What do you for a living. And what do you earn.

brlatm
3/2/2020 7:57pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
What’s your FR clothing brand called? Would like to check it out. I do oil/gas automation in WV/PA/OH.
L4FRClothing.com I literally just got jeans in today that is my own line. They will be up soon.
logan_140
3/2/2020 8:33pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
What’s your FR clothing brand called? Would like to check it out. I do oil/gas automation in WV/PA/OH.
brlatm wrote:
L4FRClothing.com I literally just got jeans in today that is my own line. They will be up soon.
My dad drives a gas truck, do you have stuff for that?
3/2/2020 8:45pm
Five2Five wrote:
Im 23 as well, with an auto tech background. Ive also been looking at my local ibew, operator union, and labor union.
Heres something to consider. Over the next 5 years about 50% of union electricians are expected to retire. That will put us in very high demand...
Heres something to consider. Over the next 5 years about 50% of union electricians are expected to retire. That will put us in very high demand which means job security and higher rates. Our hall is trying very hard to get new people interested in the electrical trade.
logan_140 wrote:
Can you email me? I’d like to talk to you more about this. Loganryall@gmail.com I’ll send you my # in there to text.
Sure. Just sent you an email
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
3/2/2020 8:57pm
LoudLove wrote:
Damn Skippy! I’ve been waiting for years as well! That shirt has such a retro, relaxing vibe. I love how the imagery takes you to an...
Damn Skippy! I’ve been waiting for years as well! That shirt has such a retro, relaxing vibe. I love how the imagery takes you to an “endless summer”, right in your own back yard.

Career-wise, I’ve been very fortunate. Great experience at college, followed by a kick-ass stint in the navy, and now traveling the globe pimping telecom services for an outrageous salary. I have no discernible skills, couldn’t hang drywall or perform electrical work if my life depended on it, but for some reason people like me. And in sales, that’s half the battle. The other half is showing up on time.
"The other half is showing up on time."

Showing up on time every day whether you are wanting to die or not is over half the battle. I've had many days at less than 50%, but I was at work. My boss knew I was hungover/possible still a little drunk (Monday's😇), but I was there and did my job.

The Shop

levimx22
Fantasy
2202nd
3/3/2020 12:05am
Bigoldbeef wrote:
brlatm wrote:
definitely gonna buy some of your FRs. I too am tired of getting raped with the prices of some of the stuff out thereLaughing
brlatm
3/3/2020 4:25am
levimx22 wrote:
definitely gonna buy some of your FRs. I too am tired of getting raped with the prices of some of the stuff out thereLaughing
For my Vitard bros, put in code: Vital I will give you all 20% off on your order, sign up on the email and the wife sends out discount codes etc in newsletters that only apply to the email list. Fuck spending $80-100 on a pullover shirt, that is why I did it, not to make a living, I make a living off the other job, but man, dudes don't need to be raped.
brlatm
3/3/2020 4:27am
logan_140 wrote:
We have hoodies, shirts, impact gloves right now. I just got in pants, more hoodies, more shirts, etc today, but I need to get pics up and get everything inventoried to add-in. If your dad requires FR gear, and likes lightweight stuff, that is what we are trying to do.
reded
3/3/2020 4:47am
logan_140 wrote:
brlatm wrote:
We have hoodies, shirts, impact gloves right now. I just got in pants, more hoodies, more shirts, etc today, but I need to get pics up...
We have hoodies, shirts, impact gloves right now. I just got in pants, more hoodies, more shirts, etc today, but I need to get pics up and get everything inventoried to add-in. If your dad requires FR gear, and likes lightweight stuff, that is what we are trying to do.
Let me know if you’re business gets to the point that you need help with warehousing and shipping solutions.
danman
3/3/2020 5:56am
Prntscrn wrote:
Recently graduated and got my first job in IT. With today's currency exchange I make about 3300 USD a month and 39700 a year, with 6...
Recently graduated and got my first job in IT. With today's currency exchange I make about 3300 USD a month and 39700 a year, with 6 weeks of paid vacation. 40 hours a week
Mossy wrote:
Damn that's exactly what I am after right now. Currently in a program to get my A+, Network+, and Sec+ certs. Trying to make a career...
Damn that's exactly what I am after right now. Currently in a program to get my A+, Network+, and Sec+ certs. Trying to make a career change.

I'm 23, currently a Heavy Equipment Operator making around $50,000 a year. I'm just tired of working almost 60 hours a week and barely having time to do things I want to do....I also have always loved tech/computers so yeah.

After June I should have my certs and I plan on applying to lots of Sec+ jobs in my area. I can also choose to go for a CCNA or go for a degree. Bachelors of Information Systems.

Give me some good advice for someone going down the Systems/Network Admin route. I'm guessing that's what you do.
If you are working full time now and still working on your Certs, I recommend that you start applying for jobs now, but clearly explain to them that you plan to have the cert in June/July. It shows you are serious and eager to get started.
If you are going down a Network Admin route, definitely go Cisco. Way more places use Cisco than the alternative, so finding different jobs is easier.
From the Systems Admin route, pick an OS and get REALLY, REALLY good at it, even master it. If you feel yourself getting bored with that OS, then move to another one while you are still working with the one your good at. Then learn another. Repeat, rinse, repeat.... The more you know and have experience with, the better.
I personally spent 4-5 years as a Linux/HP-UX/SAN Admin. That was in between Oracle DBA and SQL Server DBA work.

Knowing how I am now vs. when I was younger, I think I would have gone into more network admin work. You're less likely tied to a desk and the responsibility is just as equal any admin position. As an employee, it's probably a wash pay wise between a certified Network Admin and a DBA. I don't think System Admin make quite as much though. This definitely varies from region to region though. I live in small town America, so it's definitely different here.
Hammer 663s
3/3/2020 8:45am
brlatm wrote:
My whole crew uses FR gear, with and without Arc Flash PPE depending on how many volts/amps we are dealing with. But I'm corporate so plaid won't fly. We could use the pullovers, but would need solid gray or blue shirts. Plus our logo if possible. I've got 8 guys now, and we are expanding to probably 20-25 in the next 2 years. Everyone needs 2 sets shirts/pants. Love to help your business grow.

Hammer 663s
hubbardmx50
3/3/2020 9:34am
Mossy wrote:
So many of us are 23...hahaha
23 gang represent! 24 in May. Can’t wait to race world Vets next yearLaughingCool
mxtech1
3/3/2020 9:42am
I am a drive train test engineer at John Deere. Work primarily with belts, variable speed hydraulic sheaves, gearboxes/gearcases, chains, slip clutches, etc.
My job is primarily to define and conduct lab and field tests on our engineering test units to validate system function, performance, and reliability. I do a lot of work with data analysis to develop load cases/profiles from lab and field which gets back-fed to design engineers for continuous improvement. We send machines all over the world to hit the customer conditions the product is expected to be sold in. Also dabble quite a bit in software, electrical, data automation, and hydraulics as my drive systems are typically controlled and/or monitored by these other systems. It’s a cool job!

Salary is more than comfortable 😊 (especially when you factor in our low midwest cost of living) and I have been earning a 5-7% salary increase every year based on my personal performance.

I think the thing I like most about working for a large company like John Deere is that I can switch jobs every 2-3 years and it can mostly be based on whatever interest I have / want to learn about next. Keeps things fresh and minimizes burnout. I expect to retire w/ John Deere at 67, which will give me 44 years with the company, and I am hoping I can experience 15-20 different engineering jobs during my time here.
XXVoid MainXX
3/3/2020 9:53am
Shout out to Galesburg! I drive through there every time I go back home to the farm.
Prntscrn
3/3/2020 11:53am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2020 12:01pm
Mossy wrote:
Damn that's exactly what I am after right now. Currently in a program to get my A+, Network+, and Sec+ certs. Trying to make a career...
Damn that's exactly what I am after right now. Currently in a program to get my A+, Network+, and Sec+ certs. Trying to make a career change.

I'm 23, currently a Heavy Equipment Operator making around $50,000 a year. I'm just tired of working almost 60 hours a week and barely having time to do things I want to do....I also have always loved tech/computers so yeah.

After June I should have my certs and I plan on applying to lots of Sec+ jobs in my area. I can also choose to go for a CCNA or go for a degree. Bachelors of Information Systems.

Give me some good advice for someone going down the Systems/Network Admin route. I'm guessing that's what you do.
Yeah, I find the terms I have to be great and it gives me a lot of time to enjoy other things in life than just work, something I value highly. Just to be able to take a couple of weeks off during the summer to enjoy our short (but lovely) summer and also be able to take a couple of weeks of during the winter to escape ours dark and cold winters are great.

Can't really give you any advice in going down that route since it's not really what I'm doing (danman seems like someone worth listening to though). What I'm doing is pretty much handling data. Our customers generates data and wants different things from it. A three word description of what I mostly do would be SQL Server, SSIS and SSRS/Power BI. But the core in pretty much everything I do is SQL. 3 months in and loving it so far.

Good luck though sounds like you're on your way to a career you'll enjoy Smile
brlatm
3/3/2020 12:21pm
My whole crew uses FR gear, with and without Arc Flash PPE depending on how many volts/amps we are dealing with. But I'm corporate so plaid...
My whole crew uses FR gear, with and without Arc Flash PPE depending on how many volts/amps we are dealing with. But I'm corporate so plaid won't fly. We could use the pullovers, but would need solid gray or blue shirts. Plus our logo if possible. I've got 8 guys now, and we are expanding to probably 20-25 in the next 2 years. Everyone needs 2 sets shirts/pants. Love to help your business grow.

Hammer 663s
Hey Hammer, reach out to me on my email, I'm sure we can work a deal out. I have the new stuff I can send you a picture of that isn't available yet.

brett@l4frclothing.com
mx617
3/3/2020 12:48pm
I'm a financial advisor, spent ten years building from scratch and then in October took over a decent chunk from a retiring advisor. This year I'm expecting to gross $350k, should be able to keep about 1/3 of that after expenses and taxes.

It was a tough slog the first few years. I think my first year I grossed $27k, but one thing I'm proud of is that every single year I've made a bit more.

The catch is now I finally have enough money to do what I want and I'm short on time lol. Have a 1 year old and a 2 year old at home.
SEEMEFIRST
3/3/2020 6:18pm
Done a bunch of different things, which put me where I am now.
Long story short, I got out of the defense industry as a toolmaker because it was always a rollercoaster ride.
Something going down in the middle east, redneck president.... Work as much as you want.
New president, peace breaks out, you are out.

I got tired of the ride, so now I maintain high speed bottling lines for a well known company.

I worked for so long at small companies in between DOD gigs, we did so much with so little, that I can now do anything with nothing.

That is apparently a hot commodity.
I work 2 on 2 off 3 on. On paper I work 6 months a year, but they want us working OT.

I get 5 weeks of vacation, 48 hrs of ppto, 3 floater days, and a pension.

Probably going to work until 65 though because of insurance.
Moto Norcal
3/3/2020 8:55pm
Been writing for a living for 22 years. Some people read it and some money flows my way from that. Started out with a pizza driver's salary and hoping for 6 figures this year. My heroes in life are Jason Weigandt and Hunter S. Thompson.
BW908
3/4/2020 4:44am
I ride dirt bikes. I dont make shit.
Gworm
3/4/2020 4:34pm
I never went to college, but I fly a corporate jet. I'm actually in Van Nuys right now. Not gonna give figures out on social media, but it pays well.
I made a major career change in my early 30's. I was an excavation contractor, and got tired of chasing money and not getting paid.

When I was starting, a good friend who has been in aviation forever told me "you'll never become a millionaire flying, but you get to live like one".
Mossy
3/4/2020 5:06pm
Prntscrn wrote:
Recently graduated and got my first job in IT. With today's currency exchange I make about 3300 USD a month and 39700 a year, with 6...
Recently graduated and got my first job in IT. With today's currency exchange I make about 3300 USD a month and 39700 a year, with 6 weeks of paid vacation. 40 hours a week
Mossy wrote:

danman wrote:
If you are working full time now and still working on your Certs, I recommend that you start applying for jobs now, but clearly explain to...
If you are working full time now and still working on your Certs, I recommend that you start applying for jobs now, but clearly explain to them that you plan to have the cert in June/July. It shows you are serious and eager to get started.
If you are going down a Network Admin route, definitely go Cisco. Way more places use Cisco than the alternative, so finding different jobs is easier.
From the Systems Admin route, pick an OS and get REALLY, REALLY good at it, even master it. If you feel yourself getting bored with that OS, then move to another one while you are still working with the one your good at. Then learn another. Repeat, rinse, repeat.... The more you know and have experience with, the better.
I personally spent 4-5 years as a Linux/HP-UX/SAN Admin. That was in between Oracle DBA and SQL Server DBA work.

Knowing how I am now vs. when I was younger, I think I would have gone into more network admin work. You're less likely tied to a desk and the responsibility is just as equal any admin position. As an employee, it's probably a wash pay wise between a certified Network Admin and a DBA. I don't think System Admin make quite as much though. This definitely varies from region to region though. I live in small town America, so it's definitely different here.
Yeah man I'm definitely heading down the Cisco route. I see a lot of military contractor Sec+ and Net+ jobs in my area. I'm just not sure how entry level friendly they are.

I also see some "Junior Sys Admin" and "Junior Network Admin" jobs and I figure that those are the ones that I should be applying to. Most just say 1+ year experience....which I have 1+ year experience personally but not in the professional world. I also have Linux (Ubuntu & CentOS) experience, Server 2016. I don't see many of these jobs saying they require a degree to be honest.

Any advice on what I should put on a resume for work experience? I obviously have my 5 years in construction but is that even worth putting on there? I know some programming as well.

Thanks for the reply though man. Much appreciated CoolSmile
hubbardmx50
3/4/2020 6:33pm
BW908 wrote:
I ride dirt bikes. I dont make shit.
Same here, I'm a pro practice rider. It's been a fun career the last 20 years but pays little, very little. Pays nothing actually
danman
3/5/2020 8:19am
Mossy wrote:

danman wrote:
If you are working full time now and still working on your Certs, I recommend that you start applying for jobs now, but clearly explain to...

Mossy wrote:
Yeah man I'm definitely heading down the Cisco route. I see a lot of military contractor Sec+ and Net+ jobs in my area. I'm just not...
Yeah man I'm definitely heading down the Cisco route. I see a lot of military contractor Sec+ and Net+ jobs in my area. I'm just not sure how entry level friendly they are.

I also see some "Junior Sys Admin" and "Junior Network Admin" jobs and I figure that those are the ones that I should be applying to. Most just say 1+ year experience....which I have 1+ year experience personally but not in the professional world. I also have Linux (Ubuntu & CentOS) experience, Server 2016. I don't see many of these jobs saying they require a degree to be honest.

Any advice on what I should put on a resume for work experience? I obviously have my 5 years in construction but is that even worth putting on there? I know some programming as well.

Thanks for the reply though man. Much appreciated CoolSmile
Put any and all certs/training/kowledge on your resume.
As far as construction, yes, definitely put it on your resume for multiple reasons.
If you did any type of IT related things for that construction company, point that out.
From a hiring manager perspective, I like to see someone who works while going through their education. It shows dedication and willingness to do what it takes.
This could also help when going through interviews because you may not know what plans they have for the position. A good example might be that you apply for a Healthcare Networking position where they are planning on building a new hospital or clinic. Your construction background might help you get a foot in the door, even though it's not related to the position. You wouldn't know that when just applying for a job.

Definitely be confident in your resume, but don't embellish too much because it will come out when in the interview(s). I've seen it too many times. Also be honest if you don't know the answer to a question. If it's about something specific like a term or theory and you don't know for sure, just say so, but also explain what you think it may be.
In this day and age, you are 2 minutes away from a Google search to find a fix.

Good Luck. If you have any more questions, DM me. If you don't hear back, reply to this message with an email and I'll get back to you.
3/6/2020 6:13am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2020 6:19am
logan_140 wrote:
I’m absolutely going to look into it.. I’m 23.
Five2Five wrote:
Im 23 as well, with an auto tech background. Ive also been looking at my local ibew, operator union, and labor union.
Heres something to consider. Over the next 5 years about 50% of union electricians are expected to retire. That will put us in very high demand...
Heres something to consider. Over the next 5 years about 50% of union electricians are expected to retire. That will put us in very high demand which means job security and higher rates. Our hall is trying very hard to get new people interested in the electrical trade.
You guys are gonna have the job market by the NUTS. You’ll be able to demand whatever you want. Top of the bell curve demands. Between that and picking up electrical side jobs...theres a nice living to be had.

Do you 23 year old guys think a lot of your peers want to get in the trades ? What’s their current motivations? If not a management degree... Are they still mostly chasing management degrees ? My generation seems like the boom of managers that didn’t really want to work the job first. They acted Kinda Entitled because they got a degree. But I think it’s changing some now. Unsure though.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
3/6/2020 8:37am
You guys are gonna have the job market by the NUTS. You’ll be able to demand whatever you want. Top of the bell curve demands. Between...
You guys are gonna have the job market by the NUTS. You’ll be able to demand whatever you want. Top of the bell curve demands. Between that and picking up electrical side jobs...theres a nice living to be had.

Do you 23 year old guys think a lot of your peers want to get in the trades ? What’s their current motivations? If not a management degree... Are they still mostly chasing management degrees ? My generation seems like the boom of managers that didn’t really want to work the job first. They acted Kinda Entitled because they got a degree. But I think it’s changing some now. Unsure though.
This made me laugh, and sigh lol. Everyone wants to be a manager, without understanding the hands on part of the job or what they're supposed to be managing the guys to do. For me finding guys to do work is the hardest part of my job. At the supply houses there's all kinds of ads on the board from pool guys looking to hire, not one that says "need extra work or looking for a job" Advertise for a "Pool Cleaner" job and see who shows up. 9 out of 10 times it's some kid that makes Jeff Spicoli seem like Einstein and can't fill out the application without crossing shit out 3 times. Then when he finds out it's actually hard work oh shit fuck this. No nights, no weekends, no holidays, off by 3 on friday, paid (well over a grand if they work hard) every Friday, paid week off at Christmas, flexible schedule if needed. Yet finding and training guys is always something I absolutely dread. Other than that it's all gravy haha
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/6/2020 8:47am
mxtech1 wrote:
I am a drive train test engineer at John Deere. Work primarily with belts, variable speed hydraulic sheaves, gearboxes/gearcases, chains, slip clutches, etc. My job is...
I am a drive train test engineer at John Deere. Work primarily with belts, variable speed hydraulic sheaves, gearboxes/gearcases, chains, slip clutches, etc.
My job is primarily to define and conduct lab and field tests on our engineering test units to validate system function, performance, and reliability. I do a lot of work with data analysis to develop load cases/profiles from lab and field which gets back-fed to design engineers for continuous improvement. We send machines all over the world to hit the customer conditions the product is expected to be sold in. Also dabble quite a bit in software, electrical, data automation, and hydraulics as my drive systems are typically controlled and/or monitored by these other systems. It’s a cool job!

Salary is more than comfortable 😊 (especially when you factor in our low midwest cost of living) and I have been earning a 5-7% salary increase every year based on my personal performance.

I think the thing I like most about working for a large company like John Deere is that I can switch jobs every 2-3 years and it can mostly be based on whatever interest I have / want to learn about next. Keeps things fresh and minimizes burnout. I expect to retire w/ John Deere at 67, which will give me 44 years with the company, and I am hoping I can experience 15-20 different engineering jobs during my time here.
Do you work with CAD/CAM software ever? I used to work at PTC as a technical support engineer and a good buddy of mine there was the account manager for John Deere as well. I liked your post even though I'm connected to Caterpillar now Grinning
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
3/6/2020 8:52am
sumdood wrote:
This made me laugh, and sigh lol. Everyone wants to be a manager, without understanding the hands on part of the job or what they're supposed...
This made me laugh, and sigh lol. Everyone wants to be a manager, without understanding the hands on part of the job or what they're supposed to be managing the guys to do. For me finding guys to do work is the hardest part of my job. At the supply houses there's all kinds of ads on the board from pool guys looking to hire, not one that says "need extra work or looking for a job" Advertise for a "Pool Cleaner" job and see who shows up. 9 out of 10 times it's some kid that makes Jeff Spicoli seem like Einstein and can't fill out the application without crossing shit out 3 times. Then when he finds out it's actually hard work oh shit fuck this. No nights, no weekends, no holidays, off by 3 on friday, paid (well over a grand if they work hard) every Friday, paid week off at Christmas, flexible schedule if needed. Yet finding and training guys is always something I absolutely dread. Other than that it's all gravy haha
You mean you didn’t start at the top?!! Haha.
G-man
3/6/2020 10:26am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2020 9:34pm
mx617 wrote:
I'm a financial advisor, spent ten years building from scratch and then in October took over a decent chunk from a retiring advisor. This year I'm...
I'm a financial advisor, spent ten years building from scratch and then in October took over a decent chunk from a retiring advisor. This year I'm expecting to gross $350k, should be able to keep about 1/3 of that after expenses and taxes.

It was a tough slog the first few years. I think my first year I grossed $27k, but one thing I'm proud of is that every single year I've made a bit more.

The catch is now I finally have enough money to do what I want and I'm short on time lol. Have a 1 year old and a 2 year old at home.
man there are a lot of high-tech rollers in here!Woohoo

Post a reply to: What do you for a living. And what do you earn.

The Latest