VW Bus fans.......

APLMAN99
Edited Date/Time 5/15/2017 10:58am
Something in another thread made me think of this and thought that a few on here may appreciate it.

A 400hp bus with an actual modern interior and custom built suspension/chassis to actually use the power!

Tim Divers, who built the Ferrambo (Rambler wagon with a Ferrari 360 engine in the back) built this bus for the grandfather of one of my son's best friends. It's absolutely insane in person and the workmanship and attention to detail are incredible.

http://www.diversstreetrods.com/vw-bus--woodwick-photo-shoot.html

|
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
5/14/2017 10:30am
I would burn the wheels off that sweet van

The Shop

Jrewing
5/15/2017 2:23am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Something in another thread made me think of this and thought that a few on here may appreciate it. A 400hp bus with an actual modern...
Something in another thread made me think of this and thought that a few on here may appreciate it.

A 400hp bus with an actual modern interior and custom built suspension/chassis to actually use the power!

Tim Divers, who built the Ferrambo (Rambler wagon with a Ferrari 360 engine in the back) built this bus for the grandfather of one of my son's best friends. It's absolutely insane in person and the workmanship and attention to detail are incredible.

http://www.diversstreetrods.com/vw-bus--woodwick-photo-shoot.html

Woah. That's sick
Jrewing
5/15/2017 2:25am
Clean Kombi vans here in Sydney pull big dollars. 50-70k for the right van. Curious what they pull there? Split windows etc.
JRT812
5/15/2017 4:40am
Pretty cool and interesting.
three9zero
5/15/2017 6:56am
Cool ride, I wonder if you could fit a bike(or 2) in one of those?especially if it had the pop-up roof that has the bunk in it.
APLMAN99
5/15/2017 10:58am
three9zero wrote:
Cool ride, I wonder if you could fit a bike(or 2) in one of those?especially if it had the pop-up roof that has the bunk in...
Cool ride, I wonder if you could fit a bike(or 2) in one of those?especially if it had the pop-up roof that has the bunk in it.
I think the van originally had the camper roof on it, but it's a fixed roof now I'm pretty sure.

At one time the owner had 15-20 custom Harleys and he also said about a dozen of the 150cc Italian Harleys sitting on display in this private bar he owns downtown
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
5/15/2017 11:44am
That thing is badass! My family had a 1977 VW Bus that we restored and I used to drive it around in high school and college.
newmann
5/15/2017 12:00pm
Crazy $$$$$ for that level of a build. Not many people understand what it takes to build something like that.
APLMAN99
5/15/2017 3:11pm
newmann wrote:
Crazy $$$$$ for that level of a build. Not many people understand what it takes to build something like that.
What's really crazy is the way that they were able to get the interior to look so OEM quality with so much difference between the old VW and the WRX. In person and up close it'd be very difficult for the average person to believe that it didn't come off the assembly line looking like it does.

I think we've all seen some incredible body work and sheet metal manipulation over the years and some of it is probably the beneficiary of some body filler, sanding, and great paint skills. Making a dash and OEM console work in a completely different vehicle is a completely different animal and it's harder to "cover" things. The Ferrambo benefits from the soft coverings on the interior, but the VWRX doesn't have that advantage.

The owner of the VWRX and the 54 Chevy is an incredible guy. He's a self made multi-millionaire who started out driving a truck and eventually bought the transfer company that he worked for. He started hiring really smart people, treated them incredibly well, and now owns several multi-modal terminals all over the country. He jumped on the document imaging thing in it's early stages and made huge money with hospitals and clinics when that was the "next big thing". His big thing over the last couple of decades has been partnering with some local folks to get their businesses off the ground and he basically bankrolled some locals who started ambulance services, physical therapy practices, HVAC companies, mobile repair services, etc. I'm told that he didn't make a ton of money off those types of businesses, he just knew that the folks he seeded were incredibly hard working folks that he wanted to see succeed.

He and his wife donated over $3 million to help start our local public market including picking up any extra costs from the first several years of operation. Their philanthropy is huge, and a lot of it never gets actually told. Their generosity to my son alone has been amazing, and at a party at their house one time I had the pleasure of sitting down with the guy who takes care of the landscaping at his home and businesses. He said that the grandfather made it a point to remember the names of everyone on his crew and knew enough about them to ask about their spouses, kids, etc. He's truly a great guy and the fact that he gets to enjoy toys like this VWRX and his other vehicles is definitely appropriate!
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
5/16/2017 9:47am
The local Porsche shop put a 911 motor into a VW van. I asked him if he'd make another one, "Never" "That was the biggest pain in the ass I've ever been through" lol The one is this thread is a work of art Cool

Post a reply to: VW Bus fans.......

The Latest