Updated:poor kid got a bike! Ways for a 7 year old kid to make money

mikec265
Edited Date/Time 7/28/2019 6:53pm
I've been letting one of my friends kids ride our bikes for a couple years. I've got 2 XR50s that I bought for $500 each. Those little bikes have been ridden so much, they owe us nothing! He's been saving money collecting cans.
He just turned 7 and wants a KX65. I have a de-tuned kx65 for my 5 year old. The poor kid can handle it just fine. My friend is one of those poor/broke/cheap as hell small farmers. They don't make much. It's not worth saving cans, but there's at least 6 households collecting cans for him so it does add up. GoFundMe is bs and not an option to actually EARN it. Basically we are looking for ways a 7 year old can earn money.
I've pretty much done everything I can besides buying the kid a bike to take home.
I have extra gear that I bought for my 5 yr old nephew, so that helps.
He's not ready to mow grass.
Any ideas for a kid that young to earn it? He probably needs another $700 plus future income for parts. Nothing needed for labor.
|
Deja New
4/29/2019 2:12am
A YouTube channel about being a kid on a farm. Being on a farm sure he can collect manure and sell it as fertilizer on the side of the road I did that as a kid Smile I couldn’t spell chicken or manure so my sign said “ chick shit 4 sale “ got some laughs and dollars till Mum came home.
ATKpilot99
4/29/2019 3:29am
I remember we used to set up lemonade stands as young kids but you're not making much money doing that. Beyond allowance from his own parents for chores , which defeats the purpose here, putting a kid that young to work is a tough one.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
4/29/2019 6:05am
We used to go to the landscape nurseries and collect all the coconuts on the property for the owners and put them in the ponds where they would sprout roots while floating. Then we would also collect the ones that now had roots in the water and put them in 3 gallon pots with soil for them. It wasn't much money but we were so young and poor, it was everything.
hard2kill
4/29/2019 6:08am
My kids 5 and 7 sold lemonade last summer at a local farmers market and outside a local mom and pop restaurant twice a week through the summer. Took in close to a grand for about 15 total days of work. They had fun with it learned some valuable lessons, and put half the money back towards an account for their first car. Nothing wrong with teaching them to work at that age. They will likely get more value out of it than 8 hours a day at school. I got them some decorative mason jars and we sold fresh fruit to add to the lemonade (strawberry, peach, blueberry ect.) That helped to get a decent price $5 a jar so they were not out there all day for nothing.

It was a lot of work on my end also to help them be successful.

The Shop

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/29/2019 6:58am
I was a little business man myself Grinning pulled weeds, painted mailboxes, walked dogs, washed cars, sold lemonade and candy (Sam's club has bulk candy super cheap), pick up dog poo. Whatever I could make a buck doing, moms only rule was I couldn't go inside peoples homes.
People will pay a cute kid to do anything they dont want to do. And theres lots of shit us adults dont wanna do
borg
4/29/2019 7:10am
Stand outside a grocery store and sell $2 worth of cookies or candy for $9.
mikec265
4/29/2019 7:47am
borg wrote:
Stand outside a grocery store and sell $2 worth of cookies or candy for $9.
That's the money maker right there. They get me every time.
newmann
4/29/2019 8:33am
Since you have motorcycles, you probably have a truck and or trailer. Take the kid around to some of the local body shops and see if they will let him haul off their old scrap metal. Just a thought. Could be a few hundred bucks to be had in a day if someone would be willing to "help" him. If you showed up here with him wanting to make some money to buy himself a dirt bike, I'd get out there and help him load it up myself. I'd probably even let him raid my aluminum pile.
c0ncEpT
4/29/2019 9:26am
When I was a kid I would rake and bag leaves in the fall for $2/Bag. Wasn't hard to bag 20/30 bags in an afternoon.
mikec265
4/29/2019 10:07am
Definitely some good ideas to take into consideration. He gets the scrap from my little trucking company too, but we don't go thru much. One aluminum wheel, and one big radiator this year is about it.
Kenny Lingus
4/29/2019 11:39am
Since he lives on a farm, why not raise some type of animal (s)? I used to raise rabbits to sell at the local livestock auction when I was about that age. I was getting about $10 for a live 5-6lb rabbit. Had to stop eventually because of coyotes.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
4/29/2019 12:08pm
^^^This!

At about his age, I raised quail on our small farm. I sold quail eggs, pickled quail eggs and then the birds themselves for food. Quail eggs have great nutritional value. And are sold for a great profit.

They don't take up much space, are pretty hardy birds and relatively cheap to feed/raise. I got to the point where I had an incubator and raised birds from eggs. You can also buy them as chicks if you don't want to mess with incubators and brooders. I was a bored farm kid, no cable tv. internet or video games in the 70's so I did it all along with normal chores for the cows and horses.

When I got to be about 10-11 I started raising pigs and selling them as well.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/29/2019 2:00pm
Elementary School fight club. The first rule is: don't talk about Elementary School fight club.

OK, kidding.
Do they pay the flaggers at your local track? Can he sell candy bars?
mikec265
4/29/2019 3:27pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
^^^This! At about his age, I raised quail on our small farm. I sold quail eggs, pickled quail eggs and then the birds themselves for food...
^^^This!

At about his age, I raised quail on our small farm. I sold quail eggs, pickled quail eggs and then the birds themselves for food. Quail eggs have great nutritional value. And are sold for a great profit.

They don't take up much space, are pretty hardy birds and relatively cheap to feed/raise. I got to the point where I had an incubator and raised birds from eggs. You can also buy them as chicks if you don't want to mess with incubators and brooders. I was a bored farm kid, no cable tv. internet or video games in the 70's so I did it all along with normal chores for the cows and horses.

When I got to be about 10-11 I started raising pigs and selling them as well.
Oddly enough, another friend of ours just started raising quails from eggs, so he had an excuse to avoid 2 hour trips to his in-laws house on the weekends. I thought it was crazy, but what's the money like raising quails. How do you find buyers?
At the moment they only milk 2 cows and have 28 head total. That's it for livestock currently, unless you count dogs and Barn cats.
They used to make thier own cheese, and sell raw milk by the gallon until it got over- regulated cutting profits big time. Selling bulk milk is a joke for small farms these days because there's no money in it.
SEE ARE125
4/29/2019 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2019 4:00pm
Might take a while, but since he’s got the land, why not grow something? Could probably round up some plastic planter containers for free, grow some nice flowers and shrubs from seed(cheap), then sell them for $5-$10 ea. At $7.50 average, he’d need to sell like 100, but most people will buy 3-5 plants, so that’s only 20-30 customers. I’d probably plant 125 or so to account for losses. Just need a couple sprinklers for the dry spells. Water and wait. lol
mikec265
4/29/2019 5:29pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Might take a while, but since he’s got the land, why not grow something? Could probably round up some plastic planter containers for free, grow some...
Might take a while, but since he’s got the land, why not grow something? Could probably round up some plastic planter containers for free, grow some nice flowers and shrubs from seed(cheap), then sell them for $5-$10 ea. At $7.50 average, he’d need to sell like 100, but most people will buy 3-5 plants, so that’s only 20-30 customers. I’d probably plant 125 or so to account for losses. Just need a couple sprinklers for the dry spells. Water and wait. lol
Not a bad idea. Almost forgot I think they are going to plant some pumpkins, and sweet corn.
4/29/2019 6:27pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2019 6:28pm
Years ago I would trade a couple of hours of yard work for some ride time on my old Honda 50 to a neighbor kid. If he did not want to work a given week, the deal was no ride time. He would trash that poor thing, showed up most of the time.
snackfedbear
4/29/2019 9:15pm
Plane ticket to China for a few months I’m sure he’ll find a job
mxtech1
5/1/2019 7:52am
An easy thing for him to do would be to grow and sell started garden vegetable plants. Tomatoes, beans, carrots, onions, herbs, etc.

If you took him to a local nursery or garden center, they would likely donate the plastic flats needed to start. It's possible they may even donate some of the seeds he needs to start. Tell them the story and I would be hard pressed to think they wouldn't help however possible with some startup donations.

If he planted the seeds and grew them out for a few weeks, he could easily sell those for $2-$5 each (depending on what it is). could sell by knocking on neighbors doors, local garden center, etc. One step further might be to offer planting services for additional cost if he can sell directly to the end users.

If he needs $700, a dozen or so flats of started plants would easily cover that.

5/2/2019 4:16am
Set up a candy shack outside a local VA. Give 35%-50% profits to the veterans. You wont be able to keep up with the demand in sales. you’ll kill it. He will be able to buy a new factory edition 450 for you.
RexEasely
5/7/2019 9:01pm
mxtech1 wrote:
An easy thing for him to do would be to grow and sell started garden vegetable plants. Tomatoes, beans, carrots, onions, herbs, etc. If you took...
An easy thing for him to do would be to grow and sell started garden vegetable plants. Tomatoes, beans, carrots, onions, herbs, etc.

If you took him to a local nursery or garden center, they would likely donate the plastic flats needed to start. It's possible they may even donate some of the seeds he needs to start. Tell them the story and I would be hard pressed to think they wouldn't help however possible with some startup donations.

If he planted the seeds and grew them out for a few weeks, he could easily sell those for $2-$5 each (depending on what it is). could sell by knocking on neighbors doors, local garden center, etc. One step further might be to offer planting services for additional cost if he can sell directly to the end users.

If he needs $700, a dozen or so flats of started plants would easily cover that.

Pretty good idea.
mikec265
7/7/2019 11:53am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2019 12:01pm
The kid has raised about $500 so far, and his dad is going to help out a little. I found a 2004 RM65
that needs a complete engine rebuild, chain, sprockets, and a couple odds and ends for $400. The suspension was recently re-built, and it came with a nice set of spare plastic. Cylinder is good. It stopped running because of a poorly rigged air filter set up and too much up and down play in the bottom end. I got the engine disassembled. Waiting on $300 worth of parts. For $700 total it'll be a really nice yellow bike for a kid named Eli with a big number 3 on it.
I'll add a couple pics later. It looks rough, but will clean up nice.
APLMAN99
7/7/2019 8:37pm
mikec265 wrote:
The kid has raised about $500 so far, and his dad is going to help out a little. I found a 2004 RM65 that needs a...
The kid has raised about $500 so far, and his dad is going to help out a little. I found a 2004 RM65
that needs a complete engine rebuild, chain, sprockets, and a couple odds and ends for $400. The suspension was recently re-built, and it came with a nice set of spare plastic. Cylinder is good. It stopped running because of a poorly rigged air filter set up and too much up and down play in the bottom end. I got the engine disassembled. Waiting on $300 worth of parts. For $700 total it'll be a really nice yellow bike for a kid named Eli with a big number 3 on it.
Awesome job! Kid will have some pride in it since he's had to earn so much of it.

Just don't teach him to use those silly asian racist terms and he should learn a lot of great things riding with you and your family!
bigmaico
7/8/2019 7:35am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 7:36am
mikec265 wrote:
The kid has raised about $500 so far, and his dad is going to help out a little. I found a 2004 RM65 that needs a...
Mike,

When you work on the bike, show Eli what your doing!

It will help him to learn to take care of his bike & teach him some skills!

To many of the kids today couldn't even put oil in own car, God forbid they have to change a tire or a belt.
mikec265
7/8/2019 8:49am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 8:49am
mikec265 wrote:
bigmaico wrote:
Mike, When you work on the bike, show Eli what your doing! It will help him to learn to take care of his bike & teach...
Mike,

When you work on the bike, show Eli what your doing!

It will help him to learn to take care of his bike & teach him some skills!

To many of the kids today couldn't even put oil in own car, God forbid they have to change a tire or a belt.
Definitely going to show him the top end part, and make him do most of the chain and sprockets. Gonna show and stress air filter care too.
mikec265
7/28/2019 6:53pm
We let Eli ride with the old ratty number plates first.
I installed the nice plates to surprise him when the kids were in the pool out back. The kid was happy as could be with the bike. Put a washer in the exhaust to tame it down for now.

Post a reply to: Updated:poor kid got a bike! Ways for a 7 year old kid to make money

The Latest