"We don't take white girls down to Tijuana"

Edited Date/Time 5/10/2018 7:58am
I'm about two hours from the border, but we hadn't gone due to being scared of all the crazy shit we had heard about Tijuana. A few people who used to work with my wife talked about going down there years ago and she showed interest in it. They told her, "oh no chica, we don't take white girls down to Tijuana."

Fast forward to last weekend. We rented a really nice house with group of friends. It was just a little south of Tijuana.

Getting into Mexico was a breeze. There was a lot of traffic, but we were able to zip through the border without any kind of questioning, inspection, or passport check.

While we shopped throughout the day the locals would warn us to stay together, and not get too trashed. But they were also giving us the best tequila shots ever.

One night when we were out at a bar by the beach, we saw two girls that were totally trashed, stumbling rather than walking and they just looked obliterated. As they walked away from the bar they had three guys surrounding them. They weren't huddled in close enough to be their siginificant others, but just sort of forming a big circle around them. I tried to watch them for as long as I could, but they disappeared down an alley. I didn't know what to do. I feel like shit because of it, we we're all pretty sloshed, and if I would have tried to intervene I could have ended up dead. When we walked by the same alley that they walked down there was a dude who looked like he was standing guard and a really nice SUV in the parking lot with the engine running. It was just messed up.

It was a weird experience. Our first day there we were looking up beach front property and it was super cheap. We really wanted to buy something, but now after that experience I'm fine staying in America. I'll pay for my expensive California lifestyle over that any day. I'm not too keen on going back at this point.

We waited in line for six hours to get back in the US. There were people constantly trying to sell us crap, and little kids that would just stand at our car door holding up one finger to signify that they just wanted one dollar. One girl stood there for about a minute.

|
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/25/2018 1:20pm
I go to our TJ facility for work a lot and they don't even let us go out for lunch. I take a company shuttle to the facility that is gated and then taken back to the border at the end of the day.

I am conflicted with wanting to do weekend trips. I have friends that go mtb or offroad trail ride all the time but I feel like I need some better spanish first in case anything goes sideways while I'm down there.
MotoMo165
4/25/2018 1:39pm
That sounds pretty sad about the girls. And leaving the border.. ya man stay in Cali lol
4/25/2018 1:43pm
So you witnessed first hand probably the beginning of human trafficking. That’s horrible.

The Shop

peelout
4/25/2018 2:07pm
dude, next time you go down there take the Tecate highway and border crossing to come back to the US. TJ is a fucking joke trying to get back in, even in the FastPass lane.

i've been going to the Baja for 5 straight years and am thinking about laying off for a while, the crime and violence down there is outrageous. the trafficking is very real.
FiendzCC
4/25/2018 2:13pm
Stories like that leave a pit in my stomach. I'm not too far from the border either. Lived here my whole life and still never had a crazy desire to go down there. I wouldn't mind doing Rosarito on the beach or something, but TJ just sounds like I'd have my head on a swivel the whole time watching for trouble
Stuntman949
4/25/2018 4:51pm
Going to Ensenada, I personally hate every second being in TJ. Feel good when I see Puerto Nuevo and Cantamar though
4/25/2018 8:51pm
I have a very left-leaning sister, so I told her about it as a cautionary tale and she was saying I should have intervened. I explained why I couldn't and maybe it taught her a lesson about what happens when only the criminals have guns and the cops are corrupt as hell.

On one of the other days I went to take a picture of some cops that were standing there with AKs and my buddy who has been down there before yelled at me and said they would probably shoot me.
dirtmike86
4/25/2018 11:04pm
Hell no! Google earth is as close to mexico as ill get.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
4/26/2018 5:46am
Been to Cabo a few times and it was great. I read now that the cartels are starting shit there.
Love Cancun, yup the cartels are shooting people there too. Even the best places are getting
not so pretty good. Some good friends of mine went down for Baja 500 support. They got about
2 miles in and got pulled over. the cops made it out that they just pulled over the top narcos
because they had a couple of pocket knives. Ended up having to pay the cops over a grand and
a goat to let them go. Yes a legitimate goat.
So aside from the cartels, any trouble you get into, there literally is no recourse as the cops are
probably taking a cut anyway. For sure they are not going to do anything about their own criminal
enterprise.
Having said that there are pockets of paradise. Many of the Mexican people are great and live in the
same fear and are just basically hostages to the corrupt police and drug cartels with no way out.
They keep their head down and make the best of it.
How many years will it take to turn things around?
TXDirt
4/26/2018 6:40am
I've been to Nogales several times. Always enjoy it. Breeze getting in and out. Stay in the main shopping and restaurant ares and never had any problems.
Tacosnbeers
4/26/2018 6:56am
Going to Ensenada, I personally hate every second being in TJ. Feel good when I see Puerto Nuevo and Cantamar though
Unfortunately Puerto Nuevo is horrible now as well! We couldn't walk 20 feet without a neck tatted vato trying to sell us drugs!
JPT
4/26/2018 7:31am
We just got back from Cabo a couple weeks ago. No issues, very well patrolled and never felt threatened.
Stuntman949
4/26/2018 8:09am
Unfortunately Puerto Nuevo is horrible now as well! We couldn't walk 20 feet without a neck tatted vato trying to sell us drugs!
Ay Chihuahua that's a shame :/
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/26/2018 8:12am
We live 45 miles from the border and a few of our clients vacation and have homes far south of the border. The couple that live there 6-7 months out of the year and never had issues came home terrified after their last trip when they witnessed a shootout in the middle of the day between cartels. This is in a tiny town outside of Cabo. Seeing dead bodies on the streets brought these old hippies back to reality. Never heard him say anything negative about living there until now.

It’s really a shame it’s such a clusterfuck down there as Mexico has thousands of miles of prime beachfront real estate. It could be a Nation that would flourish if it was run properly. The last trip we made was around 4 years ago to Rosarita beach but I’m not going back. The disgusting filth of Tijuana and what you have to sit through coming back into the States is just not worth it to me. Too many nice things on this side of the border
IWreckALot
4/26/2018 1:42pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Been to Cabo a few times and it was great. I read now that the cartels are starting shit there. Love Cancun, yup the cartels are...
Been to Cabo a few times and it was great. I read now that the cartels are starting shit there.
Love Cancun, yup the cartels are shooting people there too. Even the best places are getting
not so pretty good. Some good friends of mine went down for Baja 500 support. They got about
2 miles in and got pulled over. the cops made it out that they just pulled over the top narcos
because they had a couple of pocket knives. Ended up having to pay the cops over a grand and
a goat to let them go. Yes a legitimate goat.
So aside from the cartels, any trouble you get into, there literally is no recourse as the cops are
probably taking a cut anyway. For sure they are not going to do anything about their own criminal
enterprise.
Having said that there are pockets of paradise. Many of the Mexican people are great and live in the
same fear and are just basically hostages to the corrupt police and drug cartels with no way out.
They keep their head down and make the best of it.
How many years will it take to turn things around?
I get the impression that their leadership (president) doesn't really feel the need to change things. Or is afraid to. It'll become a straight up terrorist nation before it gets any better.

It sucks that the most beautifully landscaped areas are in shithole nations.
4/26/2018 8:47pm
The resorts are giant washing machines for cartel money. Bad shit happens when you wander off the beaten path or putting yourself in a bad situation like getting shit-faced in a third world country. I've been going down there since I was 8 years old the only trouble I've ever gotten into was when I went looking for it. I was in Rosarito when they gunned down the chief of police about 15 years ago. Things tebd to get sensationalized a little bit
mxdude105
4/27/2018 2:53am
It's a third world country. Plain and simple. To the OP - that's some sketchy shit dude. I think you were right not to intervene. I wouldn't have either. Only outcome would have been a major ass kicking...or worse.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/27/2018 8:32pm
My best friend got shot in Mexico while prerunning the Baja 1000 race course. He barely survived.
I'm writing a book about it with/for him; I'll let you guys in on it when it's ready. The story is freaking incredible.
agn5009
4/27/2018 8:41pm
Falcon wrote:
My best friend got shot in Mexico while prerunning the Baja 1000 race course. He barely survived. I'm writing a book about it with/for him; I'll...
My best friend got shot in Mexico while prerunning the Baja 1000 race course. He barely survived.
I'm writing a book about it with/for him; I'll let you guys in on it when it's ready. The story is freaking incredible.
Please do let us know. I would be interested in purchasing a copy for sure.
4/27/2018 8:46pm
Can’t you Atleast call it in anonymously to a Mexican government agency ? Or some type of investigation unit ?
4/27/2018 9:03pm
Can’t you Atleast call it in anonymously to a Mexican government agency ? Or some type of investigation unit ?
I don't know. I couldn't even tell you the name of the bar that we were at. I could maybe look it up. I've been checking Google for reports of missing girls, but as I do that I just go further down the rabbit hole with articles talking about how there are countless people missing in Mexico and a lot of unmarked mass graves.

It's crazy to think that you can actually see downtown San Diego after you cross the border into Mexico, but it is third world over there. It must be just so corrupt. We spend millions every day trying to fix the middle east, but nothing is done to help our neighbors to the South. That is so crazy to me.
agn5009
4/28/2018 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2018 6:45pm
I don't know. I couldn't even tell you the name of the bar that we were at. I could maybe look it up. I've been checking...
I don't know. I couldn't even tell you the name of the bar that we were at. I could maybe look it up. I've been checking Google for reports of missing girls, but as I do that I just go further down the rabbit hole with articles talking about how there are countless people missing in Mexico and a lot of unmarked mass graves.

It's crazy to think that you can actually see downtown San Diego after you cross the border into Mexico, but it is third world over there. It must be just so corrupt. We spend millions every day trying to fix the middle east, but nothing is done to help our neighbors to the South. That is so crazy to me.
Mexico exports little oil compared to the middle East.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/28/2018 7:37pm
Honestly I think that would be a complete waste of time and the OP really had no choice on how to react to what he saw. He most likely would have lost his life on the spot if he went to intervene. If he called authorities (which is a questionable term for Mexico) I really don’t see it would have accomplished anything.

fcr
4/29/2018 4:22pm
In Cabo this time last year, been going all my life. Cartel shit happened there, sammiched around our trip. The hotel we stayed at is in front of Costa Azul, Del Mar trailer park was there, you could stay on the beach for 15 dollars a night. The government wants things kept quiet, it will hurt tourism, a major source for their GNP.
4/30/2018 12:13am
peelout wrote:
dude, next time you go down there take the Tecate highway and border crossing to come back to the US. TJ is a fucking joke trying...
dude, next time you go down there take the Tecate highway and border crossing to come back to the US. TJ is a fucking joke trying to get back in, even in the FastPass lane.

i've been going to the Baja for 5 straight years and am thinking about laying off for a while, the crime and violence down there is outrageous. the trafficking is very real.
Exactly!! I go to Tecate every week to eat and ride dirt bikes. You will never catch me in Tijuana though. Sketchy AF. San Felipe is chill, Ensenada is rad, Roasarito is pretty cool. TJ is crazy though.
SCR
4/30/2018 10:22am
I don't know. I couldn't even tell you the name of the bar that we were at. I could maybe look it up. I've been checking...

I wouldn't say nothing is done. We rescued the entire economy of Mexico from massive default a couple times in recent decades.
We welcome tens of millions of their people legally and illegally. Provide jobs, pay billions for public assistance, healthcare, education, and law enforcement. Not to mention cost of incarceration for millions of their criminals.
Then tens of billions each year is wired back home to be spent in the Mexican economy. Taxes are never collected on a lot of it. But taxes always come out of our checks to pay for the costs of tens of millions of some of the poorest and Least educated to live and work here, especially if you live in CA.

Post a reply to: "We don't take white girls down to Tijuana"

The Latest