Vintage mini bikes !!

race
Edited Date/Time 10/9/2020 4:23pm
Anyone here into vintage mini bikes?

And by vintage I mean the stuff from the mid 60s to early 70s that used lawnmower or chain saw engines. Some of the bikes were Taco, Bonanza, Rupp, Flexo, Lil Indian, Arctic Cat, etc. (I am excluding the more modern stuff that came later from the Japanese like the Honda Monkey bike (Z50), etc. Save that for another thread)

There was a time when every neighborhood was alive with the sound of kids buzzing around on these things ... usually after seeing an ad for one at the back of a comic book or magazine and pleading with the parents to get one.

I remember them well and have seen an upsurge of interest in them the last 5-10 years. In LA I go to a show every year and they are all out on display in a nice park setting. Very cool to see. Towards the end of the show everyone fires them up and revs them out. You have two minutes of pure mini bike mayhem.

I'm starting to toy with the idea of putting one together. Since I'm a two stroke guy my main interest would be in a smoker rather than a four stroke. I remember as a kid on my Briggs powered Taco 22 being awed by older kids that had a West Bend, Power Products or even a McCulloch, with the infamous Mac101 being the grand daddy of engines.

But I got lots of questions, so who is into this stuff? Maybe some of you used those motors in a go kart even?

|
ATKpilot99
7/3/2020 5:39pm
Nice ! I'm gathering parts to finish a west bend 820 engine and I was either going to put it on a kart or a mini bike . After this thread I'm leaning towards a mini bike.
race
7/3/2020 6:16pm
Do you have any experience with a West Bend 820? Or a Mac 101?

I have no idea what kind of power they would have in a mini bike and the ratings are all over the map. The WB 820 seems to vary from 6.5 to 10 hp. Wiki shows the MC-101B as 12.5 hp.

How did you obtain your motor and what kind of shape is it in? I imagine parts are somewhat scarce.

Here's a pretty wild build of twin 820s -

ATKpilot99
7/3/2020 6:54pm
I have quite a bit of experience with the 820 as I worked at us motor power in the 90s and we built the same basic engine. In industrial trim it was 7 or 8 hp . That's with a restrictive exhaust. There was a spec kart class in the late 90s with a k&n type filter and rlv exhaust and we got about 11 hp out of it. It would be hard to run that pipe on a mini bike though. Twin 820s would be bad ass.
Sully
7/3/2020 6:58pm
Luckily for me, I started out on an Indian Mini Mini, but I got to ride one of those hard tails a couple of times. I'm actually surprised I'm not still pissing blood from the beating my kidneys took.

The Shop

race
7/3/2020 7:45pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I have quite a bit of experience with the 820 as I worked at us motor power in the 90s and we built the same basic...
I have quite a bit of experience with the 820 as I worked at us motor power in the 90s and we built the same basic engine. In industrial trim it was 7 or 8 hp . That's with a restrictive exhaust. There was a spec kart class in the late 90s with a k&n type filter and rlv exhaust and we got about 11 hp out of it. It would be hard to run that pipe on a mini bike though. Twin 820s would be bad ass.
Very cool you worked with them. I just checked the US Motor Power site. Learning a lot today!

I also checked out the RLV site. May contact them and see if people have adapted them to mini bikes.

Back in the day everyone seemed to use those short little Azusa headers. Which would still leave your ears ringing after a ride!

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
7/3/2020 11:15pm
Went through a Briggs & Stratton phase with our kids. Here’s one of the mini bikes I put together, (not me riding). A Tote Goat and the “Lime Limo” Our kids and their friends would pile all over that go cart and just drove the thing into the ground. I was so proud 😂😂. Every kid needs to experience the Ching Ching Ching of a centrifugal clutch lol.

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
7/4/2020 10:08am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2020 10:12am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I have quite a bit of experience with the 820 as I worked at us motor power in the 90s and we built the same basic...
race wrote:
Very cool you worked with them. I just checked the US Motor Power site. Learning a lot today! I also checked out the RLV site. May...
Very cool you worked with them. I just checked the US Motor Power site. Learning a lot today!

I also checked out the RLV site. May contact them and see if people have adapted them to mini bikes.

Back in the day everyone seemed to use those short little Azusa headers. Which would still leave your ears ringing after a ride!

We called those "Blooey" pipes, not sure it's that's an official name or not. I had another go Kart that had a West Bend motor. If I remember correct the cylinder and head were one piece ? I know you could look in the pipe and see the piston. My Dad used to stuff a wrag in the exhaust as soon as it shut off to "Keep the rings from crystalizing" ? That one had direct drive, no clutch so if you stopped your turn was over. It was geared to the moon and had a stupid fast top end, but it took 30 seconds to get there. That one met it's demise when I lost it and ran it into a chain link fence and bent one of the front wheels up. Never got it to turn correctly again. Turn one way and it would turn on a dime, turn the other way and both wheels pushed and you get going straight BlinkSad
race
7/4/2020 12:45pm
I remember a couple kids had direct drive. You could always tell because the rear tire would be completely bald. You had to push / bump start them which meant dragging the rear tire which was locked up from engine compression until you could jump on and bump start.

Actually, my first attempt riding a 'doodlebug' was on a direct drive and a total disaster. With direct drive, slowing to a near stop and turning is a real art without stalling it. A friend of my older brother was letting some of us try his direct drive but they would stall it every time they slowed down too much. And then the whole bump start chore would have to be done.

I was way too young at the time but gave it a try (wearing shorts, t-shirt and bare feet). Everything went fine until I had to turn around at the end of the street. Determined not to stall it I gave it gas ... way too much gas and slammed into a low brick wall. That resulted in the first of MANY trips to my nearest friends house bleeding to death at their front door and a trip to the emergency room. Laughing

race
7/4/2020 2:56pm

Pause it and slo-mo right as the rider gets close and note the perfect form ... even going so far as to help weight the front wheel with his tongue.

just James
7/5/2020 6:20am
At one time when I was a kid I had one of those old rigid frame mini bikes. I bought it used, for $50. I never found any kind of identification numbers or anything on it, so I have no idea who it was made by. Had an eight horse Briggs and Scrap Iron motor with a jack shaft. It had one of those centrifugal clutches that squeezed against a v-belt. On the other end of the jack shaft there was a sprocket for the drive chain, and outboard of that was another v-belt pulley which was used for a brake. When I bought it, it was not completely assembled, and my dad (who was somewhat disabled from a stroke) had to put the finishing touches on it. He fashioned a throttle pedal out of an old hinge, and a brake pedal about 8 inches behind that with another hinge, so I had to take my foot off of the "peg" and move it back to use the brake. The "pegs" actually consisted of about a two foot piece of steel pipe bolted across the frame, and sticking out on each side. No suspension, and no front brake. Had wheelbarrow tires on it. It was a very heavy contraption. For what it was, it actually seemed to have pretty good power. The brake was just a section of v-belt bolted to the brake pedal, which tightened around the outboard pulley when applied.
I had a blast on that old death trap, and I really wish I had some pictures of it.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
7/6/2020 7:10am
Fun thread.

I have a basket case Sears that uses a 4hp B&S. It was mine from new, but needs a rebuild. Anybody know where I can source one of those friction brake shoes that rubbed up against the rear tire to stop? High tech!

H
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
7/6/2020 12:42pm
It had to be an alloy of some sort- didn't rust. And the contact surface was radiused to match the curvature of the tire. Very trick.
race
7/6/2020 5:12pm
OK, so we've got a West Bend (now US Motor Power) expert on here with ATKpilot. Now we need a McCulloch expert to join. Where are all the karting guys? They would know their way around a Mac.

Need to decide if I will go with a Bender or a Mac.

I think a 101 (Mac) would have the edge on power over an 820 given identical builds but lots of different factors besides performance to consider ... engine and parts availability, reliability, cost, vintage value, etc.

Another question is where do I ride the thing? Not going to be popular with the neighborhood if running one of those earsplitting Azusa headers! Was thinking I could drag it along out to the local tracks and maybe wring it out on the kids track or in the pits?

A couple of Mac powered rides -

race
7/10/2020 12:14am
Found pic of a Mac 101 build. Would love to try it for a spin -

Also this super clean Hodaka powered Bonanza would probably stomp every minibike out there ...

but it's more of a miniature dirt bike now than a minibike.
roost251
7/10/2020 5:07pm
Cat 250x my first bike, "La Bamba"
Shiftfaced
7/10/2020 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2020 7:05pm
This was my main commuter, 2010 - 2015.

Had a 140cc motor with 4-speed manual transmission. It was a shit-ton of fun.

I am 210#, and it would do 50 mph.

race
7/10/2020 9:41pm
roost251 wrote:
Cat 250x my first bike, "La Bamba" [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/10/437267/s1200_20200706_080350.jpg[/img]
What's the motor?

blusmbl
7/11/2020 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2020 7:24pm
race wrote:
What's the motor?

Looks like one of the Honda clones.

Detroit and Milwaukee are both huge in the minibike scene currently, I'm pretty surprised at how popular they are here.

Detroit is primarily drag racing, people build some serious bikes here and race them at Milan and Ubly. A few manufacturers were from the Detroit area so there is good support and lots of resources for restorations.

Milwaukee... people race them on flat tracks, in parking lots, in front of the Harley Museum, and even through bars. I'm #138 on my Lil Indian here, at the time it was clone powered. I completely rebuilt it over the covid lockdown, powdercoated frame, Briggs World Formula motor, bunch of blingy accessories, and I have a 2 speed setup on it currently but it was quicker with a good single speed clutch.

blusmbl
7/12/2020 4:56pm
It felt like a hare scramble in a bar!!

Another video from the weekend. This was the first night of the Flat out Friday weekend, all the events were cancelled but races like this popped up all over the city. There is also a video that made it on Sportscenter of a porta potty going around a roundabout, I'm in that too. lol

I really appreciate Milwaukee as a city for this kind of stuff. They don't take themselves too seriously and really embrace the motorcycle culture.
roost251
7/12/2020 5:01pm
roost251 wrote:
Cat 250x my first bike, "La Bamba" [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/10/437267/s1200_20200706_080350.jpg[/img]
race wrote:
What's the motor?

Yep, Lifan 195 - HF greyhound engines
race
7/12/2020 8:01pm
That bar racing is awesome! Makes it real convenient to do the Hakan Carlqvist / Namur grab a beer bit.

So where's the smokers?

blusmbl
7/13/2020 7:28am
One guy had a 2 cylinder snowmobile engine in a very oddly assembled boonie bike, but for the most part the 2 strokes aren't competitive, and I never see them around Detroit. From what I've seen everyone either builds Briggs animal based engines or the predator clones, both small block and big block.
race
7/18/2020 3:03pm
New sheriff in town !!

Hey! No snickering ... when he wanted to the Hoss could lay it down.

Take that Mikeyyy !!!

race
7/27/2020 12:03am
Well, it's official. Mini bikes are cool !!

Or are you gonna argue with the King of Cool himself -

BTW - Looks like Stevie has a left foot ouchie there.

So where are all the karting guys? Somebody jump on that's familiar with Macs.

G-man
7/28/2020 9:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/28/2020 9:05pm
Taco 22's and the Bonanza 5hp ruled around my neighborhood in the 60's.

Of course pops would never get me one... Sad
ATKpilot99
7/29/2020 3:25pm

I don't know a lot about Macs but I do know they have a larger reed cage than an 820 so I picked one up off ebay . The cage on the left obviously. I think it's the main reason a stock 100cc mac is more powerful than a stock 820 which is 134cc .
I know that people have modified their 820 manifolds to accept the mac cage so I'm going to have to hit some kart forums to get some tips.
The other pic is the parts I have gathered for my 820 build .
Should be fun .
ATKpilot99
7/29/2020 3:41pm

Sorry that pic of the parts was blurry. And the other pic here is the bore of the 820 block. I think the stock ports should be fine with the increase in air/fuel of the mac cage but I'll find out more from the vintage kart experts.
race
7/29/2020 4:40pm
What I am seeing on various karting sites is that in stock form a 101 will "blow Away" a stock 820.

But once you start in with the mods the 820s can be competitive. I see chatter on the 820s re the "Bonbright modified Coppeheads". Maybe you're familiar with this stuff? It sounds like Dave Bonbright is / was one of the more respected tuners for Benders.

Here's a comment from a Mac 101 vs WB 820 thread - "Bonbright's "vintage 820s" (same as the copperhead except without the enlarged head/shroud and special paint) on alky and with a good pipe will run just fine with the stock 101's I have experience with."

Also, it sounds like they often just throw a second carb on a stock 820 and run alcohol for a dramatic performance gain.

Of course, I'm not going to be racing a kart so I also need some practical advice such as cost, parts availability, reliability, etc.

Gotta think there are some vintage karters somewhere on Vital ...

Post a reply to: Vintage mini bikes !!

The Latest