What do you bring

ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
7/9/2017 7:19am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 1:35pm
The other day there was a thread that in usual vital trajectory veered off topic (rather quickly) into "vegan"
So I was thinking, let's say we put a colony on Mars in the next 10 years in some sort of biodome.
What do you bring with for food sustenance? Will you need to bring bees? Will there be any animals?
Even if it's just for emotional support? What about to provide a food source? Chickens to help in the garden and to lay eggs? Worms of course, but how complex is your eco system? Right now we do pretty well with a plant fish loop,
The fish poo feeds the plants, the plants clean the water for the fish, they both grow. We then eat both.
TM
|
MR. X
7/9/2017 7:22am
Elk ,whitetail deer and chickens.
7/9/2017 7:57am
Bring fish for the aquaponics system in your green house so you can grow veggies rapidly.

And a cow for cheese burgers!

BMSOBx2
7/9/2017 5:23pm
You guys saw the Martian right? Major issues. Huuuuuge.Grinning

The Shop

JAFO92
7/9/2017 7:47pm
Rabbits. Prolific reproduction, compact size, easy to handle, low-aggression, easily managed manure, hides/fur, the list goes on.
JAFO92
7/9/2017 7:48pm
MR. X wrote:
Elk ,whitetail deer and chickens.
Large animals, especially wild/non domestic, would not work.
MR. X
7/9/2017 8:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2017 8:09pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Rabbits. Prolific reproduction, compact size, easy to handle, low-aggression, easily managed manure, hides/fur, the list goes on.
Edit: You can't safely eat just rabbit , something weird happens ,I forgot the term they used if you try to live on rabbit , something to do with protein.
JAFO92
7/9/2017 8:11pm
MR. X wrote:
Edit: You can't safely eat just rabbit , something weird happens ,I forgot the term they used if you try to live on rabbit , something...
Edit: You can't safely eat just rabbit , something weird happens ,I forgot the term they used if you try to live on rabbit , something to do with protein.
Didnt know that, good to know. Will Google that to find out the details. Thanks for the heads up, learn something new every day !
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/9/2017 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2017 8:19pm
MR. X wrote:
Edit: You can't safely eat just rabbit , something weird happens ,I forgot the term they used if you try to live on rabbit , something...
Ah, I see you changed your original cast from no nutritional value to "rabbit starvation". Who said that rabbits would been eaten exclusively?

They would be a great addition.
MR. X
7/9/2017 8:23pm
MR. X wrote:
kzizok wrote:
Ah, I see you changed your original cast from no nutritional value to "rabbit starvation". Who said that rabbits would been eaten exclusively? They would be...
Ah, I see you changed your original cast from no nutritional value to "rabbit starvation". Who said that rabbits would been eaten exclusively?

I always remember hearing you couldn't eat just rabbit , I always assumed it was from lack of nutrients . I did a quick search and came back and changed it . I still don't understand it fully ,I'm gonna read some more on it and see what the deal is . Long story short ,I talked out my ass..
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/9/2017 8:27pm
MR. X wrote:
kzizok wrote:
Ah, I see you changed your original cast from no nutritional value to "rabbit starvation". Who said that rabbits would been eaten exclusively? They would be...

MR. X wrote:
I always remember hearing you couldn't eat just rabbit , I always assumed it was from lack of nutrients . I did a quick search and...
I always remember hearing you couldn't eat just rabbit , I always assumed it was from lack of nutrients . I did a quick search and came back and changed it . I still don't understand it fully ,I'm gonna read some more on it and see what the deal is . Long story short ,I talked out my ass..
Ha! I can appreciate that as I do that too. I think the main issue is that the meat is actually too lean for exclusive sustenance. Not enough fat. Like an energy use mismatch.
XXVoid MainXX
7/9/2017 8:43pm
I would bring zebras, giraffes, and grizzly bears.
JAFO92
7/9/2017 8:47pm
I would bring zebras, giraffes, and grizzly bears.
Laughing
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
7/9/2017 9:15pm
steed 2.0 wrote:
I think rabbits would be a good addition to the chickens and fish.
I know cricket flour is the next big thing but do you really want to take the chance of insect infestation?
An incredible source of protein though.
Since we now developing tests to determine probability of cancer and other diseases, do you reject anyone who is potentially defective?
TM
Hut
7/9/2017 9:27pm
I don't know about rabbit starvation but mixed with a little squirrel in the pressure cooker makes for a tasty stew.
steed 2.0
7/9/2017 10:05pm
ToolMaker wrote:
I think rabbits would be a good addition to the chickens and fish. I know cricket flour is the next big thing but do you really...
I know cricket flour is the next big thing but do you really want to take the chance of insect infestation?
Since we now developing tests to determine probability of cancer and other diseases, do you reject anyone who is potentially defective?
TM
Water is the biggest problem imo ... so fish and large animals no, Chickens do not produce the best manure
(burn everything away) and bird flu...
Jrewing
7/10/2017 12:13am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2017 12:13am
Loads of dogs as the Asian Empire will be running the show.. you laugh/dispise but it's true

Hopefully some Martian existence realise we're on the move and just disintegrate us not long after
F.B
7/10/2017 6:17am
It could be useful.

ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
7/10/2017 6:59am
ToolMaker wrote:
I think rabbits would be a good addition to the chickens and fish. I know cricket flour is the next big thing but do you really...
TM
steed 2.0 wrote:
Water is the biggest problem imo ... so fish and large animals no, Chickens do not produce the best manure
(burn everything away) and bird flu...
Since there's water on mars I believe that we can somehow process it that we can use it. Distillation? Not sure but I think one of the criteria is setting up somewhere near water supplies. I think we can isolate some chickens without bird flu or maybe a treatment process prior to sending? Also if you grow vegies in dirt the chickens help tend the garden. But in general, aside from the funnies, most here are not expecting the colony to be vegetarian or more strict vegan?
steed 2.0
7/10/2017 7:06am
ToolMaker wrote:
Since there's water on mars I believe that we can somehow process it that we can use it. Distillation? Not sure but I think one of...
Since there's water on mars I believe that we can somehow process it that we can use it. Distillation? Not sure but I think one of the criteria is setting up somewhere near water supplies. I think we can isolate some chickens without bird flu or maybe a treatment process prior to sending? Also if you grow vegies in dirt the chickens help tend the garden. But in general, aside from the funnies, most here are not expecting the colony to be vegetarian or more strict vegan?
Well, I think there is no problem humans can't solve on micro level but, things get complicated when the colonie expands
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/10/2017 9:36am
I would bring 70 tons of dry cereal, beef jerky, water and Coca-Cola. And hope I die before it runs out. Either that, or die shortly after it runs out.
7/10/2017 10:03am
I would bring my Hello Fresh and/or Blueapron subscription.
KMC440
7/10/2017 10:12pm
Skittles, poptarts, chili and corn tortillas ...

oh and potatoes for vodka, will Skittles ferment?
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/11/2017 1:35pm
Jrewing wrote:
BRAWNDO!!!!
Nah, then my space boots would wear out from running around, kicking everyone's ass all the time.

Post a reply to: What do you bring

The Latest