Where's the outrage?

1/25/2013 8:30am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2013 3:17am
|
88sdad
1/25/2013 9:15am
Racer92 wrote:
The media is too busy making political hay with their 'scary' Assault Rifle crusade. They hafta strike while the iron is hot, and keep fear hyped...
The media is too busy making political hay with their 'scary' Assault Rifle crusade. They hafta strike while the iron is hot, and keep fear hyped up to a fever pitch !
I'm trading a couple of my pistols for a 45 like this one. It don't look very scary though, is there a black paint I can spray it with?

jtomasik
1/25/2013 9:19am
I'm curious why oldfart isn't raising a shitstorm over the weapons ban. Mr. Constitution himself should be sticking up for the 2nd amendment, right?
1/25/2013 10:22am
jtomasik wrote:
I'm curious why oldfart isn't raising a shitstorm over the weapons ban. Mr. Constitution himself should be sticking up for the 2nd amendment, right?
He LEFT the building.

The Shop

1/25/2013 10:24am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2013 10:25am
Racer92 wrote:
The media is too busy making political hay with their 'scary' Assault Rifle crusade. They hafta strike while the iron is hot, and keep fear hyped...
The media is too busy making political hay with their 'scary' Assault Rifle crusade. They hafta strike while the iron is hot, and keep fear hyped up to a fever pitch !
88sdad wrote:
I'm trading a couple of my pistols for a 45 like this one. It don't look very scary though, is there a black paint I can...
I'm trading a couple of my pistols for a 45 like this one. It don't look very scary though, is there a black paint I can spray it with?

What kind of pistols you trading? Dang thing looks pretty scary to me! I'm coming to visit you soon man, you got arrowheads and stuff out there?
jtomasik
1/25/2013 10:35am
jtomasik wrote:
He LEFT the building.
I see what you did there.
Racer92
1/25/2013 10:37am
jtomasik wrote:
He LEFT the building.
Crashy knocked one outta the park.

Kudos !
Racer92
1/25/2013 10:39am
88sdad wrote:
I'm trading a couple of my pistols for a 45 like this one. It don't look very scary though, is there a black paint I can...

Just get a Taurus PT-1911 in black. My son has one and loves it.

jtomasik
1/25/2013 10:51am
So, I'm thinking of getting a handgun (or 2). Not going to use it for anything other than personal protection when backpacking or at home. What's got a really good kick to it, without draining the bank?
Racer92
1/25/2013 10:55am
jtomasik wrote:
So, I'm thinking of getting a handgun (or 2). Not going to use it for anything other than personal protection when backpacking or at home. What's...
So, I'm thinking of getting a handgun (or 2). Not going to use it for anything other than personal protection when backpacking or at home. What's got a really good kick to it, without draining the bank?
Follow this and you can get a great deal on a good 1911

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Taurus+Pt-1911
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
1/25/2013 11:07am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2013 11:08am
These new HK 45 tacticals are supposed to be really nice.
I've been trying to find a HK Mark23 Socom locally for a while now and guys want like close to 3k for them with everything.
Just waiting for the right deal.
https://youtu.be/01FJinVUx74
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
1/25/2013 11:16am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2013 11:16am
jtomasik wrote:
So, I'm thinking of getting a handgun (or 2). Not going to use it for anything other than personal protection when backpacking or at home. What's...
Racer92 wrote:
Follow this and you can get a great deal on a good 1911

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Taurus+Pt-1911
Check out this Colt Marine. Spendy but looks great.
https://youtu.be/By-qa90ZXaI
4stroke4DWIN
1/25/2013 12:28pm
jtomasik wrote:
44 mag lol. That ought to have plenty of kick. Plus if you miss and run out of ammo you could beat them to a pulp.
4stroke4DWIN
1/25/2013 12:34pm
Also I just bought a ruger 10/22 and did the ARCANGEL conversion, Has a folding tach stock so it could fit in a back/camping pack quite easily. Has the larger mag so it looks like a 556. As long as they don't notice the pea size hole in the end of the barrel should be ez to scare off muggers or weirdos.
zehn
1/25/2013 6:22pm
.45 ACP isn't your best choice when it comes to personal protection when camping, hiking, etc. Doesn't have a whole lotta punch to it. However it does make a great round for the range.

I know of many people up here in Alaska who use Glock 10mm's for protection. They seem to work quite well. To be honest though, if a 1500 lb Kodiak is charging you, I can't think of a single handgun that will stop it guaranteed. A .44 mag is about as good as it gets I would think.
1/25/2013 6:38pm
Reread the posts. The .44 mag was incapable of stopping a bear who was shot point blank by hunters in their tents. They got off the shots and hit the beast, but he was still able to kill both of them before expiring. The .454 Casull has a rifle primer designed for velocity and penetration in a small package (handgun) useful for accessibility on the trail or for under the pillow in the tent. The lead story describes the harrowing situation of a toothless bear who was shot with the Casull (not all shots hit the bear) and managed to STILL reach the shooter before falling DOA. Reread that story. The shotgun with a hardcast slug is, by native Alaskan opinon, an experienced choice. My carry gun would be the Benelli M4, semi-auto loaded hot with Breneke or Dixie slug HC (7 rounds) on a sling. The slug may not over penetrate but will go deep into the animal causing phenomenal tissue destruction and energy dispursement, both of which will STOP the griz. That weapon can be shot form the hip in a close encounter or one that becomes closer than one would like. They are on you very quickly.

Those guys on that board are serious about their guns, we should send Huck over to school them....
zehn
1/25/2013 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2013 6:54pm
Yep, totally agree about the hardcast slug. The guy asked about handguns, so I tried to address that.

I don't quite get why people love the .45 ACP round for bear protection. Yes it will stop a human in their tracks, (that's what it's designed to do) but I've shot caribou at close range with a 1911-style pistol and it barely fazed them.

Also, when I was younger I was out with a friend and his father camping. A black bear attacked their dog in camp. 1 shot from a .44 mag took it off it's feet and hurt it significantly. One more and it was dead. If it was a grizzly, probably wouldn't have done much
Mr. G
1/25/2013 8:27pm
88sdad wrote:

Racer92 wrote:
Just get a Taurus PT-1911 in black. My son has one and loves it. [img]http://www.freewebs.com/cpnpsinglestackclassic/PT%201911.jpg[/img]
Just get a Taurus PT-1911 in black. My son has one and loves it.

That PT1911 is an incredible deal, if it shoots. How does he like it?
Truckdriver
1/26/2013 8:24am
short outrage on this post wasn't it.

or were you more worried about the press exposure?

was it more important to worry about those affected by the storm, or that the press of the storm was not enough?

Iowan's had a huge flood, followed by some wild storms and tornado's. The loss of life and property was terrible. We got a short blurb on the national news. That was nice, we dug in, got everyone safe. Then rebuilt and went on about our business of feeding you.

Bottom line, give a helping hand to those who want it, and then get out of the way. Let them help themselves, and heal themselves.
jtomasik
1/26/2013 8:38am
short outrage on this post wasn't it. or were you more worried about the press exposure? was it more important to worry about those affected by...
short outrage on this post wasn't it.

or were you more worried about the press exposure?

was it more important to worry about those affected by the storm, or that the press of the storm was not enough?

Iowan's had a huge flood, followed by some wild storms and tornado's. The loss of life and property was terrible. We got a short blurb on the national news. That was nice, we dug in, got everyone safe. Then rebuilt and went on about our business of feeding you.

Bottom line, give a helping hand to those who want it, and then get out of the way. Let them help themselves, and heal themselves.
You need some sort of 'sales' pitch for the media to buy into it. New Orleans was turned into a racist thing, and that sells like crazy, but only if it villainizes the white guy (hey, some of the biggest racist attacks occur in inner cities between Mexican and black gangs, but ya' don't hear much about that). The east coast storm affected popular areas, which was easy to sell. The quiet states in the mid-west don't get much attention, unless it's a Columbine.
88sdad
1/26/2013 6:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2013 6:20pm
I'm not a gun nut, just a regular nut. So I don't know much about this gun except it's better than the two I traded for it.

Anything you guys can tell me about it?

FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
1/26/2013 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2013 7:03pm
88sdad wrote:
I'm not a gun nut, just a regular nut. So I don't know much about this gun except it's better than the two I traded for...
I'm not a gun nut, just a regular nut. So I don't know much about this gun except it's better than the two I traded for it.

It looks like a compact/smaller frame .45 auto with no external hammer.
Great close up knock down power and will leave a good size hole at close range.

What brand & model is that?
It doesn't look like a Kimber Solo.....
It doesn't look like a S&W either ....but the texture on the grip sorta does.
mxb2
1/26/2013 7:22pm
88sdad wrote:
I'm not a gun nut, just a regular nut. So I don't know much about this gun except it's better than the two I traded for...

FastEddy wrote:
It looks like a compact/smaller frame .45 auto with no external hammer. Great close up knock down power and will leave a good size hole at...
It looks like a compact/smaller frame .45 auto with no external hammer.
Great close up knock down power and will leave a good size hole at close range.

What brand & model is that?
It doesn't look like a Kimber Solo.....
It doesn't look like a S&W either ....but the texture on the grip sorta does.
9mm s&w 3913?

Post a reply to: Where's the outrage?

The Latest