What's the deal with "Alkaline Water"

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
Edited Date/Time 8/4/2019 10:01pm
Wife started buying it cause she heard it's better for you. It seems to taste pretty good, for water I guess.
What's deal with it ? Anyone know the difference ?
Poll

Alkaline Water

Choices
|
KMC440
8/1/2019 2:42am
When a description of benefits start with "some say" ... I'll lean snake oil every time.
XXVoid MainXX
8/1/2019 4:40am
I don't know about Alkaline Water but I discovered Nestle Splash on the Walmart shelf this past weekend. Now I'm addicted!
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/1/2019 11:01am
Alkaline means it has a pH above 7.0, which is the baseline for water. As you may know, alkaline (or base) is the opposite of acid, so apparently the alkaline water is meant to help balance your internal pH. This assumes you are running an acidic level or a more acidic than normal level at the moment. Your blood should be slightly alkaline to begin with.

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/1/2019 11:04am
(BTW, your body should be regulating this without the need for "special" water, so I voted "not as good for you as regular water.")

The Shop

Kenny Lingus
8/1/2019 4:13pm
It's a fancy way to say hard water, which is just water with high mineral content.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/1/2019 5:37pm
Falcon wrote:
Alkaline means it has a pH above 7.0, which is the baseline for water. As you may know, alkaline (or base) is the opposite of acid...
Alkaline means it has a pH above 7.0, which is the baseline for water. As you may know, alkaline (or base) is the opposite of acid, so apparently the alkaline water is meant to help balance your internal pH. This assumes you are running an acidic level or a more acidic than normal level at the moment. Your blood should be slightly alkaline to begin with.

So if I just drink my own blood I don't have to buy the fancy new water?
SEE ARE125
8/1/2019 5:55pm
Falcon wrote:
Alkaline means it has a pH above 7.0, which is the baseline for water. As you may know, alkaline (or base) is the opposite of acid...

GrapeApe wrote:
That or just take regular water and add a couple tablespoons of bleach.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/1/2019 6:02pm
Falcon wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:
SEE ARE125 wrote:
That or just take regular water and add a couple tablespoons of bleach.
Much better idea, thank you
zehn
8/1/2019 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2019 10:30pm
If you're looking to drink something other than plain water for hydration, coconut water is the still the gold standard. In fact, coconut water is better at hydrating your body than plain water is.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
8/1/2019 9:15pm
It's a fancy way to say hard water, which is just water with high mineral content.
Which is water that exits naturally. All the good stuff is stripped in all that osmosis bullshit. I drink LA County tap water, and have for all my life. Best tap water in the country.

Now, my Dad's well on our property in the Tetons, that is the best water I have ever had anywhere.
8/2/2019 5:47am
It's snake oil. It does not matter if the pH of the water that you drink is slightly alkaline. Your stomach acid with a pH of 1.5 to 3.5 will wipe out any alkalinity in a second.
borg
8/2/2019 5:44pm
I don't even like water unless it has hops and alcohol in it. Some guy on the job brought me a water with some French name or some shit. I went to the hose and took big gulp. No thanks. What is this bullshit of buying water? Fucking stupid. These people that have to be sucking on a plastic bottle all the time. It's as annoying to me as these vaping assholes.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/2/2019 6:14pm
Anyone have, anyone know?
zehn
8/2/2019 7:44pm
borg wrote:
I don't even like water unless it has hops and alcohol in it. Some guy on the job brought me a water with some French name...
I don't even like water unless it has hops and alcohol in it. Some guy on the job brought me a water with some French name or some shit. I went to the hose and took big gulp. No thanks. What is this bullshit of buying water? Fucking stupid. These people that have to be sucking on a plastic bottle all the time. It's as annoying to me as these vaping assholes.
Wow dude you seem really angry about other people having preferences other than your own
borg
8/3/2019 6:31am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2019 6:32am
borg wrote:
I don't even like water unless it has hops and alcohol in it. Some guy on the job brought me a water with some French name...
zehn wrote:
Wow dude you seem really angry about other people having preferences other than your own
I like to exaggerate a bit to stir shit sometimes but apparently nobody takes me too seriously anymore. All the fun has gone out of Vital these days. Thanks for trying to calm me down though. You could have been a little more insulting but given your screen name and all........
8/3/2019 9:38am
The exact same thing I was thinking, only I thought Dood was about to school us on the subject.
SEEMEFIRST
8/4/2019 10:40am
It's snake oil. It does not matter if the pH of the water that you drink is slightly alkaline. Your stomach acid with a pH of...
It's snake oil. It does not matter if the pH of the water that you drink is slightly alkaline. Your stomach acid with a pH of 1.5 to 3.5 will wipe out any alkalinity in a second.
It's not necessarily the PH number that we look for in our water.
We add Magnesium Sulfate, and Potassium Chloride to enhance flavor, and those are 2 chemicals that your body needs. Drinking straight R.O. water strips those from your body as they are naturally attracted to water.

I just tested a bottle off the line at 8.25.
Nighttrain
8/4/2019 12:32pm
I only use distilled water for the batteries in our golf cart. I’m not sure why except a friend/mechanic stressed it.

I try to drink 50% of my body weight in ounces of water during the summer. Plain tap water. Rob Beams, the trainer dude on DMXS, recommended it if you work or exercise outside a lot in the summer.
SEEMEFIRST
8/4/2019 12:46pm
Nighttrain wrote:
I only use distilled water for the batteries in our golf cart. I’m not sure why except a friend/mechanic stressed it. I try to drink 50%...
I only use distilled water for the batteries in our golf cart. I’m not sure why except a friend/mechanic stressed it.

I try to drink 50% of my body weight in ounces of water during the summer. Plain tap water. Rob Beams, the trainer dude on DMXS, recommended it if you work or exercise outside a lot in the summer.
Distilled water has no conductivity so it decreases corrosion in the battery.

Tap water is conducive, and causes galvanic reactions that cause corrosion.
SEEMEFIRST
8/4/2019 10:01pm
Is it weird to miss a real estate guy telling me how to do my water bottle filling job?

I was kinda looking for a fight.

I also decided to look online about our product.
Pretty messed up.
I don't think that I have ever mentioned our product, but like everything else, don't believe everything you read.

I found out that we add salt to make you thirsty.
I also found out that we put in some mineral called "magnesium chlorine". I don't know what that is, but it can't be good.
Then there's the "addiction to Potassium Chloride".
Whoa! Really?
Be careful with that.

Post a reply to: What's the deal with "Alkaline Water"

The Latest