had my best riding day in decades and had a helluva lot more fun and had a better attitude. It was one of those rides where every muscle is sore the next day, but you feel great.
Full disclosure: I actually had one beer (leftover in my fridge) late one Saturday night watching a race. One beer once in a great while is not a big deal for me, but I am done with regular drinking forever! (Wife is off my back, too).
If I can help anybody with tips, lemme know...if you tried to quit and couldn't, don't get down on yourself- just try again. It might take 50 times but you'll eventually get sick of the mental battle.
Exactly this. Alcohol also causes inflammation in your body making you pump up quicker and the soreness last longer. Along with looking better, you’ll feel a lot better as well. It’s just not worth it to drink regularly
Motox627!
4/19/2019 11:48am
Well, yesterday was 40 days without a drop - and this is by far the best i have felt in years!!! Sleeping much better, not bloated all the time, no more acid reflux and seem to have a generally more positive outlook on everything. Figures with my luck, the month I chose to quit we had a death in the family and all sorts of other problems, but i managed to stay strong throughout. I did pick up a vaporizer and a bit of the sticky icky today to see if that helps take the edge of when needed, so we'll see.....
mikec265
4/21/2019 7:41pm
Motox627! wrote:
Well, yesterday was 40 days without a drop - and this is by far the best i have felt in years!!! Sleeping much better, not bloated...
Well, yesterday was 40 days without a drop - and this is by far the best i have felt in years!!! Sleeping much better, not bloated all the time, no more acid reflux and seem to have a generally more positive outlook on everything. Figures with my luck, the month I chose to quit we had a death in the family and all sorts of other problems, but i managed to stay strong throughout. I did pick up a vaporizer and a bit of the sticky icky today to see if that helps take the edge of when needed, so we'll see.....
Drinking won't make hard times, or problems any better. I've conducted that experiment many times without positive results.
Sierra Ranger
4/23/2019 9:04am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2019 9:05am
Motox627! wrote:
Well, yesterday was 40 days without a drop - and this is by far the best i have felt in years!!! Sleeping much better, not bloated...
That's awesome man! Sorry to hear about death in the family. Deaths and funerals are another drinky occasion. When I was drinking a lot, good days were an excuse to drink, and bad days- the same thing.
I'm at about a month (i had two random ones in there - one late night watching moto and another at dinner with a new boss, but stopped after each one. I feel like that is the drinker I wanted to be. I don't recommend that approach for a true clinical alcoholic.).
The benefits to quitting so far outweigh the negatives, it's ridiculous. I feel effing great in the mornings now, instead of taking 2-3 hours to start feeling right. I never quite realized how shitty those hangovers were really making me feel. I'm saving a ton of cash too, since I was buying premium high-alcohol stuff almost every day that was $10/six pack.
Motox627!
4/23/2019 9:35am
Motox627! wrote:
That's awesome man! Sorry to hear about death in the family. Deaths and funerals are another drinky occasion. When I was drinking a lot, good days...
That's awesome man! Sorry to hear about death in the family. Deaths and funerals are another drinky occasion. When I was drinking a lot, good days were an excuse to drink, and bad days- the same thing.
I'm at about a month (i had two random ones in there - one late night watching moto and another at dinner with a new boss, but stopped after each one. I feel like that is the drinker I wanted to be. I don't recommend that approach for a true clinical alcoholic.).
The benefits to quitting so far outweigh the negatives, it's ridiculous. I feel effing great in the mornings now, instead of taking 2-3 hours to start feeling right. I never quite realized how shitty those hangovers were really making me feel. I'm saving a ton of cash too, since I was buying premium high-alcohol stuff almost every day that was $10/six pack.
Agreed dude and congrats! I went riding on Sat and man, i can not even tell you how amazed i was at the difference! I used to show up to the track with some sort of hangover and literally could only do about 4-5 fast laps before crippling arm pump set in and i was done for. And i could only usually do about 4-5 of those 4-5 lap sessions and i was out of energy for the day, or more realistically - looking forward to getting home and drinking cold beer while i washed the bike. This time, i literally went thru a tank and a half of gas and everyone i ride with commented on not only how much longer i was staying out, but how much faster i was than normal. If feeling better, no more problems at home, and saving money weren't enough - getting to ride more and riding better takes the cake!!
Sierra Ranger
4/23/2019 10:43am
Motox627! wrote:
That's awesome man! Sorry to hear about death in the family. Deaths and funerals are another drinky occasion. When I was drinking a lot, good days...
Motox627! wrote:
Agreed dude and congrats! I went riding on Sat and man, i can not even tell you how amazed i was at the difference! I used...
Agreed dude and congrats! I went riding on Sat and man, i can not even tell you how amazed i was at the difference! I used to show up to the track with some sort of hangover and literally could only do about 4-5 fast laps before crippling arm pump set in and i was done for. And i could only usually do about 4-5 of those 4-5 lap sessions and i was out of energy for the day, or more realistically - looking forward to getting home and drinking cold beer while i washed the bike. This time, i literally went thru a tank and a half of gas and everyone i ride with commented on not only how much longer i was staying out, but how much faster i was than normal. If feeling better, no more problems at home, and saving money weren't enough - getting to ride more and riding better takes the cake!!
X2- the difference on the track was very noticeable! My arms didn't pump at all and I rode so much that pretty much every muscle was sore the next day. Haven't done that in forever. So racers have a little bonus incentive program to quit- roost your buddies!
XXVoid MainXX
4/23/2019 1:43pm
I'm not a quitter.
Well sumbitch. I guess I AM a quitter. I quit drinking on the 11th. Why? Because it was making me really fat and I have to lose a bunch of weight for the upcoming race season. Down 10 pounds so far, would like to get about 50 or 60 more off in the next few months. Going to take the championship this year.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
4/24/2019 2:22am
I'm not a quitter.
Well sumbitch. I guess I AM a quitter. I quit drinking on the 11th. Why? Because it was making me really fat and I have to...
Well sumbitch. I guess I AM a quitter. I quit drinking on the 11th. Why? Because it was making me really fat and I have to lose a bunch of weight for the upcoming race season. Down 10 pounds so far, would like to get about 50 or 60 more off in the next few months. Going to take the championship this year.
Hunt down that red plate buddy. Crossing fingers for you.
XXVoid MainXX
4/24/2019 5:02am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2019 5:03am
I'm not a quitter.
Well sumbitch. I guess I AM a quitter. I quit drinking on the 11th. Why? Because it was making me really fat and I have to...
Hunt down that red plate buddy. Crossing fingers for you.
No red plate for me. This is as far as I go. Been wanting to retire the last few years but just can't bring myself to do it.
Motox627!
4/30/2019 9:41am
Motox627! wrote:
Agreed dude and congrats! I went riding on Sat and man, i can not even tell you how amazed i was at the difference! I used...
X2- the difference on the track was very noticeable! My arms didn't pump at all and I rode so much that pretty much every muscle was...
X2- the difference on the track was very noticeable! My arms didn't pump at all and I rode so much that pretty much every muscle was sore the next day. Haven't done that in forever. So racers have a little bonus incentive program to quit- roost your buddies!
52 Days today dude! How you holding up?
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
4/30/2019 9:58am
One of the interesting aspects of avoiding alcohol is how it affects social functions. People probably think Im less fun sober. But I’ve learned how to...
One of the interesting aspects of avoiding alcohol is how it affects social functions.

People probably think Im less fun sober. But I’ve learned how to have fun sober so I dont miss the alcohol. They havent learned how to have fun with the sober version of me. That’s not my problem.

On the flip side, as time has gone on I dont find the drunk versions of my friends very fun either. Even worse is being around drunk people I dont know or care for.

It’ll probably cost me income over time. So much business at the executive level is done over a drink. I know that my disdain for cocaine has cost me MANY financial opportunities in life. That sucks but I cannot imagine the alternative. No amount of financial success was gonna be worth going down that path in life.

Ultimately Im very comfortable in my own skin. Which only amplifies the “problem” with partaking in social functions where alcohol is the lubricant. Considering that most people are drinking so they can feel more secure, my natural security only makes them feel more insecure.

I’ll never suggest to anyone that sobriety is necessarily a easy path. In all the ways it makes life better, it makes things tougher when our culture is so dependent on mind altering substances.
Ive been sober 5+ years and it is difficult and different at timrs , and in saying difficult for me its not a craving at all its the social aspect as you mentioned ive lost friends just because without that we had nothing in common anymore.
And i Kinda miss that being drunk makes doing nothing fun,
You can Sit in a garage doing nothing and its fun with alchohol.
But im glad i quit it was totally by choice. And now i feel like i think much more clearly even when i wasn't drinking i was in a cloud so to speak, and i have much more clarity and belief that i am capable of a lot more success. Wich is a great feeling.
jeffro503
5/1/2019 10:48am
Well, I wasn't going to do a bunch of updates, but I had to share my experience riding for the first time after getting clean from...
Right on man! I told you about a month ago...." wait until you reach the 3 week mark! "

I'm about 9 weeks sober now and am loving it. I'm not saying I'll quit it 100% forever , but I'm done with having beer in my fridge. About 2 weeks ago ( on a friday night ) after working about 10 hours , I swung by the store and bought two beer's. I drank 1.5 and poured the last half beer down the drain. It didn't taste as good as I remembered , and it made me tired as hell. I felt guilty for doing it , but I felt like having a couple. And again , it was about two weeks ago and I haven't had another one since , nor do I really want one. I dig the way I feel right now , and the few hours of getting buzzed , doesn't out weigh the other 22 hours of feeling great without it. I'm glad I nipped this problem in the bud before it really became a problem!
jeffro503
5/1/2019 10:52am
Motox627! wrote:
Motox627! wrote:
That is awesome to hear man! Your experience seems to resemble mine pretty closely. Keep it up dude!
Motox627!
5/1/2019 12:11pm
Motox627! wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
That is awesome to hear man! Your experience seems to resemble mine pretty closely. Keep it up dude!
Thanks Jeffro! Today is day 53 (not sure why i am even keeping track) but its almost a personal challenge at this point to see how long i can go. The physical and mental changes that have happened are still tripping me out. Not that i was a raging drunk, in fact i hardly ever got "drunk" just always drank beer - but my body and mind are clearly much more happy without!
Sierra Ranger
5/11/2019 11:47am
Motox627! wrote:
X2- the difference on the track was very noticeable! My arms didn't pump at all and I rode so much that pretty much every muscle was...
Motox627! wrote:
I struggled a bit, bro! After the honeymoon period of non-drinking wore off with my wife, she started really hammering me again (She has convinced herself I am cheating on her- I'm not and there is literally nothing going on). We have massive marital problems and are pretty much separated living in the same house (we have a girl going on 5 so it's really, really tough). It's really hard not to say "eff it" and have a couple of beers when life is going so bad anyways- that's the trap.
I managed to go riding a couple weeks ago and stupidly decided I deserved a cider, so I bought one and drank it. When I got home I walked in the door and she instantly smelled it (her nose is something else)-- bad, bad scene. I completely screwed up and destroyed all the good will and trust I had built by not drinking.
But I am committed once again and realized it's gotta be out of my life 100%. So I am focused on that, getting healthy and repairing the damage in my life. Honestly, all I want is to get my life stable enough so I can ride! Woohoo
One realization is that just because I quit doesn't mean life is gonna be a breeze. But I can at least not make things worse...This thread has actually been huge in helping me stay committed.
NvHermit
Fantasy
4326th
5/11/2019 6:57pm
After a week of hard partying during Mammoth I decided on the drive home that I was gonna stop for a month, that was 2005. I wish I would of stopped earlier but I didn't know I could, it wasn't easy but it let me realize I was in control of my life. I still like to get a buzz so I use cannabis, it's not as strong as liquor and no hangover.
Mr. G
5/11/2019 9:57pm
Really interesting hearing about arm pump and alcohol. It's funny but those two years or so where I drank a 12 pack or a gallon of wine every night and started to notice in my construction job how I would get cramps like crazy! Especially coming from a background in weight lifting where I would routinely go to failure with no cramps. Been trying to figure this out to no avail but in reading this post, it has to be the cause. Thanks to all who mentioned this aspect. I will report back
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/12/2019 10:06am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2019 10:56am
Mr. G wrote:
Really interesting hearing about arm pump and alcohol. It's funny but those two years or so where I drank a 12 pack or a gallon of...
Really interesting hearing about arm pump and alcohol. It's funny but those two years or so where I drank a 12 pack or a gallon of wine every night and started to notice in my construction job how I would get cramps like crazy! Especially coming from a background in weight lifting where I would routinely go to failure with no cramps. Been trying to figure this out to no avail but in reading this post, it has to be the cause. Thanks to all who mentioned this aspect. I will report back
I noticed that when I gave up any booze for a while all my cramping went away, but I think that has more to do with drinking water or coffee 24/7.

I limit my beer intake (only coors light) to Friday night or Saturday these days, but even those days are numbered because I have an addictive personality like most of you have mentioned and it is always all or nothing to the point I wouldn't remember anything that happened that evening. My body just won't process the alcohol/sugar well anymore. Never got your traditional hangovers, I would just have a very elevated heart rate (like the thing was going to pop out of my chest) and the shakes, and couldn't concentrate for the life of me, just wanted to sleep.

I went at it hard for a good 10 years from 35-45, and what a waste it was looking back. My industry is VERY social interaction based, and it almost always revolves around meeting up for drinks after work, so that makes it difficult as well.

Only thing I have learned that is a constant is, if you are an alcoholic, there is no way to keep moving forward by doing anything more than taking sobriety day by day.
Sierra Ranger
5/12/2019 11:08am
Mr. G wrote:
Really interesting hearing about arm pump and alcohol. It's funny but those two years or so where I drank a 12 pack or a gallon of...
I just did a little googling at it appears alcohol increases lactic acid, which caused arm pump, along with depriving muscles of hydration. So it's not too surprising it makes arm pump worse!
XXVoid MainXX
5/12/2019 12:15pm
Well here I am a month later. I "paused" drinking about a month ago for the sole reason of losing some pounds. I'm down 15 pounds with a lot more to go so I have to stay off the beer. People ask me if I feel better after losing some weight. Me: Fuck no, I feel much better after a couple of well placed IPAs! And that's the truth. It's not like I am addicted to alcohol. I don't feel the urge to drink. But, if it weren't for it packing on the pounds I would still be drinking a few per day at minimum, just because it numbs the old man pains.
Motox627!
5/13/2019 6:54am
Motox627! wrote:
I struggled a bit, bro! After the honeymoon period of non-drinking wore off with my wife, she started really hammering me again (She has convinced herself...
I struggled a bit, bro! After the honeymoon period of non-drinking wore off with my wife, she started really hammering me again (She has convinced herself I am cheating on her- I'm not and there is literally nothing going on). We have massive marital problems and are pretty much separated living in the same house (we have a girl going on 5 so it's really, really tough). It's really hard not to say "eff it" and have a couple of beers when life is going so bad anyways- that's the trap.
I managed to go riding a couple weeks ago and stupidly decided I deserved a cider, so I bought one and drank it. When I got home I walked in the door and she instantly smelled it (her nose is something else)-- bad, bad scene. I completely screwed up and destroyed all the good will and trust I had built by not drinking.
But I am committed once again and realized it's gotta be out of my life 100%. So I am focused on that, getting healthy and repairing the damage in my life. Honestly, all I want is to get my life stable enough so I can ride! Woohoo
One realization is that just because I quit doesn't mean life is gonna be a breeze. But I can at least not make things worse...This thread has actually been huge in helping me stay committed.
I came to the same realization as well dude. Yea, life is better without it - but it definitely doesn't just magically make everything better or ALL your problems disappear. We are looking at buying another house and its got to be one of the most stressful things we have done together in a long time. I thought selling our last house was stressful, but i clearly just drank away that stress. This time, with no alcohol to do that with - its driving me crazy. There has been more than a few occasions lately where i wanted to just have a couple to relax a bit. I didn't, but really fucking wanted to. Its just to the point its not worth it. Even if i only have a few, its going to piss off the wife, disappoint my daughter and just make me feel like shit. Which, to be honest, sometimes pisses me off even more lol. Best of luck to you as it sounds like you have some other issues to deal with marriage wise (we've all been there). But, like you said - you can help make it not worse by not drinking...…
Sierra Ranger
5/13/2019 9:48am
Motox627! wrote:
I struggled a bit, bro! After the honeymoon period of non-drinking wore off with my wife, she started really hammering me again (She has convinced herself...
Motox627! wrote:
I came to the same realization as well dude. Yea, life is better without it - but it definitely doesn't just magically make everything better or...
I came to the same realization as well dude. Yea, life is better without it - but it definitely doesn't just magically make everything better or ALL your problems disappear. We are looking at buying another house and its got to be one of the most stressful things we have done together in a long time. I thought selling our last house was stressful, but i clearly just drank away that stress. This time, with no alcohol to do that with - its driving me crazy. There has been more than a few occasions lately where i wanted to just have a couple to relax a bit. I didn't, but really fucking wanted to. Its just to the point its not worth it. Even if i only have a few, its going to piss off the wife, disappoint my daughter and just make me feel like shit. Which, to be honest, sometimes pisses me off even more lol. Best of luck to you as it sounds like you have some other issues to deal with marriage wise (we've all been there). But, like you said - you can help make it not worse by not drinking...…
Hang in there, dude! That beer will make you feel good for about 15 minutes but the shitty feeling will last much longer. That's the way I look at it- yeah, it's fun to say fuck it and disappear into the beer, but it's a question of whether it's worth it. Things are improving on my end- my wife is clearly pissed at me for the past few years. It's tough to make that self-assessment and make the change but there is no other option- one day at a time!
Motox627!
5/13/2019 12:01pm
Motox627! wrote:
I came to the same realization as well dude. Yea, life is better without it - but it definitely doesn't just magically make everything better or...
Hang in there, dude! That beer will make you feel good for about 15 minutes but the shitty feeling will last much longer. That's the way...
Hang in there, dude! That beer will make you feel good for about 15 minutes but the shitty feeling will last much longer. That's the way I look at it- yeah, it's fun to say fuck it and disappear into the beer, but it's a question of whether it's worth it. Things are improving on my end- my wife is clearly pissed at me for the past few years. It's tough to make that self-assessment and make the change but there is no other option- one day at a time!
Well, to be honest - if you are like me - she has a right to be. I recently started thinking about things i did or said while drinking and thought how pissed i would have been if the shoe was on the other foot...… And she put up with that shit for years. She has definitely voiced her appreciation for the "new me" which makes me really realize how shitty of a person i must have been at times. I'm sure your wife will come around like mine has, but no doubt its going to take some time. Fuck - i had a pretty good run of about 10 years of steady drinking, so i sure as shit expect her to be gun shy as I'm sure yours is.....
NvHermit
Fantasy
4326th
5/13/2019 7:58pm
The "one day at a time" approach wasn't for me, it meant I had to deal with it everyday. I just told myself I was done and that I "used to drink" (repeated often) and I just never drank again.
greenmx5
5/15/2019 4:53am
Each day without it makes it easier not to go back. It's easy to say "I can just do one tonight" and that turns into 6. But the longer you go without, the less you even think about it or it crosses your mind. Then you start to feel better physically and mentally and it makes you realize the negative it was putting on your body. After fully detoxing it from your body, it'll make you not want to go back again.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
5/15/2019 12:18pm
greenmx5 wrote:
Each day without it makes it easier not to go back. It's easy to say "I can just do one tonight" and that turns into 6...
Each day without it makes it easier not to go back. It's easy to say "I can just do one tonight" and that turns into 6. But the longer you go without, the less you even think about it or it crosses your mind. Then you start to feel better physically and mentally and it makes you realize the negative it was putting on your body. After fully detoxing it from your body, it'll make you not want to go back again.
I agree 100%
I drank Really Heavy all through my 20's and looking back
Now i feel like i was in a fog, now im focusing on trying to be successful and i feel so much more clear mentally.
And better physically
And setting goals wich even something as simple as that i wasnt doing.
Im in my early 40's so im kind of a late study.
The same thing works with Eating healthy to , the First 2 days is the hardest, and the whole first week is Hard
But your Cravings for the sweets and Junk food starts to go away and you stop thinking about it also.
I still eat sweets occasionally which are my kryptonite.
But its amazing how much less you crave it if you Eat a Keto for a full Week.

Post a reply to: Who has quit drinking and why?

The Latest