Travis Pastrana's Record Run at 2021 Mt. Washington Hillclimb

Related:
Create New Tag

8/22/2021 4:26 PM

Was going to post in moto-related, but some people would get their panties in a bunch because he's not on a bike. grin

Subaru Motorsports USA driver, Travis Pastrana, set a new record of 5 minutes 28.67 seconds at the 2021 Mt. Washington Hillclimb on the way to an overall event victory at the wheel of the Airslayer STI, his 862-horsepower Gymkhana 2020 Subaru WRX STI.

The new mark cut more than sixteen seconds from his winning time from the 2017 running of the event up the narrow, steep and treacherous 7.6-mile Mt. Washington Auto Road. Pastrana blitzed the mountain to set a time that was over 45 seconds ahead of the second-fastest competitor.

The Mt. Washington Hillclimb, traditionally held every three years, is one of the most challenging motorsport events in the United States and the oldest hillclimb in North America. In addition to its long history, the tallest mountain on the East Coast brings famously unpredictable weather and a mixed-surface road, forcing drivers to contend with grip levels that shift suddenly from tarmac to gravel and back again in the middle of the climb. With an average grade of 12% and an uneven surface bounded by serious drops above the treeline, Mt. Washington requires courage, skill and the right equipment for the challenge.

The highly developed aero package on the Airslayer STI provided a significant downforce advantage against the 600-horsepower WRX STI rally car used by Pastrana to set the 2017 mark. Along with a significant power bump, major suspension advancements and an ultra-light curb weight, the Airslayer was tailor-made for the wide-open mentality of hillclimbs. Still, the level of commitment displayed by Pastrana on the record run meant huge entertainment for the thousands of fans who lined the road at the spectator points along the roadway.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

8/22/2021 4:43 PM

There are not sufficient superlatives in our language to describe this run. Bloody Travis. What a star !!!

A question, would you like to be in the passenger seat if you were able to? Me? No way !!!

|

8/22/2021 4:50 PM

felpro wrote:

There are not sufficient superlatives in our language to describe this run. Bloody Travis. What a star !!!

A question, would ...more

I thought about it at the beginning then saw the cliff and said fuck that shit.

|

8/22/2021 5:41 PM

Unbelievable. That cliff towards the end…blink

|

8/22/2021 6:32 PM

I’m willing to bet he has zero ragrets about his decisions in life.

|

8/22/2021 6:39 PM

What a badass...plain and simple

|

8/22/2021 7:24 PM

Holeee shit blink

|

8/22/2021 7:27 PM

862 hp, holy shit

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

8/22/2021 9:18 PM

I cannot even fathom the skill and focus it takes to pull off a run like that! Hell, an hour before I watched it I hit the curb pulling into my own driveway. Travis is unreal and I have a lot of respect for any elite level talent like that. Insane!

|

8/22/2021 9:59 PM

There's not many sports that genuinely frighten me, but honestly rally is fucking nuts, and hill-climbing like this is a good example... crazy shit.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/22/2021 11:22 PM

That was cool. Seemed pretty conservative driving from Travis tho. Must not be very good grip on the black top. My top speed in a Mack truck pulling a loaded tanker is 138 mph. You only hold that speed for 3 min. Tops, because the tire is turning on the wheel and the tires are rated for 75 mph.We had a competition on who could get the highest top speed. Doing a pm the mechanic plugs into the ecm, all the info is there. I thought for sure I had it , another driver had 142 mph. One driver lost it in Tn. Ripped the whole cab off the frame and was killed. I know of a tanker driver that got a ticket for 168 mph , which is crazy. It’s actually a lot more active in a truck, bouncing , diving left and right, shaking like crazy. Every 1/4 second hz liquid totes surging back and forth,sideways. You work your ass off. Totes are much worse than a tanker. Air electronic trans gets replaced every 12- 20 k miles.

|

8/23/2021 10:22 AM

Gravel road with cliffs. No thank you.

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

8/23/2021 10:27 AM

Record SHATERED w00t

|

8/23/2021 12:16 PM

felpro wrote:

If I only had a definite small amount of time left to live, then yes because I know I'm dying of a heart attack on the way up blink

|

8/23/2021 12:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/23/2021 12:26 PM

he's not on a bike.

Anything is a motorcycle if you look at it the right way.
Photo
|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

8/23/2021 1:04 PM

that was insane, thanks for the link

|

8/23/2021 1:28 PM

I was legit white knuckled just watching that, holy shit. . .

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

8/23/2021 2:59 PM

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

862 hp, holy shit

862 HP and smashing the rev limiter shocked

|

8/23/2021 3:31 PM

Got to love Travis. Pedal through the floor and still takes the time to casually give a thumbs up to fans lining the side of the road. grin

|

8/23/2021 3:42 PM

I was up that road about 2 years ago. Took 20-25 min at tourist pace. Can't imagine even coming close to his pace. Like most videos, it was great but didn't give it enough justice. Would have been awesome to see it in person.

|

8/23/2021 4:49 PM

Those trees were moving a little too fast. Wild

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

8/24/2021 5:17 AM

Incredible. Thanks for posting.

|

8/24/2021 12:29 PM

You guys should see the Build Biology of that car on the Hoonigan channel, ill try and find it. The car is so ridiculous! Amazing piece of machinery.

Should also check out the latest Gymkhana with Travis where he shreds his hometown in MD. Thats what they built the car for.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

8/24/2021 12:31 PM

Here is the vid about the car:

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

8/24/2021 12:32 PM

Here is Gymkhana:

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

8/25/2021 7:19 AM

ocscottie wrote:

Here is Gymkhana:

Not sure if you saw the behind the scenes, but he was only able to hit the road jump two or three times. The limitation? How much his back could handle

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

8/27/2021 12:04 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

I’m willing to bet he has zero ragrets about his decisions in life.

Only one... that corvette

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

8/27/2021 10:06 PM

felpro wrote:

Riding in that passenger seat would require a popcorn box filled with tranquilizers...as that flag drops you start munching the things.

That race sure takes balls which travis has and it appears he aint worried about going off the edge whilst driving on the edge.

That time will be hard to better.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

8/28/2021 2:29 PM

Stuntman949 wrote:

Not sure if you saw the behind the scenes, but he was only able to hit the road jump two or three times. The limitation? How ...more

Yup watched all of that, pretty freakin amazing. Travis is gnarly, so you just know that was a hard hit.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

8/29/2021 7:01 PM

Mount Washington Hill climb is available on iRacing if you have it and want to try it. All I will say is I launched it over the edge numerous times.
Travis is a stud.

|