What can you tell me about Salt Lake City UT?

Ebs
Edited Date/Time 9/4/2019 6:53am
Have a transfer opportunity with my current employer. It's not being offered to me but is something I could easily peruse (lateral move, same job/title as current position).

Here would be the workplace area on Google map: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.5878541,-111.9001314/245+9000+S,+San…

What can you tell me about that general area? What are the housing/living options like within 20 minutes drive of that spot? Is getting to the more rural/mountain areas within that drive time possible?

|
BMSOBx2
8/25/2019 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2019 6:17pm
Park City ski area is within easy distance of Salt Lake. Market Street oyster Bar is a great place to eat. Prices are reasonable for housing. They even have strip clubs for the out-of-towners.

Are you a Mormon? Just asking.Whistling
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
8/25/2019 7:28pm
I've been once. I can tell you salt lake smells awful from the brine. The people are rude, but the ladies are friendly Cool also some great offroad places within a days drive.
Hopefully peelout can give ya more info
71Fish
8/25/2019 7:41pm
Everyone is LDS, the scenery is ugly, all of the local beers suck, cool bands skip Utah, no offroading to speak of. Stay away.

The Shop

KMC440
8/26/2019 9:19am
If you don't go I'll swim across Lake Michigan and punch you myself. Cool

You'll regret it if you don't go.
Titan1
8/26/2019 9:19am
That area in Sandy is a great area! The further East you go, the better (more expensive) it gets. If you like Soccer the Real Salt Lake Stadium is just around the corner from there.

If you like Ski/Snowboard...you are probably with about 30-45 minutes of 5 or 6 world class ski resorts...and within an hour of another 3.

If you like to Hike...there are more trails than you could ever hike within about 30 minutes of there...three peaks over 10K, and 2 over 11K.

If you like to ride single track...there is some world class single track within 30 minutes of there...and even more within an hour. and you are three hours from Moab (enough said about that). Sand dunes (little sahara, and Du Binki) within 3 hours as well.

I'm not a moto guy, but I believe there is 5 moto tracks within a couple hours (Jordan River, Ogden, Tooele, Price, Delta).

If you like to spend time on the water (boating, fishing) you'll have three reservoirs within an hour (East Canyon, Jordanelle, Deer Creek).

Economy is booming! Unemployment is so low.

Salt Lake City is one of the cleanest, friendliest, "down towns" Ive ever seen. (Someone mentioned the brine smell...I've honestly never smelled it in Salt Lake City before...and I'm there a lot...out by the Great Salt Lake-the air port-I've smelled it before. But never down down...and certainly not in the area you are looking at.)

5 national parks within a half days drive (Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef)

Downsides:
Because of the mountains the air quality sucks on occasion (usually in the winter inversions).
Not a ton of diversity (but that is gradually changing)
Traffic sucks (but still a lot better than LA)...main issue is that for North/South travel, you've got I-15, and that's about it.
Half the state is LDS...good and bad I guess...usually nice, clean people that are helpful and friendly...but...their morals/values are represented in the state legislature because of how/who they vote for...so we've got funky alcohol laws and a few other weird things...but those values have put people in office that have led the state to one of the best economies in the country and one of the best places to live (my opinion of course).

I love it here...its just so clean (with exceptions of course)...every time I leave, I'm just glad to be home...It's an amazing place to live.
peelout
8/26/2019 12:11pm
Ebs wrote:
Have a transfer opportunity with my current employer. It's not being offered to me but is something I could easily peruse (lateral move, same job/title as...
Have a transfer opportunity with my current employer. It's not being offered to me but is something I could easily peruse (lateral move, same job/title as current position).

Here would be the workplace area on Google map: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.5878541,-111.9001314/245+9000+S,+San…

What can you tell me about that general area? What are the housing/living options like within 20 minutes drive of that spot? Is getting to the more rural/mountain areas within that drive time possible?

bring me a Stafford jersey and i'll show you some killer single-track
Sierra Ranger
9/3/2019 11:56pm
SLC is maybe the cleanest city I have ever been to. I can't think of much not to like. I took a spin out to the Salt Lake and was blown away by the scenery. Utah is freaking awesome.
And I had no trouble finding good bars and drinks when I was there. I was sorta prepared for some weirdness in that regard, but really had no issues. I had fun renting an unreasonably sized pickup when I was there and driving it to God's Country-highly recommended.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
9/4/2019 6:05am
Hey Titan, just to clarify I was referring to the lake itself when I mentioned the brine smell. I never noticed it anywhere else.
Titan1
9/4/2019 6:53am
colintrax wrote:
Hey Titan, just to clarify I was referring to the lake itself when I mentioned the brine smell. I never noticed it anywhere else.
Ah, gotcha...thanks for clarifying.

Post a reply to: What can you tell me about Salt Lake City UT?

The Latest