Website building software

Sprew
Any recommendations of software for building websites? I just don't feel like I need to know cascading style sheets or memorizing html code to get the layout I want. Just a drag and drop like the old microsoft front page but with a bit more features. Not looking to sell, just a informative site but need to swap out information frequently (PDF's, Pics, Links, etc.) Something that will interface with most browsers.

Would like control of the layout as opposed to most hosting sites that offer limited designs. Something like a GUI, WYSIWIG environment that generates the code in the back ground. Cant seem to pin a good one down.

Thanks
|
akillerwombat
5/22/2018 6:15pm
Dreamweaver is industry standard.

But, with the way things are constantly changing with mobile, I'd recommend going with a place like Square Space or Wix unless you intend on doing the upkeep yourself.
Sprew
5/22/2018 6:35pm
Thanks. Yeah I do plan on doing the upkeep. I thought Dreamweaver was more dependent on defining code. I will look into the other two.
akillerwombat
5/22/2018 6:44pm
It is more code based, but, they do have some very basic templates.

Wordpress is another great option, has far more control than the other two places (Square Space and Wix), a shit ton of templates, and you can still get into all of the HTML if you host it yourself.

The Shop

level
5/22/2018 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 8:03pm
Everweb is the best hands down. Much like iWeb but way better. Even builds mobile sites. You won’t be disappointed and it’s a wysiwyg editor. It’s amazing. Super powerful and easy. Trust me on this.
Sprew
5/23/2018 9:40am
level wrote:
Everweb is the best hands down. Much like iWeb but way better. Even builds mobile sites. You won’t be disappointed and it’s a wysiwyg editor. It’s...
Everweb is the best hands down. Much like iWeb but way better. Even builds mobile sites. You won’t be disappointed and it’s a wysiwyg editor. It’s amazing. Super powerful and easy. Trust me on this.
Looks good! Mac only?
SKlein
5/23/2018 10:39am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2018 1:23pm
I had to use Wordpress when I built my site for a class. I had no prior experience with site development and it was actually really easy getting a grasp of how to use it.
Rooster
5/23/2018 11:49am
Wordpress will be the easiest to build a site that dynamically resizes for mobile.

Plus it gives you infinitely more control than squarespace or wix. Of course more control also means more complexity, but for all the various different content management systems for website building, it's definitely the easiest to use with the most resources available.
level
5/23/2018 2:15pm
level wrote:
Everweb is the best hands down. Much like iWeb but way better. Even builds mobile sites. You won’t be disappointed and it’s a wysiwyg editor. It’s...
Sprew wrote:
Looks good! Mac only?
Yep Mac only.
IWreckALot
5/23/2018 6:56pm
I took an html programming class and the teacher had us using notepad to program html. At the end of the semester she allowed us to use dreamweaver. Unreal how big of a pain in the ass that was.
XXVoid MainXX
5/25/2018 6:23am
If it was an HTML programming class I'm not sure why she even allowed you to use dreamweaver at all.
5/25/2018 6:31am
I'd also recommend Wordpress. I haven't tried any others but that's because I've had no problems with Wordpress and I've been happy with my site over the years.
jtiger12
5/26/2018 9:16am
If it was an HTML programming class I'm not sure why she even allowed you to use dreamweaver at all.
You craggly old 'nix guys crack me up with your blind devotion to vi and hand coding everything. Developers are way more productive in even a simple ide with code completion and toolsets with step through debugging, object/class browsers, and design managers. Notepad++ or sublime text is better than vi/vim.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
5/27/2018 6:52am
Was a freelance web developer / Designer in the early 2000s. Just ready through the responses brings back memories. Have been out of the game for years but in the early days, dial up was such a concern and using pre packaged template based programs produced one over coded slow ass site. Probably not a concern with everyone on broadband.

mpy
5/28/2018 8:54am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2018 8:54am
Rooster wrote:
Wordpress will be the easiest to build a site that dynamically resizes for mobile. Plus it gives you infinitely more control than squarespace or wix. Of...
Wordpress will be the easiest to build a site that dynamically resizes for mobile.

Plus it gives you infinitely more control than squarespace or wix. Of course more control also means more complexity, but for all the various different content management systems for website building, it's definitely the easiest to use with the most resources available.
Wordpress is indeed quite easy to use. No problem that can't be sorted with some "google search"...
akmx17
5/28/2018 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2018 5:51pm
As a web developer, I'd say hire me to build you out a custom platform Wink
Id build it in more than likely in Wordpress, but I know a lot of tricks and best ways to handle things to make them super easy for you as I work in it almost everyday.

BUT I think what you want is this -

If your budget is tight, man squarespace is hard to beat, I send a lot of low budget requests to just manage their own site with Squarespace, you don't need me for simple stuff.

Wordpress is great too but I think out of the box and ease of use, Square is where you wanna go.
XXVoid MainXX
5/29/2018 7:26am
jtiger12 wrote:
You craggly old 'nix guys crack me up with your blind devotion to vi and hand coding everything. Developers are way more productive in even a...
You craggly old 'nix guys crack me up with your blind devotion to vi and hand coding everything. Developers are way more productive in even a simple ide with code completion and toolsets with step through debugging, object/class browsers, and design managers. Notepad++ or sublime text is better than vi/vim.
I'm just saying, it's an HTML class. You are there to learn HTML, not to learn how to use a tool that spits out HTML.
akmx17
5/30/2018 2:45am
jtiger12 wrote:
You craggly old 'nix guys crack me up with your blind devotion to vi and hand coding everything. Developers are way more productive in even a...
I'm just saying, it's an HTML class. You are there to learn HTML, not to learn how to use a tool that spits out HTML.
Sadly, during my horrible first-year classes for my degree, we were required to use Dreamweaver but it wasn't horrible. I meant it is horrible, but getting used to IDE's and learning there is stuff like that out there.

I use Visual Studio Code - Made move over from Sublime Text about a year ago. Blown away Microsoft made something so good, with the extensions I have in it and the terminal being right there, easy access to run my gulp files, git and the code hints for WP, Drupal, React are big time savers.

But I love me some VIM.
5/31/2018 6:20am
HTML and CSS are great to know. Take one class at a community college. After 16 weeks you’ll be using it for life.

Post a reply to: Website building software

The Latest