Who has quit drinking and why?

akillerwombat
4/1/2019 9:24am
Seven days clear today- I don't plan on a bunch of updates. But I wanted people to know it's possible to just put it down. Wife...
Seven days clear today- I don't plan on a bunch of updates. But I wanted people to know it's possible to just put it down.
Wife is thrilled- things aren't perfect. But there is a lot more harmony and I feel a world better physically. I don't miss it- my biggest piece of advice is get a substitute and drink that. For me it's hibiscus tea, as unmanly as that sounds. The negatives so far outweighed the positives from drinking, it's ridiculous. Thanks to those who chimed in with their experiences, I read every response, and it helped a lot.
Congrats man.

I haven't quit drinking (never had an issue with it, I'm more of a weed guy) but my dad finally just gave up drinking so I know it's no easy feat.
Motox627!
4/1/2019 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/2/2019 1:23pm
Seven days clear today- I don't plan on a bunch of updates. But I wanted people to know it's possible to just put it down. Wife...
Seven days clear today- I don't plan on a bunch of updates. But I wanted people to know it's possible to just put it down.
Wife is thrilled- things aren't perfect. But there is a lot more harmony and I feel a world better physically. I don't miss it- my biggest piece of advice is get a substitute and drink that. For me it's hibiscus tea, as unmanly as that sounds. The negatives so far outweighed the positives from drinking, it's ridiculous. Thanks to those who chimed in with their experiences, I read every response, and it helped a lot.
Congrats man! First week is the hardest, but it does get easier - much easier. After riding on Saturday, one of my buddies cracked a beer while putting in a dip (2 things that i have recently quit) and the smell about drove me crazy i wanted both! Kept drinking my water and reminding myself why i quit both in the first place and it was no big deal. Wife asked me this weekend when i am going to cover the Coors Light on my new graphics......lol

4/1/2019 4:39pm
This is easily one of the best threads in Vital history IMO.

It’s civil, real, powerful, informative, and some people here have really opened up about some deeply personal shit.

I wasn’t expecting this sorta outcome for a topic like this. Anyone who loves alcohol could read it, feel judged, and lash out. Sobriety can often be as volatile as any other topic.

Well done y’all.
jeffro503
4/1/2019 4:56pm
Congrat's on that dude! Wait until you hit the 3 week mark! That's when I really noticed a major improvement on a lot of things I was dealing with. Digestion problems , lack of sleep , dry joints , energy levels grew. I hit my 5 week mark just yesterday , and I don't miss it all. First couple weeks I was kind of craving that beer after work , especially on a hard work day , but not any more. Stick with it man!

The Shop

Sierra Ranger
4/2/2019 9:59am
Motox627! wrote:
Congrats man! First week is the hardest, but it does get easier - much easier. After riding on Saturday, one of my buddies cracked a beer...
Congrats man! First week is the hardest, but it does get easier - much easier. After riding on Saturday, one of my buddies cracked a beer while putting in a dip (2 things that i have recently quit) and the smell about drove me crazy i wanted both! Kept drinking my water and reminding myself why i quit both in the first place and it was no big deal. Wife asked me this weekend when i am going to cover the Coors Light on my new graphics......lol

Good job not joining in- I don't have a crew of drinking buds like I used to, which would make it twice as hard. When I think about drinking, I just think about the headaches, the bad moods, the dehydration and the reduced self-esteem, not the very temporary good-feeling "buzz." I'm riding high on the feeling of increased physical and mental purity right now, but I assume that honeymoon period will wear off a bit. You will feel a lot more centered without constantly dealing with a hangover and be faster on the track. Life just seems a bit easier, not harder, without alcohol. Good luck!
newmann
4/2/2019 10:17am
We left some beer in the fridge at the Houston SX this past weekend. Lots of youngsters with us this year.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
4/2/2019 11:34am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I don't drink daily but I do occasionally binge. It's a problem and for me it's looking like I need to cut it out completely. It's...
I don't drink daily but I do occasionally binge. It's a problem and for me it's looking like I need to cut it out completely. It's difficult for me to stop once I start. I drink to get drunk, no other reason.
Exactly my problem, I'm on the wagon most of the week, I generally drink Wednesday and Friday evenings...I see no point in a couple drinks and tend to rip the ring out of it when I do drink.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
4/2/2019 11:40am
Well done brutha, ain't easy but sure is worth it.
mx617
4/2/2019 12:51pm
Been keeping an eye on this thread. Wife has been bugging me about my drinking a bit as well. I'm the opposite of Boomslang, very very rarely will I get blazing drunk. But I'll easily have 5-6 beers or a bottle of wine 6 days a week. So we made an agreement to be booze free during the week and keep it to friday/saturday nights. Big thing for me was I started to notice how I was starting to plan around drinking. How can I get a drink at XX event. What do I have booked tomorrow and how does that dictate how much I can drink tonight? etc. That wasn't a good feeling.
Sierra Ranger
4/2/2019 2:31pm
newmann wrote:
We left some beer in the fridge at the Houston SX this past weekend. Lots of youngsters with us this year.
Nothing wrong with responsible drinking. Cheers! I'm not down on alcohol, but it tends to make me go overboard.
ocscottie
4/2/2019 5:31pm
"Seven days clear today" Well done bro! One day at a time, you can do this.
gnarwhip
4/2/2019 7:21pm
I used to drink a lot of whiskey and it caused a lot of problems. I have since switched to Coors Light and red wine, and it’s all good now. Everything in moderation.
4/2/2019 11:19pm
gnarwhip wrote:
I used to drink a lot of whiskey and it caused a lot of problems. I have since switched to Coors Light and red wine, and...
I used to drink a lot of whiskey and it caused a lot of problems. I have since switched to Coors Light and red wine, and it’s all good now. Everything in moderation.
Saying “moderation” implies that a person is in control.

The very nature of any addiction & the key to sobriety is acceptance that you’re not in control.

None of us are in control of whether addiction affects us or not. Genetics play a massive role. As well as trauma.

Lastly, we’d never suggest heroine, crack, or meth in “moderation”. Alcohol has a rich history of destroying lives. Enough so that it deserves respect for the destructive substance that it is just like any other narcotic.

Sorry to get all preachy. I know you meant well in your post. But suggesting moderation to anyone who might be struggling with addiction is really bad advice.
Motox627!
4/3/2019 6:37am
Counted the days this morning and it appears today is day # 25 with zero alcohol. Funny thing is that about 2 years ago i was diagnosed with pretty severe acid reflux and was taking heartburn medicine every morning. Well, i ran out about a week and a half ago and have not bought anymore, and no acid reflux. Crazy the affects that alcohol has on the body that you just accept it or take something to counter act the effects...……
newmann
4/3/2019 11:09am
gnarwhip wrote:
I used to drink a lot of whiskey and it caused a lot of problems. I have since switched to Coors Light and red wine, and...
Saying “moderation” implies that a person is in control. The very nature of any addiction & the key to sobriety is acceptance that you’re not in...

The very nature of any addiction & the key to sobriety is acceptance that you’re not in control.

None of us are in control of whether addiction affects us or not. Genetics play a massive role. As well as trauma.

Lastly, we’d never suggest heroine, crack, or meth in “moderation”. Alcohol has a rich history of destroying lives. Enough so that it deserves respect for the destructive substance that it is just like any other narcotic.

Sorry to get all preachy. I know you meant well in your post. But suggesting moderation to anyone who might be struggling with addiction is really bad advice.
So genetics plays a strong role in how alcohol affects people as long as we aren't talking keto? Because there we are all the same, right? I'm working my way down a size in pants just by cutting back on my soda intake. Still drink some, in moderation...

Alcohol, as soon as I find a couple of "go to " bourbons and scotch, I'll cut back even more on that. Been sampling a few different ones trying to find the right ones. Tequila, that moderates itself because I find myself going back to the more expensive ones and I only drink tequila in margaritas. Don't even care to sip on some 1942 and hard to bring myself to drink $20.00 home made margaritas! Beer, always have some Shiner bock in the fridge. A 12 pack goes a pretty long way unless company comes over.

I've never let anything come before paying my bills, even when it requires selling off all my motorcycles. Everything has always been secondary to the family or house, no way could I ever turn my back on those. Two jobs, three jobs, eat on the cheap, whatever it takes. No such thing as time off so never have I had work in moderation. Getting close to some early semi retirement so I'll hopefully have plenty of time to play then.
IWreckALot
4/3/2019 12:58pm
newmann wrote:
So genetics plays a strong role in how alcohol affects people as long as we aren't talking keto? Because there we are all the same, right...
So genetics plays a strong role in how alcohol affects people as long as we aren't talking keto? Because there we are all the same, right? I'm working my way down a size in pants just by cutting back on my soda intake. Still drink some, in moderation...

Alcohol, as soon as I find a couple of "go to " bourbons and scotch, I'll cut back even more on that. Been sampling a few different ones trying to find the right ones. Tequila, that moderates itself because I find myself going back to the more expensive ones and I only drink tequila in margaritas. Don't even care to sip on some 1942 and hard to bring myself to drink $20.00 home made margaritas! Beer, always have some Shiner bock in the fridge. A 12 pack goes a pretty long way unless company comes over.

I've never let anything come before paying my bills, even when it requires selling off all my motorcycles. Everything has always been secondary to the family or house, no way could I ever turn my back on those. Two jobs, three jobs, eat on the cheap, whatever it takes. No such thing as time off so never have I had work in moderation. Getting close to some early semi retirement so I'll hopefully have plenty of time to play then.
I make beer in moderation. We limited our production to 25 gallons a t a time. Any more is just gluttony.

4/3/2019 1:52pm
gnarwhip wrote:
Saying “moderation” implies that a person is in control. The very nature of any addiction & the key to sobriety is acceptance that you’re not in...

newmann wrote:
So genetics plays a strong role in how alcohol affects people as long as we aren't talking keto? Because there we are all the same, right...

Genetics play a role in everything.

Genetics affect your threshold for addiction to drugs. Just like some are born with better livers than others.

That doesn’t change the fact that both alcohol & sugar are abusive to the liver. We all have the same reaction to alcohol (getting drunk) but different variables affect the severity. But the basic functions are still the same.

With enough abuse anyone can become a drug addict. With enough abuse anyone can create a diabetic state. As was the case with me. You could say I was born with “good” genetics in that my body handled carb abuse better than most. That doesn’t mean Im “different” in that carbs are good for me. My liver still had a reaction to high glycemic foods. And after many years, the abuse took its toll.

Did I inherit the alcoholism that runs in my family? Apparently not. Does that mean alcohol in moderation isnt doing damage to my body? Of course not. It’s damaging, I get drunk like anyone else, and abuse would probably lead to easy alcoholism. My leash is longer, that’s all.
newmann
4/3/2019 3:18pm
newmann wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
I make beer in moderation. We limited our production to 25 gallons a t a time. Any more is just gluttony. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/03/335969/s1200_Brew_Kettle.jpg[/img]
I make beer in moderation. We limited our production to 25 gallons a t a time. Any more is just gluttony.

I did a few 5 gallon box kits, turned out pretty damn good. Gave most of it away. Had fun, bought some more kits and then we flooded. No more fun after that but still want to try a few more one day. Wife made some wine, gave it all away. Got some good reviews back from it so maybe I should have tried some. It was all sweet fruity low alcohol stuff so it didn't get my attention.
IWreckALot
4/3/2019 6:19pm
newmann wrote:
I did a few 5 gallon box kits, turned out pretty damn good. Gave most of it away. Had fun, bought some more kits and then...
I did a few 5 gallon box kits, turned out pretty damn good. Gave most of it away. Had fun, bought some more kits and then we flooded. No more fun after that but still want to try a few more one day. Wife made some wine, gave it all away. Got some good reviews back from it so maybe I should have tried some. It was all sweet fruity low alcohol stuff so it didn't get my attention.
I’ve given a little consideration to wine. Sounds like you under-pitched the yeast or it wasn’t healthy in the wine. That’ll lead to low alcohol and sweet. Same with beer.
Motox627!
4/5/2019 8:21am
With the weekend upon us, just wanted to say "stay strong" to those that are trying to quit or cut back! Hope everyone has a good weekend!
4/5/2019 8:18pm
Great thread, if I make it until June it will be 13 yrs! Without a drop,no buying rounds for people I don’t know ?, lap dances at strip clubs etc..lol. For me it is nothing but trouble. My life now is amazing, filled with true friends the kind of people I never thought I would meet. I used to only hang with people who ripped it up,made bad decisions,blamed the world for their station in life and “bad breaks”..in short people who were just like me!
I had to change everything from the ground up beginning with faith in and trust of a higher power.
All I can say is anyone who is trying to quit is that you can do it and that the gifts you receive will amaze you.
This is also my second go around with this. In my mid 20s I gave it up for 8 yrs but didn’t stay stopped, thought that because I was a older,married and had achieved some amount of success maybe I was over reacting on the drinking stuff... boy was I wrong..in a couple short yrs it owned me..now I never missed work , had employees etc , but when I’m drinking all my decisions seem to be bad and always center around feeding my ego.
Took about 4 yrs to hit bottom and was lucky to still have my wife and family.
This time is completely different, I do this with other people doing the same thing as me, getting through all of life’s emotions without a drink or a drug, now that makes me one weird fucker in this country ?
Greatful is something I feel every day
FIREfish148
4/6/2019 1:52am
I’ve never had a problem with drinking but I have a hard time not finishing a 6 pack the same night I buy it. I feel disciplined if i still have one left over the next day but then it’s almost like... Damn, I only got one!? Shit, I guess I do have a problem with drinking, I just keep it at bay. I have more of a problem with chewing tobacco, since I was 18 i’ve quit and started probably 10-15 times.

Also smoking weed has been hard for me in the past to not over indulge in so that’s another reason why I try not to start up on drinking frequently. Bad habits can be a bitch to get over. My worst is for sure staying up till the wee morning. Been doing it since like 2008. I think it’s mostly my nihilistic attitude like “what difference does it make?” that keeps me from changing.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
4/6/2019 11:12am
I need to cut back. I'm loosing my patience really quick on people I care about. I have a tough job that is physical, dangerous, long hours and swing shift night/days. One thing I look forward to is cold beer when I get off. After 14 hour days, its something I like.

The problem is I work 4 days then have 4 days off, so my off time is where my beer intake goes through the roof. If I have a few to many, it just sucks the fun out of riding the next day. The performance decrease is pretty damn noticeable. I eat clean, work out and at 40 years old I can count my abs, but at this point the high volume of beer on my days off is starting to get in the way if that makes any sense.

I've cut way back before and it was great. Even the beers I had seemed to taste way better.

Time for a change.

Cool thread.
4/6/2019 12:34pm
About 7 months ago I lost the love of my life due in
part to my drinking. I don’t get rude or belligerent when I drink, but she wasn’t willing to invest in a future with someone who drank as much as I did. One night I was drinking and there was a little bit of drama and she said she wouldn’t have anything to do with me any longer. I still think about her everyday, and what I lost. So what did I do when she left? I drank to numb myself.

She’s moved on and is with someone else who doesn’t drink. Nothing good comes from abusing alcohol. It doesn’t just hurt the ones drinking, but it hurts the ones around us as well.
navalseabee
4/6/2019 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2019 3:34pm
Most of my adult life has been spent in a very alcohol friendly/enabling environment. I can recall a distinct moment in time where I felt like I needed alcohol. My brain was telling me I needed to drink even though I didn't want to. Fortunately I was able to identify that as an issue, so many people don't. Good luck man.
rhargrave431
4/8/2019 3:54am
One of the better threads on vital. So much positivity and support. Keep it up fellas
mikec265
4/8/2019 6:40am
avidchimp wrote:
The new Heineken 0.0 "beer" is an awesome alternative. All the taste, no alcohol, and the bottle is almost identical to a regular one.
I used to drink the Busch and Labatt Blue NA with meals sometimes. I pretty much don't even want that anymore. I've switched to seltzer water that only has carbonated water and natural flavors in it. 6.5 years sober and the physical habit is still there.

Used to be in the bar every night, and would prime my pump with my kegerator. Just drank the cheapest shit to get the most booze for my buck.
I used to feel like I was missing out on something if I didn't go out at night. Instead I missed out on a lot of things that actually matter in life. At 34 I'm definitely doing well, but I feel like I am about 7 years behind where I was capable of being. Alcohol made me pretty worthless for about 16 years. There's shitty days that everyone has, and I know damn well if I touch a drink it will turn my life upside down. These days instead of beer my go tos are caffeine, junk food, and hopefully a piece of ass from my wife. I would like to cut the junk food part out, I'm not gaining weight, but would like to find a positive replacement. Healthy food doesn't do it for me. I'll go a week low to no carb, and screw up for a few days. Usually it's family (inlaw) issues where the same 2 or 3 people want to be a dishonest pieces of shit, then I throw honesty at them and they can't handle the truth.
Sierra Ranger
4/8/2019 10:05am
Markee wrote:
I need to cut back. I'm loosing my patience really quick on people I care about. I have a tough job that is physical, dangerous, long...
I need to cut back. I'm loosing my patience really quick on people I care about. I have a tough job that is physical, dangerous, long hours and swing shift night/days. One thing I look forward to is cold beer when I get off. After 14 hour days, its something I like.

The problem is I work 4 days then have 4 days off, so my off time is where my beer intake goes through the roof. If I have a few to many, it just sucks the fun out of riding the next day. The performance decrease is pretty damn noticeable. I eat clean, work out and at 40 years old I can count my abs, but at this point the high volume of beer on my days off is starting to get in the way if that makes any sense.

I've cut way back before and it was great. Even the beers I had seemed to taste way better.

Time for a change.

Cool thread.
I lived this way for 25 years. Think how much of this is marketing and social norms: ("It's Miller time.") The idea that our lives are so hard that we need to get snookered the first chance we get is nothing more than an illusion.
Why not try a goal of quitting for 30 days and see what happens? That way, it doesn't have to have the finality that you will never be able to enjoy a beer again. I don't think everybody that drinks a little too much is an alcoholic. But it will get you started down the road. You will most likely discover it isn't enhancing your life at all.
denrobert19
4/9/2019 10:03pm
I just need some more time to quit. I am doing good progress from being a frequent drinker to occasional drinker when I signed up for Crossfit last month.
AK74
4/10/2019 5:21am
My last alcoholic drink was on 31st December 2007.

I was originally intending to have a 'dry' January, but swiftly realized that I didn't miss wine/spirits/beer sufficiently to start again. I'd not been heavy drinker to that point, so abstinence has been easy. I'm lucky in that I don't need alcohol to relax, as I lead a [relatively] simple life which revolves around my family, my work and my outside interests, and have no stresses to escape from.

I've no problem being in the presence of those who are drinking, and having traveled all-over the world my stance has been almost universally respected without issue (the exception being Russia, where the population actively distrusts anyone who's not heavily lubricated by booze).

To those who are making the first few steps on their personal journeys, good luck. The effort is worthwhile.

Post a reply to: Who has quit drinking and why?

The Latest