What’s a half decent mountain bike?

Edited Date/Time 3/14/2020 8:28am
Don’t know much about them, I’ve gone through 3 of the best that Walmart has. Dicks sporting goods has GT’s for $450. All I want is Front disc brakes and suspension. Hard tail. Just hitting some hilly back roads and some mild trails for a little cross training.
|
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/1/2020 6:33am
I have bought a couple specialized rockhoppers off Craigslist for about $300-$400. They were all from people who were not really cyclists so they were excellent condition garage dust collectors.
MotoMo165
3/1/2020 9:48am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2020 9:49am
early wrote:
I have bought a couple specialized rockhoppers off Craigslist for about $300-$400. They were all from people who were not really cyclists so they were excellent...
I have bought a couple specialized rockhoppers off Craigslist for about $300-$400. They were all from people who were not really cyclists so they were excellent condition garage dust collectors.
This is your best bet for a hard tail that will be much more capable than any mountain bike from Walmart. Giant talon 3 is a good cheap bike, but the forks are cheap.
I don’t see a mountain bike from dick sporting goods being much better than a Walmart bike haha

Craigslist find would be your best bet. Spend 600 for a used 1200 dollar bike

hillbilly
3/1/2020 9:54am
There's a guy on YouTube that dissect s them all

A cable actuator drop seat is a must

The Shop

wvumounty
3/1/2020 11:23am
Airborne Goblin. Order direct to consumer and excellent components. Read the reviews
wvumounty
3/1/2020 11:56am
By the look of their backpack, this may be a Vet. Should be ashamed of yourself. Do you also take pictures of car accidents and house fires? Grow up dude. That's a human being.
TXDirt
3/1/2020 12:43pm
You can get a decent bike at Sun and Ski Sports or an REI for around $699-899.

I got my wife a Canondale for $650 and it’s amazing. 20 years ago it would have been a $5,000 bike.
APLMAN99
3/1/2020 1:05pm
Most Trek stores I've been to have some pretty decent service.

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/1/2020 4:31pm
1) Skip any big box retailer
2) if buying brand new, go to a local actual bike store
3) Do what Early said and find a much better bike (used) that someone else took the loss on.
FIREfish148
3/1/2020 11:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2020 11:59pm
Your best bet is to pony up a tad more and get something like this https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2701179/

Or this

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2705834/

Not sure how tall you are. You could probably get the trek for 14-1500 and the specialized for... shit I don’t know, but the price listed is way too high I would offer him maybe 700. The trek is a way better spec bike though. Even if you are taller, a smaller bike can be fun to whip around.
DoctorJD
3/2/2020 5:30am
Don’t know much about them, I’ve gone through 3 of the best that Walmart has. Dicks sporting goods has GT’s for $450. All I want is...
Don’t know much about them, I’ve gone through 3 of the best that Walmart has. Dicks sporting goods has GT’s for $450. All I want is Front disc brakes and suspension. Hard tail. Just hitting some hilly back roads and some mild trails for a little cross training.
I hate to say it, but you probably won't be buying new with a sub $500 budget. Best to comb FB Marketplace, eBay, Craigslist, etc.

The other option is to got through something like bikesdirect.com and get a Motobecane (or similar). They've got a full-Shimano build with hydro brakes for $499. I ride occasionally with a guy who rides a Motobecane FS bike, and I'm really impressed with the quality-price ratio.

Homey55
3/2/2020 6:26am
I bought a Raleigh Teocali from REI that has lasted quite well. I think I paid under $700. I used to race expert DH and DS and know my way down a hill. I rode 5 seasons of shuttled DH with that bike and it held up well. I would avoid buying used and buy the best you can with your budget. I would also not buy a full suspension bike priced under $1200.
3/2/2020 9:02am
Don’t know much about them, I’ve gone through 3 of the best that Walmart has. Dicks sporting goods has GT’s for $450. All I want is...
DoctorJD wrote:
I hate to say it, but you probably won't be buying new with a sub $500 budget. Best to comb FB Marketplace, eBay, Craigslist, etc. The...
I hate to say it, but you probably won't be buying new with a sub $500 budget. Best to comb FB Marketplace, eBay, Craigslist, etc.

The other option is to got through something like bikesdirect.com and get a Motobecane (or similar). They've got a full-Shimano build with hydro brakes for $499. I ride occasionally with a guy who rides a Motobecane FS bike, and I'm really impressed with the quality-price ratio.

Oh yeah for sure used, I just don’t know what’s a good brand/model for me, someone above recommended a trek marlin, found one on marketplace used for $400. What’s the equivalent to a used yz125 in mountain bike world lol? I
Guess buying from a box store would be like buying a dirt bike from pep boys lol
rosebud441
3/2/2020 9:15am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2020 10:01am
here ya go.. half a decent bike,,,lol

Titanium
3/2/2020 12:23pm
rosebud441 wrote:
here ya go.. half a decent bike,,,lol [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/03/02/408124/s1200_k1X.jpg[/img]
here ya go.. half a decent bike,,,lol

Half of that Kona Process will set you back $2500! LOL
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/2/2020 1:54pm
X2 (or 3, or 4, etc...) on used. If you can't find a nice used "real" bike, then look at the direct-to-consumer brands (Airborne, Commencal, YT, Canyon,) and find a 2019 if you can.

Interestingly enough, Wal-Mart is actually selling a super-legit hardtail brand now:
https://www.viathonbicycles.com/products/m1-gx-eagle
APLMAN99
3/2/2020 4:07pm
DoctorJD wrote:
I hate to say it, but you probably won't be buying new with a sub $500 budget. Best to comb FB Marketplace, eBay, Craigslist, etc. The...

Oh yeah for sure used, I just don’t know what’s a good brand/model for me, someone above recommended a trek marlin, found one on marketplace used...
Oh yeah for sure used, I just don’t know what’s a good brand/model for me, someone above recommended a trek marlin, found one on marketplace used for $400. What’s the equivalent to a used yz125 in mountain bike world lol? I
Guess buying from a box store would be like buying a dirt bike from pep boys lol
The brand new Trek Marlin 5 I posted the picture of is only $550 brand new. If you ask, they’ll probably throw in the 30 day “tune up” for free. If you find a previous year model equivalent, you may be able to shave a little bit more off the price.

Definitely not “high performance”, but they are solid bikes to put some mileage on if you do any maintenance to them at all.
Foghorn
3/3/2020 7:23am
I'm no serious mountain biker, but my Iron Horse Warrior does everything I've needed it to and didn't break the bank. There are differences though. If you buy one from a Walmart or similar, they are made with cheaper components and are made especially for them.
DoctorJD
3/3/2020 7:48am
DoctorJD wrote:

Oh yeah for sure used, I just don’t know what’s a good brand/model for me, someone above recommended a trek marlin, found one on marketplace used...
APLMAN99 wrote:
The brand new Trek Marlin 5 I posted the picture of is only $550 brand new. If you ask, they’ll probably throw in the 30 day...
The brand new Trek Marlin 5 I posted the picture of is only $550 brand new. If you ask, they’ll probably throw in the 30 day “tune up” for free. If you find a previous year model equivalent, you may be able to shave a little bit more off the price.

Definitely not “high performance”, but they are solid bikes to put some mileage on if you do any maintenance to them at all.
Yea, that Trek is probably just what the OP needs based on his description of what he plans on doing with it. That would be great for dirt roads, greenways, or bike "paths". Wouldn't try tackling any gnar on it, though.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/3/2020 9:26am
jamma10 wrote:
Can you buy Vitus bikes in the US? All the UK MTB magazines seem to rate the Vitus Nucleus VR or VRS very highly in that...
Can you buy Vitus bikes in the US?

All the UK MTB magazines seem to rate the Vitus Nucleus VR or VRS very highly in that price range.

http://vitusbikes.com/2020-products/
We don't see those too often here, but I know you can buy one from Chain Reaction Cycles and they ship internationally for free.
www.chainreactioncycles.com
huck
3/3/2020 11:14am
APLMAN99 wrote:
The brand new Trek Marlin 5 I posted the picture of is only $550 brand new. If you ask, they’ll probably throw in the 30 day...

I got a Marlin 5 for my wife a little over a year ago. It's been a great bike. I spent $525 on it...brand new. While it's not a full suspension high end bike, it does a fantastic job for it's price point! Great starter/economy bike.

APLMAN99
3/4/2020 8:04am
APLMAN99 wrote:

huck wrote:
I got a Marlin 5 for my wife a little over a year ago. It's been a great bike. I spent $525 on it...brand new. While...
I got a Marlin 5 for my wife a little over a year ago. It's been a great bike. I spent $525 on it...brand new. While it's not a full suspension high end bike, it does a fantastic job for it's price point! Great starter/economy bike.

I've been riding the "old version" (Trek 4500) of that bike off and on for 20 years. When I first got it I did some trail riding with it but nothing really difficult. I put slick tires on it for a half century ride and never took them off. It's a great bike for around town even if the gearing is lower than my road bike. Heavy if you are one of those gram counters, but durable as a freaking brick.
3/4/2020 7:35pm
Seeing a lot of treks used, just not my size. What kept taking a shit on the “best” Walmart bike was the sprocket would start slipping on the chain on a pretty steep hill. I don’t performance just something that won’t break
huck
3/5/2020 6:27am
APLMAN99 wrote:
I've been riding the "old version" (Trek 4500) of that bike off and on for 20 years. When I first got it I did some trail...
I've been riding the "old version" (Trek 4500) of that bike off and on for 20 years. When I first got it I did some trail riding with it but nothing really difficult. I put slick tires on it for a half century ride and never took them off. It's a great bike for around town even if the gearing is lower than my road bike. Heavy if you are one of those gram counters, but durable as a freaking brick.
I had a Trek 5000... then got a Trek Fuel 90 probably 20 years ago too. Got it when full suspension was first out. It was a great bike...but still had regular brakes. Ended up selling it for $300 and bought a new Fuel Ex 5. Disc brakes, full suspension and a great bike so far. I have 314 miles on it since November with zero complaints.

I laugh when I see guys on the trails that are bragging about how their bikes weighs this much..and they saved this many grams...and they are 200 pound riders (which is what I am)... But if I want to drop 2 pounds off my bike, it'd be way cheaper for me to lose it! Wink
three9zero
3/6/2020 4:41pm
Carbon is a horrible addiction...My whip makes me very happy.

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/11/2020 7:41am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2020 7:42am
Nice dinner plate you have on that XX1 eagle setup, man. I like the gold!
Nairb#70
3/11/2020 8:49am
If they weren't so hard on the body, I'd say grab a fully rigid single speed 29'er for $500. But your hips will shot in a year. You'll feel like a kid again riding it.

Post a reply to: What’s a half decent mountain bike?

The Latest