T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
|
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
2/24/2020 10:58pm
I look at it as a way to get back at the company who took her daughter/husband. He was worth $800 mil or so and I’m pretty sure she isn’t doing this for the dollar amount. Knowing the Bryant family any money that may be collected would probably go to their foundation or charity. Who knows...but I can’t blame her after what she had gone through due to pilot error. The pilot should not have had that copter n the air with the dense fog.
2/24/2020 11:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2020 11:33pm
It's tough being a business owner. In the end it was the pilot error and the pilot's bad judgment, not the business owner's. The pilot was a veteran with several thousand hours of flight time, why would you ever question his ability to fly as a pilot?

I bet Kobe praised the pilot and helicopter company for many many years for getting him where he needs to be on time safely. The helicopter business was providing him a great service for all those years of flying back and forth.

But in the end all it takes is one mistake or one bad decision. This was a bad decision by the pilot, so now the owner has to pay. The owner always has to pay for employee mistakes.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
2/25/2020 12:47am
KennyT wrote:
I look at it as a way to get back at the company who took her daughter/husband. He was worth $800 mil or so and I’m...
I look at it as a way to get back at the company who took her daughter/husband. He was worth $800 mil or so and I’m pretty sure she isn’t doing this for the dollar amount. Knowing the Bryant family any money that may be collected would probably go to their foundation or charity. Who knows...but I can’t blame her after what she had gone through due to pilot error. The pilot should not have had that copter n the air with the dense fog.
Okay, so he was worth $800mil...now she is. What is she going to get out of suing the owner of the helicopter? It won’t bring Kobe or their daughter back. All it can possibly do is bankrupt the company. So she gets richer while others lose their jobs and careers.
CM_84
2/25/2020 1:03am
T-Fish wrote:
Okay, so he was worth $800mil...now she is. What is she going to get out of suing the owner of the helicopter? It won’t bring Kobe...
Okay, so he was worth $800mil...now she is. What is she going to get out of suing the owner of the helicopter? It won’t bring Kobe or their daughter back. All it can possibly do is bankrupt the company. So she gets richer while others lose their jobs and careers.
Surely you can see that it may be because she wants the company held responsible.

I don’t think it’s right, and I think the company has paid dearly, they have lost an employee too.

but surely you can understand that a widow may want the people that may have had a questionable safety policy held responsible for an accident that killed her daughter and husband.
I don’t think that’s right, but I can understand it.

The Shop

TXDirt
2/25/2020 1:12am
The owner isn’t going to pay a dime. He is probably not worth much anyways. It’s all going to be paid by insurance. I think she has every right to sue. And I hope she wins big.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
2/25/2020 1:37am
T-Fish wrote:
Okay, so he was worth $800mil...now she is. What is she going to get out of suing the owner of the helicopter? It won’t bring Kobe...
CM_84 wrote:
Surely you can see that it may be because she wants the company held responsible. I don’t think it’s right, and I think the company has...
Surely you can see that it may be because she wants the company held responsible.

I don’t think it’s right, and I think the company has paid dearly, they have lost an employee too.

but surely you can understand that a widow may want the people that may have had a questionable safety policy held responsible for an accident that killed her daughter and husband.
The company isn’t the one that flew into the hill. That would be the pilot, and he was held responsible in the worst way possible. She’s not suing the right person if she wants to sue the person responsible.

What happened to accidents being accidents without bullshit lawsuits being attached?

CM_84
2/25/2020 1:46am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2020 1:47am
T-Fish wrote:
CM_84 wrote:
Surely you can see that it may be because she wants the company held responsible. I don’t think it’s right, and I think the company has...

T-Fish wrote:
The company isn’t the one that flew into the hill. That would be the pilot, and he was held responsible in the worst way possible. She’s...
The company isn’t the one that flew into the hill. That would be the pilot, and he was held responsible in the worst way possible. She’s not suing the right person if she wants to sue the person responsible.

What happened to accidents being accidents without bullshit lawsuits being attached?

What if the company had a looser policy about flying in those conditions than all of their competitors?

I don’t know the specifics, but I dare say neither does anyone here

Given her wealth, I am sure it’s not about the money, but it’s about anger from a widow over the loss of a husband and daughter
I’m not saying you have to agree, I’m not even saying I agree (I mostly don’t) but surely it’s not hard to understand
2/25/2020 4:35am
She sues the company it sets the tone so if the other passenger families want to sue they would follow instead of suing Kobes estate.
reded
2/25/2020 5:19am
Truth be known, the pilot probably would have given up and returned to base had he not been urged on by his passengers. It would be his fault if that’s the case but at the same time do you wanna piss off one of your companies richest clients and face that wrath? He was in a tough situation all the way around.
APLMAN99
2/25/2020 5:36am
reded wrote:
Truth be known, the pilot probably would have given up and returned to base had he not been urged on by his passengers. It would be...
Truth be known, the pilot probably would have given up and returned to base had he not been urged on by his passengers. It would be his fault if that’s the case but at the same time do you wanna piss off one of your companies richest clients and face that wrath? He was in a tough situation all the way around.
Do you have evidence that he was urged on, or are you just making an assumption? I haven’t followed the story much and don’t know if that’s been shown.
APLMAN99
2/25/2020 5:44am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2020 1:21pm
T-Fish wrote:
CM_84 wrote:

T-Fish wrote:
The company isn’t the one that flew into the hill. That would be the pilot, and he was held responsible in the worst way possible. She’s...

So if you take your truck to a tire shop and the tech makes a mistake that ends up with your wife and daughter losing a wheel on the freeway, crashing, and both dying, you’d just shrug your shoulders and chalk it up as just a mistake?

You wouldn’t hold anyone accountable, or at worst only the tech and not the company he works for who may have had him rushing to the point of making the mistakes?

It’s easy to tell someone who has just lost their daughter how to feel, I guess.
JustMX
2/25/2020 6:52am
So, she ends up with a huge settlement.

All it is going to do is cause helo insurance rates to jump up which of course will push up the costs of all of our helicopter shuttle rides.

Might just have to nut up and finally buy my own.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/25/2020 8:40am
It could be that she knows something about the helicopter company and/or the condition of its aircraft or pilots that we do not. A wrongful death lawsuit is one way in which further deaths may be avoided. Let's not heap the blame on someone so quickly without knowing all the facts.
Clearly, she's not doing this to get rich.
Chance1216
2/25/2020 8:53am
Perhaps any monetary gains will go to the other families.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
2/25/2020 9:11am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2020 9:12am
Chance1216 wrote:
I’m pretty sure any monetary gains will not go into Vanessas bank account. She cannot possibly spend what his estate is worth in her lifetime. The Bryant’s lived large that is for sure, but he was also one of the most generous athletes/celebrities. This isn’t about money...it’s about the negligence of a employee taking the lives of innocent people. I don’t consider this a accident, I consider it as gross negligence.
If the CHP grounded their choppers then the pilot should have parked it when he had the chance. He’s the one responsible for assessing the situation and making the right decision. It was no accident.

I imagine all the families affected will be going after the company.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
2/25/2020 9:22am
APLMAN99 wrote:
So if you take your truck to a tire shop and the tech makes a mistake that ends up with your wife and daughter losing a...
So if you take your truck to a tire shop and the tech makes a mistake that ends up with your wife and daughter losing a wheel on the freeway, crashing, and both dying, you’d just shrug your shoulders and chalk it up as just a mistake?

You wouldn’t hold anyone accountable, or at worst only the tech and not the company he works for who may have had him rushing to the point of making the mistakes?

It’s easy to tell someone who has just lost their daughter how to feel, I guess.
Accidents happen and I’m not a piece of shit, so no, I wouldn’t sue anyone. Money isn’t going to change the outcome and wouldn’t make my life any better. Those responsible would have enough on their shoulders as it is. Your comparison is apples to oranges, as the person responsible for the crash is dead, while your comparison has the responsible party still alive.

GD2
Fantasy
1081st
2/25/2020 11:05am
I suggest you modify the wording of your original post, T-Fish.
CM_84
2/25/2020 11:23am
APLMAN99 wrote:
So if you take your truck to a tire shop and the tech makes a mistake that ends up with your wife and daughter losing a...

T-Fish wrote:
Accidents happen and I’m not a piece of shit, so no, I wouldn’t sue anyone. Money isn’t going to change the outcome and wouldn’t make my...
Accidents happen and I’m not a piece of shit, so no, I wouldn’t sue anyone. Money isn’t going to change the outcome and wouldn’t make my life any better. Those responsible would have enough on their shoulders as it is. Your comparison is apples to oranges, as the person responsible for the crash is dead, while your comparison has the responsible party still alive.

What if management routinely pressured pilots to fly in questionable conditions?
Would that change your mind?

I’m not saying that is the case, none of us know.
My point is I wouldn’t judge someone’s actions when we know so little.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
2/25/2020 11:48am
CM_84 wrote:
What if management routinely pressured pilots to fly in questionable conditions? Would that change your mind? I’m not saying that is the case, none of us...
What if management routinely pressured pilots to fly in questionable conditions?
Would that change your mind?

I’m not saying that is the case, none of us know.
My point is I wouldn’t judge someone’s actions when we know so little.
No, that wouldn’t change my mind. My career is driving semi. Before I worked for my current employer (and before e-logs were mandated), I was heavily, heavily encouraged and pressured to run illegal. Want me to run 80 hours? Nope, I’m done at 70. Want me to run on icy roads? Nope, the bulk tank is going to run over. If something happened and I was running illegal or where I shouldn’t be, I’m the one responsible in the end. Yeah, one can point fingers at my employer, but ultimately, I’d be the one that was responsible. I could hit and kill myself and 8 others easily, but that’s where I’m different than this pilot. I’m not willing to take that chance. About a month ago, a guy I work with hit and killed two people. Bad roads and played a large role in it. I was only a few miles away when it happened. There is a lot of pressure put on semi drivers, and possibly pilots, so I fully understand that.

Again, no, I wouldn’t be lawsuit happy at all. People are suffering already and I see no benefit in adding to the stress that’s already there.
TXDirt
2/25/2020 12:40pm
T-Fish wrote:
No, that wouldn’t change my mind. My career is driving semi. Before I worked for my current employer (and before e-logs were mandated), I was heavily...
No, that wouldn’t change my mind. My career is driving semi. Before I worked for my current employer (and before e-logs were mandated), I was heavily, heavily encouraged and pressured to run illegal. Want me to run 80 hours? Nope, I’m done at 70. Want me to run on icy roads? Nope, the bulk tank is going to run over. If something happened and I was running illegal or where I shouldn’t be, I’m the one responsible in the end. Yeah, one can point fingers at my employer, but ultimately, I’d be the one that was responsible. I could hit and kill myself and 8 others easily, but that’s where I’m different than this pilot. I’m not willing to take that chance. About a month ago, a guy I work with hit and killed two people. Bad roads and played a large role in it. I was only a few miles away when it happened. There is a lot of pressure put on semi drivers, and possibly pilots, so I fully understand that.

Again, no, I wouldn’t be lawsuit happy at all. People are suffering already and I see no benefit in adding to the stress that’s already there.
If you felt like your job was at stake if you didn’t run 80 hours, and then you run 80 hours and kill someone, you and the company you are driving for will both be sued into oblivion. In your example their could even be a criminal component beyond just a financial component.

A company is responsible for the actions of its employees. Not necessarily criminally responsible, but certainly financially responsible. We have seen that with oil spills, sub prime lending, and on and on and on.

This is why companies have insurance. Because when an employee fucks up, the company and it’s insurance companies are going to have to pay up.
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
2/25/2020 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2020 1:00pm
I gave you a chance to edit the original post on your own, T-Fish. Now I will edit it.

I was tempted to flush the entire thread, but if you would have just been more respectful with your original wording there was a conversation to be had here. I'm not sure why you chose to approach this topic with such a disrespectful and hostile tone. You can take issue with her filing the lawsuit and you can make a post about it, but you crossed a line when you started it off with an insult.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
2/25/2020 12:56pm
GD2 wrote:
I gave you a chance to edit the original post on your own, T-Fish. Now I will edit it. I was tempted to flush the entire...
I gave you a chance to edit the original post on your own, T-Fish. Now I will edit it.

I was tempted to flush the entire thread, but if you would have just been more respectful with your original wording there was a conversation to be had here. I'm not sure why you chose to approach this topic with such a disrespectful and hostile tone. You can take issue with her filing the lawsuit and you can make a post about it, but you crossed a line when you started it off with an insult.
I did edit it.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
2/25/2020 1:00pm
T-Fish wrote:
No, that wouldn’t change my mind. My career is driving semi. Before I worked for my current employer (and before e-logs were mandated), I was heavily...

TXDirt wrote:
If you felt like your job was at stake if you didn’t run 80 hours, and then you run 80 hours and kill someone, you and...
If you felt like your job was at stake if you didn’t run 80 hours, and then you run 80 hours and kill someone, you and the company you are driving for will both be sued into oblivion. In your example their could even be a criminal component beyond just a financial component.

A company is responsible for the actions of its employees. Not necessarily criminally responsible, but certainly financially responsible. We have seen that with oil spills, sub prime lending, and on and on and on.

This is why companies have insurance. Because when an employee fucks up, the company and it’s insurance companies are going to have to pay up.
I know this and I don’t agree with it. I’m sick of reading instance after instance of people blaming others for the actions of others. It’s ridiculous.

If a guy kills someone while drinking and driving here in Wisconsin, the bartender that over-served that person can be held accountable, and that’s bullshit.
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
2/25/2020 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2020 1:03pm
GD2 wrote:
I gave you a chance to edit the original post on your own, T-Fish. Now I will edit it. I was tempted to flush the entire...

T-Fish wrote:
I did edit it.
You may have been editing it on your end at the time and didn't see it, but I had already edited it before you re-edited it. The point I make in my comment still stands. Keep that in mind for the future.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/25/2020 1:22pm
Ahh...minty fresh. It's amazing what a few new urinal cakes will do.
Chance1216
2/25/2020 2:13pm
Chance1216 wrote:
KennyT wrote:
I’m pretty sure any monetary gains will not go into Vanessas bank account. She cannot possibly spend what his estate is worth in her lifetime. The...
I’m pretty sure any monetary gains will not go into Vanessas bank account. She cannot possibly spend what his estate is worth in her lifetime. The Bryant’s lived large that is for sure, but he was also one of the most generous athletes/celebrities. This isn’t about money...it’s about the negligence of a employee taking the lives of innocent people. I don’t consider this a accident, I consider it as gross negligence.
If the CHP grounded their choppers then the pilot should have parked it when he had the chance. He’s the one responsible for assessing the situation and making the right decision. It was no accident.

I imagine all the families affected will be going after the company.
True. One way or another I think the lawsuit will bring to light the need for new laws in regards to safety and protocols.
There’s two sides to the story and nobody really knows what lead to the decision making of the pilot. Perhaps
it was over confidence and underestimating weather conditions by the pilot. Maybe it was pressure from the company to proceed with the fight. Either way, if there’s more stringent guidelines and regulations set in place it may prevent future incidents.
Goon126
2/25/2020 4:52pm
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think she is suing because the company should not have allowed the pilot to fly under those conditions in that aircraft.

Post a reply to: Vanessa Bryant lawsuit

The Latest