Toyota...goin' down?

TeamGreen
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 5:57am
SO, They've got their current Fluster-Fruckis with current re-call...Great Cars...eh?

Toyota Motor Co., the largest car manufacturer in the world, is facing huge losses after recalling and suspending sales of eight of its best-selling vehicles over a potentially dangerous problem with accelerator pedals.

BNN’s Michael Kane said Toyota’s decision to suspend Canadian and U.S. sales of eight of its most popular models -- including the best-selling Camry -- is a dramatic and unprecedented move.

“It’s a very, very big problem for Toyota,” Kane told CTV’s Canada AM on Wednesday. “Stopping production is one thing, stopping selling for an unknown length of time is a major expense for Toyota. It’s unprecedented: I haven’t heard of anything like this ever happening before.”

And it could deal a stunning blow to the company’s reputation and its fledgling earnings recovery.

In overnight trading in Japan, Toyota’s shares tumbled 4.3 per cent and in pre-market trading in New York, the automaker’s shares fell 7.5 per cent.

Toyota said it will suspend production at several manufacturing plants across North America, including those that produce Corolla, Matrix and RAV4 vehicles in Canada. The stoppage will take effect during the week of Feb. 1, "to assess and co-ordinate activities," Toyota said in an email to employees.

It’s not clear how long production will remain at a standstill, but the stoppage will affect plants in Cambridge, Ont., and Woodstock, Ont., where the company employs some 5,900 people. The company says workers at those facilities will not be sent home but have the option of receiving additional training, taking vacation time or unpaid leave.

Workers at Toyota plants in Kentucky, Indiana and Texas will also be affected. The company’s Japanese factories will not be affected, but the problem could spread to Europe, where similar accelerator parts are used, and could affect millions more vehicles.

The recall, which affects roughly 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. and 270,000 in Canada, was announced last week after reports emerged about problems with the accelerators in some models.

Kane said Toyota initially thought the problem was caused by floor mats jamming up against the vehicles’ accelerator pedals, but soon determined that it was far more serious.

“Turns out they have now uncovered a parts problem … in the pedal mechanism itself,” he said. “They’re going to have to go through the replacement of millions of these gas pedal assemblies.”

“It’s a dramatic move and an expensive move: that’s the bottom line.”

The Associated Press reported Wednesday the suspect parts are made in Canada, at a Mississauga, Ont., plant owned by Toyota supplier CTS Corp. -- according to a report Toyota handed to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last week.

The models affected by the recall are:

2009-2010 RAV4
2009-2010 Corolla
2009-2010 Matrix
2005-2010 Avalon
2007-2010 Camry
2010 Highlander
2007-2010 Tundra
2008-2010 Sequoia
The Camry was the best-selling midsize sedan in the U.S. as of December, with 34,000 units sold. Combined sales of the Corolla and Matrix there totalled 34,220 in December.

Last week, Toyota recalled vehicles in the U.S. and Canada in order to deal with accelerator pedals at risk of becoming stuck due to mechanical problems.

The company issued another recall in November. In that case, it was to keep gas pedals from becoming wedged under floor mats and affected some 4.2 million vehicles.

The floor-mat problem was believed to have caused several serious crashes, some of which were fatal.

The November recall did not apply to Canadian models. But the company advised Canadian owners of the Toyota Venza to remove drivers’-side all-weather floor mats.
|
Larry
1/27/2010 9:38am
If this was a computer problem wouldn't they be able to trace it?
Saw a news piece the other night where a Toyota employee had the problem and got the car to the dealership to show them.
TeamGreen
1/27/2010 10:07am
The politics of this are gettin' to be pretty huge.

It could be seen/said that the Plant Closings are a political reponse/move by Toyota.

In-fact: By the time that the Big-Hair Talking Head Ass-Holes get ahold of this...

Plant Closings = Retaliation.

I'm jus' sayin'...
Larry
1/27/2010 10:11am
How would it be political?
This is going to cost them a ton.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
1/27/2010 10:55am
Porsche did this in America back in 78. Basically they said, Americans are too stupid to drive our cars, so Americans do not get them.

I am thinking the same thing here. Maybe people, as sad as it is make sure the floor mat is securely placed where it should be or remove it all together. I own a Camry. Yes I saw this issue arise, so I reach down and pull the mat back.

Anyone remember the Audi issue in the mid 80's? Unintended acceleration?

The Shop

Larry
1/27/2010 11:09am
Tiki wrote:
Porsche did this in America back in 78. Basically they said, Americans are too stupid to drive our cars, so Americans do not get them. I...
Porsche did this in America back in 78. Basically they said, Americans are too stupid to drive our cars, so Americans do not get them.

I am thinking the same thing here. Maybe people, as sad as it is make sure the floor mat is securely placed where it should be or remove it all together. I own a Camry. Yes I saw this issue arise, so I reach down and pull the mat back.

Audi got screwed out of business by 60 minutes.
Rupert X
1/27/2010 12:12pm

Toyota will quickly rebound from this and continue to be a marque to be trusted.

Their HUGE throng of longtime clients that have had families raised on Toyotas

shall not turn their loyalty to another.

And some would say that this is a bright and brave move by the company, which

may in fact provoke more loyalty - than deter it....
newmann
1/27/2010 12:22pm
Congrats to Toyota for quickly recognizing the problem and taking necessary steps to remedy the situation. Funny how GM, Ford and Chrysler wait until there are untold numbers of deaths , multiple class action suits and federal involvement before they even acknowledge a problem. Can't say the wifes 06 Avalon has ever experienced any signs of the accelerator issue, but we have standard issue factory mats that are hooked in place. Lots of people throw a wal-mart pile of shit mat on top of the factory mats to keep them from getting soiled. No hooks, no velcro, no non skid backing.
SteveS
1/27/2010 12:23pm
If they have identified an actual mechanical problem in the pedal assembly (which is what all the new reports I've read say), it really wouldn't do much good to keep building cars with the defective pedal, now would it? And continuing to sell cars with a known safety defect that has caused several deaths wouldn't be very wise now, would it?

Seems like a very wise move to design a new pedal assembly and then have it manufactured to replace all the existing ones. This apparently involves several years of their most popular cars, and it would seem to be the most responsible thing to get all those fixed before resuming production.

Isn't this the type of behavior everyone has demanding from big corporations--to be responsible and to care about their customers?
SteveS
1/27/2010 12:25pm
Tiki wrote:
Porsche did this in America back in 78. Basically they said, Americans are too stupid to drive our cars, so Americans do not get them. I...

The Audi issue was really one of stupid people pushing on the gas pedal when they should have been pushing on the brake. The only "design flaw" was a gas pedal/brake pedal size, shape, and position difference from the American norm.
TeamGreen
1/27/2010 12:37pm
newmann wrote:
Congrats to Toyota for quickly recognizing the problem and taking necessary steps to remedy the situation. Funny how GM, Ford and Chrysler wait until there are...
Congrats to Toyota for quickly recognizing the problem and taking necessary steps to remedy the situation. Funny how GM, Ford and Chrysler wait until there are untold numbers of deaths , multiple class action suits and federal involvement before they even acknowledge a problem. Can't say the wifes 06 Avalon has ever experienced any signs of the accelerator issue, but we have standard issue factory mats that are hooked in place. Lots of people throw a wal-mart pile of shit mat on top of the factory mats to keep them from getting soiled. No hooks, no velcro, no non skid backing.
You are SOOOOOOOOOO off the target...

Toyota has done EXACTLY what you've said the Terrible American Companies have done.

For 5 fuckin' YEARS...Exactly.

Dude, you oughta catch up to what's actually goin' on...and...quit makin' foolish assumptions.

I'm jus' sayin'...
newmann
1/27/2010 3:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:24pm
TeamGreen wrote:
You are SOOOOOOOOOO off the target... Toyota has done EXACTLY what you've said the Terrible American Companies have done. For 5 fuckin' YEARS...Exactly. Dude, you oughta...

Toyota has done EXACTLY what you've said the Terrible American Companies have done.

Dude, you oughta catch up to what's actually goin' on...and...quit makin' foolish assumptions.

I'm jus' sayin'...
You sound angry. Let me guess, your dad worked for one of the big three? Toyota has stepped up to the plate and handled issues that the others would have swept under the rug and never done anything about. And I do realize over the last five or so years that Toyota has had tremendous growth and that there have been some quality issues. Minor quality issues from my viewpoint as I am in the collision repair business and I have to deal with a lot of vehicle issues. But I see them taking a proactive approach as opposed to Ford and the Explorer fiasco. What exactly do you see them doing SOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong that the big three have done SOOOOOOOOOOO much better?

As for GM , Ford and Chrysler, I've said it before, if it wasn't for their full size trucks and SUV's they would be in a world of shit. And when gas prices were lingering in the five dollar a gallon range, guess what? They were in a world of shit.
jib-tmb
1/27/2010 4:00pm
Toyota has their act together. Their dedication to quality is unmatched IMO. I've owned nothing but Toyota's since "91" and I don't plan on changing because of this recall. When I go to the dealer with a problem they don't give me a line of shit, they take care of it. Then they send me a survey to find out if I was satisfied with the service.

jmar
1/27/2010 4:40pm
I find it funny that Toyota has never had any problems like this until the government got involved with GM.

I own a Lexus and I will continue to buy Toyota products.
jonjon714
1/27/2010 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2010 4:50pm
Jim Martin is right, a conspiracy to the core. But it started with the 2005 model. Hmmmm...hey, now wait just a cotton picking second here; wasn't that the same year Bush blew up the levees and Superdome in New Orleans? Quick, somebody get Jesse Ventura on the horn to get to the bottom of this!!!
Scotty
1/27/2010 5:12pm
That original accident that killed the family of four happened right down the street from my house. They hit a 5 foot tall dirt bank doing 120mph and launched. Sad deal and I would imagine some huge lawsuits are in the works also.
jmar
1/27/2010 5:16pm
jonjon714 wrote:
Jim Martin is right, a conspiracy to the core. But it started with the 2005 model. Hmmmm...hey, now wait just a cotton picking second here; wasn't...
Jim Martin is right, a conspiracy to the core. But it started with the 2005 model. Hmmmm...hey, now wait just a cotton picking second here; wasn't that the same year Bush blew up the levees and Superdome in New Orleans? Quick, somebody get Jesse Ventura on the horn to get to the bottom of this!!!
Lot's of recall activity going on at Toyota right now.

Let me ask you a honest question. Do you personally know anyone that has had a problem with their accelerator sticking on their Toyota.?
fcr
1/27/2010 5:18pm
My daughters Camary sp , has been having problems with this not the mat, but reving since we got it. 08. Toyota said nothing is wrong since the beginning.
jonjon714
1/27/2010 5:26pm
jonjon714 wrote:
Jim Martin is right, a conspiracy to the core. But it started with the 2005 model. Hmmmm...hey, now wait just a cotton picking second here; wasn't...
jmar wrote:
Lot's of recall activity going on at Toyota right now. Let me ask you a honest question. Do you personally know anyone that has had a...

Let me ask you a honest question. Do you personally know anyone that has had a problem with their accelerator sticking on their Toyota.?
F'in with you. And no I honestly don't know anyone with a sticking throttle. But I own an 06 Tundra that was recalled shortly after I got it for a control arm / ball joint issue. Over 500,000 were in this recall in 2007.

tuz371
1/28/2010 5:30am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:24pm
TeamGreen wrote:
The politics of this are gettin' to be pretty huge. It could be seen/said that the Plant Closings are a political reponse/move by Toyota. In-fact: By...
The politics of this are gettin' to be pretty huge.

It could be seen/said that the Plant Closings are a political reponse/move by Toyota.

In-fact: By the time that the Big-Hair Talking Head Ass-Holes get ahold of this...

Plant Closings = Retaliation.

I'm jus' sayin'...
So now that Toyota is expanding the recall to Europe and China, I guess that means Toyota is taking its toys and going home? Wow, Toyota sure is going to show the US , Europe and China that they don't deserve a Toyota.

Toyota is starting to sound like the Apple snobs. Must be all the Prius owners sniffing their own farts have offended the Japanese.

FYI - I have an '09 Matrix with no accelerator problems.
drmarkr
1/28/2010 6:23am
jonjon714 wrote:
jmar wrote:
Lot's of recall activity going on at Toyota right now. Let me ask you a honest question. Do you personally know anyone that has had a...

Bingo. Political bullshit.

I'd get some serious entertainment out of Toyota saying 'fuck you' to the American market for their stupidity of letting the government start jerking the company around.....and then having a backlash by all the Toyota owners against the pols.

If you know someone/anyone that has actually had a problem with this, post up. I wanna hear about it. I have an 05 Avalon and have had no problems with the accelerator.
tuz371
1/28/2010 10:15am
How many here have had personally experienced a vehicluar problem that was covered by a recall?

TeamGreen
1/28/2010 10:30am
TeamGreen wrote:
You are SOOOOOOOOOO off the target... Toyota has done EXACTLY what you've said the Terrible American Companies have done. For 5 fuckin' YEARS...Exactly. Dude, you oughta...

I'm jus' sayin'...
newmann wrote:
You sound angry. Let me guess, your dad worked for one of the big three? Toyota has stepped up to the plate and handled issues that...
You sound angry. Let me guess, your dad worked for one of the big three? Toyota has stepped up to the plate and handled issues that the others would have swept under the rug and never done anything about. And I do realize over the last five or so years that Toyota has had tremendous growth and that there have been some quality issues. Minor quality issues from my viewpoint as I am in the collision repair business and I have to deal with a lot of vehicle issues. But I see them taking a proactive approach as opposed to Ford and the Explorer fiasco. What exactly do you see them doing SOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong that the big three have done SOOOOOOOOOOO much better?

As for GM , Ford and Chrysler, I've said it before, if it wasn't for their full size trucks and SUV's they would be in a world of shit. And when gas prices were lingering in the five dollar a gallon range, guess what? They were in a world of shit.
Oh, poor newman, assigning anger and making assumptions that are Bass-Ackwards...

Go do your homework, my only anger is with shear ignorance.

Since 2005 Toyota's avioded this issue...as in "Swept under the Rug"...Collateral Damage Control...Toyota doesn't engage in that?

Good luck with that Wal-Mart Crytal Ball you used to guess where my dad worked.

The -2- y/o, that's currently sitting @ my drum-kit behind me..hammering away, has better guessing skills than you.

R U Nacho's lil' brother?

I'm jus' sayin'...
Rupert X
1/28/2010 10:37am
jonjon714 wrote:
jmar wrote:

drmarkr wrote:
Bingo. Political bullshit. I'd get some serious entertainment out of Toyota saying 'fuck you' to the American market for their stupidity of letting the government start...
Bingo. Political bullshit.

I'd get some serious entertainment out of Toyota saying 'fuck you' to the American market for their stupidity of letting the government start jerking the company around.....and then having a backlash by all the Toyota owners against the pols.

If you know someone/anyone that has actually had a problem with this, post up. I wanna hear about it. I have an 05 Avalon and have had no problems with the accelerator.

Didn't you have a situation where the accelerator on your CR 500 stuck ?

Do tell.

TOYOTAS RULE !
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
1/28/2010 11:04am
jonjon714 wrote:
jmar wrote:

Yes, then I reach down and pull the floor matt back. The first time it happened I was like "what the hell is wrong with the floor matt" My foot felt it right away. I dont know how you cant feel the rise in the floor matt?
dirthead1
1/28/2010 1:00pm
Scotty wrote:
That original accident that killed the family of four happened right down the street from my house. They hit a 5 foot tall dirt bank doing...
That original accident that killed the family of four happened right down the street from my house. They hit a 5 foot tall dirt bank doing 120mph and launched. Sad deal and I would imagine some huge lawsuits are in the works also.
I wondered how a CHP officer couldn't figure out how to stop the car. Just seemed really weird and I almost thought it was a suicide.
SteveS
1/28/2010 1:33pm
Elkhart, Ind.-based CTS Corp., which made the parts, is cranking out redesigned gas pedal assemblies that fix the problem, which is caused by condensation around an arm attached to the pedal and springs that send the pedal back to the idle position.

Toyota engineers are developing ways to repair the pedal systems in existing cars and trucks, said spokesman Brian Lyons.

No decision has been made yet on whether to repair the pedals or replace them altogether, he said, and he would not estimate how long it will take for customers to see action. Lyons says the automaker has not decided if the new pedals will go to dealers or factories.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-pedal-maker-says-apf-395647835.htm…
1/28/2010 1:56pm
Toyota started going into the shitter when they began letting us lazy Americans put their product together.
SteveS
1/28/2010 2:01pm
Hey, maybe its a UAW conspiracy!
newmann
1/28/2010 2:29pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Oh, poor newman, assigning anger and making assumptions that are Bass-Ackwards... Go do your homework, my only anger is with shear ignorance. Since 2005 Toyota's avioded...
Oh, poor newman, assigning anger and making assumptions that are Bass-Ackwards...

Go do your homework, my only anger is with shear ignorance.

Since 2005 Toyota's avioded this issue...as in "Swept under the Rug"...Collateral Damage Control...Toyota doesn't engage in that?

Good luck with that Wal-Mart Crytal Ball you used to guess where my dad worked.

The -2- y/o, that's currently sitting @ my drum-kit behind me..hammering away, has better guessing skills than you.

R U Nacho's lil' brother?

I'm jus' sayin'...
Funny stuff TG. Especially the "Crytal Ball", not sure what that is since my guessing skills aren't up to 2 year olds levels. And other than a fondness for old Honda's, Bonepony, uh I mean Nacho and I really don't share many of the same views.

Locally, Toyota is getting inventory from Gulf States Toyota, vehicles that have already had the recall work completed. That may not last long though. One local dealer had 250 calls yesterday regarding the recall so no doubt it is a big issue. Gas pedals are getting trimmed down to provide clearance or being replaced, carpet padding thickness is getting trimmed down and throttle cables are getting shimmed at the throttle body to prevent sticking on some models. There's a problem, they are fixing it. I can't ask for much more. Seems like less of a hassle than the big three always made it out to be. Maybe it's just because they have so many different recalls.

Post a reply to: Toyota...goin' down?

The Latest