Tool tracking Apps

Sparkalounger
So... kinda funny here.
I have been a member for over 14 years (lost accounts). Used to post a lot on here and motnews...
Haven't posted in years and now this, hahaha.

Since it seems there is always someone on here that will know about any given topic I thought I would give you all a try.
(I trust moto brethren more than anyone, hahaha)

I have been tasked with setting up a cloud based tool crib for our small company and thought I would see if any of you have had any experience with these.
Looking for an app that lets us inventory our small tools for a commercial building maintenance and construction company.
Something that would allow us to see all of our tools and where they are at any given moment. May or may not want / need gps locating.
So if we have 7 hammer drills, where are they? Who has them checked out.

I suggested we use the dewy decimal system but it was quickly shot down...

There are many to choose from, maybe you have used one or two?
|
TXDirt
11/19/2018 3:28pm
Are you going to use some kind of barcode like a QR code or something stuck on each tool?
Sparkalounger
11/19/2018 3:39pm
TXDirt wrote:
Are you going to use some kind of barcode like a QR code or something stuck on each tool?
I believe that will be the case. Some apps go that route, some don't.
I will be starting to inventory everything next week.
Right now we really have no idea what we have or where it is at.
We are currently at 23 employees with 18 vans on the road. We hope to double in the next two years and need to get this under control...

The Shop

SEEMEFIRST
11/25/2018 3:21pm
Milwaukee sells cordless tools with a built in locator.
We've got a few but never used the app because we only work in one location.

Won't help with existing tools, but might make new one's easier to track.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/25/2018 3:47pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Milwaukee sells cordless tools with a built in locator. We've got a few but never used the app because we only work in one location. Won't...
Milwaukee sells cordless tools with a built in locator.
We've got a few but never used the app because we only work in one location.

Won't help with existing tools, but might make new one's easier to track.
I have the milwaukee tools with the bluetooth. It's a good idea but poorly executed. The app doesn't work that great, and I find it frustrating how little you can modify the settings on the drill. Milwaukee acting like people don't drill with the clutch, or drive screws with the clutch locked out.
SEEMEFIRST
11/25/2018 5:39pm
Ah, didn't know if it worked or not.
My only try at a solution. I have no idea how you track something like that without having to check it in and out daily. (Or out then in, I suppose)
SEEMEFIRST
11/25/2018 5:46pm
So, I just read your post again.
I can't stand running screws with a drill motor because of the flywheel effect. I use impacts for that.
Why would you want to clutch a drill motor?

I is confused. Not trying to be an ass, just wondering what you're drilling to need the motor cluched.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/25/2018 7:06pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
So, I just read your post again. I can't stand running screws with a drill motor because of the flywheel effect. I use impacts for that...
So, I just read your post again.
I can't stand running screws with a drill motor because of the flywheel effect. I use impacts for that.
Why would you want to clutch a drill motor?

I is confused. Not trying to be an ass, just wondering what you're drilling to need the motor cluched.
Don't run many screws with the drill, but impacts are slower for long skinny screws. The impacts just get absorbed by the screw without turning the end of it much.
Use the clutch when drilling the big stuff. Hurt my wrist when I was a kid and the spade bit caught a knot. These days I set the clutch to the highest setting when I can get away with it and have a bit of peace of mind knowing the drill can't torque my wrist too hard.
SEEMEFIRST
11/26/2018 9:26am
Got ya.
I'm usually drilling metal, and wasn't thinking about that.

Post a reply to: Tool tracking Apps

The Latest