Upside down American flags

KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
I went to look at a remodeling job yesterday in Leucadia, it’s a quaint little beach town in San Diego county. Not sure of the crime numbers there but trust me when I say you would not hesitate one second to walk your dog at any hour during the night. One of the most peaceful towns I’ve ever been in.

The homeowner I was with brought up his paranoid nextdoor neighbors who are flying an upside down American flag as they fear we are in for a civil war and il assuming they think Leucadia will be the front lines. I really have no idea.

What are your thoughts on their mindset to put up such a display? Are they making a quiet protest against America, military, Rep/Dems? I’ve read that it means someone is in distress but this makes no sense being that they live n a $3,000,000 home with a yellow lab in the yard that looks like a resort in Hawaii. I really have no idea and I’m not here to start a shit show. More of a curiosity as I’ve never seen it flown this way before.
|
SEEMEFIRST
9/29/2022 10:01am
Originally it was a military thing that meant the camp/base had been captured.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
9/29/2022 10:05am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
I thought that was a British thing , as you need to know what your looking at to know it’s upside down , the American flag is fairly obvious that it’s upside down

SEEMEFIRST
9/29/2022 10:22am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2022 10:25am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
I thought that was a British thing , as you need to know what your looking at to know it’s upside down , the American flag...
I thought that was a British thing , as you need to know what your looking at to know it’s upside down , the American flag is fairly obvious that it’s upside down

Agreed, but I guess during WWI and WWII, I guess not everyone knew much about the American flag.

Just like American soldiers, the enemy soldiers were simple farmers and such, then thrust into war.

I just had to look up the British flag.
I never noticed that the lines in the "X" were not centered.

I'm sure it has some significance.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
9/29/2022 10:29am
Quick google search shows people are flying flags upside down in protest of the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

Officially, per the US Flag Code, it is a sign of dire distress.

Learn something new everyday.

The Shop

scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
9/29/2022 10:29am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Agreed, but I guess during WWI and WWII, I guess not everyone knew much about the American flag. Just like American soldiers, the enemy soldiers were...
Agreed, but I guess during WWI and WWII, I guess not everyone knew much about the American flag.

Just like American soldiers, the enemy soldiers were simple farmers and such, then thrust into war.

I just had to look up the British flag.
I never noticed that the lines in the "X" were not centered.

I'm sure it has some significance.
I remember it from an old war movie , didn’t know myself even tho the Union Jack is on our flag as well
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
9/29/2022 10:35am
Several people around me have been flying their flags upside down since Biden won.
They're all jackasses so I guess it's fitting.
APLMAN99
9/29/2022 10:54am
We had a guy who flew different political flags like the "F Biden" stuff, various Trump flags, etc. for quite a while. Then he started flying his American flag upside down. Dozens of people, knowing that it is supposed to be a sign of distress, called the local police over the course of a month to report that he needed help. After the first couple the dispatchers just began telling callers that it was meaningless and just an attention thing........
Fantasy
4478th
9/29/2022 11:02am
Iowa Army Veteran Hangs U.S. Flag Upside Down to Protest Eminent Domain, Gets Arrested

"Homer Martz, a 63-year-old U.S. Army veteran from Iowa, was unhappy about the oil pipeline being built on his property by a private company which had been granted access to the land through eminent domain. Among Martz's concerns were the risk the pipeline presents to his water supply and the fact that the pipeline could have been placed — much less disruptively, a few hundred feet away from its current path — where it wouldn't disturb anyone's home or water supply.

So he decided to protest this public-private intrusion into his home by hanging a U.S. flag upside down.

Then the police arrived.

Martz told The Messenger that two members of the sheriff's department showed up at his door last week holding his flags and informed him that he was in violation of an Iowa state statute banning "flag desecration," a misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail. Defiantly, Martz walked past the officers and hung the flag upside down once more. He was promptly arrested."

Chapter 718A of Iowa state code makes it a crime to "publicly mutilate, deface, defile or defy, trample upon, cast contempt upon, satirize, deride or burlesque, either by words or act, such flag, standard, color, ensign, shield, or other insignia of the United States, or flag, ensign, great seal, or other insignia of this state…"

Though the statute was ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge in 2014, and though Iowa prosecutors had been admonished not to enforce it, this "dead law" remains on the books.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
9/29/2022 11:18am
APLMAN99 wrote:
We had a guy who flew different political flags like the "F Biden" stuff, various Trump flags, etc. for quite a while. Then he started flying...
We had a guy who flew different political flags like the "F Biden" stuff, various Trump flags, etc. for quite a while. Then he started flying his American flag upside down. Dozens of people, knowing that it is supposed to be a sign of distress, called the local police over the course of a month to report that he needed help. After the first couple the dispatchers just began telling callers that it was meaningless and just an attention thing........
That’s funny/not funny. So those guys were the F-Biden type and I’d say this couple is the exact opposite based on where they live. Now that someone brought up the Roe/Wade deal it may have something to do with that. Strange…I just find it odd they are playing the “in distress” symbol yet are as far from being distressed as can be. Maybe mentally distressed if they watch too much news and are becoming paranoid.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/29/2022 11:26am
Ya, it's pretty unnecessary. I was behind a huge lifted diesel truck the other day flying one upside down in the bed, I just assumed it was someone who "hated biden".
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/29/2022 11:53am
308 wrote:
[url=https://reason.com/2016/08/16/army-veteran-hangs-us-flag-upside-down/]Iowa Army Veteran Hangs U.S. Flag Upside Down to Protest Eminent Domain, Gets Arrested [/url] [i]"Homer Martz, a 63-year-old U.S. Army veteran from Iowa, was unhappy...
Iowa Army Veteran Hangs U.S. Flag Upside Down to Protest Eminent Domain, Gets Arrested

"Homer Martz, a 63-year-old U.S. Army veteran from Iowa, was unhappy about the oil pipeline being built on his property by a private company which had been granted access to the land through eminent domain. Among Martz's concerns were the risk the pipeline presents to his water supply and the fact that the pipeline could have been placed — much less disruptively, a few hundred feet away from its current path — where it wouldn't disturb anyone's home or water supply.

So he decided to protest this public-private intrusion into his home by hanging a U.S. flag upside down.

Then the police arrived.

Martz told The Messenger that two members of the sheriff's department showed up at his door last week holding his flags and informed him that he was in violation of an Iowa state statute banning "flag desecration," a misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail. Defiantly, Martz walked past the officers and hung the flag upside down once more. He was promptly arrested."

Chapter 718A of Iowa state code makes it a crime to "publicly mutilate, deface, defile or defy, trample upon, cast contempt upon, satirize, deride or burlesque, either by words or act, such flag, standard, color, ensign, shield, or other insignia of the United States, or flag, ensign, great seal, or other insignia of this state…"

Though the statute was ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge in 2014, and though Iowa prosecutors had been admonished not to enforce it, this "dead law" remains on the books.
Flying the flag upside down is not casting contempt upon it. It is a legitimate display, the same as flying it at half-mast.
The way I understand it, an upside-down flag is flown when the country or union is in danger, not so much when individuals under the flag are in danger.
Titan1
9/29/2022 12:06pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
We had a guy who flew different political flags like the "F Biden" stuff, various Trump flags, etc. for quite a while. Then he started flying...
That dude never read the "boy who cried wolf" apparently...what an idiot.
MudPup545
9/29/2022 12:11pm
From my time in the Navy, I was told that if a ship flew the flag upside down it was a sign of distress and they needed immediate help.
swordfish
9/29/2022 12:30pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Nothing but Ukrainian flags flying in my hood. Asked one of my neighbors why he wasn’t flying the Canadian flag as well.
He just shrugged. Couple days later no Ukrainian flag flying, was replaced by the old maple leaf🤷‍♂️
JM485
9/29/2022 12:52pm
It’s almost comedic in a way how the crazy fringe right and the crazy fringe left are actually starting to converge on either other. Both of them are so sure that the union is damaged beyond repair, that it must be completely abolished in favor of a new form of authoritarian government that espouses only their beliefs. Traditions and accepted practices be damned, the ends justify the means.

It’s both fascinating and frightening to watch.
Titan1
9/29/2022 12:59pm
JM485 wrote:
It’s almost comedic in a way how the crazy fringe right and the crazy fringe left are actually starting to converge on either other. Both of...
It’s almost comedic in a way how the crazy fringe right and the crazy fringe left are actually starting to converge on either other. Both of them are so sure that the union is damaged beyond repair, that it must be completely abolished in favor of a new form of authoritarian government that espouses only their beliefs. Traditions and accepted practices be damned, the ends justify the means.

So what I'm hearing you say, is that the fringe left and fringe right will unite over their unified fear that the union is failing...Is the division that will cause the union to fall, ironically, going to be the thing that also unites the country, thus saving the union?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/29/2022 1:30pm
JM485 wrote:
It’s almost comedic in a way how the crazy fringe right and the crazy fringe left are actually starting to converge on either other. Both of...

Titan1 wrote:
So what I'm hearing you say, is that the fringe left and fringe right will unite over their unified fear that the union is failing...Is the...
So what I'm hearing you say, is that the fringe left and fringe right will unite over their unified fear that the union is failing...Is the division that will cause the union to fall, ironically, going to be the thing that also unites the country, thus saving the union?
Stop; you're getting into the Twilight Zone!!! WoohooGrinning
JMMTB69
9/29/2022 2:30pm
Worse is the thin blue line flag which desiccates the American Flag....
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
9/29/2022 4:19pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2022 4:20pm
JMMTB69 wrote:
Actually you are 100% incorrect on that statement. I have never seen nor heard of anymore desecrating an American flag by painting a blue line on one. It symbolizes your support for police and I have them on all of our vehicles. They are stickers printed in that color for law enforcement support, it is not an American flag that has been altered. I sport them on all of our cars for two reasons.

1. To support police
2. To piss off those who hate the police
JM485
9/29/2022 6:31pm
JM485 wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
So what I'm hearing you say, is that the fringe left and fringe right will unite over their unified fear that the union is failing...Is the...
No but that’s a very interesting paradox Laughing

What I was implying was that although you’ll never get their causes to align, the outcome they seek is starting to. Tear it all down, and build it back up how they see fit, everyone else be damned and silence anyone who disagrees. And keep in mind I’m talking about the Antifa and Proud Boys types, not your typical left and right leaner.
Jeremy A.K.
9/30/2022 4:16am
I see a ton of the don't tread on me signs in NY. The other day while taking my daughter for a walk I saw a black American flag outside a house . After looking up the meaning if basically says that captured prisoners will be killed and not detained ,what a stupid flag to fly outside your house.
TeamGreen
9/30/2022 4:05pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Quick google search shows people are flying flags upside down in protest of the overturning of Roe v. Wade. Officially, per the US Flag Code, it...
Quick google search shows people are flying flags upside down in protest of the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

Officially, per the US Flag Code, it is a sign of dire distress.

Learn something new everyday.
The National Flag…

Flown Upside-Down; because, weak minded fucks are distressed over the SCOTUS rejection of Roe v. Wade?

Bwaaahaaahaaaaahaaaaaaa

That’s hilarious.

Just goes to show how weak minded they really are. Grinning
Muttly
10/20/2022 6:38am
If you read the “flag code”, it also states that the proper disposal of a desecrated flag is, BURNING.
10/20/2022 7:49am
JMMTB69 wrote:
So, you’re saying they removed all of the moisture from it until it became completely dry? I don’t see how that’s a bad thing.
IanMac138
10/20/2022 6:10pm
Fly the flag upside down, right side up...who cares. Freedom of speech. Put a bumper sticker on your truck to let everyone know THAT YOU love America, put a blue lives matter sticker on your truck to let everyone know YOU LOVE supporting police. All good!

I just wish it wasn't so comical and immature to see the giant flags of "LETS GO BRANDON" or "TRUMP WON 2024!" or on the flip side "DARK BRANDON RISING" on the back of small dick lifted trucks. Like dudes, chill the F out. If push came to shove and Russia, China, North Korea or Iran started lobbing shit at us, we wouldn't look at our fellow American and bitch about who we voted for, or what past Presidents did that led to some psychotic nation starting a war with us.

We'd collectively band together as Americans because we all agree on most issues, want the same things for our lives and our families. Right now America is eating itslef alive because we're bored, and we don't have a common enemy to fight, except one another. That's what all these batshit crazy countries want to see...Americans picking a team like it's some game. Throw on top of that the cyber-disinformation game countries like Russia and China are infiltrating us with the past 8 years and yet most Americans STILL cannot see through it, just makes their objective easier. Fly your flag, put a bumper sticker on your car if it makes you feel better and to make a point against your fellow citizens, but just remember there is a much deeper and sinister game that's been going on and our enemies are rejoicing.
Jeremy A.K.
10/20/2022 6:35pm
Muttly wrote:
If you read the “flag code”, it also states that the proper disposal of a desecrated flag is, BURNING.
There's an actual ceremony that goes along with it ,its not the same as some dip shit in a pink pussy hat on street corner doing it.
Muttly
10/20/2022 6:38pm
Muttly wrote:
There's an actual ceremony that goes along with it ,its not the same as some dip shit in a pink pussy hat on street corner doing...
There's an actual ceremony that goes along with it ,its not the same as some dip shit in a pink pussy hat on street corner doing it.
I’m aware, I refrained from saying that I wished the dirty mongrel had wrapped himself in it first! 🤠
10/21/2022 12:42am
It’s so over used at this point it’s really just a selfish display of performance art.

If you really feel that we are in grave danger, do something more than a just symbolic gesture.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/21/2022 12:01pm
JMMTB69 wrote:
So, you’re saying they removed all of the moisture from it until it became completely dry? I don’t see how that’s a bad thing.
Dessicate vs. dissect; the next "Grammar with Falcon" subject!
10/21/2022 12:09pm
Falcon wrote:
Dessicate vs. dissect; the next "Grammar with Falcon" subject!
Falc,

I’m assuming he meant desecrated? Or, perhaps he is overly concerned about a wet flag. 😉

Post a reply to: Upside down American flags

The Latest