Unbiased News Sources?

JM485
Edited Date/Time 2/22/2019 4:27pm
I know this is somewhat of an oxymoron at this point but I'm curious, anyone have any suggested news sources that aren't biased? I like keeping relatively informed and discussing politics, but I hate obviously biased reporting and news stories, it's driving me nuts not being able to get realistic info or even realize if I'm being misled or outright lied to. Figured I would see if anyone has any good sources for info, I don't care what side of the fence you lie on I just want reliable info so I can form my own opinions on events as they happen.
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
2/9/2019 9:27pm
NPR is kinda unbiased. Problem is even if the company is unbiased, the reporters are. Impossible not to be. Best to get news from multiple places, even those that go against your views.
2/9/2019 9:45pm
der spiegel is my go to news source but none of them are unbiased. NPR is what I listen to in the mornings, but they are left leaning and not nearly as centered as some claim but they do seem to take care to give factual evidence information.
borg
2/10/2019 5:43am
When it comes to national politics, most of what is reported on or talked about is gossip. There is actually very little going on where the facts are important enough to search out. When it comes to the details of complicated legislation, you are better off getting it from the lower level beat reporters from print journalism. They are not paid to look cute on TV or make ridiculous accusations. It can be more difficult to discern the impact though. That's where you pretty much have to rely on people who spend their time boiling this stuff down to make it understandable. It's impossible to get this without bias so you have to search out a few sources who seem to be the most level headed about it and will also tend to criticize without deference to political parties.
I tend to go to think tanks for a less emotional analysis rather than the opinion section.
For economics the Peterson Foundation or Brookings are fairly independant. For a more right wing view Heritige. Left wing; Center for American Progress. Libertarian; Cato.
Health care: The Kaiser Family Foundation is a great resource.

Here is a list of some think tanks: Think tanks

Those are my suggestions if you are seeking information. For misinformation just watch cable news.

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
2/10/2019 6:06am
If there isn’t any news, they will make news. The Russia probe is a perfect example. Some psycho beats a drum in the face of a student and that’s all we see....what happened to collusion? Oh...we will bring that back when the mad Indian fades away. Try not to dig too deep, its just poison for the mind.

If your area is anything like mine the only place to find unbiased news is our local CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX evening news. The will give you the tip of the national headlines and then move on. How people can lock into CNN, MSNBC, FOX etc is beyond me. Those people are not learning anything except how to be brainwashed

The Shop

motogrady
2/10/2019 6:07am
colintrax wrote:
NPR is kinda unbiased. Problem is even if the company is unbiased, the reporters are. Impossible not to be. Best to get news from multiple places...
NPR is kinda unbiased. Problem is even if the company is unbiased, the reporters are. Impossible not to be. Best to get news from multiple places, even those that go against your views.
Agreed, different places, take none as gospel, try and look past the agendas, then form your opinion.

I see the majority of the news outlets slanted to the left.

I've got it down to 2 places.

FoxNews.com for the right.
MSN.com for the left.

Hit those 2 every morning, eh, one should be able to figure it out.

For bikes.....vital for dirt, cycleworld.com for street.
XXVoid MainXX
2/10/2019 6:34am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2019 6:51am
I used to be like you and care, but things have turned into an absolute circus so I finally gave up. A couple of years ago I have made a conscious decision to tune out of ALL news, not just politics. I haven't watched TV or read any news sites since then. It's almost like I've locked myself in a cabin in the woods without actually going to a cabin in the woods. Smile I figure I only have so many years left, I don't want to spend them being uptight over shit I really have no control over. Going to the voting booth has been a waste of time the last few elections so I've decided I'm don'e doing that as well. I guess now I can commit felonies without worry of losing my voting rights. Smile
TXDirt
2/10/2019 6:49am
I’ll read some AP and Reuters news articles. I do not watch any news on TV. It’s nothing but personalities giving opinions. So I stay very far away from CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc etc.
Sierra Ranger
2/10/2019 11:53am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2019 11:55am
One of the news sites doing real journalism, outside the utter madness of the current coverage is The Intercept

https://theintercept.com/

It was started by Glen Greenwald, who exposed the Ed Snowden thing. It's one of the few sites that will go after both parties equally.
Here is a really good one (although terrifying) of the surveillance state Bezos is building with the help of the government and US military: That's why Amazon is moving its headquarter to Pentagon City. Won't be long now until Amazon is a quasi-governmental security agency. https://theintercept.com/2019/02/08/jeff-bezos-protests-the-invasion-of…
2/10/2019 3:43pm
colintrax wrote:
NPR is kinda unbiased. Problem is even if the company is unbiased, the reporters are. Impossible not to be. Best to get news from multiple places...
I really like MintPress these days.

Twitter is a good place to find independent journalists that dont have some agenda.

I think the MSM outlets like Fox & CNN are just two sides of the same coin. They're both lying so to take the two and try to decipher the truth out of what they're shilling out would be futile.

Brad460
Fantasy
780th
2/10/2019 3:53pm
“Journalists” (and I use that term loosely) are lazy these days..not much true journalism left. They write a story on random Twitter users response to a fake news headline...Twitter is filled with some of the worst of society providing emotional responses to these fake articles...Then those responses actually become the news. It’s disgusting...

I did hear some news organizations are banning their employees from using Twitter to create their news...
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
2/10/2019 4:10pm
Brad460 wrote:
“Journalists” (and I use that term loosely) are lazy these days..not much true journalism left. They write a story on random Twitter users response to a...
“Journalists” (and I use that term loosely) are lazy these days..not much true journalism left. They write a story on random Twitter users response to a fake news headline...Twitter is filled with some of the worst of society providing emotional responses to these fake articles...Then those responses actually become the news. It’s disgusting...

I did hear some news organizations are banning their employees from using Twitter to create their news...
agreed, with the advertising dollar dropping for newspapers, so did the budget for decent journalism, and research,

added the 24 hour news cycle and people wanting to hear a soundbite not the whole story, i don't see it getting better anytime soon,

it seems the internet provides us with the info we want to confirm our positions we have already formed, trying to find objective sources is getting harder,
Premix
2/10/2019 5:34pm
Put the time and effort you spend trying to sift through all the BS and put it into your career, hobby, family, and investments and you will be far happier and well off than you would ever trying to stay informed on the political or national news scale.
APLMAN99
2/10/2019 5:43pm
Usually the source that we find the most unbiased are the ones that make it easy for us to use for confirmation of our preconceived notions....

We fall in love with the ones that don’t create cognitive dissonance with our already established beliefs.
JM485
2/10/2019 7:09pm
Premix wrote:
Put the time and effort you spend trying to sift through all the BS and put it into your career, hobby, family, and investments and you...
Put the time and effort you spend trying to sift through all the BS and put it into your career, hobby, family, and investments and you will be far happier and well off than you would ever trying to stay informed on the political or national news scale.
I already do, but it's a good idea to at least stay informed of what's going on and how it might effect you. The decisions of our lawmakers can effect my investments, I already spend way too much time and money on riding, and discussing politics is something I enjoy doing. It's just interesting to me and I like seeing where other people come from and what their views are, think of it almost as a small hobby. Does any of it keep me up at night? No, not at all and I'll never let it get to that point, I just want to keep myself informed so I'm not just steering a rudderless ship and I can at least have an informed conversation with someone.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll have a look and see what I like the best.

APLMAN, I'm well aware of that, hence why I'm trying to find as unbiased of sources as possible. I know the tactics and I've fallen victim to that very thing before, but I realized I became much more knowledgeable and informed when I looked at things objectively and would like to continue down that path.
Premix
2/10/2019 7:23pm
JM485 wrote:
I already do, but it's a good idea to at least stay informed of what's going on and how it might effect you. The decisions of...
I already do, but it's a good idea to at least stay informed of what's going on and how it might effect you. The decisions of our lawmakers can effect my investments, I already spend way too much time and money on riding, and discussing politics is something I enjoy doing. It's just interesting to me and I like seeing where other people come from and what their views are, think of it almost as a small hobby. Does any of it keep me up at night? No, not at all and I'll never let it get to that point, I just want to keep myself informed so I'm not just steering a rudderless ship and I can at least have an informed conversation with someone.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll have a look and see what I like the best.

APLMAN, I'm well aware of that, hence why I'm trying to find as unbiased of sources as possible. I know the tactics and I've fallen victim to that very thing before, but I realized I became much more knowledgeable and informed when I looked at things objectively and would like to continue down that path.
I get that. I burned out on anything nationally political 5-6 years ago. I’ll still keep tabs on anything local but on a national level, there’s nothing you or I can do to influence that, if they want something done bad enough, they’ll find a way to do it.
71Fish
2/10/2019 9:22pm
Sheppard Smith on FOX. Yes I said FOX, but only Sheppard Smith for news. Their other shows are news opinion shows.
2/11/2019 2:07am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Usually the source that we find the most unbiased are the ones that make it easy for us to use for confirmation of our preconceived notions...
Usually the source that we find the most unbiased are the ones that make it easy for us to use for confirmation of our preconceived notions....

We fall in love with the ones that don’t create cognitive dissonance with our already established beliefs.
Yep. Usually.
APLMAN99
2/11/2019 5:31am
71Fish wrote:
Sheppard Smith on FOX. Yes I said FOX, but only Sheppard Smith for news. Their other shows are news opinion shows.
Smith seems pretty good. He's on the "news" side, unlike Hannity who is on the entertainment/opinion side.

I'd definitely be wary of getting any information from a guy who says "germs aren't a thing" because he can't see them, though....

https://www.newsweek.com/pete-hegseth-hand-washing-hygiene-fox-news-ger…
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
2/11/2019 5:57am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 5:57am
KennyT wrote:
If there isn’t any news, they will make news. The Russia probe is a perfect example. Some psycho beats a drum in the face of a...
If there isn’t any news, they will make news. The Russia probe is a perfect example. Some psycho beats a drum in the face of a student and that’s all we see....what happened to collusion? Oh...we will bring that back when the mad Indian fades away. Try not to dig too deep, its just poison for the mind.

If your area is anything like mine the only place to find unbiased news is our local CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX evening news. The will give you the tip of the national headlines and then move on. How people can lock into CNN, MSNBC, FOX etc is beyond me. Those people are not learning anything except how to be brainwashed
“Local” news isn’t a small town business for the majority of Americans anymore. Check out this video Sinclair Broadcasting did before the 2016 elections. Sinclair has almost 50% of the local news stations in America and they are trying to acquire more.

https://youtu.be/Bq96zAC9ZJs
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
2/11/2019 8:52am
I have not ever really except 9/11 turned on the news. The is no way they are going to convince me to be angry and poor like they do the rest of the sheep. Life is cake if someone else doesn't convince you it's not.
I caught it by accident a few times and they know most people lack common sense and just fall in line.
I always think of the dead baby dolphin that died of natural causes and was floating dead offshore for awhile and that is what the local news reported and showed live. My dad had it on and it was interesting because I did dolphin tours at the time. A group of people picked it up and took some selfies and the next day every local news stations story was gone and CNN headlines are baby dolphin dies from people taking selfies with it. No trace of original true story. Make it up if it's not interesting enough I guess.
BMSOBx2
2/12/2019 8:34am
BBC News is not bad. Since they don't have any skin in the game , so to speak, as do the fox CNN MSNBC news of the world you tend to get more reporting and less bias.
FiendzCC
2/12/2019 10:54am
I think it's unavoidable. I can pretty much find bias in any news outlet or journalist. If it comes from a human, there's gotta be at least some bias (and no, I'm not advocating for AI determining what is credible news or not haha). If it isn't obvious through who their advertisers are or who owns them, I look for what topics they won't touch or talk about. That's usually a pretty good indicator of an agenda in there somewhere. Some are worse than others, but even sources I go to that I personally consider "trustworthy" I'll be the first to admit have a bias. Like you, I don't feel it's all a waste of time. I like to read up on and discuss this stuff too. If you're ever looking for someone to have a civil political discussion with, feel free to contact me outside of Vital anytime.
KDXGarage
2/12/2019 2:42pm
Look on youtube for some news. (not all your news)

Some people will "broadcast" a live feed at events. It is one of the few times when everyone having a cell phone with a camera works out. :-)

Beyond that, keep looking around. There is a lot of commentary on 24 hours new channel. A plane crash, weather event, natural disaster, etc. can not happen every few hours, so they have to fill it with something.

Nighttrain
2/12/2019 7:12pm
C-Span, live streaming or on-demand streaming of Senate and House proceedings is the only way to get unbiased information.

I’ve grown to avoid national politics because they all seem like low rank salespeople who are trying to peddle their lies to an audience of low intelligence.
jeffro503
2/13/2019 8:41am
As far as some of the USA national news / weird shit that goes on , I like listening to Tim Pool. He's usually a dead center journalist that calls out both sides when they do weird shit. He's worked for big news organization's before in the past. I urge you guy's to watch this video real quick. It's not so much news , but about how the news actually works the way they do , and why it's been steadily changing. Money.

Post a reply to: Unbiased News Sources?

The Latest