We could actually affect the climate.

McG194
I saw something the other day about a technology to get moisture out of the air to make drinking water. Supposedly this is even possible in the desert. Anyway today I saw an RV with the same technology.

https://uncrate.com/2023-living-vehicle-camping-trailer/?mc_cid=a3c3285…

My first thought was if a technology like this became mainstream and prevalent it would certainly have an effect on the climate as far as less water in the air to make clouds with.

At the end of the day maybe human beings are better off living where the water is located.
|
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/12/2022 11:11am
"What I really need is a droid that understands the binary language of moisture vaporators."

Really, there is no problem that can't be solved if you have enough energy to power it.

I've been watching old episodes of Transformers with my son. I loved that show when I was a kid because it was cars and trucks and planes that turned into robots, but the interesting thing when I watch it now is how the plot of the whole show was about the fight to secure energy reserves of various types.
7/12/2022 11:21am Edited Date/Time 7/12/2022 11:34am
It would have an effect....but you could hydrate the entire Earth's human population for an entire year with the water from 1 inch of rainfall over the area of something close to Montana.

Through lots of Google searching:

13 cups/day = 0.8125 gal/day = 296 gal/year for 7.7B people = 2,283,531,250,000 gal/year

1" of rainfall over a square mile is 17.4 million gallons so 127,828 square miles (slightly less area than Montana)

The average rainfall over the entire Earth is 39 inches over 169.9 million square miles. (So 115,294,140,000,000,000 gallons which would make the required extraction roughly 0.00198% of global rainfall)

So yeah, in places where moisture is already scarce, it would probably make the ecosystem worse off. Globally, I don't think it would register (especially since most of Earth's population is not in places without much more easily extracted open water or ground water)

Edit: PS That water is going to be drank anyway. Regardless of how or where it is obtained, it isn't like it will be removed from the water cycle.
plowboy
7/12/2022 11:22am
McG194 wrote:
I saw something the other day about a technology to get moisture out of the air to make drinking water. Supposedly this is even possible in...
I saw something the other day about a technology to get moisture out of the air to make drinking water. Supposedly this is even possible in the desert. Anyway today I saw an RV with the same technology.

My first thought was if a technology like this became mainstream and prevalent it would certainly have an effect on the climate as far as less water in the air to make clouds with.

At the end of the day maybe human beings are better off living where the water is located.
There is and only ever has been one problem on planet Earth. Man, and our destructive, greedy, evil, short sightedness.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
7/12/2022 12:04pm
McG194 wrote:
I saw something the other day about a technology to get moisture out of the air to make drinking water. Supposedly this is even possible in...

plowboy wrote:
There is and only ever has been one problem on planet Earth. Man, and our destructive, greedy, evil, short sightedness.
I tried to type out a thought but it's too difficult with my eyes rolled so far back in my head.
TM

The Shop

plowboy
7/12/2022 12:42pm
ToolMaker wrote:
I tried to type out a thought but it's too difficult with my eyes rolled so far back in my head.
TM
Not sure if you meant I'm loopy or agreed with meHuh In my opinion...(just mine)... there ain't much of anything humanity has done in it's existence that has made the planet better than it was before we started shitting on it.
LoudLove
7/12/2022 12:54pm
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
plowboy wrote:
Not sure if you meant I'm loopy or agreed with me:huh: In my opinion...(just mine)... there ain't much of anything humanity has done in it's existence...
Not sure if you meant I'm loopy or agreed with meHuh In my opinion...(just mine)... there ain't much of anything humanity has done in it's existence that has made the planet better than it was before we started shitting on it.
This place will be much better off once we’re gone. Humans tend to think a little highly of ourselves. Plenty of galactic civilizations have and will exist w/o ever knowing of our existence. Cosmically, we’re barely a fart from a gnat’s ass!
plowboy
7/12/2022 1:42pm
LoudLove wrote:
This place will be much better off once we’re gone. Humans tend to think a little highly of ourselves. Plenty of galactic civilizations have and will...
This place will be much better off once we’re gone. Humans tend to think a little highly of ourselves. Plenty of galactic civilizations have and will exist w/o ever knowing of our existence. Cosmically, we’re barely a fart from a gnat’s ass!
I've said it before...if an alien race with the technology to travel across the universe happened to stumble onto this planet...they would either exterminate us for the vermin we are or just put a detour sign around us.

No one with an ounce of common sense could look at how we kill each other and destroy the planet and still believe that we have anything that could possibly interest an advanced species. Planet Insanity.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
7/12/2022 3:21pm
I had the idea for a portal water machine many years ago, idea being it'd pull what humidity is in the air out.

Problem is when I did the math, the only places such a thing was really viable are places where the humidity is nearly 100%. Not much need there as drinkable water is going to be close by.

To get enough water out in the desert, it's no longer portable or even really reasonable. Certainly not for African villagers or the poor folks in Arizona. Another tool for the rich.

But yeah humans are terrible for the planet. Aint real hard to figure out. Mother nature will return the favor some day.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
7/12/2022 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2022 3:51pm
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
plowboy wrote:
Not sure if you meant I'm loopy or agreed with me:huh: In my opinion...(just mine)... there ain't much of anything humanity has done in it's existence...
I don't think you're loopy. I just don't agree to the extent you do. And when I hear it coming up, it's a topic that
can't be discussed without frustration and nobody ever changes their mind on where they stand. I don't agree that
"everything we do makes the world a worse place" I believe we do some good and some bad. I think the big problem is that we have the technology to do things that we don't have the moral ability to understand what we are doing many times. And if there's money involved, people unfortunately pick making money over doing good by mother earth.
And then the conversation devolves into white man bad. So yes, in anticipation of the comments to come had an
extensive eye roll. BTW, I don't think it's wrong to think different than me, your opinions are based on life's observations,
I just don't buy into that humans created the extent of the damage that's fed to us every day. Shit happened before we were here, shit happens while we're here, and shit will happen when we're gone. Was the world better when it was just dinosaurs? Ask them, oh wait, they're gone and no humans to blame. Shit happens. I think we are learning and cleaning up our mess. I grew up in the Orange County, CA (late 60s). When I was going to grade school you could never even see the mountains unless after a rain. Smog alerts were common that we couldn't go outside and play. I go and visit and you can see the mountains. You look at things you can see, things that are important to you. What about things that are not as important to you. How about the ants that decimate entire forests? Proportionately they produce way more damage. But the world evolves to get by. So many other things that kill everything else so much so it ends up killing itself. So man is not alone in killing things to expand the species footprint. We're just better at it.
TM
Found spelling errors, I can't spell for shit
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/12/2022 4:01pm
colintrax wrote:
I had the idea for a portal water machine many years ago, idea being it'd pull what humidity is in the air out. Problem is when...
I had the idea for a portal water machine many years ago, idea being it'd pull what humidity is in the air out.

Problem is when I did the math, the only places such a thing was really viable are places where the humidity is nearly 100%. Not much need there as drinkable water is going to be close by.

To get enough water out in the desert, it's no longer portable or even really reasonable. Certainly not for African villagers or the poor folks in Arizona. Another tool for the rich.

But yeah humans are terrible for the planet. Aint real hard to figure out. Mother nature will return the favor some day.
Anybody ever run a dehumidifier in the desert? You can pull a few gallons a day out of the basement in the summer in the east with about a 500W unit, in the southwest it would probably evaporate as quick as you could collect it.
SEEMEFIRST
7/12/2022 4:23pm
colintrax wrote:
I had the idea for a portal water machine many years ago, idea being it'd pull what humidity is in the air out. Problem is when...

early wrote:
Anybody ever run a dehumidifier in the desert? You can pull a few gallons a day out of the basement in the summer in the east...
Anybody ever run a dehumidifier in the desert? You can pull a few gallons a day out of the basement in the summer in the east with about a 500W unit, in the southwest it would probably evaporate as quick as you could collect it.
Back in the early 90's, I got a contract to build the tooling and vacuum form a case for what the guy called a "Water Maker".
It was basically a refrigeration unit that captures the condensation.
The claim was 10 gallons or so a day. Well as Colintrax said, yeah, it would in a humid environment where the only upside is that it is clean, but they have water.
In an arrid climate, the amount of energy it would take to pull water from 3-5% humidity would be ridiculous.
The guy's thrust was the clean water aspect in a jungle.
Fine if you happen to have electricity.
Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
745th
7/12/2022 5:18pm
Climate change has been happening for Billions of years
Before any Human stepped on earth.
"Lets make this a billion Dollar business this Decade" ~ DEMS
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/12/2022 5:25pm
What caused climate change in the previous billions of years?
SEEMEFIRST
7/12/2022 5:28pm
early wrote:
Tilt, wobble, to name a couple.
Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
745th
7/12/2022 5:38pm
early wrote:
Pressure.
You think you live in a game?
This Earth and Planets around you have been evolving "For Billions of years!"
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/12/2022 5:43pm
early wrote:
Pressure.
You think you live in a game?
This Earth and Planets around you have been evolving "For Billions of years!"
What kind of pressure?
Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
745th
7/12/2022 5:45pm
I'm not going to educate the uneducated
let your Minions figure it out for Ya

Good Day
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/12/2022 6:10pm
I'm not going to educate the uneducated
let your Minions figure it out for Ya

Good Day
Come on Bill don't go!

Didn't know I had minions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
borg
7/12/2022 6:47pm
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
plowboy wrote:
ToolMaker wrote:
I don't think you're loopy. I just don't agree to the extent you do. And when I hear it coming up, it's a topic that can't...
I don't think you're loopy. I just don't agree to the extent you do. And when I hear it coming up, it's a topic that
can't be discussed without frustration and nobody ever changes their mind on where they stand. I don't agree that
"everything we do makes the world a worse place" I believe we do some good and some bad. I think the big problem is that we have the technology to do things that we don't have the moral ability to understand what we are doing many times. And if there's money involved, people unfortunately pick making money over doing good by mother earth.
And then the conversation devolves into white man bad. So yes, in anticipation of the comments to come had an
extensive eye roll. BTW, I don't think it's wrong to think different than me, your opinions are based on life's observations,
I just don't buy into that humans created the extent of the damage that's fed to us every day. Shit happened before we were here, shit happens while we're here, and shit will happen when we're gone. Was the world better when it was just dinosaurs? Ask them, oh wait, they're gone and no humans to blame. Shit happens. I think we are learning and cleaning up our mess. I grew up in the Orange County, CA (late 60s). When I was going to grade school you could never even see the mountains unless after a rain. Smog alerts were common that we couldn't go outside and play. I go and visit and you can see the mountains. You look at things you can see, things that are important to you. What about things that are not as important to you. How about the ants that decimate entire forests? Proportionately they produce way more damage. But the world evolves to get by. So many other things that kill everything else so much so it ends up killing itself. So man is not alone in killing things to expand the species footprint. We're just better at it.
TM
Found spelling errors, I can't spell for shit
I'm more in TM's camp on this one. Plowboy is correct in his assessment that humans are fucked up but what we have done better than the other species is that we have taken control over our environment where most other animals just have to deal with it. We are not outside of nature. We are just as much a natural phenomenon as a Walrus.
Humans have made our planet better for humans. Human existence is way, way better now than it ever was by almost any measure. That is the genetic responsibility of every species.

To the extent that we alter the climate, we will adapt and/or change it with technology and survive contrary to political hype.
The first casualty of politics is the truth.
McG194
7/12/2022 7:02pm
Just to shed some light on where I'm coming from I really don't buy the whole man made climate change BS. In the 70's we were told another Ice Age was coming then It was Global Warming. Now they have no effing idea but they want to blame humans so it's "Climate Change."

Funny thing I heard a politician a while back claiming the worst climate disaster in the earths history would be upon us if we didn't pay more taxes or something. Soooooooo we're just going to pretend the Great Lakes just kinda happened, there was never an Ice Age. SMDH

I believe if all humans disappeared from the earth in 50-100 years there would be no signs of us being here and everything would go wild. The Earth has amazing healing capacity and if we truly think we can change it we are too arrogant for our own good.

The answer to Climate Change: Follow the money.
SEEMEFIRST
7/12/2022 7:05pm
McG194 wrote:
Just to shed some light on where I'm coming from I really don't buy the whole man made climate change BS. In the 70's we were...
Just to shed some light on where I'm coming from I really don't buy the whole man made climate change BS. In the 70's we were told another Ice Age was coming then It was Global Warming. Now they have no effing idea but they want to blame humans so it's "Climate Change."

Funny thing I heard a politician a while back claiming the worst climate disaster in the earths history would be upon us if we didn't pay more taxes or something. Soooooooo we're just going to pretend the Great Lakes just kinda happened, there was never an Ice Age. SMDH

I believe if all humans disappeared from the earth in 50-100 years there would be no signs of us being here and everything would go wild. The Earth has amazing healing capacity and if we truly think we can change it we are too arrogant for our own good.

The answer to Climate Change: Follow the money.
Truth.
Just quit riding a loop for a year or 2.
It will look like you never made it.
JustMX
7/12/2022 7:05pm
early wrote:
Dinosaur farts?
mx617
7/12/2022 7:31pm
The earth will be just fine. Whether or not we are there to see it is the question. And if we do manage to make it will we have a quality of life like we have now or more mad Max style.

Even if you choose to ignore the overwhelming evidence for human caused climate change anyone with an ounce of common sense has to realize that the earth is a finite size, therefore oil is a finite resource, therefore we are going to need an alternative energy source at some point. Might as well get ahead of the curve.
McG194
7/13/2022 4:43am
mx617 wrote:
The earth will be just fine. Whether or not we are there to see it is the question. And if we do manage to make it...
The earth will be just fine. Whether or not we are there to see it is the question. And if we do manage to make it will we have a quality of life like we have now or more mad Max style.

Even if you choose to ignore the overwhelming evidence for human caused climate change anyone with an ounce of common sense has to realize that the earth is a finite size, therefore oil is a finite resource, therefore we are going to need an alternative energy source at some point. Might as well get ahead of the curve.
The United States is sitting on 200 years of oil reserves. I think we can figure something else out by then.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/21/2022 1:32pm
mx617 wrote:
The earth will be just fine. Whether or not we are there to see it is the question. And if we do manage to make it...

I'll agree with that.
Or, how about cashing in on the pent up demand for a better product? If someone comes up with a clean, reliable source of energy which is even 1% better than fossil fuels and costs the same, don't you think that person will become the richest mofo on Earth?
Titan1
7/21/2022 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2022 2:17pm
I'm all for an alternative to fossil fuels...and I'm all for cleaner energy sources...my issue comes with the timing, and the motive.

I see no reason at all to kill fossil fuels when there isn't a viable, equal (equally efficient, affordable, versatile, capable) replacement for them. When something better comes along, we won't need governments to force it down our throats, we will all jump on board with it because it will just plain be better.

So keep on keeping on with fossil fuels, while ALSO working to develop and implement a replacement...When that replacement is ready and viable, if its better, fossil fuels will die on their own as people transition to a better energy source.

The government killing fossil fuels without a replacement is energy suicide...and proof that a better alternative doesn't exist at the moment (no matter how much solar and wind are shoved down our throats).

And our motive should NOT be to save the planet...that's impossible...the planet doesn't need saving, and will one day wipe us off the face of it and keep on doing its thing...our motive should be to find something better than fossil fuels, and to take care of our planet (not save it) so we have clean air, and water...and beautiful natural places see.
SEEMEFIRST
7/21/2022 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2022 7:56pm
Do y'all realize that they just now figured out that it's smarter to build a windmill facing away from the wind to keep the blades from striking the mast in high wind events?

Just now figuring that out.

My GOD. Please open the oil patch....

These sons of bitches could'nt find their ass with both hands.
tuggy450
7/21/2022 11:21pm
early wrote:
Exactly what change do you think has happened? Or to be more correct, what change has happened during what time frame? The earth is always changing. It will change long after we are gone.

Been listening to this rubbish for decades and decades. Climate activists alarmists claiming the world is going to end. They have no idea what the problem is they can't even define what they are talking about. AL Gore is and was a nut bag.

Just like the many nut bags years before him. Problem is like the internet he didn't invent, he didn't invent or discover Climate Alarmism, he is just a follower of this nonsense. I have no doubt that future generations will figure out alternative energy fossil fuel conundrum, when fossil fuels become harder to procure or more expensive.

The world is not going to end because CO2 levels are going to reach "dangerous" levels, it's crap, Climate alarmist have been trying to sell this bullshit for over 50 years.

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-of-failed-eco-pocalyptic-pred…
philG
7/22/2022 3:33am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
plowboy wrote:
So do we all kill ourselves now , and where do we send the money?

Post a reply to: We could actually affect the climate.

The Latest