Walking away

KMC440
12/26/2020 1:09am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2020 1:12am
Friend of mine would be on the phone with me stuck in traffic on the Bay bridge going into SF. She'd be cursing the bran muffin she had for breakfast. So that's my suggestion, bran muffin.

Hope you give birth soon.

Here maybe this'll help "motivate" you.
https://youtu.be/deMQhFBvg5s
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/26/2020 3:17am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2020 4:59am
KMC440 wrote:
Friend of mine would be on the phone with me stuck in traffic on the Bay bridge going into SF. She'd be cursing the bran muffin...
Friend of mine would be on the phone with me stuck in traffic on the Bay bridge going into SF. She'd be cursing the bran muffin she had for breakfast. So that's my suggestion, bran muffin.

Hope you give birth soon.

Here maybe this'll help "motivate" you.
https://youtu.be/deMQhFBvg5s
Haha
KMC440
12/26/2020 7:07am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2020 7:07am
Yeah SNL from back when. Haven't watched in years, because of the lack of sleep.

Here watch this. In my car we run similar lap times just too much speed differential to run tight like this. Someday we'll make it to Daytona or Sebring, till then we'll have fun up here at RA or close by.

https://youtu.be/MN8wE-oH6Sg
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/26/2020 10:29am
Holy shit that looks fun !

The Shop

sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/26/2020 10:33am
Well here’s the right leg modification photo. I’ll spare you guys the pelvic incision but it basically looks like I had a big giant C-section. I guess the pelvis was plated at both the front and the back, with all the work being done through the front. So no incision in the back.
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
12/26/2020 10:47am
Sumdood, you gonna have some legendary battle scars to talk about, thats a gnarly one. Again, here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
KMC440
12/26/2020 11:19am
Damn Dood ... looks clean and good actually. Now let the healing begin!
12/26/2020 1:45pm
Incision looks GREAT...10 years of (surgical intensive care experience )
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/26/2020 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2020 2:32pm
Incision looks GREAT...10 years of (surgical intensive care experience )
Thanks Georgie Porgie good to know. The staples for the pelvis repair look pretty clean to. Stoked
nytsmaC
12/26/2020 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2020 2:41pm
Damn dood, this is quite the ordeal you’re going through. How’s the ‘good’ leg and arm now? Any more surgeries or do you get to go home soon?

I went through it 2 1/2 years ago. Broke my sternum, ribs, C7 vertebrae, left humerus and shattered the humerus head, tore my rotator cuff and pectoral on the other shoulder, punctured lung and major concussion. I was out cold and from what I’ve read from people who have died and then been revived, I had the same experience while I was out so not sure what to make of that. I got transferred to 3 different hospitals to get to an ortho that would attempt to repair my shoulder. My head wasn’t right for a while, my coordination was off, I couldn’t type coherently and just wasn’t all there. Not sure how much of that was from being medicated or if it was post concussion symptoms but it lasted for months. My coordination is still a little off I feel.

I was off work for 6 months until I was able to get back out there in a very limited capacity. I’m self employed and the whole thing probably set me back 6 figures, easily.

I kept my bike and gear thinking it would be like all of the other times before, and once I was able to I’d want to get back out there. This time was different though, I have had zero urge to ride since then. When I accepted that for what it is I sold my bike, had instant regret and went out and bought a brand new bike. The new bike then sat in the garage all summer, I have not put gas in it or started it. Turns out I just felt weird about not having a bike but still don’t care about riding it.

If it’s time to hang it up it’s time to hang it up, there’s no shame in that. No point in forcing it. When I was younger and some of my older riding buds just stopped riding and moved on with life I couldn’t comprehend it at the time, but now I completely understand.

I hope you get to go home soon and recovery goes well! Thanks for sharing and updating, best wishes!
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/26/2020 3:37pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Damn dood, this is quite the ordeal you’re going through. How’s the ‘good’ leg and arm now? Any more surgeries or do you get to go...
Damn dood, this is quite the ordeal you’re going through. How’s the ‘good’ leg and arm now? Any more surgeries or do you get to go home soon?

I went through it 2 1/2 years ago. Broke my sternum, ribs, C7 vertebrae, left humerus and shattered the humerus head, tore my rotator cuff and pectoral on the other shoulder, punctured lung and major concussion. I was out cold and from what I’ve read from people who have died and then been revived, I had the same experience while I was out so not sure what to make of that. I got transferred to 3 different hospitals to get to an ortho that would attempt to repair my shoulder. My head wasn’t right for a while, my coordination was off, I couldn’t type coherently and just wasn’t all there. Not sure how much of that was from being medicated or if it was post concussion symptoms but it lasted for months. My coordination is still a little off I feel.

I was off work for 6 months until I was able to get back out there in a very limited capacity. I’m self employed and the whole thing probably set me back 6 figures, easily.

I kept my bike and gear thinking it would be like all of the other times before, and once I was able to I’d want to get back out there. This time was different though, I have had zero urge to ride since then. When I accepted that for what it is I sold my bike, had instant regret and went out and bought a brand new bike. The new bike then sat in the garage all summer, I have not put gas in it or started it. Turns out I just felt weird about not having a bike but still don’t care about riding it.

If it’s time to hang it up it’s time to hang it up, there’s no shame in that. No point in forcing it. When I was younger and some of my older riding buds just stopped riding and moved on with life I couldn’t comprehend it at the time, but now I completely understand.

I hope you get to go home soon and recovery goes well! Thanks for sharing and updating, best wishes!
Wow man I’m sorry that happened to you, talk about a life changer. Reading your story makes me feel like a puss lol. I feel lucky that I had a brand new helmet (6D) I’ve always kept my helmets much longer than I really should have, and for whatever reason about a month ago I decided I’m just gonna get rid of the old Shoei And get myself a new helmet. I feel extremely lucky that while I have a long recovery ahead it should be pretty close to a full recovery. I fully understand your regret of selling the bike, then realizing that’s worse than not having a bike, then getting a bike so it’s there “just in case”. And then realizing maybe I don’t wanna do this. I get it man I do. 100%. Thanks for sharing your story. Right now I feel like I want to do easy dual sport trails And keep riding motorcycles. A big part of that is that I am lucky enough that my wife and I do it together and she loves it. If I felt like I wanted to get back into racing I know she would be behind me, but honestly I’m 62 next month for the first time in my life really feel ready to put the competition part of it behind. Quit while I’m still ahead I guess ? Anyway I should be heading home in a few minutes, my wife is down at the pharmacy and they’re getting me all unplugged. Thanks again for the encouraging words and sharing your story, and I’m truly sorry that’s the story you have to share. Hang tough buddy will talk to you soon.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/26/2020 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2020 3:44pm
On a lighter note, every time I look at your screen name it reads as “mynutsack” maybe I have mild dyslexia or I really do keep my helmets too long ? Anyway hope you get a chuckle out of that, Best of luck to you, Carry on 💪
nytsmaC
12/26/2020 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2020 3:55pm
Thanks, I feel like I came out the other side smelling like a rose, got lucky and things healed up better than expected. I remember vividly what it was like being at the stage you’re at now though, lots of sympathy here. I’m glad you’re getting to go home, that’s a huge victory. Hospitals suck.

I take it the good leg and the arm aren’t in need of any further medical attention then? Hopefully when the swelling goes down they’re fine.

Sounds like you’ve been down this road before and your wife is still there so she’s a keeper! Sucks that she’s got to go through this with you again but at least she knows the drill this time, lol. Mine went through hell with me, I wasn’t the easiest person to deal with or being as appreciative as I should have for all of her help at the time and I had a lot of making up to do after it was over. Looking back she was a real saint. Keep posting those updates, and here’s to a better 2021!
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/26/2020 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2020 4:28pm
I didn’t have any clothes to wear home, so my wife stopped by a local store and pick me up a pair of shorts and a T-shirt. Here’s the shirt she picked, nice eh ? I’m glad she has a good sense of humor, Some thing he’s telling me she’s going to need it in the next few weeks. I’ve already vowed that I will not do this to her again... it’s bright pink in real life 😎

nytsmaC
12/26/2020 4:46pm
Haha that’s awesome, reminds me of the clothes that Travolta and Sammy get from Tarantino in Pulp Fiction after they get cleaned up.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/26/2020 8:30pm
Back home !!!!! Merry Christmas ! Thanks for all your guy comments and support. Time to to go work on rehab. This view is a little better eh ?
SKIDLID
Fantasy
918th
12/27/2020 7:07am
Good to see you are home. Remember laughter is a good cure.
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
12/27/2020 7:29am
sumdood wrote:
Back home !!!!! Merry Christmas ! Thanks for all your guy comments and support. Time to to go work on rehab. This view is a little...
Back home !!!!! Merry Christmas ! Thanks for all your guy comments and support. Time to to go work on rehab. This view is a little better eh ?
Hey bud, are you any good on them guitars?

I have 5 and have been hacking away for over 30 yrs and I still can't play one whole song.
yz133rider
12/27/2020 8:03am
sumdood wrote:
Back home !!!!! Merry Christmas ! Thanks for all your guy comments and support. Time to to go work on rehab. This view is a little...
That is a MUCH better view! That by itself should help the healing process a lot!!
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/27/2020 9:14am
Boomslang wrote:
Hey bud, are you any good on them guitars? I have 5 and have been hacking away for over 30 yrs and I still can't play...

I have 5 and have been hacking away for over 30 yrs and I still can't play one whole song.
Sound familiar, been trying for 30 years and still a full on beginner. I can get through a few songs to the end . Last Christmas my son got me an electric with an amp and a loop pedal. That set up has helped a lot especially if you like blues. Latest song I learned with the loop pedal is sleepwalk lol. He gave me head phones too so I can get a background blues track repeating and make up simple leads without driving my wife up a tree haha
LoudLove
12/27/2020 5:18pm
Question to all: which catastrophic injury did NOT involve a jump? June 6 2010 I shattered my left humeral head and several nerve endings casing a step-up double, leaving me with around 50% mobility. Since then it’s been off-road only, and at 57, a much more relaxed and rewarding experience. If you haven’t ridden cross country or enduro, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

So, when will I get my t-shirt? I’ll need a large and XL for my buddy in Ormond Beach. No pressure; next week is fine...
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
12/27/2020 5:39pm
Glad to see you are home 👌
Keep us updated on how your rehab is going....best of luck on as fast of a recovery as possible
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/27/2020 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2020 6:02pm
LoudLove wrote:
Question to all: which catastrophic injury did NOT involve a jump? June 6 2010 I shattered my left humeral head and several nerve endings casing a...
Question to all: which catastrophic injury did NOT involve a jump? June 6 2010 I shattered my left humeral head and several nerve endings casing a step-up double, leaving me with around 50% mobility. Since then it’s been off-road only, and at 57, a much more relaxed and rewarding experience. If you haven’t ridden cross country or enduro, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

So, when will I get my t-shirt? I’ll need a large and XL for my buddy in Ormond Beach. No pressure; next week is fine...
Next week 👍
Chance1216
12/27/2020 5:44pm
LoudLove wrote:
Question to all: which catastrophic injury did NOT involve a jump? June 6 2010 I shattered my left humeral head and several nerve endings casing a...

I had a truck pull out and block the entire road I was on while riding in the Mojave desert. The driver was looking the opposite direction when he pulled out. Truck was camouflaged by the surrounding brush. I remember chasing my uncle down, then a truck came between us. I locked up the brakes and remember looking up at the exhaust of the truck. I don’t remember the impact. Just glimpses of the helicopter ride, the piercing green eyes of the nurse looking at me, saying stay with me then, waking up in a hospital bed surrounded by family. No jumps, just unfortunate circumstances. I never met that nurse or whoever she was. Never saw her face either. Something so different about her eyes I’ll always remember though.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/27/2020 6:09pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I had a truck pull out and block the entire road I was on while riding in the Mojave desert. The driver was looking the opposite...
I had a truck pull out and block the entire road I was on while riding in the Mojave desert. The driver was looking the opposite direction when he pulled out. Truck was camouflaged by the surrounding brush. I remember chasing my uncle down, then a truck came between us. I locked up the brakes and remember looking up at the exhaust of the truck. I don’t remember the impact. Just glimpses of the helicopter ride, the piercing green eyes of the nurse looking at me, saying stay with me then, waking up in a hospital bed surrounded by family. No jumps, just unfortunate circumstances. I never met that nurse or whoever she was. Never saw her face either. Something so different about her eyes I’ll always remember though.
Damn that sucks
Chance1216
12/27/2020 6:30pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I had a truck pull out and block the entire road I was on while riding in the Mojave desert. The driver was looking the opposite...
sumdood wrote:
Damn that sucks
Still better then getting little bananas shoved up my a** 😂
nytsmaC
12/27/2020 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2020 8:38pm
LoudLove wrote:

Jump here too, 4th gear 100ft table and I swapped on the landing and highsided, pretty sure my left hand may have blown off the bars or something to cause it. It was muddy so may have just cross rutted too, not exactly sure what went wrong. just remember getting thrown off balance and the ground rushing up, and then lights out.
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
12/27/2020 9:03pm
We worst injuries ever was caused by hitting a small bump about half the size of a standard whoop. There was a rut in the middle, two of us on 125s were wide open gunning for the rut, the other dude got his wheel in there just before me and I never backed off, i hit the steeper part skew and launched into the air...and over the bars.

The injuries were - a concussion, stitchers in the chin, lacerated tongue, seperated right shoulder and a broken right femur.

I miss riding badly but at this point in my life I don't miss getting hurt and I can't afford to get hurt..one needs to work.

One thing ya all need to try is a shifter kart on a proper track. I used to race karts, its a rush and the chances of getting hurt is very low.
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
12/27/2020 9:09pm
Boomslang wrote:
Hey bud, are you any good on them guitars? I have 5 and have been hacking away for over 30 yrs and I still can't play...

sumdood wrote:
Sound familiar, been trying for 30 years and still a full on beginner. I can get through a few songs to the end . Last Christmas...
Sound familiar, been trying for 30 years and still a full on beginner. I can get through a few songs to the end . Last Christmas my son got me an electric with an amp and a loop pedal. That set up has helped a lot especially if you like blues. Latest song I learned with the loop pedal is sleepwalk lol. He gave me head phones too so I can get a background blues track repeating and make up simple leads without driving my wife up a tree haha
We worst injuries ever was caused by hitting a small bump about half the size of a standard whoop. There was a rut in the middle, two of us on 125s were wide open gunning for the rut, the other dude got his wheel in there just before me and I never backed off, i hit the steeper part skew and launched into the air...and over the bars.

The injuries were - a concussion, stitchers in the chin, lacerated tongue, seperated right shoulder and a broken right femur.

I miss riding badly but at this point in my life I don't miss getting hurt and I can't afford to get hurt..one needs to work.

One thing ya all need to try is a shifter kart on a proper track. I used to race karts, its a rush and the chances of getting hurt is very low.
captmoto
12/27/2020 11:21pm
sumdood wrote:
Hahaha didn’t see this earlier, that’s where I’m at right now, apple juice, cranberry juice, water, stool softeners, pudding, coffee, Mexican hospital food tonight, my wife...
Hahaha didn’t see this earlier, that’s where I’m at right now, apple juice, cranberry juice, water, stool softeners, pudding, coffee, Mexican hospital food tonight, my wife is going get more than she bargained for if nothing happens in the next few hours. I’m supposed to go home tomorrow..... Hey man the deal was for better or worse, and right now the worst is not looking too pleasant.
If I had seen this earlier I would have recommended you swing through Taco Bell on your way home. Best wishes and hope your recovery is uncomplicated.

Post a reply to: Walking away

The Latest