Welding and Cutting Steel

ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/17/2018 3:38pm
newmann wrote:
Funny that this post got bumped back up, was just emailing Iwreckalot a couple weeks back asking what he was using to cut metal with these...
Funny that this post got bumped back up, was just emailing Iwreckalot a couple weeks back asking what he was using to cut metal with these days. I'm about to embark on a few DIY projects and looking to step it up from my abrasive chop saw. Not wanting to break the bank, but looking for a cold saw like you mention above that could cut dual miters. Any suggestions other than going to a real deal band saw? The old chop saw blade tends to deflect a little and make for some less that desirable joints.
What is "Not wanting to break the bank"?
What are we talking $100-$500 or $500-$1k
A good saw and sander will save a lot of time
and frustration. Straight accurate cuts to start
are very helpful.
newmann
5/17/2018 3:55pm
newmann wrote:
Funny that this post got bumped back up, was just emailing Iwreckalot a couple weeks back asking what he was using to cut metal with these...
Funny that this post got bumped back up, was just emailing Iwreckalot a couple weeks back asking what he was using to cut metal with these days. I'm about to embark on a few DIY projects and looking to step it up from my abrasive chop saw. Not wanting to break the bank, but looking for a cold saw like you mention above that could cut dual miters. Any suggestions other than going to a real deal band saw? The old chop saw blade tends to deflect a little and make for some less that desirable joints.
ToolMaker wrote:
What is "Not wanting to break the bank"? What are we talking $100-$500 or $500-$1k A good saw and sander will save a lot of time...
What is "Not wanting to break the bank"?
What are we talking $100-$500 or $500-$1k
A good saw and sander will save a lot of time
and frustration. Straight accurate cuts to start
are very helpful.
$1000.00 - $2000.00??
MR. X
5/17/2018 7:03pm
newmann wrote:
$1000.00 - $2000.00??
What kind of material are you planning on cutting ? What about a plasma cutter ? My buddy has been using a small miller unit and really likes it. I wonder what a used iron worker is going for ?
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/17/2018 7:45pm
newmann wrote:
$1000.00 - $2000.00??
We bought a used one of these for $500. Replaced the bearings that hold the blade straight
and the cuts are very good. The thing I like about this saw is that the saw rotates instead of the vise
for angled cuts. A very nice feature. the nice thing about the horizontal band saw is the versatility.
Yes a cold saw is more accurate and really nice, but not nearly as versatile. If you are buying new
I think you can stay under budget also well should be close anyway. Ours gets used a lot.
TM
http://www.rongfu.com/en/Light-Duty-Band-Saw/RF-712DR.html

The Shop

newmann
5/17/2018 7:52pm
newmann wrote:
$1000.00 - $2000.00??
MR. X wrote:
What kind of material are you planning on cutting ? What about a plasma cutter ? My buddy has been using a small miller unit and...
What kind of material are you planning on cutting ? What about a plasma cutter ? My buddy has been using a small miller unit and really likes it. I wonder what a used iron worker is going for ?
Mostly square tubing. Wanting to build myself a killer 9 1/2 foot work bench for my shop at home as well as a few other carts, shelves, kitchen island, welding/fab table.....
MR. X
5/18/2018 3:02am
newmann wrote:
$1000.00 - $2000.00??
MR. X wrote:
What kind of material are you planning on cutting ? What about a plasma cutter ? My buddy has been using a small miller unit and...
newmann wrote:
Mostly square tubing. Wanting to build myself a killer 9 1/2 foot work bench for my shop at home as well as a few other carts...
Mostly square tubing. Wanting to build myself a killer 9 1/2 foot work bench for my shop at home as well as a few other carts, shelves, kitchen island, welding/fab table.....
Ya , a cold saw is the ticket . Never used one myself but they seem really handy to have around.
MR. X
5/18/2018 8:29am
I lifted a picture off the internet to give you an idea for your work bench , i'm gonna incorporate some of these in to a work bench when i build one . Mount one of those fancy vices on a plate with square tubing and have a few 2 inch receivers around the bench to add a vice in different locations or take it off when not in use.
borg
5/18/2018 8:53am
MR. X wrote:
I lifted a picture off the internet to give you an idea for your work bench , i'm gonna incorporate some of these in to a...
I lifted a picture off the internet to give you an idea for your work bench , i'm gonna incorporate some of these in to a work bench when i build one . Mount one of those fancy vices on a plate with square tubing and have a few 2 inch receivers around the bench to add a vice in different locations or take it off when not in use.
A little advice for welding steel. You cannot stop steel from squirming with clamps. For example in the pic, if you burn a bead across the top of that 2" tube it will pull the end up and it will not be perpendicular. The clamps can help with tacking but even then you have to "sneak" up on joints like that.
MR. X
5/18/2018 9:17am
MR. X wrote:
I lifted a picture off the internet to give you an idea for your work bench , i'm gonna incorporate some of these in to a...
borg wrote:
A little advice for welding steel. You cannot stop steel from squirming with clamps. For example in the pic, if you burn a bead across the...
A little advice for welding steel. You cannot stop steel from squirming with clamps. For example in the pic, if you burn a bead across the top of that 2" tube it will pull the end up and it will not be perpendicular. The clamps can help with tacking but even then you have to "sneak" up on joints like that.
That's not my set up , it's a picture to illustrate adding receivers on a bench to add or remove bench vices quickly.
newmann
5/18/2018 9:34am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 9:40am
The receiver mounts work for a lot of accessories other than just mounting a vise. Some different shaping anvils, tapers and balls rigged up and ready to slide in for sheet metal shaping and pipe building.

The workbench I'm building for the house will have a 2 inch thick wood top on a 2 inch square tube framework on wheels. I have a new 6 1/2 Snap On Wilton vise to go on the end of it.
tunedlength
5/18/2018 4:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 4:43pm
I was set to buy a fresh used cold saw for my shop and thought I would purchase a dry cut makita ( https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/LC1230 ) to use while I was looking.
Its been six years and this saw is still working perfectly.
Cuts 1/4 thick wall 4" square tubing really well.
I quit looking for a cold saw.

Another option that works surprisingly well is a bench-top band saw-

https://www.trick-tools.com/Femi_782XL_Benchtop_Mitering_Bandsaw_F_782X…
MR. X
5/18/2018 5:26pm
Speaking of cutting metal ,did you guys see this cute little bugger?
borg
5/18/2018 6:40pm
MR. X wrote:
borg wrote:
A little advice for welding steel. You cannot stop steel from squirming with clamps. For example in the pic, if you burn a bead across the...
MR. X wrote:
That's not my set up , it's a picture to illustrate adding receivers on a bench to add or remove bench vices quickly.
Yes. I know that. I was not criticizing the setup. I was just leaving a tip for some of the welding newbies.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/18/2018 7:01pm
I was set to buy a fresh used cold saw for my shop and thought I would purchase a dry cut makita ( https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/LC1230 ) to...
I was set to buy a fresh used cold saw for my shop and thought I would purchase a dry cut makita ( https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/LC1230 ) to use while I was looking.

What are you making in your shop? And how many of a specific size would be typical job size?
If you're doing 2-10 pcs of a part that's OK, but what if you're doing 100 pcs?
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/18/2018 9:36pm
A work bench we made and just got back from the powder coater. And yes the top is supposed to be off set. Left the top unpainted in case we want to do some welding on it. Bent the sides over to keep it straight. Put holes in the sides as well for reasons that will reveal themselves when we need them.

Markee
Fantasy
2006th
5/19/2018 6:32am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2018 7:18am
Markee wrote:
Glad you got what you need sorted out. Reading through the thread, a couple things people seem to be thrilled with leaves me surprised. A abrasive...
Glad you got what you need sorted out.

Reading through the thread, a couple things people seem to be thrilled with leaves me surprised. A abrasive chop saw and flux core wire feed welding. Both have a purpose but very messy for general use. Messy with sparks and weld/cut quality.

One of the two fairly cheap alternatives to the abrasive chop saw are carbide bit metal blade chop saw. Only cons are noise and blade cost. Ver low heat created, true and fast for a little more cost of the abrasive disc. No, I would not use a metal cutting blade in a saw not designed for it. And never every use a metal blade on a abrasive saw, NEVER.

The second is a portaband saw with cutting table. This little dude is really something for smaller projects which I call "bench top" projects aka "garage jobs" which need no secondary lifting equipment like hoist, cranes.. etc.. A small company I'm a fan of, SWAG off road who makes a bunch of specialty tools that are pretty awesome. Now they focus on off road specifics, but a lot of the tools are cross platform.

Portaband Table - They have 4 different models, I have one using a cheap harbor freight saw with foot pedal switch.

I'm sure by now you have mastered one of the most versatile tools, the 4 1/2 angle grinder. I have 5 hanging on the wall, all with one purpose. Cutting, grinding, polishing, buffing and flap disc.

Welding in nature opens a can of worms with experts and opinions. But the flux core route is great for outdoor and utilizing the max amperage output of your machine. Flux Core is hotter so you can get better penetration on a single pass vs MIG. But most home garage steel projects will just be cleaner with a MIG setup that handles most of the metal thickness you will be using.

Also, it is very true to buy a machine that well exceeds what you "need" at that moment. I'm talking the most expensive machine you can afford that doesn't get you divorced. Because even then you will probably exceed its limits if you enjoy fabricating.

Man I could go on and on on this subject. Some other tools that are nice to have at the least: Drill press (bench top works great) Miter gig for tube couping, metal top fab table with vise, oxygen/acetylene rig for cutting, heating/bending, and anything that measures, I mean anything.. tapes, calipers, gauges, protractors, etc...

Enjoy the creative journey my friend. My late night garage projects landed me a highly compensated industrial maintenance gig in the steel industry.
newmann wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Power-Tools-EVOSAW380-15-Inch/dp/B003T…

I have a Milwaukee version of that, basically the same. Its going to be pretty true cut. Great for your project. I mostly cut tubing with mine. Use ear protection, holy shit its loud.

I forgot to add sander/belt sander to my earlier post. I have a blue point disc/belt sander connected to a bench top grinder. Its priceless in many ways. Really helps true up tubing cuts like you mentioned when the blade "walks".

On a quick search I couldn't find the exact model I have but this is basically the same: https://www.amazon.com/MultiTool-36-Belt-Grinding-Attachment/dp/B00BNBA…

But mine came with a table that butts up to the round disc for facing tubing cuts.

MR. X
5/19/2018 6:46am
ToolMaker wrote:
A work bench we made and just got back from the powder coater. And yes the top is supposed to be off set. Left the top...
A work bench we made and just got back from the powder coater. And yes the top is supposed to be off set. Left the top unpainted in case we want to do some welding on it. Bent the sides over to keep it straight. Put holes in the sides as well for reasons that will reveal themselves when we need them.

Perfect little work station
newmann
5/19/2018 11:34am
Just ordered up a 114” x 24” x 2” maple butcher block from the local cabinet shop. Will be glued up in 3/4” strips. Now to order up some 2 inch tubing and decide on a saw.
IWreckALot
5/19/2018 12:45pm
newmann wrote:
Just ordered up a 114” x 24” x 2” maple butcher block from the local cabinet shop. Will be glued up in 3/4” strips. Now to...
Just ordered up a 114” x 24” x 2” maple butcher block from the local cabinet shop. Will be glued up in 3/4” strips. Now to order up some 2 inch tubing and decide on a saw.
We used a band saw to cut the pickets for my wrought iron fence. After using that, I really wish I had a little more real estate in my garage to get one of those. $1000-2000 is a good budget for a sizable stationary bandsaw.

Something like this would be badass to have.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-12-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G0561
IWreckALot
5/19/2018 1:08pm
newmann wrote:
Just ordered up a 114” x 24” x 2” maple butcher block from the local cabinet shop. Will be glued up in 3/4” strips. Now to...
What are you going to finish that with? Is that for a work bench? Or countertop in the house?
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/19/2018 1:16pm
newmann wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
We used a band saw to cut the pickets for my wrought iron fence. After using that, I really wish I had a little more real...
We used a band saw to cut the pickets for my wrought iron fence. After using that, I really wish I had a little more real estate in my garage to get one of those. $1000-2000 is a good budget for a sizable stationary bandsaw.

Something like this would be badass to have.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-12-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G0561
Di you click on the link I posted earlier? Similar saw but instead of
changing the angle of the vise, you rotate the saw. Just for convenience
alone it's way better. Let's say you start with a 20 ft tube, and want to
cut a 30 deg angle. Instead of rotating your 20 ft tube around to the middle
of the shop or disrupt the location of the saw, you rotate the head to the
proper cutting angle. If you're doing accurate cuts, you've already got the
support level to the saw so you don't have to keep changing things.
IWreckALot
5/19/2018 1:31pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Di you click on the link I posted earlier? Similar saw but instead of changing the angle of the vise, you rotate the saw. Just for...
Di you click on the link I posted earlier? Similar saw but instead of
changing the angle of the vise, you rotate the saw. Just for convenience
alone it's way better. Let's say you start with a 20 ft tube, and want to
cut a 30 deg angle. Instead of rotating your 20 ft tube around to the middle
of the shop or disrupt the location of the saw, you rotate the head to the
proper cutting angle. If you're doing accurate cuts, you've already got the
support level to the saw so you don't have to keep changing things.
My bad I missed that post. That would be way better.

Been a long day so far. Brewed up a batch of beer and welded up this doo hockey for my generator.
newmann
5/19/2018 2:16pm
newmann wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
What are you going to finish that with? Is that for a work bench? Or countertop in the house?
Workbench in my home shop. Probably just give it a good soaking of mineral oil for a week. I'll get a 24x30 sheet of stainless and cabinet grade ply to throw up there for projects that may get rough.
tunedlength
5/19/2018 11:13pm
I was set to buy a fresh used cold saw for my shop and thought I would purchase a dry cut makita ( https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/LC1230 ) to...

ToolMaker wrote:
What are you making in your shop? And how many of a specific size would be typical job size? If you're doing 2-10 pcs of a...
What are you making in your shop? And how many of a specific size would be typical job size?
If you're doing 2-10 pcs of a part that's OK, but what if you're doing 100 pcs?
The Makita is used in my home shop.
If I was doing job shop quantity's I would use a cold saw.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/20/2018 10:30am
The Makita is used in my home shop.
If I was doing job shop quantity's I would use a cold saw.
In our last shop we had 3 Haberle circular (cold) saws, all set up for different materials/jobs
Totally sold on they are the best choice for the right job but for small shop
I think the versatility of the horizontal band saw should be considered.
TM

Post a reply to: Welding and Cutting Steel

The Latest