What is your occupation?

Tpog496
Edited Date/Time 5/9/2015 4:41pm
Moto is an expensive hobby and you need a lot of time to be competitive at any level. My job doesn't allow me to be able to afford to ride unless I work every weekend which causes a dilemma because then I have no time to ride. So I am just wondering what else is out there that would be semi-fun to do every day and still have the luxury of riding every weekend.
|
Titan1
4/28/2015 3:01pm
I'm a mortgage banker...good money, pick my own hours (never on weekends or holidays). I ride once a week (at least) and then race as often as I can (between soccer games and dance competitions for the kids-I have 4 kids).

The beauty of my job is that anyone can do it...I'm just about the dullest tool in the shed and I can do it...so anyone can. No formal education or degree required...just take the state/federal required education (usually around 40 hours) and pass a test and background check and you're good to go (you'll always have a job). It takes a while to build up a clientele and develop relationships that will provide a steady income (it is a commission only job)...but once you get to that point you're good to go and will likely make more money and have a better quality of life than 90% of Americans.

My average loan amount this year is $235K. I make 1.5% of the loan amount for every loan that I close (commission rates vary from company to company)...so you could close 1 loan/month and make $42K/year (which has got to be close to the median income in America). 2 loans/month would put you at $84K/year...you get the picture.

Is it "fun" or even "semi-fun"??? Probably not, in fact its frikkin' boring...but it sure is fun to roll into the office at 10:00 or 11:00...after riding in the morning, and be home by 5:00...and its fun to never work weekends or holidays and ride/race instead...or to be at the kids soccer games and dance competitions...or to be able to cut out of work at 1:00 to watch the kids school program. (I'm all about the quality of life, not necessarily the income).

Anyway...I always tell every person I know that is ever out of work, to get their mortgage license...and come to work for me. (same could also be true of real estate license or even insurance licenses...unlimited income guaranteed work) Nobody has taken me up on it yet.

Just my $.02
Sunhouse
4/28/2015 3:16pm
Lawyer
Actually just got diagnosed with adult ADHD, which explained my frustration the last 10 years of uni and work - it´s like cryptonite for someone with ADHD.
I was asked to help the firm build up a new office in another city after only 4 years in the firm. Thought I was going psychotic after too much work and ADHD fucking my head up. So I quit, sold my apartment and I am now going to travel Asia and Latin America for a year or so at my own pace to get back to my normal self. Only downside - I don´t get to see RV ride at Swedish GP Tongue

The job means work 24/7, no time to ride or nurse personal relations of any kind.
Tpog496
4/28/2015 3:28pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'm a mortgage banker...good money, pick my own hours (never on weekends or holidays). I ride once a week (at least) and then race as often...
I'm a mortgage banker...good money, pick my own hours (never on weekends or holidays). I ride once a week (at least) and then race as often as I can (between soccer games and dance competitions for the kids-I have 4 kids).

The beauty of my job is that anyone can do it...I'm just about the dullest tool in the shed and I can do it...so anyone can. No formal education or degree required...just take the state/federal required education (usually around 40 hours) and pass a test and background check and you're good to go (you'll always have a job). It takes a while to build up a clientele and develop relationships that will provide a steady income (it is a commission only job)...but once you get to that point you're good to go and will likely make more money and have a better quality of life than 90% of Americans.

My average loan amount this year is $235K. I make 1.5% of the loan amount for every loan that I close (commission rates vary from company to company)...so you could close 1 loan/month and make $42K/year (which has got to be close to the median income in America). 2 loans/month would put you at $84K/year...you get the picture.

Is it "fun" or even "semi-fun"??? Probably not, in fact its frikkin' boring...but it sure is fun to roll into the office at 10:00 or 11:00...after riding in the morning, and be home by 5:00...and its fun to never work weekends or holidays and ride/race instead...or to be at the kids soccer games and dance competitions...or to be able to cut out of work at 1:00 to watch the kids school program. (I'm all about the quality of life, not necessarily the income).

Anyway...I always tell every person I know that is ever out of work, to get their mortgage license...and come to work for me. (same could also be true of real estate license or even insurance licenses...unlimited income guaranteed work) Nobody has taken me up on it yet.

Just my $.02
Yea that sounds about as sweet as it gets.
MR. X
4/28/2015 4:26pm
Tool and die maker for the last 20 years ,19 of them building plastic injection molds and the last year as a die maker for the auto industry.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/28/2015 4:34pm
Titan, how many loans per year do you average? (Roughly; I'm not trying to find out your personal income.)
Tpog496
4/28/2015 4:36pm
Falcon wrote:
Titan, how many loans per year do you average? (Roughly; I'm not trying to find out your personal income.)
Also are you self employed?
JoJmoto
4/28/2015 4:45pm
Cop... I work in investigations.. Burglaries, all types of theft, child crime and a few murders here and there...
17 years on the job. Have plenty of free range so I come and go as I please to work my cases but work for the 6th largest County in the State so I am pretty busy all the time.

Don't become a cop if you want to make money. Our pay sucks, I have not had a raise in 8 years because of the economy.. if no one pays their taxes, our local Government starts cutting shit and it usually starts with us. Just did get our retirement match back but no where near as much as it was. Plus if you have not notice... there is a large population upset with Law Enforcement lately so there is always someone trying to bait you..

We stay broke and often times rob Peter to pay Paul to hit certain races. But, my kid is just a couple short years away from being an adult so I guess we will do what we need to do until then to be able to spend time together.
4/28/2015 5:44pm
Journalist. I actually started writing about moto because it was the thing I knew the most about. Worked in the industry a while and now banished to the halls of power in DC. I cover commodity markets.

So far we got media, a lawyer and a cop here. Three of the most stigmatized fields around. Tongue . TongueTongue
4/28/2015 5:46pm
Railroad welder. I make short rails into long rails. A monkey could do my job.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
4/28/2015 5:54pm
Medium-voltage electrician in the Army. Unfortunately I don't get much hands on work anymore due to my current position.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/28/2015 6:05pm
Poolman. I make tens of dollars, almost as much as I spend.Laughing Actually it's a pretty good gig, once they dig that hole they're fucked. It's like having a boat but different, you can sink a boat, but you're stuck with your pool.Tongue Haha seriously though I like it because you can always work harder and earn more (if you're motivated) Drawbacks are no retirement (other than what you save yourself), and no paid sick days or paid vacations. Bonuses are no nights or weekends, set your own schedule etc. But... you HAVE to be motivated and a "self starter" or you'll sink like a rock
DPR250R
4/28/2015 6:34pm
Data and Analytics Manager.

I really like it. It feels like playing with puzzles all day long. I guess you have to be somewhat introverted to enjoy it though. I am fine sitting there all day trying to figure out a problem. Before I know it it's time to head home. Deadlines can bring a decent amount of stress. I would say the pay is good and IMO it's a skillset that more and more companies are looking for.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/28/2015 6:46pm
DPR250R wrote:
Data and Analytics Manager. I really like it. It feels like playing with puzzles all day long. I guess you have to be somewhat introverted to...
Data and Analytics Manager.

I really like it. It feels like playing with puzzles all day long. I guess you have to be somewhat introverted to enjoy it though. I am fine sitting there all day trying to figure out a problem. Before I know it it's time to head home. Deadlines can bring a decent amount of stress. I would say the pay is good and IMO it's a skillset that more and more companies are looking for.
Hope I don't sound too naïve here but what does a data and Analytics manager do exactly ? Some days I would love to devote myself to one thing, I'm multi-tasking 12+ hours a day, doing one thing, really good, or finishing a complicated task almost sounds relaxing. The grass is always greener right ?... What does managing data and analytics entail ?

markit
4/28/2015 6:50pm
Electrical & hvac contractor simi retired. Just small town stuff. Also had a bike shop for a while and still do repairs on the side.
The Rock
4/28/2015 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 6:54pm
This same topic went 8 pages in 2009.
EMA884mx
4/28/2015 6:53pm
Dentist
I ride very conservatively since graduating dental school and do not race at all any longer. You can imagine that if I hurt my arms or hands I am out of commission, so I have to be very careful. Otherwise though, it's interesting work and a great profession. I love working with my hands and seeing immediate results.
4/28/2015 7:13pm
I'm going to be an ER nurse in a month. My fiance is in San Francisco on vacation/working a strike as a nurse getting about $80 an hour. I'll be able to do that after a year. Cant wait to be able to travel wherever I want and get paid way more than I will in lame Missouri. We're going to buy an RV and hit the road after my year mark. We work three days a week but usually rotate weekends and holidays. I'm hoping to find something different within ten years or so because I don't want to do it the rest of my life. It messes with you pretty good to be surrounded by death and horrible situations so often.
jmar
4/28/2015 7:19pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'm a mortgage banker...good money, pick my own hours (never on weekends or holidays). I ride once a week (at least) and then race as often...

Just my $.02
Hey Titan.

Are you a mortgage banker, or broker?
DPR250R
4/28/2015 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 7:43pm
sumdood wrote:
Hope I don't sound too naïve here but what does a data and Analytics manager do exactly ? Some days I would love to devote myself...
Hope I don't sound too naïve here but what does a data and Analytics manager do exactly ? Some days I would love to devote myself to one thing, I'm multi-tasking 12+ hours a day, doing one thing, really good, or finishing a complicated task almost sounds relaxing. The grass is always greener right ?... What does managing data and analytics entail ?

First.. let me say that I was an Economics major in college. I picked up some computer skills along the way to this job. There are guys out there that I am sure can school me on the "science" behind of all of this.

It can be both relaxing and stressful. When you are presenting good news on time, everything is great. When you are presenting bad news... after the deadline you were given, it is not fun. If you like a mix of math/statistics, computer programming and a mental challenge this may be a field for you to look in to.

So here is a simplified version of what I do...

1. Someone important in the company has a question. "If we change our policy on X how does it effect Y?"
2. I work with my team to come up with what data we need to answer the question.
3. I design a data warehouse model to collect and house data. (Sometimes we have to wait for surveys, sometimes we work with historical data already in house(Sales, Returns, Customer Sentiment, Payroll Hours.. etc.. etc.. )
4. The data is then assembled in a manner that is easy to design reporting around
5. Reports are developed to make the data digestible
6. Answer is the delivered to important person that asked the question. This can end the process or lead to more questions.

Titan1
4/28/2015 7:38pm
Falcon wrote:
Tpog496 wrote:
Also are you self employed?
Shoot...keep in mind it's taken me 13 years to get where I'm at, but it's between 4-10/month on average. Some months none, some months 15. Though I've been at it long enough that the months with none (or 1 or 2) are getting fewer and farther between. I would say I'm probably about average-to slightly above average-industry wide as far as loan volume. My brother-in-law works for the same company as I do-we are actually partners-and he closes about triple the amount of loans as me (I'm not exaggerating). He is all about the money (and he makes a ton of it), and I'm more about the quality of life. So he works 60-80 hour weeks...I work 20-30 hour weeks. To each his own.

I am not self employed. I am a W-2'd employee. It's complicated (thanks to federal regs) but I have 4 people that work directly for me (and I'm personally responsible for the payroll, as well as office expenses), as processors and underwriters. And I have one other loan officer that works for me (the small amount of income I make on her loans is just to off set some over head). So on paper I'm not self employed, but in reality I am. The easiest way to describe it is it's like I own a franchise of the mortgage bank I work for, but because of federal regs all of my income is w2d from the corporate office. (It's way confusing, and doesn't make a lot of sense...believe me, I know).

I really do love the quality of life my job provides.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
4/28/2015 7:38pm
I was wondering what it was too. Your description does make it sound like a pretty fun job. I like your simplified description.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
4/28/2015 8:56pm
Third generation fishing guide for twenty some years. Landlord for about as long. Was fishing tournaments non stop but got a little burned out lately. Have a successful breeding program of giant tortoises and rock iguanas with a waiting list and deposits for years. Fishing a lot less these days and just riding a few times a week at an amazing private facility mostly. Getting old so trying to get my fill.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
4/28/2015 9:41pm
i own a timber joinery manufactuer, i only brought it 7 months ago after most my life selling motorcycles or parts/acc for motorcycles, incl 10 years owning a shop,

like teh new gig as I have far more time off hours, and not being tied into racing has made it more fun again, (i was heavly involved in running and sponsoring MX in my last jobs)

have only had a KX125 in the shed for the last 6 month as i concentrated on learning the new business, but i have just brought a 2015 KX450 and pick it up on the weekend, can't wait to ride again,
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/28/2015 9:46pm
DPR250R wrote:
First.. let me say that I was an Economics major in college. I picked up some computer skills along the way to this job. There are...
First.. let me say that I was an Economics major in college. I picked up some computer skills along the way to this job. There are guys out there that I am sure can school me on the "science" behind of all of this.

It can be both relaxing and stressful. When you are presenting good news on time, everything is great. When you are presenting bad news... after the deadline you were given, it is not fun. If you like a mix of math/statistics, computer programming and a mental challenge this may be a field for you to look in to.

So here is a simplified version of what I do...

1. Someone important in the company has a question. "If we change our policy on X how does it effect Y?"
2. I work with my team to come up with what data we need to answer the question.
3. I design a data warehouse model to collect and house data. (Sometimes we have to wait for surveys, sometimes we work with historical data already in house(Sales, Returns, Customer Sentiment, Payroll Hours.. etc.. etc.. )
4. The data is then assembled in a manner that is easy to design reporting around
5. Reports are developed to make the data digestible
6. Answer is the delivered to important person that asked the question. This can end the process or lead to more questions.

Well you must be good at it because you made me feel like I understand it now, and that's no easy task. I aint the brightest bulb on the string, well done ! Laughing
S.Loyer
4/28/2015 10:32pm
Web Developer / Consultant
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
4/28/2015 10:33pm
I work for a local gas utility in the emergency response department. We also service gas furnaces and water heaters, but our main gig is responding to gas emergencies such as odors in the home or outside and gas line breaks. Great gig with good benefits. I will never get rich from it, but it allows my wife to stay home and raise the two kids which is really cool to us.
JB 19
4/28/2015 11:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 11:44pm
Journeyman toolmaker as well as landlord. I have a great job, but have to work nights even though I have 11 years at the same place. I hate working nights and having a family.

Went to school at Ohio State for business for 3 years. The mortgage banker guy at the top has me thinking........
MudPup545
4/29/2015 12:15am
Ford Motor Company. Jobsetter on the assembly line that builds RDUs (Rear Drive Unit). I'm the guy that keeps the line moving. Quality checks & basic maintenance. Riding during the week is tough. I squeeze in a few weekends a year.
KTMShane699
4/29/2015 1:31am
I'm a firefighter/paramedic. Luckily I only have a little over three years left on my medic commitment. I've been a medic for over ten years, and I'm ready for just the fire side instead. The legalities and the "cover your ass" type of medicine these days is crazy and has taken a lot of the fun from the medic side of things.

All in all though, I get to live the dream that most kids have at one time or another. I'm paid to drive a fire truck every day (driver is a promotion for us) and I generally love my job. It does take some coping skills to make sure that what I see and do at work doesn't come home with me. I tend to be good at managing that aspect. I'd prefer my family (especially my daughter) to believe in the good of the world. Sometimes she doesn't understand why I say no to something or why we have a rule that seems "stupid."

I can't see myself doing anything else. Great career. Great schedule. And t still allows me to work a day or two a week in the motorcycle shop to keep me out of trouble.

Right now my biggest focus is on getting back to work after breaking my leg. The guys at work have been awesome about making sure we have everything we need while I'm hurt though. They're a truly great group. Within 20 minutes of so of word getting to the firehouse that I'd broken my leg (saw one of our guys when I was going in), Engine 3 had gone out of service and come to the hospital to see if I was ok and more importantly what myself and my family needed. After that it was a steady stream of guys on and off duty stopping to check in. How can you not enjoy going to work when you work with guys like that?

Shane
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2797th
4/29/2015 3:39am
Production supervisor for a vegetable oil refinery

Post a reply to: What is your occupation?

The Latest