What is not mainstream media?

kburgie
Edited Date/Time 10/21/2017 3:58pm
Those who reference MSM: What do you listen to, watch or read that is credible but not MSM?
|
Squidward
10/20/2017 8:10am
Info Wars man.

No, but seriously, he's become a sellout.

Newsbud is really good, Breitbart, Drudge Report, The Keiser Report, I check out Paul Joseph Watson from time to time, Ben Shapiro is really smart, (not quite conservative enough for my liking's) I can't find anyone out there that I really like though. Alex Jones was the guy I liked in the beginning, but after he got all big and turned into a sellout, I decided it was time for change. Sometimes I still check him out to see whats cooking, but most of my time goes into smaller independent guys.
akillerwombat
10/20/2017 8:31am
Listen: NPR, Joe Rogan podcast (+ several others)
Read: BBC, AP, Reuters, Vox, Wall Street Journal, and The Economist
Watch: The Daily Show, Kimmel, and Seth Meyers
10/20/2017 9:03am
Read that Hut. It's damn near impossible to know what the truth is anymore. It's getting to be where the weather guy is the most accurate news caster.
motosmith
10/20/2017 9:25am
I watch Hannity and Fox News.

I read all the other outlets for entertainment but I don't take them seriously. If you want a good time, head over to MSNBC. Pure entertainment over there.

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2212th
10/20/2017 9:27am
Nothing has ever or will ever be said or written that is 100% objective or the truth. This is why the concept of significant figures exists in science. Develop a healthy skeptic filter and run everything through it.
Rooster
10/20/2017 9:47am
I usually use some sort of a news aggregator site that brings in news from multiple sources. Sites like reddit and facebook can offer a man on the ground view nearly instantly for major events as well.

Then if something seems a little over the top, I look at multiple sources.

If something seems to agree with the way I think too much, I look for an opposing argument to see if there's something I'm missing from the other side. Same deal if something seems too upsetting. I'll look and see if there's an opposing argument that helps explain why it happened.

If you think the only people telling the truth are the ones that say stuff you agree with. You've got your head shoved up your ass. If the person delivering the news is yelling or crying about their views of the event, I find a different source. I want information, not opinion.
NorCal 50+
10/20/2017 10:09am
I read some papers even though I don't trust them. The Washington Post has gone crazy trying to remove Trump from office. They got to the point where they are just throwing up and seeing what sticks, particularly regarding Russians. I don't trust Bezos- he sits on a Pentagon board of advisors.
NYT is in the same vein- but both those papers are sold out to the liberal establishment.
Guardian publishes interesting stuff- BBC will actually report US activities overseas in a rational way, where US TV agencies are still jingoistic, superficial and slanted.
I don't watch US TV News- can't stand the shallowness and propaganda. They are just trying to pit us against ourselves.
Drudge will tell you what's going on so I check that out every day. LA Times is insanely slanted toward urban liberals if you want that perspective (they had a recent editorial saying people that want to drive cars are "entitled"- they are just nuts).
tp4
10/20/2017 11:20am
Read that Hut. It's damn near impossible to know what the truth is anymore. It's getting to be where the weather guy is the most accurate...
Read that Hut. It's damn near impossible to know what the truth is anymore. It's getting to be where the weather guy is the most accurate news caster.
and they are wrong 90% of the time..no tv here!
kburgie
10/20/2017 11:25am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I read some papers even though I don't trust them. The Washington Post has gone crazy trying to remove Trump from office. They got to the...
I read some papers even though I don't trust them. The Washington Post has gone crazy trying to remove Trump from office. They got to the point where they are just throwing up and seeing what sticks, particularly regarding Russians. I don't trust Bezos- he sits on a Pentagon board of advisors.
NYT is in the same vein- but both those papers are sold out to the liberal establishment.
Guardian publishes interesting stuff- BBC will actually report US activities overseas in a rational way, where US TV agencies are still jingoistic, superficial and slanted.
I don't watch US TV News- can't stand the shallowness and propaganda. They are just trying to pit us against ourselves.
Drudge will tell you what's going on so I check that out every day. LA Times is insanely slanted toward urban liberals if you want that perspective (they had a recent editorial saying people that want to drive cars are "entitled"- they are just nuts).
The Washington Post line is how I feel about CNN. I'm their market socially and politically and it really bothers me when they stoop to lower standards or intentionally twist words or stories. There is enough actual bad news that I wish they would just let some things go.
kongols
10/20/2017 11:36am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2017 11:37am
motosmith wrote:
I watch Hannity and Fox News. I read all the other outlets for entertainment but I don't take them seriously. If you want a good time...

I read all the other outlets for entertainment but I don't take them seriously. If you want a good time, head over to MSNBC. Pure entertainment over there.
Oddly enough, I find Hannity a pure entertainment. There isn`t bigger bullshiter out there. Go figure..
FOX News is highly bias, but I do watch it to see both sides of the story.
kburgie
10/20/2017 11:36am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2017 11:38am
motosmith wrote:
I watch Hannity and Fox News. I read all the other outlets for entertainment but I don't take them seriously. If you want a good time...

I have heard Fox News reference "the mainstream media" and I was confused. How are Fox and Hannity not MSM?
kburgie
10/20/2017 11:39am
Rooster wrote:
I usually use some sort of a news aggregator site that brings in news from multiple sources. Sites like reddit and facebook can offer a man...
I usually use some sort of a news aggregator site that brings in news from multiple sources. Sites like reddit and facebook can offer a man on the ground view nearly instantly for major events as well.

Then if something seems a little over the top, I look at multiple sources.

If something seems to agree with the way I think too much, I look for an opposing argument to see if there's something I'm missing from the other side. Same deal if something seems too upsetting. I'll look and see if there's an opposing argument that helps explain why it happened.

If you think the only people telling the truth are the ones that say stuff you agree with. You've got your head shoved up your ass. If the person delivering the news is yelling or crying about their views of the event, I find a different source. I want information, not opinion.
I do that experiment sometimes too. I'll go way left for a story, and then way right, and I'll usually learn something from each that the other chose to omit. Same stories, different spin. Pretty entertaining sometimes.
akillerwombat
10/20/2017 11:43am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2017 11:43am
kongols wrote:
Oddly enough, I find Hannity a pure entertainment. There isn`t bigger bullshiter out there. Go figure.. FOX News is highly bias, but I do watch it...
Oddly enough, I find Hannity a pure entertainment. There isn`t bigger bullshiter out there. Go figure..
FOX News is highly bias, but I do watch it to see both sides of the story.
If "Son of Anarchy" existed in a real place I feel like Fox News would be the only channel the antenna's would be strong enough able to pick up.
kburgie
10/20/2017 11:46am
Squidward wrote:
Info Wars man. No, but seriously, he's become a sellout. Newsbud is really good, Breitbart, Drudge Report, The Keiser Report, I check out Paul Joseph Watson...
Info Wars man.

No, but seriously, he's become a sellout.

Newsbud is really good, Breitbart, Drudge Report, The Keiser Report, I check out Paul Joseph Watson from time to time, Ben Shapiro is really smart, (not quite conservative enough for my liking's) I can't find anyone out there that I really like though. Alex Jones was the guy I liked in the beginning, but after he got all big and turned into a sellout, I decided it was time for change. Sometimes I still check him out to see whats cooking, but most of my time goes into smaller independent guys.
I get that a smaller, independent source is less influenced by ad dollars, but what keeps them from having a personal agenda? What makes what they say credible?
Hut
10/20/2017 11:53am
kburgie wrote:
I get that a smaller, independent source is less influenced by ad dollars, but what keeps them from having a personal agenda? What makes what they...
I get that a smaller, independent source is less influenced by ad dollars, but what keeps them from having a personal agenda? What makes what they say credible?
Not trying to speak for him but isn't personal agenda why he is tuning in?
". . .(not quite conservative enough for my liking's). . ."
kburgie
10/20/2017 12:01pm
Hut wrote:
Well that's why I'm asking Smile Trying to understand the people who reference/criticize "the mainstream media" and not just a single outlet.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
10/20/2017 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2017 12:13pm
I follow nz sites , but prefer to get outside views on stuff so follow the Sydney morning herald , the Guardian in the uk, al jazerra , I find US sites really bias , so tend to read the Washington post and Fox News , both are really partisan , would love to find a down the middle site that’s more objective , i tend to follow more msm sites that smaller ones

I like joe Rogan podcasts and also watch Bill Maher , I like the fact he calls out the problems with the party he supports , I also watch a bit of John Oliver , I used to watch Hannity. But just cant anymore , he drives me nuts with how he just yells over guests he does not agree with
SCR
10/20/2017 12:30pm

I find Fox News provides me with the best content.

Seriously. Like Rooster said. I will read and listen to many things including, and usually more so stuff I know I will disagree with our doubt because it fills in the gaps and provides balance and information to develop as big a picture of information as possible. I also try to check information on sources and authors. Then without emotion I run it thru my god given filter of experience and common sense to come up with some kind of understanding.

borg
10/20/2017 2:50pm
It really depends on what I want to know about. I will usually go to internet sites for the 5 W's. Regular news organizations. ABCNBCCBSCNNLATIMESNEWYORKTIMES ect, you can usually get the pertinent details on an issue without having to listen to all the opinion assholes on TV. I stopped watching tv news a year ago or so. For example, when the Flint water crisis happened, I heard all kinds of different stories about it on TV. I went to Wikipedia and found out that most of the shit I was getting on tv was BS. I think I am now better informed and I can pick what I want to know about. I can also crosscheck fairly easily. Most cable news is almost completely useless if you are interested in facts. It can be entertaining but please don't take any of it seriously.
Dtat720
10/20/2017 3:33pm
Try OANN. Pretty neutral so far, somewhat Like Greta or Sheryll Atkisson are. Present facts and let you mull over what it means. Sheryl has a show on the network, investigative reporting, mostly stuff that isnt being covered that has an impact.

Hannity is an assclown. Claims he isnt a journalist, then gets mad when he isnt credited for stuff. I thought you were just an opinion guy bud? Whats up?

Ezra Klein, founder of Vox, is even worse and his sites are evidence of that. Main reason he was fired from Wapo. How does a then 22 year old get the idea he can walk in to Bezo's office and demand $100mil for a website like Vox then throw a royal temper tantrum when you get fired for it and laughed out of legitimacy.
10/20/2017 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2017 3:38pm
I like Levintv. Cut cable about the same time I got clipped for a while.
BMSOBx2
10/20/2017 3:50pm
I got to let this one go. Don't want to end up getting Newmanned.Grinning
reded
10/20/2017 3:57pm
Breitbart is my go to, simply because they'll bash the Reps and GOP if it's warranted. Like some have said here, I go to both extremes in order to learn details that I might not if using only one media outlet, then I put the pieces together how they seem to fit.
SEE ARE125
10/20/2017 4:14pm
I’ve found The Onion to be pretty credible and unbiased.
BMSOBx2
10/20/2017 4:36pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
GrinningGrinning
Hut
10/20/2017 4:46pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Haha Remember the good old days when you would see an Onion article and knew it was satire. Nowadays it's like, I better cross check this one. Blink
10/20/2017 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2017 4:57pm
Anyone watch Sargon of Akkad on Youtube? I really enjoy his content.
APLMAN99
10/20/2017 5:52pm
kburgie wrote:
I get that a smaller, independent source is less influenced by ad dollars, but what keeps them from having a personal agenda? What makes what they...
Hut wrote:
He's allegedly 17yo and is talking about Alex Jones "in the beginning" before "he got all big and turned into a sellout"........

Any guesses on his previous screen name?
Hut
10/20/2017 7:26pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
He's allegedly 17yo and is talking about Alex Jones "in the beginning" before "he got all big and turned into a sellout"........ Any guesses on his...
He's allegedly 17yo and is talking about Alex Jones "in the beginning" before "he got all big and turned into a sellout"........

Any guesses on his previous screen name?
Well back when he was 9 I'm sure Jones made more sense.... Laughing
TXDirt
10/20/2017 8:12pm
Liveleak. And the community is brutal to those posting fake or bullshit stuff.

Post a reply to: What is not mainstream media?

The Latest