Tuner for Diesel truck.......

Related:
Create New Tag

9/22/2017 9:35 AM

I have an 05 Ford F-350 with the 6.0 Diesel. Purchased it in the spring with 127,000 miles on it. The heads have been done, it has a 4" exhaust and is a really nice former grandpa's truck. The rest is stock.

We use is for primarily pulling trailers, 21 ft boat, enclosed motorcycle trailer, and my wife's passion a large horse trailer with living quarters (about 10k lbs).

Pulling my boat, admittedly pretty fast 75-80, I get about 10 mpg, the horse trailer is pulled a bit more slowly and gets about 11.

I have always heard that we should be getting about 14 or so pulling, and 16-18 empty. Not even close.

So the question, I'm looking at tuners. Right now I'm looking at the SCT X4. I want to increase my economy, not worried about boiling the tires off of it, and not interested in "rolling coal". Want great reliability and driveability, and better economy. Hell my 38 ft Diesel pusher gets 8.5, and it weighs 22,000 lbs empty.

Ideas? Thoughts? Let me know what you have.

|

9/22/2017 9:53 AM

i know gas and diesel are completely different, so take what i say with a grain of salt. as an Ecoboost owner, i have used an SCT tuner and loved it. i was able to change the settings for performance and economy. that said, all i ever gained is maybe 2-3 mpg on the economy mode. it was so bogged down however, that i hated using it unless i was driving to St.George non-stop. the performance tune gave me around the same mileage but i could light the tires up through 3rd gear. i ended up getting rid of the tuner and going back to stock.

my dad has always used Edge tuners on his diesels and always had great luck with them, plus they're local so that's a bonus. my suggestion would be to head over to Wyld Diesel on 21st and 1900W and talk to them, get some advice/thoughts. my dad takes his there whenever he has an issue or question and they always treat him well.

like you said, not everyone wants to roll coal or burn the tires off.

|

9/22/2017 9:59 AM

My buddy has an 05 Cummins, he uses the bullydog , some kind of work to the exhaust(bigger diameter). He pulls a 4 place snowmobile trailer in the winter and had a 5th wheel camper . He is running a manual transmision and had to upgrade the clutch . His daily driving mpg was around 20 ,towing he was mid to upper teens. Be has it set at the most aggressive setting ,i think its around 550 horse /900 foot pounds.

|

9/22/2017 10:04 AM

Thanks Peely, I actually know the guys who started Edge (you probably do too) and will check into them. If I could gain 2-3, that would be great while towing.

The truck and horse trailer, along with 2 horses are headed to Oklahoma in a few weeks and when I do the math a couple of mpg's would pay for the tuner in one trip! Now, if it's all snake oil and bullshit..........well I just flushed 4 bills down the shitter.

Good to know you had positive results, and those guys at Wild Diesel seem to have a good reputation.

|

9/22/2017 10:04 AM

Here's a video of him pulling with it at the local fair.
|

9/22/2017 10:13 AM

Yeah, those Cummins have some serious power. My stepdaughter had an 04 Dodge that was straight piped and had some kind of tune in it (she bought it used, and didn't know much about it). She, like ALL Dodge diesel owners was running her mouth about getting in the 20's out of it. I called bullshit, until I used it to run down south to pick up some things in it. I'll be damned, I got 24 mpg and wasn't even trying.

Diesels have to pass emissions here, now. So, I think at least here locally those numbers are going to go away.

Mr. X, has your buddy blown out any drivelines with that thing?

|

9/22/2017 10:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2017 6:18 PM

500guy is " the" Ford diesel man. Talk to him.

|

9/22/2017 10:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2017 11:00 AM

Hope that thing has head studs, and a bullet proof egr and oil cooler if you want it to live

|

9/22/2017 11:05 AM

Utrider wrote:

Yeah, those Cummins have some serious power. My stepdaughter had an 04 Dodge that was straight piped and had some kind of tune in it (she bought it used, and didn't know much about it). She, like ALL Dodge diesel owners was running her mouth about getting in the 20's out of it. I called bullshit, until I used it to run down south to pick up some things in it. I'll be damned, I got 24 mpg and wasn't even trying.

Diesels have to pass emissions here, now. So, I think at least here locally those numbers are going to go away.

Mr. X, has your buddy blown out any drivelines with that thing?

Never any unplanned repairs , he has gone through a couple of front axle u joints ,he says they just wear out and get sloppy.

|

9/22/2017 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2017 11:20 AM

For a 6.0 powerstroke look into a company called innovative diesel. They do awesome tunes for then. The sell an sct x4 with their custom tunes on it for around 450. By far the best tunes you will get out of a 6.0.

I personally have a bully dog with their custom tunes loaded on it and am very
happy with it.

As far as mileage. In my 04 6.0. I get about 18 unloaded and pulling our camp trailer at 70 I get about 12 to 14. But we also live in the Rockies which doesn't help. Truck has 5 inch exhaust and a intake on it.

|

9/22/2017 11:18 AM

icrashalot wrote:

Hope that thing has head studs, and a bullet proof egr and oil cooler if you want it to live

i second that! Keep an eye on that motor.

I just helped my mother in law get rid of her 05 F350 dually. It was used strictly for horse hauling and she threw probably $12k at that thing in the 4 or 5 years she owned it. New turbo, 2 cracked heads, replaced the engine head studs, all sorts of crap.

I helped her get into a 2017 RAM 2500 Cummins and its been smooth sailing ever since. Obviously a new truck vs a 12 year old one is no comparison. I've never been a "diesel guy" so I was pretty green while trying to help her and did lots of internet searching regarding that PowerStroke. But trying to sell that 05 Ford on the used market was much harder than expected and told me all i needed to know about the reputation for those 6.0L motors.

Hopefully your experience with it is better!

|

9/22/2017 11:35 AM

Bulletproofed 6.0's are a good engine. Most people who I know with the 6.0 have used the SCT

|

9/22/2017 2:37 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I was hoping somebody on here would have some experience with this stuff.

Maybe 500guy will chime in with some insights. I do recall him being a diesel mechanic, but couldn't remember if it was heavy or over the road type stuff.

|

9/22/2017 2:54 PM

Utrider wrote:

Thanks for the input guys, I was hoping somebody on here would have some experience with this stuff.

Maybe 500guy will chime in with some insights. I do recall him being a diesel mechanic, but couldn't remember if it was heavy or over the road type stuff.

The 6.0L was not built to hold up under stock conditions, I don't recommend a tuner because of that.

That said an edge or Superchip really makes them fun to drive. not sure on mileage I always cringe when mileage is the only motivation you will be most likely disappointed.

|

9/22/2017 3:06 PM

500guy wrote:

The 6.0L was not built to hold up under stock conditions, I don't recommend a tuner because of that.

That said an edge or Superchip really makes them fun to drive. not sure on mileage I always cringe when mileage is the only motivation you will be most likely disappointed.

Ah, thanks. The heads have been done, I will check to see if it's been studded or not. Not sure about the EGR, what would the symptoms of that having a problem be?

Thanks for responding, I am going to have the coolant flushed (even though it was replaced 15k ago) just to be certain.

|

9/22/2017 3:29 PM

Utrider wrote:

Ah, thanks. The heads have been done, I will check to see if it's been studded or not. Not sure about the EGR, what would the symptoms of that having a problem be?

Thanks for responding, I am going to have the coolant flushed (even though it was replaced 15k ago) just to be certain.

Make sure you only use the ford gold coolant and yes flush it often maybe even look into a coolant filter.

Head studs or not the engine is weak. EGR if it acts up you will have many different symptoms I doubt it's an issue at this point.

|

9/23/2017 10:01 PM

I use edge products in all my cummins trucks. They work great just make sure everyone else is ready to handle the power/torque. I have a brand new cummins but I don't drive it. My old one is just too much fun to drive. It still runs as strong as the day we built it in 2002. It's about 100rwhp per cylinder smile It used to be considered a "fast" truck at a 12.9sec quarter mile but not anymore....there are so many other big power trucks out there. Mine gets 18mpg because it's got 4.10s and it revs on the Fwy..

Photo

|

9/24/2017 3:34 AM

Utrider wrote:

500guy wrote:

Utrider wrote:

I have learned absolute tons about my 6.0 on powerstroke forums. Take a look at those. There is some very knowledgeable people and info on how to make a 6.0 run great and be reliable.

As far as coolant. Definitely get a coolant filter. Veeeeery cheap insurance policy for the oil cooler. Google image search it also. You will be absolutely amazed with how much crud gets caught with the filter that would have gone through the oil cooler and engine. I had a oil cooler in mine go out. So I had the cooler replaced and coolant flushed then put on the coolant filter. Changed after 1000 miles like suggested for the first one. Was amazed at how much was caught up in it.

|