What are you guys using for security cameras at home?

Edited Date/Time 11/5/2022 11:36pm
I have Arlo, but I really want to switch to something with better quality and instant recording. The arlos seem to have a 2-3 second delay. Their customer service is garbage so I’d really like to try something better
|
TXDirt
11/4/2022 12:28pm
I use ring and blink cameras.

I’ve considered switching everything to Wyze. I know some folks who like those.

I’ve been happy with the Ring wired spot light cameras. Been great!
NvHermit
Fantasy
4326th
11/4/2022 1:53pm
12 camera Lorex system from Costco and it works awesome

JAFO92
11/4/2022 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2022 2:26pm
Used the Arlo thing for a few years and this year stepped up.

Montavue 16 channel NVR

10 PTZs and 6 standard fixed lense. All IR, motion and sound. All of them recording 24/7/365 to surveillance grade drives. Enough space for 30 days - once filled up, the oldest day gets bumped off as new day is recording on so always a month of 24/7 history there to go back to. I dont like 'motion' trigger cameras, I want them always recording with the NVR setup that any motion is tagged on timelines for reference if necessary. All of which can be viewed remotely via PCs or smartphones. Five of the cameras are at the shop, used Gigabeam antennas for the bridge. Works great and very cheap. The PTZs are really nice to check on things around the place in real-time, remotely.

wwdiii
11/4/2022 2:54pm
Have a ring doorbell and ring camera. The doorbell works great. First ring camera went south after a week or so. The trouble shooting ring put me through to get it replaced under Warrenty was off the chart. They did send me a new one.

The new one works when it wants to. Doesn’t stay connected. Now it lost its default area it alarms too and want save new zone. Been putting off calling ring to get it sorted out or send it back.

Camera is handy when it works.

The Shop

rm449
Fantasy
508th
11/4/2022 3:05pm
Unifi
I use it for my home and business. They have a whole ecosystem that has a nice ui.
I like that I don't have to pay for any subscriptions and all the footage is stored locally.
If you have it on a ups and the power goes out you still have the cameras up and running.

What's your budget? How many cameras and how long do you want to be able to go back and view the footage? ( if you're going with a NVR)

agn5008
Fantasy
256th
11/4/2022 3:08pm
I got the Eufy security/door bell system from Amazon a month or so ago. It seems to work really well and there’s no subscription fee.
JAFO92
11/4/2022 3:16pm
rm449 wrote:
Unifi I use it for my home and business. They have a whole ecosystem that has a nice ui. I like that I don't have to...
Unifi
I use it for my home and business. They have a whole ecosystem that has a nice ui.
I like that I don't have to pay for any subscriptions and all the footage is stored locally.
If you have it on a ups and the power goes out you still have the cameras up and running.

What's your budget? How many cameras and how long do you want to be able to go back and view the footage? ( if you're going with a NVR)

Same here with no subscriptions and all that. Like you, I have the NVR and POE switches on a APC SmartUPS 3000 so nothing goes down if a goofus thinks turning off power is gonna shut off the cameras.

Nice wiring on the rack BTW.
Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
724th
11/4/2022 6:35pm
Arlo as well
No subscription, keeps video for 7 days for up to 5 CAMS. If you want more just enter them under another email and you get 5 more..ect.
11/4/2022 6:42pm
Well now I’m going to look into the NVR route, i hadn’t considered that. I don’t want to spend a bunch of money, and really only need 3-4 cameras for the house. Inside garage, front of garage, front and back doors.
NvHermit
Fantasy
4326th
11/4/2022 6:54pm
I'm not tech savvy so I had to look up NVR and found out I've always had that with my Lorex
11/5/2022 12:05am
rm449 wrote:
Unifi I use it for my home and business. They have a whole ecosystem that has a nice ui. I like that I don't have to...
Unifi

I was just looking into the montavue ultra HD with a 2TB HDD. It’s well above what I planned on spending, but at around $500 with 4 cameras, and no batteries or subscriptions, it seems like a good deal/idea. I like the idea of always recording, especially when doing projects in the garage
rm449
Fantasy
508th
11/5/2022 5:15am
I was just looking into the montavue ultra HD with a 2TB HDD. It’s well above what I planned on spending, but at around $500 with...
I was just looking into the montavue ultra HD with a 2TB HDD. It’s well above what I planned on spending, but at around $500 with 4 cameras, and no batteries or subscriptions, it seems like a good deal/idea. I like the idea of always recording, especially when doing projects in the garage
Whatever you get make sure you like the interface. Some of the cheaper nvrs are hard to setup and have bad apps.
Make sure you get a Hard drive that is rated for surveillance systems. I personally put WD Purple hard drives in all my setups. If you're into tech stuff and like to do this kinda stuff there is all kind of ways to do it.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
11/5/2022 9:54am
I paid too much to have 17 cameras installed at my house many years ago and they dont always work. I bought these sunglo solar wireless for my farm and the work great and have 360 degree controls in all directions from phone. Here is a screenshot of current view.

11/5/2022 11:36pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Used the Arlo thing for a few years and this year stepped up. Montavue 16 channel NVR 10 PTZs and 6 standard fixed lense. All IR...
Used the Arlo thing for a few years and this year stepped up.

Montavue 16 channel NVR

10 PTZs and 6 standard fixed lense. All IR, motion and sound. All of them recording 24/7/365 to surveillance grade drives. Enough space for 30 days - once filled up, the oldest day gets bumped off as new day is recording on so always a month of 24/7 history there to go back to. I dont like 'motion' trigger cameras, I want them always recording with the NVR setup that any motion is tagged on timelines for reference if necessary. All of which can be viewed remotely via PCs or smartphones. Five of the cameras are at the shop, used Gigabeam antennas for the bridge. Works great and very cheap. The PTZs are really nice to check on things around the place in real-time, remotely.

I think I may go with these.
https://montavue.com/products/4k-8-channel-home-surveillance-system-w-4…

How is the app? My garage and router are pretty close, so I was thinking about setting up the NVR in my garage so I don’t have to run 4 cat5 cables into my living room

Post a reply to: What are you guys using for security cameras at home?

The Latest