Used to think "Gun Control" was the answer.

Mr. G
easydoesit
3/17/2018 11:12am
1996 Port Arthur, Australia
That was the last gun massacre in Australia. After that, gun laws were changed.
If not familiar with it, please read up on it.
m121c
3/17/2018 11:20am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 11:47am
And she only looked into the cases of gun related deaths. I would invite her to look into the cases of crime stopped/lives saved due to a firearm legally owned by a law abbiding citizen.

It’s estimated that almost 200,000 women annually use a firearm against domestic/sexual abuse. You won’t hear that though.

I understand her ideas on guns have not changed, it is after all her right to choose, but I do greatly respect her looking at the issue honestly and realizing the mountain of disingenuity behind what is the gun control movement.
Mr. G
3/17/2018 11:36am
No doubt
TDeath21
3/17/2018 1:34pm
easydoesit wrote:
1996 Port Arthur, Australia That was the last gun massacre in Australia. After that, gun laws were changed. If not familiar with it, please read up...
Australia is an island. It’s much easier to regulate firearms when you are an island.

The Shop

3/17/2018 2:11pm
You mean they won’t have drug cartels smuggling in weapons from an unprotected border between another country?
Mr. G
3/17/2018 2:18pm
I think the horse has left the barn already. How many guns in circulation in the US? Maybe a billion? 325 billion people X how many decades?
Mr. G
3/17/2018 2:18pm
Sorry, 325 million.
easydoesit
3/17/2018 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 2:21pm
easydoesit wrote:
1996 Port Arthur, Australia That was the last gun massacre in Australia. After that, gun laws were changed. If not familiar with it, please read up...
TDeath21 wrote:
Australia is an island. It’s much easier to regulate firearms when you are an island.
Saying it is easier implies that attempts have been made at regulations.

In life, excuses are abundant action is not.
3/17/2018 2:28pm
easydoesit wrote:
Our own Anercan government massacres people on the regular.

If you want to trust your government to be the only armed humans in your region, do so at your own risk.

But Im never giving up my guns until my government gives up it’s own firearms.
easydoesit
3/17/2018 2:48pm
easydoesit wrote:
Our own Anercan government massacres people on the regular. If you want to trust your government to be the only armed humans in your region, do...

If you want to trust your government to be the only armed humans in your region, do so at your own risk.

I get it man. I'm a gun owner.

But sensible gun laws need to be enacted.
There is no reason to have weapons designed for the military in civilian hands.
3/17/2018 2:57pm
easydoesit wrote:
I get it man. I'm a gun owner. But sensible gun laws need to be enacted. There is no reason to have weapons designed for the...

“Sensible” gun laws are a slippery slope. I dont trust our government to not abuse their authority on that.

And again, as long as the military has it, I want to be able to own it. Their track record of abuse is far worse than mine.

Any country in which the government has more freedoms than it’s citizens, is not a “free” country.
easydoesit
3/17/2018 3:04pm
easydoesit wrote:
I get it man. I'm a gun owner. But sensible gun laws need to be enacted. There is no reason to have weapons designed for the...

“Sensible” gun laws are a slippery slope. I dont trust our government to not abuse their authority on that. And again, as long as the military...
“Sensible” gun laws are a slippery slope. I dont trust our government to not abuse their authority on that.

And again, as long as the military has it, I want to be able to own it. Their track record of abuse is far worse than mine.

Any country in which the government has more freedoms than it’s citizens, is not a “free” country.
I do agree on the slippery slope analogy.

As far as you owning assault rifle type weapons...do you think you stand a fighting chance against the US military?
Protection against a government by the civilians arming themselves might have made sense 200 years ago, but not today.
TDeath21
3/17/2018 3:12pm
easydoesit wrote:

“Sensible” gun laws are a slippery slope. I dont trust our government to not abuse their authority on that. And again, as long as the military...

easydoesit wrote:
I do agree on the slippery slope analogy. As far as you owning assault rifle type weapons...do you think you stand a fighting chance against the...

As far as you owning assault rifle type weapons...do you think you stand a fighting chance against the US military?
Protection against a government by the civilians arming themselves might have made sense 200 years ago, but not today.
Well, yes actually. The reason you rule over a population is to control them and their resources. It’s not to kill them. Look what terrorist militia groups have been able to do against the US military in the last 15+ years. Despite mass superiority in every way, the US is still fighting against them and they still hold ground. Now imagine 300 million people and a MUCH larger area. Then think about that same civilian military also being conflicted on who to fight for. It would be nearly impossible for the US government to conquer its citizens through brute force.
3/17/2018 3:20pm

easydoesit wrote:
I do agree on the slippery slope analogy. As far as you owning assault rifle type weapons...do you think you stand a fighting chance against the...

TDeath21 wrote:
Well, yes actually. The reason you rule over a population is to control them and their resources. It’s not to kill them. Look what terrorist militia...
Well, yes actually. The reason you rule over a population is to control them and their resources. It’s not to kill them. Look what terrorist militia groups have been able to do against the US military in the last 15+ years. Despite mass superiority in every way, the US is still fighting against them and they still hold ground. Now imagine 300 million people and a MUCH larger area. Then think about that same civilian military also being conflicted on who to fight for. It would be nearly impossible for the US government to conquer its citizens through brute force.
Exactly.
easydoesit
3/17/2018 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 3:27pm

easydoesit wrote:

TDeath21 wrote:
Well, yes actually. The reason you rule over a population is to control them and their resources. It’s not to kill them. Look what terrorist militia...
Different scenarios.
- Those terrorist militias are supplied by underground operations. They have access to weapons like no US civilian does.
- The US is fighting in a foreign country totally different. Here it would be all domestic.

If a government turned on its people, it would not need to fight the whole population. Just the bigger threat. Everyone else will fall in line.

So what do we do about the current gun massacres? Nothing.
3/17/2018 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 3:27pm
easydoesit wrote:

Let’s say you’re right, and resistance is futile. If that is the case then you just made an argument as to exactly why the government needs to be disarmed. They’re weilding too much power.

Either way, Im not in favor of making the situation worse by further neutering the freedoms of civilians.

And as TD21 pointed out, foreign occupancys always fail over time. Despite lopsided technology advantages the opporessors may posses.
3/17/2018 3:34pm
The two most impactful things a citizen can do are have a baby and vote. Neither one of those actions have any qualifiers or restrictions. Not that they should or shouldn’t. My point is, we got way bigger fish to fry than guns in this country. Let’s agree to go after the lower hanging fruit that has a greater impact on society huh?

Americans + Cars + Alcohol = way more deaths ... why isn’t this front page news topics? Why, because “guns” move the needle. And because nobody wants to talk mental health: the root issue for alcohol or gun related trauma.
easydoesit
3/17/2018 3:40pm
easydoesit wrote:

Let’s say you’re right, and resistance is futile. If that is the case then you just made an argument as to exactly why the government needs...
Let’s say you’re right, and resistance is futile. If that is the case then you just made an argument as to exactly why the government needs to be disarmed. They’re weilding too much power.

Either way, Im not in favor of making the situation worse by further neutering the freedoms of civilians.

And as TD21 pointed out, foreign occupancys always fail over time. Despite lopsided technology advantages the opporessors may posses.
So the answer is legislate what?
Do nothing?

If we don't tackle the gun problem directly, we are beating around the bush.
3/17/2018 3:46pm
easydoesit wrote:
So the answer is legislate what?
Do nothing?

If we don't tackle the gun problem directly, we are beating around the bush.
That’s where we just have fundamentally different perspectives.

You see a “gun problem”. Whereas I see a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem.

You see, we don’t even agree on what the root issue is here. And that is a major hurddle to get past if we’re gonna be solution oriented.
nicko-31
3/17/2018 3:53pm
easydoesit wrote:

TDeath21 wrote:
easydoesit wrote:
Different scenarios. - Those terrorist militias are supplied by underground operations. They have access to weapons like no US civilian does. - The US is fighting...
Different scenarios.
- Those terrorist militias are supplied by underground operations. They have access to weapons like no US civilian does.
- The US is fighting in a foreign country totally different. Here it would be all domestic.

If a government turned on its people, it would not need to fight the whole population. Just the bigger threat. Everyone else will fall in line.

Consider how two of the world's greatest building were taken down and all the lives lost by group of men with "box cutters".
3/17/2018 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 4:01pm
easydoesit wrote:

And yet most other western countries permit ownership of those military style rifles without any problems....

This is one of the problems with the gun debate though - too many people are utterly convinced that low gun crime stats are directly synonymous with bans. If you know nothing (nor care) about firearms and this line is continually pushed into your face by the media, then you're going to believe it. In my country this leads to disappointment for a tiny, tiny, insignificant minority of sports shooters who can't own certain things on the mainland (primarily handguns) for their hobby. Whereas in America I think this misconception is much more dangerous because it only retards any sensible change or suggestions i.e one side digs in to avoid the clearly ideologically motivated actions from the other.

The real reason for low gun crime is the vetting.

But again, from an emotional/ideological pov it's very difficult for the majority non firearm owning general public to get their heads round this. The UK and Australia is particularly good example because each country has effectively banned the very opposite firearms to each other, only to then cite their own bans as the primary reason for their low gun crime stats.
easydoesit
3/17/2018 4:02pm
TDeath21 wrote:
easydoesit wrote:
Different scenarios. - Those terrorist militias are supplied by underground operations. They have access to weapons like no US civilian does. - The US is fighting...
Different scenarios.

nicko-31 wrote:
Consider how two of the world's greatest building were taken down and all the lives lost by group of men with "box cutters".
So why do people use alarms, lock their doors and secure their homes and business?
I mean if a thief REALLY wants your stuff, they WILL get it. No matter what you do.

The answer to the question above is: to make things slightly more difficult for the thief. That is all.
3/17/2018 4:03pm
And yet most other western countries permit ownership of those military style rifles without any problems.... This is one of the problems with the gun debate...
And yet most other western countries permit ownership of those military style rifles without any problems....

This is one of the problems with the gun debate though - too many people are utterly convinced that low gun crime stats are directly synonymous with bans. If you know nothing (nor care) about firearms and this line is continually pushed into your face by the media, then you're going to believe it. In my country this leads to disappointment for a tiny, tiny, insignificant minority of sports shooters who can't own certain things on the mainland (primarily handguns) for their hobby. Whereas in America I think this misconception is much more dangerous because it only retards any sensible change or suggestions i.e one side digs in to avoid the clearly ideologically motivated actions from the other.

But again, from an emotional/ideological pov it's very difficult for the majority non firearm owning general public to get their heads round this. The UK and Australia is particularly good example because each country has effectively banned the very opposite firearms to each other, only to then cite their own bans as the primary reason for their low gun crime stats.
The reason for the low gun crime rate in other countries has nothing to do with the vetting.

Healthier cultures equal less crime.
3/17/2018 4:05pm
The reason for the low gun crime rate in other countries has nothing to do with the vetting.

Healthier cultures equal less crime.
It's ridiculous to say it has NOTHING to do with vetting. Believe me we have our share of unstable crazies.
easydoesit
3/17/2018 4:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 4:12pm
easydoesit wrote:

And yet most other western countries permit ownership of those military style rifles without any problems.... This is one of the problems with the gun debate...

Which are the Western countries that allow military style firearms?
I'm not trying to be cute, serious question. I searched and could not find any info pertaining to this.
JustMX
3/17/2018 4:33pm
easydoesit wrote:
Which are the Western countries that allow military style firearms? I'm not trying to be cute, serious question. I searched and could not find any info...
I'm not trying to be cute, serious question. I searched and could not find any info pertaining to this.
Kind or wondering that myself.

Seems like I remember Switzerland citizens are armed to the teeth, which comes with required military service.

I can't recall another country that allows assault weapons
3/17/2018 4:42pm
easydoesit wrote:
Which are the Western countries that allow military style firearms? I'm not trying to be cute, serious question. I searched and could not find any info...
Most countries in Europe: Germany, Holland, France, Poland, Switzerland, Austria, Portugal, Czech Republic etc. The channel Islands, The Isle of Man, New Zealand and Canada. Even the UK allows military style box fed, slug firing semi-auto shotguns & rimfire, though nothing self loading in centrefire from a rifled barrel e.g .223 etc.
3/17/2018 4:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 4:51pm
easydoesit wrote:
Our own Anercan government massacres people on the regular. If you want to trust your government to be the only armed humans in your region, do...

FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
3/17/2018 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 5:12pm
Mr. G wrote:
I think the horse has left the barn already. How many guns in circulation in the US? Maybe a billion? 325 billion people X how many...
I think the horse has left the barn already. How many guns in circulation in the US? Maybe a billion? 325 billion people X how many decades?
Yes there are many. Smile

However,under the second amendment with BATF rulings due to the 2A you can also build your own firearms.
They cannot stop you from doing that legally here in USA.

As for the assault weapons ban people....
The only thing the government can do legally as far as assault weapons go is a manufacture ban and that would be easy for the industry to get around again.
They tried to do more back during the last ban in the mid 1990's(I worked in the industry at the time and remember it all very well)...all they can get away with is a manufacture ban.
They couldnt even bring them in under the NFA and classify them as a destruction device legally...
There's a couple reasons why and it has to do with the constitution.
Existing weapons in circulation have to be grandfathered in and the prices go up for more of a profit margin due to demand.
What happened last time was the industry grew in size due to the ban.
Pre ban stuff was jacked up in price and just about ever FFL dealer in the country grew and so did the number of manufactures.There was even more of a demand. It spawned pretty much the huge gun culture you see today...and that gun culture is what funds the NRA.

This is all you will get again as far as a AW ban would go here in the USA.
3/17/2018 4:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 5:19pm
easydoesit wrote:

Who do you think makes up the military in this country ? People that want to take over the world? Hardly buddy. It’s Made up of people that want to help the world.....and we do every single day. Through humanitarian aid, elimination of tyrants, foreign aid, medical aid.....clean water....healthcare. We provide it all. Hell we patch up enemies we shoot, guys blow themselves to hell and survive with IEDs and show up at a FOB and the American military treats their wounds. (Not possible you say? It is possible. It happens.). Americans on the left. Enemies on the right in the ward. Humane care given. But we are bunch of murderous raping mongles...right. Gtfo. And the private doesn’t stand a chance against the big bad military. The private citizen who decides to raise their right hand on their own free will Is what makes our military big and bad.

You think if I was directed by government to exterminate people in this country I would do it ? That’s not a lawful order. AND NO MILITARY PERSONNEL IS GONNA DESTROY THEIR OWN COUNTRY. OUR Military is made up of VOLUNTEERS.

That Makes your citizen against the military point mute. The military is made up of citizens. We ain’t gonna kill ourselves.

Post a reply to: Used to think "Gun Control" was the answer.

The Latest