Walking away

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
Edited Date/Time 1/17/2021 12:46am
I’ll always be a fan of motocross, it’s been part of my whole life. I’ll be at every local national or super cross , will go watch races at local tracks, will support the sport every way I can. I’ll still ride my dual sport and go camping and desert riding with family and friends. I love dirt bikes, always have, always will. I raised my kids riding and racing motorcycles from pw50’s on up. My wife rides, we dual sport all over and will continue to do so. In 2019 I turned 60 and made almost every so cal otmx race that year and got my lowest overall club position ever (9th overall) This year I was the club secretary and made almost every race this year. Two Sundays ago at Perris I launched off a third gear easy double And came down right on top of another racers down bike. Boom, Life changer. That race was on the 13th, I am writing this from the hospital hoping to be home by Christmas. 2021 Will be a year of healing. 4 to 6 months of non-weight bearing with a fairly full recovery hopefully at a year. The laundry list of injuries from this one stupid crash is so long I can’t even hardly believe it. Anyways I will still be around checking in and posting and following everything related to motocross, and as far as waking up at four in the morning and getting to tracks and showing up and “having” to be at some race or another ? I think that ship has sailed. You guys all be safe out there, then some good time with your families over the holidays and take care of yourselves. This is not a good time to be in a hospital, they are overworked and understaffed and you are not allowed any family member in to give you any hand. This one has been hard on the wife, hard on the business, and to be honest with you just not really worth that stupid $10 trophy. Take care be safe hug your loved ones I’ll be seeing you
|
G-man
12/22/2020 10:43am Edited Date/Time 12/22/2020 7:08pm
Sorry to hear about the sad news being in the Hospital and I totally understand and agree with you 100%.

I came to my realization about 6 years ago (62 now) at the AZOTMX International event. Racing the Master class there were ONLY 5 of us and two were ex-National racers like Eric McKenna. Needless to say I was beat before the gate dropped. About halfway through the 30 min moto (extended for these events) it came to me "why am I racing balls out trying to hang with two guys!!!?? Dizzy " I pulled to the side of the track and waited for the checkered flag to come out. Only time I have ever done that. Also my good friend who I talked into coming out to race crashed and ended up in the hospital so that also was in the back of my mind.

Not a good way to race and haven't done so since.

Now I just trail ride, but that also has it's own sets of precarious moments but not quite as bad.

Hope you Heal Up fine sumdood.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
12/22/2020 10:47am
Damn sorry to hear Sumdood. Heal up bud, hope you get home in time for Christmas. “Them dirt cycles is a mean toy”- little fauss and big halsey.
JeremyK
12/22/2020 10:48am
Damn, heal up and stay healthy .
omalley
12/22/2020 11:01am
sumdood wrote:
I’ll always be a fan of motocross, it’s been part of my whole life. I’ll be at every local national or super cross , will go...
I’ll always be a fan of motocross, it’s been part of my whole life. I’ll be at every local national or super cross , will go watch races at local tracks, will support the sport every way I can. I’ll still ride my dual sport and go camping and desert riding with family and friends. I love dirt bikes, always have, always will. I raised my kids riding and racing motorcycles from pw50’s on up. My wife rides, we dual sport all over and will continue to do so. In 2019 I turned 60 and made almost every so cal otmx race that year and got my lowest overall club position ever (9th overall) This year I was the club secretary and made almost every race this year. Two Sundays ago at Perris I launched off a third gear easy double And came down right on top of another racers down bike. Boom, Life changer. That race was on the 13th, I am writing this from the hospital hoping to be home by Christmas. 2021 Will be a year of healing. 4 to 6 months of non-weight bearing with a fairly full recovery hopefully at a year. The laundry list of injuries from this one stupid crash is so long I can’t even hardly believe it. Anyways I will still be around checking in and posting and following everything related to motocross, and as far as waking up at four in the morning and getting to tracks and showing up and “having” to be at some race or another ? I think that ship has sailed. You guys all be safe out there, then some good time with your families over the holidays and take care of yourselves. This is not a good time to be in a hospital, they are overworked and understaffed and you are not allowed any family member in to give you any hand. This one has been hard on the wife, hard on the business, and to be honest with you just not really worth that stupid $10 trophy. Take care be safe hug your loved ones I’ll be seeing you
Sorry to hear of your crash and injuries. I think with tracks getting spread out so far (at least where I live) and the cost of bikes and travel, the reward factor is going down as a total equation. Plus I know I’m traveling at far higher speeds on the 4-stroke than I ever did in my younger days on two strokes...and I’m not that good, lol...

I’m getting to the point you’re at as well. I’m sure we’ve all laid in the dirt, swearing that Monday our bike will be for sale and golf clubs will be on order...but for the first time in my life of riding, my crash this fall was different. It not only hurt, but actually scared me as to just how wrong it could’ve gone (and honestly I’m not sure why it didn’t). Sold my bike shortly after to help with some $$$ to get my house ready to sell. Took a long time to think about whether to be done. I’ll be getting one more bike this spring, but if I’m not feeling it, I’m done.

The Shop

Nighttrain
12/22/2020 11:52am
Very sorry to read that, Sumdood. You helped me through 3 joint replacement surgeries with advice and comments on here. I really hope you can get out of the hospital soon and heal up in the best possible way.
Deja New
12/22/2020 11:59am
Hope you make it home for Christmas and do all your healing up from home.... get well mate.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
12/22/2020 12:15pm
Man, what a bummer. Best wishes for a sped up recovery!
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
12/22/2020 12:32pm
So sad to hear of your crash/injuries 🥲
My god I just can’t imagine going through that at our age....I’m 61.

I stepped away from dirt bikes at 50 after racing since I was 10 years old. It got to the point where all I was thinking about was “don’t crash don’t crash” while I’m racing around the track. Not a good mindset to be in at all. My last race, my older brother was in a gate that went off before me and when I came around a blind corner he was laying n the middle of my line on the outside and my
momentum took me right over him. Thank god it was just his legs that I ran over and not his head. He was already messed up (tore his knee up terribly) so I’m glad I didn’t do any damage. I stopped and ran back to him and he’s yelling at me to get back in the race so I took back off down the track. The corner workers were taking care of him.

Anyway after dealing with that and seeing how long he was laid up with surgery, I decided no more. Since then I’ve spent all my spare time on dual sport/street bikes. I ride over 10,000 miles a year and have a great time. I know people cringe at the thought of street riding but with years of moto skills I think we all have a advantage over those who never raced moto. I feel pretty safe out there.

I hope you recover quickly and get out n time for Christmas. Best wishes to you and once again I am so sorry you are going through this. I’m 30 miles south and if I can ever do anything for you give me a holler. I ride up to San Clemente and beyond almost every week and would be glad to swing by and help with anything if needed.

Kenny - 760/207/9371
JRT812
12/22/2020 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2020 1:12pm
Bummer man but I understand. Made the same decision 5 years ago for various reasons. Got my kids a few crf 50’s for Christmas... kind of have the itch to get me another bike after doing some “testing” on the one that came with tall bars. I had forgot what it felt like to twist a throttle. My wife said she hadn’t seen me smile like that in a minute and these are just silly 50’s haha

Racing days are over but maybe just some play riding with them. Hope you get to feeling better
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
12/22/2020 1:17pm
Thanks you guys. This one is a muther fu#*¥!cker. 1 crash = right femur broken in multiple places, Rod not possible due to my right hip replacement, so it was plated from the outside. That surgery was done Monday. Open book pelvis fracture, that surgery was done Tuesday. L-4 & L-5 vertebrae’s fractured ( good luckily thank God no cord damage or surgery required for those ) left knee wrecked, not sure how bad yet but it’s huge, my left leg is purple and not usable. I can feel my knee socket moving around. Left thigh has burning “nerve pain that should subside” meanwhile it’s the “good” side that is supposed to do all the work. Left shoulder clicks and moves when I try to use it, not sure where we are officially with that one yet but again that is the side that is supposed to carry the weight. Right bicep attempted use results in burning pain. Again I’m supposed to carry myself around with my arms... I am on NG tube number 2, those are the drain tubes that go through your nose into your stomach. I got the first one after 12 to 14 hours of uncontrolled vomiting. Then did round two after they pulled it out too soon I guess. I have a bowel obstruction from the complication from the pelvis surgery, been living on an IV and a half a cup of ice chips every six hours for eight days now, The positive thing is the catheter tube is out and I can actually P out of my pecker so that’s a plus. Currently waiting for something to hopefully happen bowel wise or back to surgery for that. Staying cool has not been a problem I’m packed with more ice than a crate of frozen fish. 😂 I am determined to get through this with my sense of humor intact.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
12/22/2020 1:28pm
Here’s the “good leg that didn’t break”

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
12/22/2020 1:33pm
Got two bags of blood last night, getting two bags of potassium today. Judging from my arm it looks like the right color bloodLaughing
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/22/2020 1:35pm
Dang, dude. Heal up fast. (OK, "fast" may be a relative term, but I hope you get back to 100%.)

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
12/22/2020 1:37pm
I’m not 100% sure but from what I’m being told the flagger ran down to help the rider that crashed in front of me. The last thing I remember is seeing a bike on its side looking at the bottom of the engine cases, and I think I cased right onto his cases, So no suspension travel to soak in and I got just full metal on metal stop
OG725
12/22/2020 1:37pm
Worry about healing up first and foremost! Maybe it's time you turn it down a notch.
Deja New
12/22/2020 1:43pm
Mate got an address we can send you a little something for Christmas? Tim tams go a long way to help you feel better Smile
Deja New
12/22/2020 1:46pm
Hope you’re doing financially ok happy to chuck a little something your way if you need help to be to shy to ask! Times like these suck so I hope you have all the emotional support you need.
KMC440
12/22/2020 1:52pm
Dammit Dood !!
All the prayers for you to get the "miracle" healing and shock everyone by gettin out of there very very soon!!
Once I got my business going the first thing that ran through my head as I was three wide in the first corner for a +50 holeshot was ... "hey dumbass what the hell are you doing ? ain't nobody going to drive your truck for you .... !!"
Since that epiphany I'm mr hang out in back and cruize the track. Risk vs reward isn't even an option. Hell I feel like I'm there for the comradery more than anything.
Anyway keep your eyes to the horizon, chin up, and check out the hot nurses.
(I never get them😠)
Kevin
Nighttrain
12/22/2020 2:10pm
Man, that’s Evel Knievel level of calamities. You’re a tough dude and will get thru this in record time. Like the t-shirt says, “Scars are like tattoos with better stories”.
jgmxdad251
12/22/2020 3:06pm
Oh man, sorry to hear Sumdood! Keep your chin up and try and get out of the Hospital.
Ted722
12/22/2020 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2020 3:31pm
Sumdood, I was reading your post a couple hours ago and got a phone call from Sierra Ski Ranch that my 15 year old came down the mountain via ski patrol / toboggan and appears to have a concussion. Drove up to pick her up (so the adult and other kids could continue). All in all she appears Ok, but we're keeping close watch.

Ironic, since my "walk away moment" involved a major concussion (no other injuries) on a blind 4th gear jump / obstructed landing. That was ten years ago. Have raced moto here and there and have done a decent amount of off-road / hare scrambles since then, but it's different now and I'm ok with it.

Completely understand where you're at. My half-glass statement is it could have been worse, but I know I'm preaching to the choir because I know you know that. Glad you're recovering and here to share your story and receive that positive healing feedback that only moto doods could understand. Prayers / thoughts / vibes your way for a good recovery, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!
12/22/2020 3:41pm
Sumdood send me a pm. Call me anytime. Scream through the phone if ya want. Hospitals are a lonely place. Especially right now.

You’ll heal up brother. Gonna be long road but it’ll pass.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
12/22/2020 3:55pm
Deja New wrote:
Mate got an address we can send you a little something for Christmas? Tim tams go a long way to help you feel better Smile
Dude that is so nice of you, you are a class act thank you for even thinking that. There will be some challenges but my son is kicking ass at keeping the show running so far. Maybe when I get back mobile will have a bills pool service t shirt sale 👍
dustmx
Fantasy
1861st
12/22/2020 4:31pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2020 4:34pm
Wow there is no shame! Only total respect I’m only in my 30’s love the sport have had a break since I got kids that are into other sports I have been in and out of hospitals and with age it did not get easier. With these times and not the youngster you were I’m sure it’s difficult..
I can only say try your best to look to the positives and pass your knowledge along, I look up to you head strong and if there is anything we as a community, myself can do to help I am and we are here ..
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
12/22/2020 5:48pm
That's brutal news! Hope you heal quickly and completely Sumdood!

Old injuries, bad knees and herniated vertebrae in my neck took me off the MX track a few years ago. Still have lots of bikes to tinker on and restore to keep me going and close to the sport.

All the best to you in your recovery, moto-bro. Sorry you can't be with your family this Christmas. Please keep us posted on how you are getting along!
12/22/2020 6:06pm
Personally, I am impressed. There’s a lot of people that can’t even walk to the end of their driveway at 61 without assistance let alone can say they broke their pelvis and femur riding motocross at that age.

I’m almost 50 and every time I get the itch to pickup another bike - that 21 Honda 450r is so damn sexy - I end up reminding myself that I’m not the man I used to be. You’re in a very elite group. I know it’s painful to walk away from the sport but It’s been a damn fine run I’d say.

Heal up quick Sir.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
12/22/2020 6:11pm
Dam this sport sometimes. If we removed the injuries and cost it would be a dream. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Maybe you are feeling so much pain right now that any future injuries in life should be easy peasy? Heal well good sir!
reded
12/22/2020 6:49pm
You’ve had a good run, focus on healing up and getting home. Let us know if you decide to sell t-shirts, been wanting one for a long time and would pay double to help out a moto guy in need.
Chance1216
12/22/2020 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2020 8:23pm
Sumdood,
We all eventually come to that crossroad deciding what’s next. I have hardware, been life flighted out of Mojave and still keep bouncing myself off trees in the PNW. I guess I’m hard headed. But, eventually I’ll have to find something to replace a passion so dear to me. We all do. When that time comes, it’ll be something I can include my friends and family with. That’s what riding has always been about for me.
I hope your recovery goes quickly. I look forward to continually seeing your posts here on Vital.
Also, make sure to ask all the hot nurses for sponge baths. I did every time I was in the hospital. My wife still brings that up. Smile n wave.
Take care mister.

I’ll take a shirt or two if you decide to sell them also.

Post a reply to: Walking away

The Latest