Welding and Cutting Steel

IWreckALot
12/23/2014 8:28am
My welder is pissing me off. The wire feed seems to be getting bogged down by the tip. I've tried a brand new tip but the feeder still bogs down. I might try to increase the tension knob inside the door. I hadn't thought about that until just now but it's difficult to even hand feed the wire through a new tip. I have my doubts if that will work or not.

When I was using my buddy's welder, he had a .035 tip and .030 wire and there were no issues with the wire feed and it didn't seem to cause any other problems either. Is there something I should be concerned about if I decide to do that?
newmann
12/23/2014 9:08am
IWreckALot wrote:
My welder is pissing me off. The wire feed seems to be getting bogged down by the tip. I've tried a brand new tip but the...
My welder is pissing me off. The wire feed seems to be getting bogged down by the tip. I've tried a brand new tip but the feeder still bogs down. I might try to increase the tension knob inside the door. I hadn't thought about that until just now but it's difficult to even hand feed the wire through a new tip. I have my doubts if that will work or not.

When I was using my buddy's welder, he had a .035 tip and .030 wire and there were no issues with the wire feed and it didn't seem to cause any other problems either. Is there something I should be concerned about if I decide to do that?
Remove the contact tip and see if there is still restriction with the wire going through the lead. Might have a kinked inner liner in the lead. You don't want to increase the tension to the point you start birdnesting the wire. Too large a contact tip will cause it to spit and sputter as well if I am not mistaken.

I had bought a brand new Miller from the local welding shop and no one would ever use it. Finally they just told me it sucked. Come to find out it had a kinked liner and wouldn't feed properly.
bronwynrayne
12/23/2014 9:40am
When this happens you can take the tip off, feed the wire out an inch or two, then put the tip on with the wire fed through it already when you thread it on.

If that doesn't fix it there is a part that the tip threads onto that has an allen key adjuster on it, try that.

If none of that works your liner could definitely be kinked... or the tension on the wire from the feeder arms is wrong.

Good luck!
IWreckALot
12/23/2014 11:07am
Removing the tip allows the wire to feed freely. Even trying to feed the wire through the tip by hand, not attached to the gun, I can feel it binding. It's like the hole is cut the same size as the wire whereas the hole should be just slightly larger than the wire so that it can feed easier.

If that doesn't fix it there is a part that the tip threads onto that has an allen key adjuster on it, try that.

I'll take a look at this when I get home. If this doesn't work, I picked up some .030 tips on my lunch and I'll just use that. It didn't sputter too much in my buddy's machine but I'll keep an eye out on it just in case.

The Shop

newmann
12/23/2014 11:09am
What size wire are you using? What size contact tip? Is this a flux cored setup?
IWreckALot
12/23/2014 11:11am
Flux Core and .035 on both.
newmann
12/23/2014 1:00pm
Wire is nice and smooth with no burrs or corrosion? Where did you get the wire and have you tried a different brand?
IWreckALot
12/23/2014 1:30pm
newmann wrote:
Wire is nice and smooth with no burrs or corrosion? Where did you get the wire and have you tried a different brand?
Wire was brand new and I can't find any inconsistencies with the wire. The wire came with the welder so I imagine it's the right stuff. It's gotta be something I'm doing wrong. I'm going to play with it tonight and see if I can't figure it out.
IWreckALot
12/24/2014 4:29am
Wire tension was set too low. Tightened it to the B setting and it feeds like a champ.
hillbilly
12/24/2014 5:20am
When this happens you can take the tip off, feed the wire out an inch or two, then put the tip on with the wire fed...
When this happens you can take the tip off, feed the wire out an inch or two, then put the tip on with the wire fed through it already when you thread it on.

If none of that works your liner could definitely be kinked... or the tension on the wire from the feeder arms is wrong.

Good luck!
The liner wore out in my 200 miller and made wire feed eratic. Sort of a easy fix and good as new.

IWreckALot
12/24/2014 5:36am
Here is my first finished product. It's the chair cart I referenced in the original post. m
newmann
12/25/2014 7:57am
And so it begins. Everything will soon have wheels!
domoguchi
12/25/2014 8:15am
IWreckALot wrote:
Here is my first finished product. It's the chair cart I referenced in the original post. m[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/12/24/74898/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Here is my first finished product. It's the chair cart I referenced in the original post. m
Well done Sir ! Great first project and a fantastic result. What's cool about watching this first build for me is that you built it for your Mom.....to make her life just a tad bit easier...Very cool indeed....

Also you started to develop a new skill that is very handy to know.....I was born and raised on a huge daily farm, knowing how to weld correctly was an absolute mandatory skill to master...

MR. X
12/25/2014 9:15am

I did the same thing a few years back, I bought a cheap mig welder and some stock and learned how to weld making a snowmobile lift.
wildbill
12/26/2014 1:10pm
Make sure your gun and lead don't have any twists in them. Really noticeable on the longer leads as you can pull them straight and turn cw or ccw and feel where it's suppose to be. Don't step or drive over leads either or like hillbilly says, your line gets damaged.

Using lube and saturating a wire cleaner can help too.

IWreckALot
1/1/2015 6:04pm
Im building my welding table now. Keeping things square and plum and all that is quite a trick. Especially when you don't have a square surface to build on. It has taken quite some time to set up each weld though.

The framing is 2x2 square tubing with 3/16 walls. Cutting that stuff with the chop saw is too time consuming so I've been cutting it with my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. It goes faster that way. I am going to use 1/2 x 6 inch flat stock for the top. I'll post more pics when I'm done. The rigid casters are on back order so it'll be a month or two. Here is where I'm at so far.

borg
1/1/2015 6:24pm
One of the last machines I worked on.

This is in our shop almost ready to ship.

This is moving into position at our customer's plant.

I did all the fabricating and piping. My partner did the hydraulics and controls.

domoguchi
1/1/2015 7:12pm
borg wrote:
One of the last machines I worked on. This is in our shop almost ready to ship. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/01/75696/s1200_PC040016.jpg[/img] This is moving into position at our customer's...
One of the last machines I worked on.

This is in our shop almost ready to ship.

This is moving into position at our customer's plant.

I did all the fabricating and piping. My partner did the hydraulics and controls.

OK, I give !
What the hell is it ?
borg
1/1/2015 7:57pm
It's an EPS molding press. EPS stands for expandable poly-styrene. You know the white foam packaging that comes with TV's and just about everything electronic. This is the machine that actually molds the shapes.
domoguchi
1/1/2015 8:07pm
borg wrote:
It's an EPS molding press. EPS stands for expandable poly-styrene. You know the white foam packaging that comes with TV's and just about everything electronic. This...
It's an EPS molding press. EPS stands for expandable poly-styrene. You know the white foam packaging that comes with TV's and just about everything electronic. This is the machine that actually molds the shapes.
Very Cool !

Hell of a system....I would have never guessed that...

Great work you guys are doing.

Thanks

borg
1/1/2015 8:12pm
borg wrote:
It's an EPS molding press. EPS stands for expandable poly-styrene. You know the white foam packaging that comes with TV's and just about everything electronic. This...
domoguchi wrote:
Very Cool !

Hell of a system....I would have never guessed that...

Great work you guys are doing.

Thanks

That was the last one. They had to bring me out of retirement to do it. I think it was about 10 years ago. There is a company in AZ that wants one but I'm not sure I want to do it.
IWreckALot
1/28/2015 7:47am
I got my table complete. It was tough keeping it all square. Id say the frame is about 96% square but the top is dead nuts square and flat. My floor is far from flat though so I think I'm going to build some adjusters into the casters so that I can keep it from rocking a little. I have a couple of little projects that I'm about to start. I want to build and entertainment center for our living room and possibly a matching coffee table. I have a design in mind and enough steel to make it already. Just have to map out the cuts and welds.

Sorry to bump my own thread but I figured what the hell on a slow day. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to make some badass machinery like Borg. That thing looks sweet.

5/12/2018 10:57pm
That is just for now with the subject best auto darkening welding helmet. Expectation you as of now got the thought you required. We demonstrated to you the surveys of some Amazon items. We likewise give you some fundamental purchasing tips. Presently, where you contribute, contribute shrewdly that is my recommendation.
https://bestreviewexpress.com/best-auto-darkening-welding-helmet/
KMC440
5/13/2018 6:01am
I know this is an old thread but I'll throw this in for measure... I've got a Miller 130xp 110v that when running on gas (not flux) I couldn't be happier with. Welded up our roll cage in the ChumpCar with it and it did a great job, my welding .... well Whistling .

At the track hooked to my Honda eu3000is generator, holy cow it was fantastic!!!

New in 2001 they were $600+ if you need a good household welder don't pass this one up, it's a good deal.
IWreckALot
5/13/2018 7:10am
KMC440 wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I'll throw this in for measure... I've got a Miller 130xp 110v that when running on gas (not...
I know this is an old thread but I'll throw this in for measure... I've got a Miller 130xp 110v that when running on gas (not flux) I couldn't be happier with. Welded up our roll cage in the ChumpCar with it and it did a great job, my welding .... well Whistling .

At the track hooked to my Honda eu3000is generator, holy cow it was fantastic!!!

New in 2001 they were $600+ if you need a good household welder don't pass this one up, it's a good deal.
Haha. This thread is a blast from the past. I somewhat know what I’m doing now. I agree that flux core welding is crap. I’m still liking the 220v wire welder. I tried a stick welder not too long ago and I would definitely need practice to get good at that.

I just got done welding and priming these 11 fence panels. Welded yesterday and primed this morning.
MR. X
5/13/2018 10:43am
IWreckALot wrote:
Haha. This thread is a blast from the past. I somewhat know what I’m doing now. I agree that flux core welding is crap. I’m still...
Haha. This thread is a blast from the past. I somewhat know what I’m doing now. I agree that flux core welding is crap. I’m still liking the 220v wire welder. I tried a stick welder not too long ago and I would definitely need practice to get good at that.

I just got done welding and priming these 11 fence panels. Welded yesterday and primed this morning.
replacing the fence you sprayed primer all over ? Laughing
IWreckALot
5/13/2018 12:38pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Haha. This thread is a blast from the past. I somewhat know what I’m doing now. I agree that flux core welding is crap. I’m still...

MR. X wrote:
replacing the fence you sprayed primer all over ? Laughing
My whole fence which is probably 50 panels of fencing is going to have to be replaced sooner than later. So yeah I don’t care about the fence. Lol.
Foghorn
5/14/2018 8:43am
IWreckALot wrote:

Flux core welding is the ticket when you get into serious structural welding including pile caps. Gas is not good in outdoor conditions. We're using Miller XMT-450s (100% duty cycle) in conjunction with truck mounted welding machines able to provide CV (constant voltage). The speed and quality compared to SMAW welding is impressive.

Markee
Fantasy
2006th
5/17/2018 10:55am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2018 10:56am
Glad you got what you need sorted out.

Reading through the thread, a couple things people seem to be thrilled with leaves me surprised. A abrasive chop saw and flux core wire feed welding. Both have a purpose but very messy for general use. Messy with sparks and weld/cut quality.

One of the two fairly cheap alternatives to the abrasive chop saw are carbide bit metal blade chop saw. Only cons are noise and blade cost. Ver low heat created, true and fast for a little more cost of the abrasive disc. No, I would not use a metal cutting blade in a saw not designed for it. And never every use a metal blade on a abrasive saw, NEVER.

The second is a portaband saw with cutting table. This little dude is really something for smaller projects which I call "bench top" projects aka "garage jobs" which need no secondary lifting equipment like hoist, cranes.. etc.. A small company I'm a fan of, SWAG off road who makes a bunch of specialty tools that are pretty awesome. Now they focus on off road specifics, but a lot of the tools are cross platform.

Portaband Table - They have 4 different models, I have one using a cheap harbor freight saw with foot pedal switch.

I'm sure by now you have mastered one of the most versatile tools, the 4 1/2 angle grinder. I have 5 hanging on the wall, all with one purpose. Cutting, grinding, polishing, buffing and flap disc.

Welding in nature opens a can of worms with experts and opinions. But the flux core route is great for outdoor and utilizing the max amperage output of your machine. Flux Core is hotter so you can get better penetration on a single pass vs MIG. But most home garage steel projects will just be cleaner with a MIG setup that handles most of the metal thickness you will be using.

Also, it is very true to buy a machine that well exceeds what you "need" at that moment. I'm talking the most expensive machine you can afford that doesn't get you divorced. Because even then you will probably exceed its limits if you enjoy fabricating.

Man I could go on and on on this subject. Some other tools that are nice to have at the least: Drill press (bench top works great) Miter gig for tube couping, metal top fab table with vise, oxygen/acetylene rig for cutting, heating/bending, and anything that measures, I mean anything.. tapes, calipers, gauges, protractors, etc...

Enjoy the creative journey my friend. My late night garage projects landed me a highly compensated industrial maintenance gig in the steel industry.
newmann
5/17/2018 12:27pm
Markee wrote:
Glad you got what you need sorted out. Reading through the thread, a couple things people seem to be thrilled with leaves me surprised. A abrasive...
Glad you got what you need sorted out.

Reading through the thread, a couple things people seem to be thrilled with leaves me surprised. A abrasive chop saw and flux core wire feed welding. Both have a purpose but very messy for general use. Messy with sparks and weld/cut quality.

One of the two fairly cheap alternatives to the abrasive chop saw are carbide bit metal blade chop saw. Only cons are noise and blade cost. Ver low heat created, true and fast for a little more cost of the abrasive disc. No, I would not use a metal cutting blade in a saw not designed for it. And never every use a metal blade on a abrasive saw, NEVER.

The second is a portaband saw with cutting table. This little dude is really something for smaller projects which I call "bench top" projects aka "garage jobs" which need no secondary lifting equipment like hoist, cranes.. etc.. A small company I'm a fan of, SWAG off road who makes a bunch of specialty tools that are pretty awesome. Now they focus on off road specifics, but a lot of the tools are cross platform.

Portaband Table - They have 4 different models, I have one using a cheap harbor freight saw with foot pedal switch.

I'm sure by now you have mastered one of the most versatile tools, the 4 1/2 angle grinder. I have 5 hanging on the wall, all with one purpose. Cutting, grinding, polishing, buffing and flap disc.

Welding in nature opens a can of worms with experts and opinions. But the flux core route is great for outdoor and utilizing the max amperage output of your machine. Flux Core is hotter so you can get better penetration on a single pass vs MIG. But most home garage steel projects will just be cleaner with a MIG setup that handles most of the metal thickness you will be using.

Also, it is very true to buy a machine that well exceeds what you "need" at that moment. I'm talking the most expensive machine you can afford that doesn't get you divorced. Because even then you will probably exceed its limits if you enjoy fabricating.

Man I could go on and on on this subject. Some other tools that are nice to have at the least: Drill press (bench top works great) Miter gig for tube couping, metal top fab table with vise, oxygen/acetylene rig for cutting, heating/bending, and anything that measures, I mean anything.. tapes, calipers, gauges, protractors, etc...

Enjoy the creative journey my friend. My late night garage projects landed me a highly compensated industrial maintenance gig in the steel industry.
Funny that this post got bumped back up, was just emailing Iwreckalot a couple weeks back asking what he was using to cut metal with these days. I'm about to embark on a few DIY projects and looking to step it up from my abrasive chop saw. Not wanting to break the bank, but looking for a cold saw like you mention above that could cut dual miters. Any suggestions other than going to a real deal band saw? The old chop saw blade tends to deflect a little and make for some less that desirable joints.

Post a reply to: Welding and Cutting Steel

The Latest