Spinner
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 11:48pm
What's a good vehicle GPS I can get?
TomTom? Garmin?

Educate me you bastards.
|
the_wood109
2/23/2011 2:32am
any phone with an android OS should have it. So should an iphone.
72kiteboarder
2/23/2011 5:29am
I have a Garmin Nuvi 255W. It is a good unit. You can even record your own voice or you kids for the directions.
Void Main
2/23/2011 5:47am
I just bought another Garmin this past weekend. That's about the 10th Garmin GPS I have bought. You would think I would be buying Tom Tom since they run Linux but they came out after I started with the Garmins and I have had really good luck with Garmin units. I must say that I also have an Android Phone and the Navigation on the Android phone kicks some serious ass. It only has one major problem that causes me to still need a regular GPS unit. It pulls the maps off of the Internet as you drive so if you lose your data network while driving in the sticks the Navigation becomes useless. I do a lot of driving in the sticks where there is no data connectivity.

The Shop

huck
2/23/2011 6:11am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2011 6:13am
I have a Tom Tom and love love it.

Super easy to use.

I even take it, when we take my wife's suburban...and it has a built in GPS.

My map and gps on my iphone is great, but like Void said, sometimes it's a little slow, loading the map.

With bigger tires on my truck, than stock, the GPS gives me an accurate speed as well. It even gives a red bar, if I'm over the posted speed limit. It may sound corny, but that actually helps me watch my speed a little.
Racer92
2/23/2011 6:49am
huck wrote:
I have a Tom Tom and love love it. Super easy to use. I even take it, when we take my wife's suburban...and it has a...

Super easy to use.

My map and gps on my iphone is great, but like Void said, sometimes it's a little slow, loading the map.

With bigger tires on my truck, than stock, the GPS gives me an accurate speed as well. It even gives a red bar, if I'm over the posted speed limit. It may sound corny, but that actually helps me watch my speed a little.
Doesnt sound corny at all, great tool to have.

What model in particular huck ?
huck
2/23/2011 7:29am
huck wrote:
I have a Tom Tom and love love it. Super easy to use. I even take it, when we take my wife's suburban...and it has a...

Super easy to use.

Racer92 wrote:
Doesnt sound corny at all, great tool to have.

What model in particular huck ?
LOL, I knew somebody was going to ask that... It's actually in my wife's car right now...

It's full touch screen and full color. I'm not exactly sure on the model. I'll look at it tonight....
huck
2/23/2011 7:35am
Tom Tom XL... is what the software on my computer says. It doesn't have the exact model though....
72kiteboarder
2/23/2011 8:31am
Garmin charges like $80 to update the maps. It is not necessary to update very often but it is kind of expensive. I would check the other brands and find out how much they charge and take that into consideration.
huck
2/23/2011 8:53am
Garmin charges like $80 to update the maps. It is not necessary to update very often but it is kind of expensive. I would check the...
Garmin charges like $80 to update the maps. It is not necessary to update very often but it is kind of expensive. I would check the other brands and find out how much they charge and take that into consideration.
A lot of the TomTom ones have "lifetime" updates free....
Void Main
2/23/2011 9:00am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2011 9:01am
Garmin charges like $80 to update the maps. It is not necessary to update very often but it is kind of expensive. I would check the...
I have always updated all my maps for free on my Garmins (in a "non-supported" way of course). Smile Oh, I also put a mount on my street bike. I LOVE it for riding more than anything. I can go get lost and just press "go home" and gives me a route back. It also records my track and I can display the track on Google Earth or upload it to this other cool web site along with my photos and it will show the route we took and place the photos in the proper location along that route:

http://www.everytrail.com/

I'm glad my GPS doesn't show up red when I am over the speed limit. It would be red all the time. Smile It does have some ECO features though that will tell you how economically you are driving. You have to enter a little data about your vehicle and then it calculates real time. I also like that it can leave a track on screen (you have to turn that feature on). I have had several Garmin models from an old Geko (which I still have) to a forerunner that was like a wristwatch that I used when I was Marathon training and bicycling. I recently went to the wider screen model for the car and bike which I like because it can show a lot of data on the right (direction, speed, elevation, etc, etc) and still have plenty of room for the map on the left.
kaw rider9
2/23/2011 9:43am
huck wrote:

Super easy to use.

Does it tell you when someone's brother is about to put a decal on your truck?Cool
huck
2/23/2011 10:10am
huck wrote:

Super easy to use.

kaw rider9 wrote:
Does it tell you when someone's brother is about to put a decal on your truck?Cool
It's still on there!
Spinner
2/23/2011 11:32am
Bonepony, I'm damn good with maps. I'm trying to find something easy to use for the woman. And, I really don't want her jackassing around with a phone while driving. Just want to find something easy to use and affordable she can mount in her car n the dash.

Thanks guys, I'm leaning toward the TomTom with the touch screen. Found one on eBay for 71 bucks brand new.
txmxer
2/23/2011 11:36am
Spinner wrote:
Bonepony, I'm damn good with maps. I'm trying to find something easy to use for the woman. And, I really don't want her jackassing around with...
Bonepony, I'm damn good with maps. I'm trying to find something easy to use for the woman. And, I really don't want her jackassing around with a phone while driving. Just want to find something easy to use and affordable she can mount in her car n the dash.

Thanks guys, I'm leaning toward the TomTom with the touch screen. Found one on eBay for 71 bucks brand new.
is she hawt? I'm definitely easy...free is affordable...and she can mount me on the dash or anywhere else she wants...

Silly
Blake
2/23/2011 11:58am
One more fucking thing people are looking at instead of the road.

Thats why I leave the Head of a weight distribution hitch on. So when they rear end me it takes out their radiator. Pretty soon this country will be so dumbed down Nascar guys will need a GPS to drive in a circle.

If you're off roading in the backcountry, its another deal.
Sparkalounger
2/23/2011 2:21pm
Blake wrote:
One more fucking thing people are looking at instead of the road. Thats why I leave the Head of a weight distribution hitch on. So when...

Thats why I leave the Head of a weight distribution hitch on. So when they rear end me it takes out their radiator. Pretty soon this country will be so dumbed down Nascar guys will need a GPS to drive in a circle.

man you are short sighted...
flarider
2/23/2011 4:59pm
Blake wrote:
One more fucking thing people are looking at instead of the road. Thats why I leave the Head of a weight distribution hitch on. So when...

in many, many ways
Sparkalounger
2/23/2011 6:10pm
any phone with an android OS should have it. So should an iphone.
x2
are you related to Rick?

the phone does not work for me as i am generally on it while driving...
bigmaico
2/24/2011 10:51am
I just bought a Tom tom Xl 350 with life time updates, took less then 5 minutes to figure out & I had to make one call to activate my life time downloads.

I got to try it out on a trip to San Antonio to see my Nephew at Lackland AFB, he as there for extended training.

I've been to San Antonio several times ,but not to that part of the city & the Tom tom got me where I needed to go on several different times.

I'm sold, now I just need to teach the wife how to use it. Tired of using Google maps for her. now she can do it herself.
2/24/2011 6:10pm
Good thread. I have been looking into getting one myself. Thanks for all the useful tips!
Racer92
2/24/2011 6:19pm
bigmaico wrote:
I just bought a Tom tom Xl 350 with life time updates, took less then 5 minutes to figure out & I had to make one...
I just bought a Tom tom Xl 350 with life time updates, took less then 5 minutes to figure out & I had to make one call to activate my life time downloads.

I got to try it out on a trip to San Antonio to see my Nephew at Lackland AFB, he as there for extended training.

I've been to San Antonio several times ,but not to that part of the city & the Tom tom got me where I needed to go on several different times.

I'm sold, now I just need to teach the wife how to use it. Tired of using Google maps for her. now she can do it herself.
Be honest Howard, she taught YOU how to use that thing. Wink
jmar
2/24/2011 6:38pm
flarider wrote:
MotionX for iPhone
To much of a drain on the battery.
jmar
2/24/2011 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2011 6:46pm
They are all good. Find the cheapest one that you can find, one that is small and easy to take with you where ever you go.

I keep a small Magellan in my brief case and take it with me when ever I travel.
Blake
2/25/2011 12:38pm
Blake wrote:

flarider wrote:
in many, many ways
Thats why they ban cell phones and texting. People need to drive. Seriously.how did people get by without it?

Post a reply to: Vehicle GPS units.

The Latest