Walking away

Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
12/27/2020 11:24pm
sumdood wrote:
Hahaha didn’t see this earlier, that’s where I’m at right now, apple juice, cranberry juice, water, stool softeners, pudding, coffee, Mexican hospital food tonight, my wife...
Hahaha didn’t see this earlier, that’s where I’m at right now, apple juice, cranberry juice, water, stool softeners, pudding, coffee, Mexican hospital food tonight, my wife is going get more than she bargained for if nothing happens in the next few hours. I’m supposed to go home tomorrow..... Hey man the deal was for better or worse, and right now the worst is not looking too pleasant.
captmoto wrote:
If I had seen this earlier I would have recommended you swing through Taco Bell on your way home. Best wishes and hope your recovery is...
If I had seen this earlier I would have recommended you swing through Taco Bell on your way home. Best wishes and hope your recovery is uncomplicated.
Ya, the beans burrito will get you going...
Nighttrain
12/27/2020 11:54pm
Smooth Move Herbal Tea has never failed me, Sumdood. Maybe it could be of benefit to you as well. The results take 2-3 hours and when it hits there is no question of the effectiveness.

Glad you are home.

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
12/28/2020 3:36am
Since I’ve been home things are moving along much better lol.
12/28/2020 9:01am
SKIDLID wrote:
Good to see you are home. Remember laughter is a good cure.
So true. I watch Rodney Dangerfield standup comedy, on a regular basis.

The Shop

captain
12/28/2020 10:06am
Hey Bill! Hope all is well and that recovery is going smoothly during the holiday season. I was one of the flaggers working that SoCalOTMX race and saw the whole scenario unfold. I was on the far side of the track right after the finish line so I had a good view of the jump where it happened. Just wanted to say that you took it like a Champ! I went over to where you were at during the red flag and you were bullshitting with all of us, cracking jokes, and more haha. It was a big one so to see that you are recovering quite well is great. Happy New Year Bill!
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
12/28/2020 10:19am
The meal plans here are safe to say worlds above the hospital. Here’s a couple breakfast samples and my postponed Christmas dinner. 👍

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
12/28/2020 10:28am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2020 10:30am
captain wrote:
Hey Bill! Hope all is well and that recovery is going smoothly during the holiday season. I was one of the flaggers working that SoCalOTMX race...
Hey Bill! Hope all is well and that recovery is going smoothly during the holiday season. I was one of the flaggers working that SoCalOTMX race and saw the whole scenario unfold. I was on the far side of the track right after the finish line so I had a good view of the jump where it happened. Just wanted to say that you took it like a Champ! I went over to where you were at during the red flag and you were bullshitting with all of us, cracking jokes, and more haha. It was a big one so to see that you are recovering quite well is great. Happy New Year Bill!
Hey just saw this while I was making my food post. Thanks for posting that I don’t remember shit. My only memory is seeing a bike in front of me and waking up in the hospital. It relieves me to know that my auto pilot sense of humor is intact. You guys could have told me I was a total fucking asshole and I wouldn’t know the difference. Haha thanks again for your post.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
12/28/2020 10:31am
Oh and thanks for flagging. 👍👍
G-man
12/28/2020 10:36am
Glad to see you're home and on the road to recovery.

Are you and Wildbill cousins? Smile
12/28/2020 10:44am
LoudLove wrote:
Question to all: which catastrophic injury did NOT involve a jump? June 6 2010 I shattered my left humeral head and several nerve endings casing a...
Question to all: which catastrophic injury did NOT involve a jump? June 6 2010 I shattered my left humeral head and several nerve endings casing a step-up double, leaving me with around 50% mobility. Since then it’s been off-road only, and at 57, a much more relaxed and rewarding experience. If you haven’t ridden cross country or enduro, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

So, when will I get my t-shirt? I’ll need a large and XL for my buddy in Ormond Beach. No pressure; next week is fine...
Chance1216 wrote:
I had a truck pull out and block the entire road I was on while riding in the Mojave desert. The driver was looking the opposite...
I had a truck pull out and block the entire road I was on while riding in the Mojave desert. The driver was looking the opposite direction when he pulled out. Truck was camouflaged by the surrounding brush. I remember chasing my uncle down, then a truck came between us. I locked up the brakes and remember looking up at the exhaust of the truck. I don’t remember the impact. Just glimpses of the helicopter ride, the piercing green eyes of the nurse looking at me, saying stay with me then, waking up in a hospital bed surrounded by family. No jumps, just unfortunate circumstances. I never met that nurse or whoever she was. Never saw her face either. Something so different about her eyes I’ll always remember though.
I had a nurse like that in surgery. Think she’s one of the reasons I decided I wanted to get into healthcare. Nobody else talked to me on the OR table. 15 years old. Scared shitless bright lights and people that looked alien and then this woman pulled her mask down touched my forehead and said everything is going great. Youll wake up before I can count to 10. Count with me. 1-2-3-4-5-Got to six and she said you’re done. and I was. 3 hours of my life gone without a trace. Instantly.
Chance1216
12/28/2020 11:19am
LoudLove wrote:
Question to all: which catastrophic injury did NOT involve a jump? June 6 2010 I shattered my left humeral head and several nerve endings casing a...
Question to all: which catastrophic injury did NOT involve a jump? June 6 2010 I shattered my left humeral head and several nerve endings casing a step-up double, leaving me with around 50% mobility. Since then it’s been off-road only, and at 57, a much more relaxed and rewarding experience. If you haven’t ridden cross country or enduro, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

So, when will I get my t-shirt? I’ll need a large and XL for my buddy in Ormond Beach. No pressure; next week is fine...
Chance1216 wrote:
I had a truck pull out and block the entire road I was on while riding in the Mojave desert. The driver was looking the opposite...
I had a truck pull out and block the entire road I was on while riding in the Mojave desert. The driver was looking the opposite direction when he pulled out. Truck was camouflaged by the surrounding brush. I remember chasing my uncle down, then a truck came between us. I locked up the brakes and remember looking up at the exhaust of the truck. I don’t remember the impact. Just glimpses of the helicopter ride, the piercing green eyes of the nurse looking at me, saying stay with me then, waking up in a hospital bed surrounded by family. No jumps, just unfortunate circumstances. I never met that nurse or whoever she was. Never saw her face either. Something so different about her eyes I’ll always remember though.
I had a nurse like that in surgery. Think she’s one of the reasons I decided I wanted to get into healthcare. Nobody else talked to...
I had a nurse like that in surgery. Think she’s one of the reasons I decided I wanted to get into healthcare. Nobody else talked to me on the OR table. 15 years old. Scared shitless bright lights and people that looked alien and then this woman pulled her mask down touched my forehead and said everything is going great. Youll wake up before I can count to 10. Count with me. 1-2-3-4-5-Got to six and she said you’re done. and I was. 3 hours of my life gone without a trace. Instantly.
This wreck changed my life plans completely. I was set for boot camp at MCRD San Diego in three weeks. They were pissed but, life goes on. I was 18 at the time.

Although she was wearing a mask, I 100% could identify that nurse just by her eyes 25 years later. I remember her tearing up as she was talking to me almost pleading. Most nurses I’ve encountered treat you like a number cause “IT’S THEIR JOB”. Very few and far in between don’t. At least in my experiences.
Green eyes are fairly common but, hers were like emeralds lit up with a spotlight. It’s bewildering the minute details we remember.
Hope your doing well Georgie.
sreidmx
12/28/2020 11:26am
Man this sort of incident is my worst fear, I’m healing from a brain fart at cahuilla where I boosted one of the tables on the main track thinking it was a lot larger, overjumped and landed on the berm face. Hurt a lot but not even close to what you got going on. Something I have kinda realized after quitting for 8 years and going to an offroad cage based toy aka Prerunner, and this is my perspective, I found a lot of us always try to replace or find that feeling. Without giving a ton of thought to the fact any sport we get into is likely just as dangerous. Differently but still the risk is pretty high. Being in a rzr recently while it rolled caused me to come to this conclusion. You think your safe but in reality that’s a false sense of security. This is my opinion and I’m 35 so take it all with a grain of salt.
My point here is if bikes make you happy, stick with it and stay healthy, I believe quite a bit of injuries can be avoided by just staying in some form of shape. And maybe chill racing a bit.. maybe take a break? but if you are like me in any way, I never found what I was looking for in trucks or any other activities, not even close, I just broke the truck more, spent more money etc.. I did learn how to deal with my pent up energy better, how to enjoy the time out with my family and get a much better wholesome experience with them, without feeling bored or hurried. So the break for me was worth it to learn that stuff. But ultimately I am happier as a human on a bike, maybe not racing, but pushing myself and being on a track feeling that feeling we all chase.
I feel like you being the best version of you is likely on or around bikes, you and your family deserve absolutely no less than you at your best. Get well brother! Maybe I’ll see you out in the desert sometime! I’m out in yucca valley. Hit me up if you come out this way for camping!
Cheers -Steve
12/28/2020 6:57pm
I just read your post and wanted to reach out and wish you well, hope you recover quickly and well. I took my first gate drop in 40 years this year! It was great, I’m slow but improving and have enjoyed riding and meeting new friends. I totally understand where your at wanting to call it a day and the thought of injury like that is definitely scary for all of us. Get well my man
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
12/30/2020 8:39pm
Day 2 of PT, I can’t believe how fast my arm strength dropped after only 2 weeks of not being used. My left shoulder has a new lump

Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
12/30/2020 9:23pm
Geez, i feel your pain bud, you'll get through it with a little time. Strength to you.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
12/30/2020 10:17pm
Boomslang wrote:
Geez, i feel your pain bud, you'll get through it with a little time. Strength to you.
Thanks man. I need to stop posting about it, but I’m freaking bored lol
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
12/30/2020 10:41pm
Boomslang wrote:
sumdood wrote:
Thanks man. I need to stop posting about it, but I’m freaking bored lol
Keep posting away, the banter here must surely help with some of the boredom.
KMC440
12/31/2020 4:36am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 4:37am
Stay outta the pools Bill the chlorine is bleaching out your hair. You look like hell for a 31yr old jeez !!!
👍😉
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
12/31/2020 7:36am
Hahahaha no shit. 31 is about half right 😂 Thanks luckily laughing doesn’t hurt, I got that going for me
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
1/7/2021 5:52pm
Saw the ortho today. Didn’t really get the news I wanted. Pelvis repair looks good, that’s the good news. The femur repair looks like fucking Stevie Wonder did it. How the broken piece of femur isn’t between the other 2 pieces is goddamn mystery to me. I hope the doctor doesn’t make furniture cause wtf..... The doc I saw today (who I liked ) wasn’t impressed either, he said the surgery report said I was losing blood so they were in a hurry just to get it stabilized ASAP. He gave it a “50 / 50” chance of the bone bridging the gap vs having to go back in, realign it and do a bone graft. Oh joy.....

Nighttrain
1/7/2021 6:13pm
I want to be in the TSA line behind you at the airport. Laughing Seriously, thats a lot of hardware. I hope your recovery is steady progress and please keep updating this thread.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
1/7/2021 6:24pm
Nighttrain wrote:
I want to be in the TSA line behind you at the airport. :laugh: Seriously, thats a lot of hardware. I hope your recovery is steady...
I want to be in the TSA line behind you at the airport. Laughing Seriously, thats a lot of hardware. I hope your recovery is steady progress and please keep updating this thread.
No doubt I’m going to get some free handy’s from the TSA guys Laughing I’m really hoping the bones bridge, I go back in 4 weeks to see if we’re moving forward or going back to square one.
G-man
1/7/2021 7:34pm
Wow man, I can barely look at those x-rays...

Glad you're home and in good spirits.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
1/7/2021 11:23pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2021 11:28pm
G-man wrote:
Wow man, I can barely look at those x-rays...

Glad you're home and in good spirits.
I’m trying to stay positive. I don’t Know if I’ve ever brought this up but I’ve had 3 hip replacements, the first one was metal on metal and put it wrong, the geometry was off and the cup was too steep, It had to be redone. When I saw the chunk of femur not even close to being between top and bottom pieces my heart sank, I was like god damnit can I not fucking win with a good surgeon ? I spent about an hour being pissed, an hour feeling bummed and Feeling sorry for myself, doing the why me thing. Then (with the help of my wife) decided that’s not going to help, I need to focus on doing the pt, taking the calcium and vitamins he recommended, eating lots of protein and keeping a positive attitude. It’s either that or go down the depression rabbit hole while taking pain meds. Everyone knows that doesn’t end well. Luckily I have an angel of a wife to nurse my busted ass at home, a son who has stepped up big time helping to keep my business afloat. Talking and relating with you guys in here has helped more than you know, I hope to meet you guys in person someday, beers are on me. The support from the guys in the otmx has been overwhelming. Like Bruce Brown said “Dirt bikers are good people” Thanks for all your replies, I’ll keep You in the loop and wish you all a safe year with lots of racing, riding, and whatever else you like to do. Sumdood / Poolio out !
Deja New
1/8/2021 1:46am
Mate I’ve been flat out like a lizard drinking life’s been outta control but I bought some Aussie stuff today I’ll have it in the mail Monday..... I’m inspired by guys like you such awesome outlook...
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
1/8/2021 1:51am
Wishing you speedy recovery Bill. Sending some mental support your way, hopefully things will turn out for the better. Cool
KMC440
1/8/2021 4:53am
Hey Bill, with a displacement like that please be aware of compartment syndrome. Happened to a friend of mine and it sent him on a very bad life journey for about 5yrs. Signs... bloody snot, coughing like you have the flu only your flem and mucus has blood in it. Being out of wind when you move around much. Basically its the fatty tissue in your marrow building in your lungs and causing the sac's in your lungs to clog then burst. This is nothing to take lightly. I never knew of it till he had his tib set too far apart and they didn't grow back together at all.
All the best Kev
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
1/8/2021 6:59am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2021 7:01am
Learned the most on my guitar while laid up with shattered feet on the biggest the Elevator has ever been at Gatorback. came up 2 feet short, literally ba da bump. I have landed on a few down bikes but the scariest was on the water tower jump at Hardrock. I landed right on a down yz and flew over the bars into that one giant bush on the side. I flew upside down and somehow landed safely in that bush. A foot either direction and would of been bad. That track was like straight concrete so I lucked out that time but a few weeks later I won 3 motos and leading the 4th and was about to lap my buddy and tried to scrub past him on gravity cavity. I clipped shoulder of 2 story drop and spun me upside down and backwards. Landed hard but got up quick. My mechanic Greg Dionne jumped fence, grabbed my bike and asked if I was ok. I said yes in a panic but he refused to let me go back out. I rode my bike to my pit lifted it on stand then I leaned my elbows against my seat bummed and my left arm just fell out of socket. First time ever. I ended up breaking my coracoid process off that holds arm in socket. I jump everything. I can only imagine if it popped out over one of those big jumps. Glad Greg stopped me.
RIP Greg and thanks for all your help.
Dam this sport sometimes.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
1/8/2021 12:08pm
KMC440 wrote:
Hey Bill, with a displacement like that please be aware of compartment syndrome. Happened to a friend of mine and it sent him on a very...
Hey Bill, with a displacement like that please be aware of compartment syndrome. Happened to a friend of mine and it sent him on a very bad life journey for about 5yrs. Signs... bloody snot, coughing like you have the flu only your flem and mucus has blood in it. Being out of wind when you move around much. Basically its the fatty tissue in your marrow building in your lungs and causing the sac's in your lungs to clog then burst. This is nothing to take lightly. I never knew of it till he had his tib set too far apart and they didn't grow back together at all.
All the best Kev
None of those symptoms yet. I’m 3 weeks out of surgery today. What was the time frame for that to happen ?

Post a reply to: Walking away

The Latest